[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay guys, I need your help here. I watched the original Macross
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: SDF-1-1_DYRL.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SDF-1-1_DYRL.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Okay guys, I need your help here.

I watched the original Macross series and the movie DYRL.

DYRL seems to be a movie that takes the story of the original series and narrates it another way.

The problem is a lot of things differ between the original series and the movie. And apparently, things from both are taking into accounts for the other Macross series, and that's disturbing. In a lot of ways. As many as the differences between the original series and the DYRL movie.
And as I lurked more and more on the Internet, I only get myself more confused.

So please tell me, which is canon and which is not ?
Why is there so much differences between the original series and its movie ?
Why is it so confusing ?
>>
It's all canon. Don't question it.

Kawamori doesn't care and neither should you.
>>
>>14239620
>Sense
>Japan
Pick one.
>>
Consider both like different fictionalizations of the same historical events, like one is a TV docudrama and the other's a big budget Hollywood movie, both with their own artistical liberties added.
It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but don't overthink it.
>>
Basically the gist of the events are canon, but smaller details may not be(i.e. How did Roy die? What Valkyrie did Hikaru pilot? etc.). The "canon" in macross is that all the Macross media we see are in-universe retellings of an actual history.

Basically its best to just go along for the ride and not sweat too many details.
>>
>>14239630
>Sense
>any country
Pick one.
>>
>>14239642
>Sense
>humans
Pick one and only one.
>>
>B-BUT WHICH ONE IS REAL

Fucking pick one if it matters that much the rest of the series don't care outside broad strokes
>>
TV series is canon. DYRL is only good for the gorgeous visuals. It actually ruined the universe by retconning Zentradis as ugly green mutants.
>>
So this is all just a big mess and I shouldn't complain about details ? Seems legit.

In my opinion, the original series is superior to the movie btw. The movie is kinda bad, and I just love the original series.

So I just don't have to sweat about details and get myself on the Macross train, huh.

Yep, seems totally legit.

Although it'd be nice if some details could have been set in stone though. Well.
As long as those details don't change in-between series, it should be okay. I guess. I think. I hope.
>>
>>14239654
First of all, that's not this works considering between the series and DYRL, the latter gets referenced much more even to today. Second of all, I'm pretty sure the word of Kawamori takes precedence here and he says it all happened

>>14239657
>So this is all just a big mess
It's not really a mess, it's just like don't sweat the finer details. For example, it's not like the trio of Zentraedi spies is ever brought up again
>>
>>14239657
Keep saying "legit", you fucking normiebook tumor.
>>
>>14239663
>It's not really a mess, it's just like don't sweat the finer details. For example, it's not like the trio of Zentraedi spies is ever brought up again

Seems like a mess to me. But either way, I shouldn't care if the previous series is not brought up again in the other series.
And as long as details are not changed in-between series, it should be fine.
And also please tell me, the other movies (yes, I didn't watch them yet) are NOT movies that rewrites their original series like DYRL, right ?
>>
>>14239657
Most of the time Zentraedis in 7 are greyish skinned dudes with green/blue/whatever hair like in the show, then Excedore kept his broccoli man look from DYRL.
It's weird.
>>
>>14239657
It's more a matter of the Japanese and Oriental countries in general not caring much about canon, since canon is more of a Western thing
>>
>>14239671
>But either way, I shouldn't care if the previous series is not brought up again in the other series.
Well, no actually, usually it's pretty common for the previous series' to get a nod. Even up to today

>And also please tell me, the other movies (yes, I didn't watch them yet) are NOT movies that rewrites their original series like DYRL, right ?
7 no. Frontier, oh yeah.

IT'S ALL CANON, DON'T QUESTION IT
>>
>>14239670
Why don't you kill yourself so you don't have to deal with anymore "normies", you disgusting faggot.
>>
>>14239671
>And also please tell me, the other movies (yes, I didn't watch them yet) are NOT movies that rewrites their original series like DYRL, right ?
Only Frontier's is a retelling.
7's is basically an extra 30 minutes long episode about Basara not having a giantess fetish.
>>
>>14239685
You forgot to say "legit". Could have tossed a "literally" in there, too.
>>
>canon

neither are and both are. Neither shows the actual events as they happened and DYRL is an in-universe movie.

Now take the concept of canon, and how important it is, and fuck yourself with it.
>>
>>14239676
>>14239679
>>14239681

Okay. Now that I'm informed, I should accept things more easily.

So last question.
>>And also please tell me, the other movies (yes, I didn't watch them yet) are NOT movies that rewrites their original series like DYRL, right ?
>7 no. Frontier, oh yeah.

Is there any point at watching the Frontier movies then ?
I mean, if anything is canon and the details are (almost) never brought up in later series, is there ANY point to watch the Frontier movies ?
Are they good enough for me to watch even if they re-do the Frontier story ?
>>
>>14239708
>Is there any point at watching the Frontier movies then ?
Yes. They offer a better conclusion and are generally considered to be a lot better than the series overall
>>
File: 1303779738608.png (38 KB, 198x199) Image search: [Google]
1303779738608.png
38 KB, 198x199
>>14239663
>For example, it's not like the trio of Zentraedi spies is ever brought up again

>most important alien niggas in history
>never brought up again
This is some real horseshit.
I wanna know if they ever got a business off the ground.
>>
>>14239725
Okay, then I'll give them a shot.
And I hope they won't be as bad as DYRL.

