[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/m/ you told me this was good, but you didn't tell me it'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
/m/ you told me this was good, but you didn't tell me it'd be this fucking good. Holy shit it was incredible, like a mix of Top Gun, Ghost in the Shell, and Hatsune Miku with a touch of the first Die Hard thrown in at the end.

On top of all of that the OVA animation was incredible and the story/characters were new and refreshing.

After finishing Plus i'm not quite half way through the Macross franchise but I would be very very (pleasantly) surprised if it didn't just reach its high water mark.

It was just one of the best /m/ things I have ever seen period I think.
>>
Fuck, the music was incredible too. I'm just going to have to watch anything that Yoko Kanno was involved in at this point.
>>
It's probably the best battles I've ever seen but I didn't care much for the rest of it. I can rewatch those battles any time though
>>
>>14238593
The one and world it set up were way more interesting than the later additions of the series presented.
>>
>>14238629
Plus doesn't have that many action scenes, but they are excellent. The fight between Isamu and Guld in the city toward the end is one of my all time favorite mecha fights.
>>
>>14238593
>story/characters were new and refreshing
Ha.
>It was just one of the best /m/ things I have ever seen period
So you've seen all of maybe five /m/ works then. Alright.
>>
File: X9.gif (26 KB, 288x213) Image search: [Google]
X9.gif
26 KB, 288x213
>>14238593
best music, battles and animation
best battle is VF-21 vs X-9

nothing better comes after plus at least in these 3 aspects
>>
>>14238789
and best girl
>>
>>14238651
Butthurt Zerofag
>>
>>14238599
>I'm just going to have to watch anything that Yoko Kanno was involved in at this point.
This is a good plan
>>
SHARON APPLE IS THE BIGGEST SLUT IN ALL OF MACROSS
>>
>>14238651
>I have some vague complaint about this series that I am either unwilling or unable to articulate
>>
>>14238593
>the story/characters were new and refreshing.
This was the thing where a guy just forgets that he's a rapist and everyone else lets him slide on it, right?
>>
>>14238893
>>14238893

Whats that have to do with anything? In a genre and series filled with "war is hell" and child soldiers who learn about themselves and the universe by taking part in a war, a show about test pilots vying for a government contract is clearly a deviation from the norm.
>>
>>14238908
>a show about test pilots vying for a government contract is clearly a deviation from the norm.
It would have been great if that had actually been the entire premise of Plus instead of just the first episode
>>
>>14238923
Its the main plot for the first three episodes until the project gets cancelled. The love triangle is clearly secondary.
>>
>>14238908
>excusing bad writing because you're too stupid to refute it
>>
>>14239396
I guess if I want to "refute" something I should just type one life of greentext like you, huh? At least I put forward a claim with some reasoning behind it.
>>
File: Super Nova testing 1.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Super Nova testing 1.webm
2 MB, 640x480
Plus had some pretty great animation and the music was decent, only Information High and Dog Fight stood out to me, but the actual plot and characters are incredibly shallow. I know you're still riding on that post-show high, OP but later on you're going to realize how poor everything else besides the animation and music is. Unless you literally don't care about bad story/shallow characters and only care about pretty animation then well more power to you.
>>
File: 1460728215122.jpg (75 KB, 440x660) Image search: [Google]
1460728215122.jpg
75 KB, 440x660
>The last 20 years of watching Macross stuff has been "Meh, still not as good as Macross Plus"
>>
>>14239404
Because letting a misunderstood incident that could easily be resolved by having two characters sit down and talk it out and instead ignoring it for the entire show just for cheap and easy drama is really stupid.
>>
>>14238893
I don't think he actually raped Myung, he almost did but had a moment of clarity before he acted on it. considering he's half-Zentaedi and its implied that his anger issues are common among those like him(and a significant number of the population is like him) they probably are more understanding of such a thing until it becomes an overt problem.

Also he's constantly haunted by that time to the point where he's always taking anger management pills.
>>
>>14239419
He's haunted by that moment and he's angry about it because he thinks Isamu tried to do something to Myung. He's an idiot.
>>
>>14239419
>I don't think he actually raped Myung, he almost did but had a moment of clarity before he acted on it.
That's still not something that you can just forget about and have everybody let it slide unless you're on Days of Our Lives. I don't think it's wrong to expect something better than literally soap opera plots.
>>
>>14239417
>by having two characters sit down and talk it out

Who exactly? Guld was the only one who didn't remember what happened. Its made very clear that after the incident happened everyone split and went their separate ways until they all meat back on Eden during the events of the show. This would be their first time to sit down and talk.

