[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robot Alchemic Drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Found this game at a Flea Market back in 2002. I loved it as a kid. Anyone else ever play it?
>>
I never played it, but I did play the demo for a week straight. That fucking jet mech was so cool.
>>
Yes. A ROBOT KILLED GRADMA
I've been meaning to go back to it and finish it.
>>
Good fun.
Multiplayer is a hoot.
>>
File: JSDF.png (2 MB, 720x2160) Image search: [Google]
JSDF.png
2 MB, 720x2160
>>
>>14229645

Yes, unfortunately. It's a fucking pile of hot garbage.
>>
>>14229645
controlling mech and doing special moves is amazing in this game. There has never been anything that controlled like it. Kind of a plausible story too considering outside earth is just bunch of radiation.
>>
>>14229645
>Anyone else ever play it?

It's a minor meme here OP. There's a small dedicated fanbase. Best mecha game I've played, can't stand arcadey crap.
>>
>>14229865
>arcadey crap

The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>14229645
Fuck yeah Gilang was muh mechfu
>>
>>14229901
The vast majority of mecha games are arcade style. You put your quarters in, use the simple, easy to grasp controls to zoom around and constantly press the fire button. Done.

RAD is pretty much the only game that captures the feel of piloting a giant, heavy experimental robot.
>>
I tried emulating it
Ran like shit
>>
>>14229645
It was a neat little game, even if the camera when using your mech could get annoying.
>>
>>14230120

So you've played maybe two /m/ games then. Good to know. Not surprising considering you like this, but still.
>>
one of the best /m/ games IMO.

the mecha felt like mecha and punching someone across a city block was amazing

the difficulty scaling was great too, I remember the stage where instead of sending 1 guy at a time the aliens send three at once
>>
I liked the controls and gameplay, they are awesome. Crossing your arms to prepare Vavel Kick (or whatever the name was) was fucking awesome, I even defeated the last 2 Volgara at once with it.

The story is not really the strong point, since the same city is attacked like, 50 times before they finally decide to evacuated the place. Also, the voiceovers range from funny to very, very annoying. The news caster, specially, who is a japanese woman trying to speak english. It sounds as good as you're thinking. The game gets more exposition-heavy near the end, but I didn't really care anymore. I liked how they didn't even bother patching a very glaring plot hole in one of the missions, they just roll with it because they wanted a fight against Godzilla. And it was awesome.

Some of the gimmicky stages are nice, but overall you just punch stuff and break things. The final stages can get pretty tough, specially the penultimate stage where you're fighting against two enemies at once and it's pretty hard to find a vantage point.

I'd mention the framerate, but you can see how much it dips when you start the game, so whatever.
>>
>>14232167
Wasn't the next-to-last stage the one where you smash up the crater base and then fight the waves of enemies? That one had a ridiculously easy vantage point because if you just left the Chairman at the starting point it overlooked the whole rest of the map, and it was part of the ground so enemies couldn't damage it.

If I recall correctly the voice acting was deliberately shitty to evoke the old monster movie dubs.
>>
>>14232174
Yeah, that one. I did that, but usually the Volgara just punched Vavel right on top of me, maybe I'm not remembering it well enough. Of mention is that you're only fighting 2 Volgara at once, but they're more vicious than any of the past Volgara. I remember you can fight up to 4 at once in that power plant stage, and they weren't as hard.

Maybe I was too good at the game or just rushed through it, but I never saw the cutscene of the the satellite firing at the final boss. I just defeated it before it happened, and only got a clue when I looked online.

About the voice acting, I know it's supposed to be corny, but the news reporter is really grating, mainly because you can't skip those parts. I thought she was trying a funny chinese accent, but once I saw who the VA was, I understood she was a japanese woman trying to talk school-taught English.
>>
AIIIIIII EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that shit had to be on purpose
>>
>>14232183
The final boss is glitchy as shit. If you beat it just by throwing grenades at it you can skip the entire fight and all the cutscenes, since it never aggros until the robot hits it and that's a required trigger for all the battle events.
>>
good concept with the vantage point thing, controls and weight feel great, but I can never find a good view and then cannot do anything.
>>
>>14232529
If you git gud at blocking and ducking, the most consistently useful vantage point is on top of the head or just next to it.

You can also press a button when you're standing in front of a door to teleport to the roof, which is often useful. I don't remember if you can do it to the huge building you have to protect on the city map, though.
>>
>>14230127
No shit dummy you need the super special robot controller
>>
File: 63747.jpg (185 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
63747.jpg
185 KB, 1024x768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3W4Vs_E0fo
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.