[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Gundam Wing is the worst Gundam is just a meme right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 737389092[1].jpg (152 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
737389092[1].jpg
152 KB, 1024x768
So Gundam Wing is the worst Gundam is just a meme right?
>>
There are worse Gundams, like Seed Destiny, Age, G-Reco, G Gundam, and IBO, so yes.
>>
Nope I tried watching it and fell asleep.
>>
It's average/mediocre. OST & great mech designs help keep it from being bottom of the barrel. Also with how seriously the show takes itself you can get quite a few good laughs out of the absurd nonsense going on.
>>
>>14228389
It's melodrama played straight, some people don't like that. Doesn't mean it isn't good.
It's one of my favorites.
>>
>>14228391
None of those are bad.
>>
It's main flaw, that most people seem to fail to remark on, is how damn slow it is. Even Turn A had more unique occurances and advancements in the story, and that show is known for being leasurely placed.

It almost feels like Wing was deliberately designed so you could turn the TV and catch the show at nearly any point on the story and still understand what is going on completely. Maybe that's part of why it took off overseas.
>>
>>14228389
Yes, because SEED and its derivatives exist
>>
>>14228389
Wing is alright, far from great. The only thing honestly bad about it is the constant stock footage and shit fights.

The broad characters, themes, and melodrama, the lack of nuance, is a matter of taste. Not necessarily good or bad.
>>
>>14228516

*tips vfin

they suck friend.
>>
>>14228391
>G-Reco
>G Gundam
>Bad
>No Build Fighter Try
Try harder sempai desu
>>
>>14228391
Fuck you. G Gundam was good.
>>
>>14228391
There are worse Gundams, like ZZ, Seed Destiny, 00, Age, and IBO.

Fixed
>>
>>14228389
It's second worst. While nearly every character and all their motivations were completely devoid of sanity or rational process, it did at least have a coherent plot, unlike Reco.
>>
Outside the realm of being mocked Wing's dull. Aside from when people are saying or (much more rarely because lol animation budget) doing something crazy they're mostly just being boring. It's far from the worst gundam but that's not really a compliment given the range of quality on that shit.
>>
Wing has the best grunt suits in the entire franchise. Prove me wrong.

>protip: you can't
>>
>>14228750
Out of curiosity what's wrong with Age? I plan to watch because I like the mobile suit designs.
>>
>>14229029

Dumb Katokuck.
>>
>>14228505
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
>>14228518
i disagree, by the halfway point the colonies are the enemy, and near the end gundams are entirely factionless and oz is perceived as good guys
>>
>>14228389

It's the best AU not made by Tomino actually. The middle third of it is genuinely good as well. It carries its themes of fighting losing battles regardless of how hopeless it is quite well. And despite people complaining about the whole "fight for pacifism" shtick, allot of the characters themselves mention how unrealistic of an idea it is throughout the show. Wing has completely ridiculous characters, especially the Gundam boys, but the plot and themes are actually pretty engaging and well thought out. I also like that the constantly shifting political situation, as factions keep splintering, changing goals, and showing signs of internal conflict. It keeps things fresh. The duels are good and the grunt vs grunt battles aren't bad either. The one gundam trashing 20 Leos battles are kind of boring, though watching the Gundams all get trashed by grunts around the middle of the show is pretty rewarding and makes up for it.
>>
>>14228389
Yes, its mostly weebs who hate it because they think only westerners like it. When in Japan, of course UC is revered and 0079 is only viewed with nostalgia goggles, but Wing is still more popular than a lot of other titles. I always see Wing kits in restocked in Japan, and at least the MG line has been pretty friendly to Wing.

Also I just re-watched the series last month, it still holds up.
>>
>>14228505
>It's melodrama played straight, some people don't like that

But why

That's the best thing
>>
>>14229205
The one Gundam trashing 20 Leos does kind of suck, but at least its explained in the series and then further in GoL. Gundanium basically can only be destroyed by heat. Which is why they blow up during self destruction, why they sent them into the sun in EW, and beam weapons (and a heatlance in GoL) can actually do damage.
Ground Leos shoot bullets, that's not going to damage Gundams at all.

