[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the worst thing that has happened to mecha genre and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: HarmonyGoldLogo.jpg (5 KB, 200x72) Image search: [Google]
HarmonyGoldLogo.jpg
5 KB, 200x72
What is the worst thing that has happened to mecha genre and why is it Harmony Gold?
>raped SDF series
>raped mospeada
>raped harlock
>raped gatchaman
>raped megazone 23
>>
>>14220480
The only thing of any remote value lost among what you listed is Harlock, and even that's highly debatable.
>>
>>14220586
Wow fuck you too tasteless faggot.

Anyway we got proper official releases of most of those things.
>>
File: literal_white_knight.gif (2 MB, 460x252) Image search: [Google]
literal_white_knight.gif
2 MB, 460x252
>>14220480
>Harmony Gold
That's now how you spell Escaflowne
>>
>>14220480
You can just ignore the "raped" versions, you know.

The real issue is that they're still blocking overseas releases of anything Macross-related.
>>
If it weren't for robotech, I wouldn't have become a /m/an and actually watched Macross or Mospeada.
>>
>>14220599
>says the tasteless faggot
You make me laugh so hard, anon
>>
>>14220586
Damn dude. can't you go suck dicks elsewhere ?
>>
>>14220633
You've already taken them all, so no.
>>
Mazinger Z. Piloted robots gave betacucks accessible power fantasy wank material.
>>
>>14220670
Hi tumblr. Also, you say that as if Tetsujin and Giant Robo don't do the same
>>
>>14220691
they couldn't buy their toy at the local Diamond distributor like all their pleb friends and they don't know how to import shit
>>
I'll never understand why people are so buttblasted at Harmony Gold dubs. Yeah the company is fucking scummy with their Macross licensing shenanigans.

But as far as the dubs themselves go, well they're fucking 80s dubs. They're fucking relics of a different time, getting mad over the fact that they even existed is fucking stupid.

And hell compared to other TV dubs at the time they aren't that bad. But of course by todays standards they don't even begin to measure up.

Basically what I'm saying is: It was over 3 decades ago, you can watch all the original shows in Japanese with ease so LET IT FUCKING GO.

Also Gatchaman was Sandy Frank dumbass.
>>
>>14220670
>gave betacucks accessible power fantasy wank material
Go back to the fucking gym, chad.

But just remember, even if you're a world champ lifter and I'm 100 lbs wet, the fields would be even in a mecha fight. And I'd thrash you.
>>
>>14220670
That's the entire mecha genre. Yes, including Gundam, Votoms, Eva, and whatever the hell else you're gonna say.
>>
>>14220742

What gets me is this

If you where old enough to be a kid back then, you know what it was like in terms of cartoons so you probably have some fondness for Robotech not being the typical "Knowing is half the battle" no one ever gets shot patronizing affair and even if you're not American understand why changes have to be made because you're a fucking adult.

If you're not old enough then you're also not old enough to have any fondness for macross either so you're just some twat kid trying to sound cool by talking about how you watch OLD anime and have no one to blame by yourself when you could just go and download the subbed versions in the time it took me to write this.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8iThAVYoQ4
>>
Imagine if HG died in the 90's and the lawsuit-happy, rights stealing HG never came about never happened. Robotech would've probably been thought of an a pretty impressive dub for the era, even with the weird cobbling of different series. People would wonder just how they where able to get away with so much in the 80s.
>>
File: max-jenius-advice.jpg (94 KB, 460x502) Image search: [Google]
max-jenius-advice.jpg
94 KB, 460x502
>>14220819
I'll always appreciate Cam Clarke as Max.
>>
>>14220480
>raped Gatchaman

Didn't a couple of companies have turns fucking those guys?
>>
>>14220782
For me, it's not so much what HG did to Macross that pisses me off; I understand the necessity, RT was a huge thing for me as a kid.

But their business practices in general after the fact are so fucking abhorrent that it's poisoned RT for me forever.
>>
>>14220480
Oh please your precious Macross did get an actual release outside of Japan and the only thing preventing any future entries are the absurd music rights not Harmony Gold. Stop blaming the guys who made it possible for you to enjoy anime in the first place for all the wrong things like an uninformed newfag. Or better yet just fucking kill yourself mmmkay? Thanks!
>>
>>14220956
>But their business practices in general after the fact are so fucking abhorrent that it's poisoned RT for me forever.

see that's a legitimate complaint but all you ever really hear is WAH MUH CROSS

>>14222136

seriously, people have no idea where the us anime boom would have been without Robotech. Nowhere.
>>
File: Fucking Stupid2.jpg (20 KB, 379x350) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Stupid2.jpg
20 KB, 379x350
>>14222271
>>14222136
>>14220742
>Start telling everyone how much Robotech influenced the anime boom in the 80s for the US, allowing interest to build and companies to start importing and dubbing anime.

>Get pissed off at people wanting anime brought over and tell them to pirate it, which does nothing for the anime market and just shows how very little profit the Japanese make by selling their animation overseas and why it takes forever, if at all, for properties to get a launch in other countries.

>Also "Fuck the artists who make my favorite shows. They don't need my cash, and only deserve to work for free on my behalf." apparently.

