[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will I miss when I watch the MSG film trilogy rather than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: rtDQfgmIMvw176gTb1-b==.jpg (36 KB, 341x500) Image search: [Google]
rtDQfgmIMvw176gTb1-b==.jpg
36 KB, 341x500
What will I miss when I watch the MSG film trilogy rather than the TV series?
>>
Gyan
>>
Nothing of value.
>>
sometimes slightly less rushed crappy animation
>>
>>14231061
around half the show, but people will tell you it's "nothing of value" because they havent seen it.
it's the same reason why people tell you to skip ZZ - they havent seen it themselves or just the first few episodes so they'll just say it's bad to justify not watching all of it
>>
>>14231061
a lot of character development
it's not like the other team wins or anything massive, and the movies do bring some good stuff to the table, but many hours of the characters playing off each other is lost, as are a lot of the background people
>>
>>14231085
But Anon Will I need them to watch Unicorn, CCA or Zeta? I am only watching this because I want to see one of the others but I want to know all of the lore first.
No?
Then I rest my case, it's nothing of value.
>>
>>14231089
Why is this a thing?
Zeta, CCA, and Unicorn are all Gundam shows with similar quality to the first series.
Why do people want to "get into Gundam" then skip one of the most important parts of the franchise, the beginning?
Honestly if you only want to watch a certain Gundam series just watch it instead of watching something you don't care about.
>>
>>14231061

you'll be a pleb instead of champion
>>
>>14231111
>>14231089

nevermind looks like it's too late
>>
File: 1331365357897.gif (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1331365357897.gif
1 MB, 640x480
>>14231089
>Implying character development isn't part of the lore

>>14231097
Most people here lately just want to get into Gundam to join in on the shitposting than enjoy it as a series
>>
>>14231089
Then just read a wikipedia summary.
>>
First Gundam is the best series in the franchise. In order to fully understand what Gundam is all about, you really ought to watch this series. It defined nearly all the tropes ilthe franchise still uses today (zeta defined the rest).

Is it perfect? No. But I think it is the most poignant
>>
>>14231089
yeah, gotta make sure you pass your gundam license test
>>
File: j2sz6abnw4rr3ka8.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
j2sz6abnw4rr3ka8.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>14231085
>a lot of character development

lol there isn't much character development to begin with
>>
>>14231272
character development like "Sulu's into botany and guns" not "then his gf dies" stuff
>>
>>14231061
you'll be missing salt
>>
>>14231061
the point
>>
>>14231061
You'd miss not being a giant faggot, is that a problem OP? If you can't be fucked watching what's considered to be one of, if not the greatest piece of /m/ media ever made what the hell are you doing here? If you're on 4chan your time can't be valuable and shows don't get followings as big as Gundam's for nothing. The show still holds up incredibly well even now. The first few episodes are amazingly well paced and structured and this remains solid throughout the whole series.
>>
Hey /m/, I'm looking to get into the Gundam franchise but I don't know where to start. Could you please help?

However, I have a few restrictions...I won't watch the following:

>Original Gundam
Too old

>Zeta
Too long

>ZZ
Heard it was bad

>Char's Counterattack
No movies

>0080
Some kinda lame aborted series no? Romance crap

>F91
Too short

>0083
Tryhard 80's

>Victory
Too sad

>G
Problematic

>Wing
Babby's first gundam, I don't want to be a pleb

>08th MS Team
Muh realism!

>X
Nobody likes

>Turn A
Ugly, kiddie designs

>G-Savior
No live-action

>SEED / SEED Destiny
Gundam for girls

>MS IGLOO
Cgi

>OO
Meme series

>Unicorn
Silly transforming mechs

>Gunpla Builders / Build Fighters / Gundam-san
Otaku pandering

>AGE
Kids stuff

>Reconguista in G
Ugly

>ORIGIN
Reboot!

>Iron-Blooded Orphans
Doesn't look like Gundam

>Thunderbolt
Too new and only 4 episodes

>SD
No chibi crap

Looking forward to your suggestions, I can't wait to marathon an episode on my phone. Once I'm an expert I will start advertising my YouTube channel. Thanks!
>>
>>14231492

there's always Dragon Ball Z for your kind
>>
>>14231502
I'm already an expert kid!

I guess Gundam isn't worth watching, seeing as even the fans of /m/ can't suggest anything.
>>
>>14231492
>>14231512
screencapping for ifunny
>>
>>14231512
You dont choose to be gundam, you have to be born gundam.
>>
File: poor bait.png (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
poor bait.png
17 KB, 200x200
>>14231492
Here is a (you)
>>
>>14231097
>Why do people want to "get into Gundam" then skip one of the most important parts of the franchise, the beginning?

Because people want to sound in the know and take part in the conversations with the least amount of effort possible.