Still yeah, the Gundams should have been nerfed down a bit.
>>
File: party hard.gif (729 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
party hard.gif
729 KB, 500x359
>>14228389

Define "worst" because Wing is one of the most internationally successful series despite its numerous problems.
>>
>>14228389

Yes, but it being the best AU is also a meme.
>>
>>14229287
Best looking uniforms, best looking grunts, best Char clone. OZ was the best organization in Gundam.
>>
I'm watching it again. Honestly is awful. Wu fei is literally the most unlikable character in all of gundam. The rest of the boys are certifiably retarded. Everything in this show is so over the top and outlandish I am personally offended.

The only good thing is tallgeese
>>
File: WTF am I reading.jpg (156 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
WTF am I reading.jpg
156 KB, 750x750
Gundam Wing wasn't popular. It was on at the same time the top-of-the-hype runs of DBZ were on.

Even when it had its best ratings, it still wasn't a popular show. Everybody was into DBZ, not Gundam. No Gundam AU/UC show ever rated as high as DBZ, and most didn't rate as high as some of the other secondary anime that came on during Toonami.

Wing is still shit, it was just the shit that came out at the same time DBZ got huge. That's right, Wing is Goku's backwash.
>>
I enjoy both G gundam and IBO
>>
>>14228389
Nah I made it through Zeta and ZZ but dropped Wing after 2 eps. I was hoping edge and autism would keep me entertained but it didn't.
>>
>>14229441
>The only good thing is tallgeese
and Heavyarms, Sandrock, Wing Zero, Mercurius, Vayeate, Leo, Aries, Taurus, Virgo, Tragos, Cancer, and Pisces.
>>
File: Woman.png (345 KB, 871x718) Image search: [Google]
Woman.png
345 KB, 871x718
>>14229441
>Wu fei is literally the most unlikable character in all of gundam.
Woman Detected.
>>
Didn't wing have one of the most "normal" earths? It didn't seem to be in tatters or anything warranting an exodus to space.
>>
>>14228398
But that's all Gumdam, anon.
>>
>>14229941
the colonies were under an oppressive rule (not allowed to travel between them unless you have money, influence, or rank) but yeah, it wasn't post apocalyptic like X or a slum world for lower class citizens like G.

It's actually somewhat closer to UC in that the majority of colonists are middle or lower class folks while most of the elites are on earth. That said, nothing like overpopulation or dying plant life was mentioned like UC has in side/backstory.
>>
>Bro tier
Quatre
Duo

>Autist tier
Trowa
Wufei

>Shit
Heero
>>
File: blur.png (428 KB, 472x652) Image search: [Google]
blur.png
428 KB, 472x652
As long as we're having a Wing thread, anyone got a better version of pic related?
>>
>>14228389

it's bad ... but it's not the worst
>>
>>14230109
Treize could have done better than Une 2bh
>>
wtf are the bad guys dressed like Zeons and Titans
>>
>>14228398
Boredom alone cannot put you to sleep, that's an old wives tale. Maybe you're diabetic.
>>
>>14229441
Are you a women by chance?
>>
>>14228389
Not the worst, but not the best. It was alright
>>
>>14228389
Nah, it's legit bad. Like for a lot of reasons. You never fully get to know the characters (no back story, no motivation), the fights are boring a full of stock footage, Wing Gundam gets less than 5 fights, too much focus on factions and politics, large gaps in logic in both the protagonists and villains. It's objectively a bad anime. I'm not sure if the expanded material (light novels and manga) help with some of these issues, but purely based on the original show it's shit.

But I kinda liked watching it in a "so bad it's good" kinda way.
>>
>>14229287
>muh argumentum ad populum
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.