Thanks, marvelous /m/ anons.
>>
>>14239738
Yeah I really liked those guys
>>
>>14239654
>TV series is canon. DYRL is only good for the gorgeous visuals.

TV series and DYRL are both canon
>>
File: XkpdZJX.jpg (186 KB, 1280x889) Image search: [Google]
XkpdZJX.jpg
186 KB, 1280x889
>>14239620
If episode 5 of Macross Delta is anything to go by then DYRL is considered canon.
>>
>>14239620
In a later interview somewhere, Kawamori basicly said all macross stories are works of fiction within the macross universe, so he doesn't have to bother with canon contradictions, the truth is similiar but not litereally exactly like what we see.

Before that interview, DYRL the movie was just a work of fiction inuniverse,. while the TV show was canon. Visually DYRL was cannon though (green zentrans etc)
>>
>>14239620
I don't get the obsession with canon. Just enjoy your different stories.
>>
All of them are canon and not canon at the same time.

Its like trying to figure out the real history by watching WWII movies. All you can establish is that the war and certain battles happened and it ended in the victory of the allied forces. Same logic here.

The first space war with the Zentradi happened and Minmay was certainly one of the major people in the war, but did Minmay sing Ai Oboete Imasuka at the real final battle? Who knows.
But that doesn't matter, if they do indeed refer back to a past incident, they don't go into details, just "This incident happened".
>>
>>14239623
this. nips in general don't give a shit about canon
>>
>>14239620
According Shoji Kawamori he treats Macross as Metafiction. A story within a story. There are three narrations of Space War 1. SDF Macross, Macross DYRL and Macross The First.

However if we go by the official material Macross Chronicle and the sequel Macross 7 DYRL is an in-universe propaganda movie.
>http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRworldguide/27aPropagandaMovies.php
Worldguide 27A: Propaganda Movies
Movie: "Do You Remember Love"
Released 2031.02

It is more like the events of SDF Macross while the visuals DYRL.

The only other major Macross continuity is Macross II where it is a direct sequel to DYRL. Macross 2036 and Macross Eternal Love Song PCE games were tie-ins to Macross II Lovers Again the same year it was released.

Macross II Timeline.
>http://superspacefortress.blogspot.com/2011/11/prior-to-introduction-of-macross-plus.html
>>
>>14241633
because people like world building and how things connect to each other. That's one of the things people like with things that span multiple works
>>
>>14243657
>because people
No the West is the one obsessed with that. Japan doesn't take canon as overly literal the same way
>>
>>14243694
tell that uc gundam fans
>>
>>14243702
Even the UC has AUs in it now, nobody cares.
>>
The only canon you sure care about is a Macross cannon.
>>
>>14243702
[citation needed]
>>
>>14241861
But if you don't watch UC in production order, you may as well kill yourself
>>
>>14239738
One of them ended up getting married to a bridge bunny and their grandaughter was a character on some spinoff from what I've heard.
>>
>>14244428
iirc they each married a bunny
>>
If you asked, the movie would seem to be the official story as Exsedol from the movie is pretty much the same in Macross 7.
But this is all just in visuals, all official however.
>>
>>14243657
In any long running franchise though shit is constantly thrown out with retcons or clueless writers, look at what a fucking mess Star Trek is for example. The notion of some almighty canon is ridiculous.
>>
>>14244524
Best to leave the canon to the Bible where it originated from
>>
>>14239826
>DYRL is an in-universe film; it's not surprising that people in-universe would reference its ideas when it comes to historical figures. Also, within seconds, episode 5 shows a picture taken directly from their wedding that happened in the TV show, events that directly contradict what happened in DYRL.
>>
>>14239620
>So please tell me, which is canon and which is not ?

No one is canon. In the Macross universe you never ever see the real events taking place. All that you see are tv series/ovas/films that are fictionalized accounts of the real in-universe events. That's way the appearance of the Zentran changes from the tv series, to DYRL to Macross 7, to Frontier and Delta. And it's not the only example. You are never watching the real events. Kawamori said so. So accept it.
>>
>>14244559
Basicaly, both are canon, like we're saying
>>
>>14239826
>If episode 5 of Macross Delta is anything to go by then DYRL is considered canon.

No, because Delta is not a depiction of the real events taking place. Think of Delta as a tv series made by a Macross in-universe tv producer. Said tv producer referenced another in-universe film (DYRL). That's all there is.
The real audience, you, me, the rest of /m/ following Delta see only a fictionalized account of real historical in-universe events. But we don't see the events proper. Watching the Macross universe is like studying history through the lens of the history channel. Fictionalized accounts galore.
>>
>>14239620
Whoo cares just watch both

DYRL is way better if you watch the TV show first, doesn't feel as shallow.
>>
>>14244586
>is like studying history through the lens of the history channel. Fictionalized accounts galore.

Bill O'Reilly Jr. continues his father's "Killing" series of books with the acclaimed best selling book, "Killing Earth," with forward by Chief Archivist Exsedol Folmo.
>>
>>14244524
Star Trek is a pretty medium level example of continuity mess. When you could have gone with the fucked up non-continuities of Doctor Who or Star Wars Expanded Univarse I'm surprised you went with something as sane as Star Trek.
>>
>>14245708
Good point. +1 internets to you, sir/ madam.
>>
Haven't watched much Macross is there a guide or anything?
>>
>>14246625
Holy shit where do you people keep coming from? Go on wikipedia, and watch each series in the order it was made. This is true for literally every thing.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.