It's also why you see so much misinformation in a lot of discussions - you start being able to tell who has watched and who's just running on hearsay and reading summaries.
>>
>>14231089
>but I want to know all of the lore first.
>I want to know all of the lore
>I want to know all
>to know all
Then you'll have to watch both the series and the movies.
If you like Gundam, you're probably going to want to watch the series anyway. The movies are the most important half of the story, but no matter how you look at it, it's still less than half of the run-time of the series.
If you don't like Mobile Suit Gundam, you probably aren't going to like the shows you're in a hurry to get to anyway.

If you just want to know enough to be able to shit out "opinions" on /m/, you don't even need to watch any of it. You can just play through the story on Dynasty Warriors Gundam or one of myriad Super Robot Wars games. Lots of people here only watched the movies and constantly congratulate each other on not wasting their time with the full series. But if you want to actually *know* what those people skipped instead of just trusting them to tell you how a show they didn't watch had nothing to offer, you'll need to see it yourself.
>>
>>14231061
Salt, mostly.

The movie trilogy of MSG actually does a damn good job getting the story across.

The Zeta movies are a travesty, however.
>>
>>14231089
>they took this obvious bait
>>
>>14231061
Doans down syndrome Zaku
>>
>>14231097
It annoys me so much how Gundam 0079 is just seen as a stepping stone to get to Zeta sometimes, especially by normies. It's the one of the best, if not the best, series in the franchise. Watching the movies that cuts it down into a much smaller time just ruins it. The movies aren't even bad, they're pretty great by compilation movie standards, it just annoys me how much people seem to want to rush through the franchise instantly.
>>
The meme that the trilogy is better is mostly bullshit. The TV series is pretty good provided you can survive the G Armor pandering stock footage in the middle of the series.
>>
>>14231061
forget about what you'll miss from the series and what you'll from the movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKmuluwCx-E
>>
>>14231061
A lot of things that you will see when you watch the TV series instead of the MSG film trilogy.
>>
Nothing important, honestly.

You still get the general story, they just took out filler and replaced some stuff (like putting in the superior Core Booster).
>>
>>14231741
Yeah brother le salt filler arc took up so much time xD nice one fellow memester-kun :^))))
>>
>>14231079
Let me dispell the notion the I don't know what I'm talking about when I say the movies are better. I've watched the TV show in its entirety, I know what I'm talking about when I say the movies are better.

For anyone who missed it, you won't lose anything of value from watching the movies before the TV show. But you can gain an appreciation for the movies if you choose to watch the TV show first, so do what you want.
>>
>>14235329
Fucking this. One episode where about 1/4 of it involved finding salt. Why do people have such a problem with this?
>>
>>14235346
If you plan on watching more Gundam, there is literally no reason to not watch the series. I'm tired of dealing with ADHD faggots who think Zeta and ZZ drag because they've never watched anything longer than 24 episodes. I have ADD and binged all of early UC in under a week, OVAs and all. There is literally no excuse for someone to cut out a large part of the viewing experience like that to progress to something else. It's like feeding half of your steak to your dog because you're allowed to have a couple oreos for dessert. Retards.
>>
>>14231079
But ZZ is terrible. The 'villains' are the most retarded of any Tomino work, almost none of the new characters are relateable or even likeable, Jewdough is a straight up Gary Stru.The biggest 'character development' is when two of Jewdough's friend decide to stop trying to murder him. Or and a garbage ending because CCA got green lit so Tomino had to add the worst filler episodes of any Gundam, ever, Tomino kills a character to try and force some development, but then brings her back to life because 'lol Tomino', and make some random named grunt suddenly put all his points into charisma and lead a civil war to help hand victory to the protag group.

ZZ accomplishes nothing outside of dealing with a loose end for Zeta of what happens with Axis Zeon. The Zeta Movies dealt with that in its ending.
>>
>>14231061
>What will I miss when I watch the MSG film trilogy rather than the TV series?
A ton of padding, filler, reused animation, dreadfully boring episodes spent on Earth, and more.

That said: watch the TV series faggot.
>>
File: 1419665743082.jpg (72 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1419665743082.jpg
72 KB, 960x720
>>14235386
>you cant enjoy zeta and double zeta!
I love Zeta and ZZ series though, and the original trilogy movies are still better.

>I binge watched all of early uc in less than seven day!
And you really shouldn't rush through them like that, if you binge, you'll inevitably miss details like character development or plot. Take you're time and enjoy watching them. The Trilogy movies for example. Just watch them at your leisure over the period of a few days to really let all that gundam set in.

And let's be real, the fuller stuff in the TV series is boring and doesn't even have character development.
>>
File: 1424062156740.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1424062156740.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
>>14231492
>>
>>14231089
You're obviously just Joshing me here but I really wonder why the fuck there are people who just wanna watch CCA of all things without any previous knowledge of the series. It's such a bizarre entry to suddenly give a crap about.
>>
>>14237420
It's probably Unicorn that they're really interested in
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.