So what you're saying is either Myung and Guld needed to sit down and talk or Isamu and Guld needed to sit down and talk since both Myung and Isamu know the truth.

Its made obvious Myung doesn't want to talk about it with Guld due to her saying over and over again that she wants to "forget the past" or "wishes they'd never met". People coping with things they don't like by pretending they never happened is something that happens all the time in real life.

Isamu and Guld never sit down and talk because they're both overly hot headed, again an aspect for each of them that is emphasized very clearly througout the show. Futhermore, they're both rivals to win the competition, pitting them against each other in another way that makes them foes and makes it even less likely they'd ever sit down and have a polite conversation when they hate each others guts.

Granted the whole "I blocked the memory out" isn't exactly the strongest point of the writing but the circumstances surrounding the characters prevent it from being the tripe little understanding you make it out to be.

All and all if thats your main complaint its hardly justifiable to damn the whole entity on that alone.
>>
>>14238593
The plot is kinda weak. The character designs look a bit weird with those noses. Otherwise its just a huge splooge of production values. Believe it was the most expensive OAV made at the time of its making. Kawamori designed mechs. Yoko Kanno for music.

Kawamori wanted it to be a movie rather than a short oav, so the movie version actually flows better
>>
>>14239464
Oh no there's plenty of other things wrong with Plus' writing. Like that glasses guy that gave Sharon the AI chip in the first place. What was his plan? To just let an AI run amok for reasons? And then he just falls off the Macross and dies for no fucking reason. What was the point of Sharon even taking over the Macross? To give him Isamu that challenge he wanted? She didn't even know Isamu would arrive to earth to stop her and he didn't even show up for that reason. He only showed up to stop the Ghost project. And then there's Guld being a complete asshole. Forget the memory loss thing, he tried to murder Isamu twice over stupid petty reasons. I'm supposed to give a shit this asshole died? Plus is an incredibly flawed anime but most people give it a pass because it looks pretty.
>>
>>14238893
>rapist
No, he just flipped mad shit.
>>
>>14239490
>Like that glasses guy that gave Sharon the AI chip in the first place. What was his plan? To just let an AI run amok for reasons?

To complete his waifu

>And then he just falls off the Macross and dies for no fucking reason

Sharon tricked/hypnotized him into jumping as she no longer needed him and only wanted Isamu

>She didn't even know Isamu would arrive to earth to stop her and he didn't even show up for that reason. He only showed up to stop the Ghost project

Sharon was monitoring the whole situation the entire time through all the cameras they made a point to show over and over, she knew what was happening.

>Forget the memory loss thing, he tried to murder Isamu twice over stupid petty reasons

It was the Zentradi anger issues compounded by the stress of using the experimental brain machine thing in fighter.

>I'm supposed to give a shit this asshole died?

Thats sort of up to you I guess. I didn't exactly weep bitter tears but it was a bit sad that they made up and then he dies. Plus sort of the loss of the friendship they once had that they show in the flash backs and whatnot.
>>
>>14239526
>Sharon was monitoring the whole situation the entire time through all the cameras they made a point to show over and over, she knew what was happening.
From fucking EARTH? He was on Eden when he decided to fly off to earth.
>Sharon tricked/hypnotized him into jumping as she no longer needed him and only wanted Isamu
>It was the Zentradi anger issues compounded by the stress of using the experimental brain machine thing in fighter.
>muh zentradi anger issues
He was in full control both those times. Especially when he plotted the whole training accident thing.
He was still himself when he jumped. The guy was just batshit insane.
>>
>>14239419
>he's always taking anger management pills
I thought those were concentration pills for the YF-21's brain linkage thing.
>>
>>14239449
Again, everyone in that world grew up knowing Zentraedi hybrids where prone to those sort if outbursts. Its still an issue, buy their way of choosing to deal with it was to try to ignore it, which obviously had major repercussions.
>>
>>14239415
For me it's always been "meh not as good as DYRL".

I really don't like Plus. Outside of it's battles of course
>>
>>14239526
>Sharon tricked/hypnotized him into jumping as she no longer needed him and only wanted Isamu
No anon, he was just crazy.
>>
>>14239609
>No anon, he was just crazy.
He was in love with Sharon. Sharon was just using him and when she was done with him he was disposed of. It wasn't suicide.
>>
>>14239505
>No, he just flipped mad shit.
It was definitely a sexual assault, but not a rape
>>
>>14239854
>Sharon was just using him
Except Sharon was never shown ever using or even acknowledging his existence. You can't make shit up to make up for bad writing.
>>
File: Untitled.png (977 KB, 680x852) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
977 KB, 680x852
>>14239876
Sharon has the power to make people do things against their will, as demonstrated when she makes the engineer kid try to shoot the MC in the face from the back seat.

And he gets that same weird tint on his face that the MC/everyone else gets when they're under her influence in the moments before he jumps.

Its not implicitly said in the show but no one is trying to "make shit up".
>>
The murdering Isamu thing was him just not concentrating. "Well, if I did this, then" looked just like "do this please" to the computer. The DNI equivalent of leaning over too far and pulling the stick when you do.
>>
>>14239916
What about the live ammunition?
>>
>>14239490
>Like that glasses guy that gave Sharon the AI chip in the first place. What was his plan? To just let an AI run amok for reasons? And then he just falls off the Macross and dies for no fucking reason. What was the point of Sharon even taking over the Macross?

Marj's motivations are not entirely clear. He certainly is in love with Sharon, but his vaguely sinister attitude belies a hidden agenda that is never known. He refers to the Macross City concert as being her "true debut". He was controlling Sharon as you would control any computer, and after the installation of the nuero-chip she flips the script.

Was his plan to take over the Macross? To infiltrate or sabotage the UN Spacy? He's really not much more than a plot device, to get Sharon to Earth and then press her "evil" button. His attempts to control Sharon ultimately empowering her.

Sharon is obviously a stand-in for Myung who at this point has retreated so far into herself that she can only let events wash over her. She doesn't want to be with Guld but doesn't know how to say no or is maybe afraid to. The trauma of his assault is what silenced her "voice", and her repressed desire ultimately manifests itself in Sharon. And Sharon despises Myung for it. So when Marj gives Sharon that power, she goes mad with it. Sharon is Myung's subconscious fears and desires made manifest.

Macross Plus is admittedly not the greatest plot but it's characterization is meaty and complex.
>>
>>14240024
I didn't meant to say "desires made manifest" twice :/
>>
File: YF-19.jpg (1 MB, 3703x2400) Image search: [Google]
YF-19.jpg
1 MB, 3703x2400
>>14238593
finished this with my sister. she found it entertaining and even got into the fight scenes, but she felt that the reconciliation between Isamu and Guld was rather quick and that the latter's death was pretty telegraphed as soon as the X-9 showed up. I think Plus has a ton of mainstream appeal when you take the solid dub into account, on top of the shorter format and great technical aspects.
>>
>>14240154
also, while Isamu has that sort of lovable jerk appeal, Guld and Myung are harder to care for, since the former seems pretty bent on what he thinks is both revenge and a solution to his own issues, and the latter is just darn mopey with little to show in terms of positive traits. Why the two guys are so fixated on her is acceptable, but it smacks of teenage attraction that hasn't been let go.
>>
Was this better animated than anything in the Gundam franchise?
>>
File: 1377899439689.jpg (1 MB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1377899439689.jpg
1 MB, 800x1200
>>14240411
0083 might compete, if we're using cel animation as a metric
>>
Call me a soft touch, but its almost raining in my room when I see the series bookends with these.

I dunno what it is about that, but its just so unique, I can't think of any other anime doing something like it.
>>
>>14240689
wait, somebody made a model of the rusted yard Gundam?
>>
>>14241014
>>14241014
>you will never be a pioneering mecha pilot aiming for the top

why live
>>
>>14241158
and you didn't give any insight into the future, either, you just watched more damn gundam
>>
>>14241159
I am the pioneer of my mothers basement
>>
Yeah its pretty easily the best macross has to offer. Only nostalgia fags will argue otherwise
>>
>>14238593
>like a mix of... Ghost in the Shell
If you're referencing the film, Macross Plus came first.
>>
>>14244563
Nah, just the over all tone, feel and theme of the rogue AI aspect of it all, not GiTS specific I guess. Could have said 'cyberpunk' instead but being anime and all I just defaulted to GiTS I guess
>>
>>14244538
He says as Plus is the most likely to be liked by nostalgiafags
>>
>>14244757
No, that would be 7
>>
>>14244835
No it would definitely be Plus. Plus the one that actually was licensed, is shorter, and feels the most "adult". How could it be 7? 7 hasn't been watched by that many people.
>>
>7 hasn't been watched by that many people.

??
>>
>>14244840
>7 hasn't been watched by that many people.
It has the most fucking sequels and side content than any other Macross. It's pretty damn popular.
>>
>>14244842
>>14244850
I was assuming we were talking about the West. I mean that's the only context "nostalgiafags" would be used since it's not like we talk about the Japanese opinions on things on a frequent basis and all Macross series have been different levels of popular over there
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.