Yup, you folks sure are some hardcore veterans for anime.
>>
>>14222451
>Get pissed off at people wanting anime brought over and tell them to pirate it,

This Macross was never brought over to the west meme needs to die now along with every FUCKING NEWFAG DUMBASS MOTHER FUCKING BITCH MR.PIB DRINKING RETARD WHO KEEPS POSTING IT ON A DAILY BASIS!

http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Super-Dimension-Fortress-Vol/dp/B000C1VAWO

LOOK FUCKHEAD IT DID GET BROUGHT OVER STOP BEING SUCH A WHINY SHITHEAD AND LEARN TO DO SOME BASIC RESEARCH AND KIIIIIIIIIIL YOURSELF ALREADY JESUS CHRIST!
>>
File: AA8XrGH.png (620 KB, 732x702) Image search: [Google]
AA8XrGH.png
620 KB, 732x702
>>14222136
Not quite you dumb faggot.
>>
>>14222488
That's the original Macross, I'm talking about Delta you meme loving fuck.
>>
HERE
>>14222503
>>14222503
>>14222503
>>14222503
I don't give a FUCK about what bullshit lies your screencap says. I posted REAL proof that the Harmony Gold meme cockblocking Macross meme is a load of SHIT and you all need to just fucking STOP right the fuck NOW! I've had it up to about with this nonsense and I'm not taking it anymore.
>>
>>14222514
And I posted proof Macross Delta can't have a simulcast because of Harmony Gold.
>>
>>14222524
No you didn't shithead you posted some stupid ass article taking a quote out of context and then applying a ton of lies to slander the company that even made it possible for you to enjoy your ooooooooohhhhh soooooooo favorite franchise in the first place. Listen to me kiddo, you can either shut the fuck up about this and apologize or just FUCKING DIE ALREADY!
>>
WE ALL LAUGHING
>>
>>14222536
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/
I'm sorry you're a retarded Harmony Gold apologist.
>>
i thought it was considered common practice to ignore invalids, not egg them on
>>
Didn't we also get a Macross II and Macross Plus outside of HG influence? Though IIRC Macross Plus rubs them the wrong way something fierce.
>>
>>14220480
The only one bid at getting an SRW that wasn't Original Generation outside of Japan was blocked by them.
>>
>>14222647
We did and then they proceeded to trademark the name Macross so no one else could bring over another Macross unless they wanted to pay HG a fee. They even attempted to trademark the name Macross in japan. Scum.
>>
>>14222659
Which one was that?
>>
>>14222686
>They even attempted to trademark the name Macross in japan
Holy shit what? I'm just curious but source?
>>
SO, this is just another thread the the robotech faggot that made those "robotech bds" created to keep spreading his lie about how it spread anime to the west? Even after being show factaully wrong by multiple people in the last thread?

This is some sad shit
>>
>>14222744
>we_at_robotechx.jpg
>>
>>14222751
To this day I still don't know if this is mocking them at robotech or us?
>>
>>14222734
The Japanese law site in completely in Kanji, so you'll have to run it through a translator, which can be sketchy at times.
http://shohyo.shinketsu.jp/decision/tm/view/ViewDecision.do?number=1088731

http://shohyo.shinketsu.jp/decision/tm/view/ViewDecision.do?number=1088733

And yes, Harmony Gold files for this trademark twice and was dismissed both times.
>>
File: 1400087295845.jpg (991 KB, 2861x2400) Image search: [Google]
1400087295845.jpg
991 KB, 2861x2400
>>14222734
http://shohyo.shinketsu.jp/decision/tm/view/ViewDecision.do?number=1088731
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36541
>>
>>14222786
>>14222782
Jesus
>>
>>14222476
In shit spitshined broadcast tape quality, and becoming incrediblly overpriced due to scalping and demand vs fairly low supply?
Yes it sure did come over.
And both domestic releases were horrible and not nearly as many copies were made in comparison to each release of Robotech, which you can't probably get in full at any place that sells used DVDs even without trying to find it.

Harmony Gold would rather us not have it, so they can perpetuate this illusion that they created the American anime industry with "Carl Macek's generation-spanning adventure that remains a landmark in the history of television animation" (actual quote from a Robotech DVD)
>>
>>14222853
I meant to say "can get in full", not "can't", sorry. You definitely can find Robotech basically anywhere as a complete set or at least nearly complete in those piecemeal amarays, and it's like some weird landfill scenario
>>
>>14222869
People are selling the latest Robotech DVD set (which is this ridiculously oversized two box set in a lazy slipcase) for as low as $28 just to get rid of their unused backstock. Meanwhile, Harmony Gold wants the full $49 (not counting their overpriced shipping) at their online store.
>>
>>14220670
Toeizinger Kouji isn't beta at all.
>>
>>14222879
Gross.
And i know that they crammed way too many episodes on those disks so the bit rate is probably awful.
The single case collection i have of the macross portion of the show (i got it for 13 bucks) has EIGHT episodes per disk, and i hear they put nine on each disc in the most recent collection.
>>
>>14222136
>Oh please your precious Macross did get an actual release outside of Japan and the only thing preventing any future entries are the absurd music rights not Harmony Gold. Stop blaming the guys who made it possible for you to enjoy anime in the first place for all the wrong things like an uninformed newfag. Or better yet just fucking kill yourself mmmkay? Thanks!

Oh look we have a dumbass Harmony Shit PR man. Is that you Kevin Mckeever ? Sounds like it.
Harmony Gold's abusively trademarked the name Macross (along with the "Un Spacey" and the "kite" emblem) all over the world except Japan and some few other asian countries. That is what makes it impossible for the Japanese to release Macross series in the West without paying the Harmony Shit mafia. But you knew this didn't you ? So fuck off.
>>
>>14222896
Most of the time in threads like this there's nothing but disinfo. It's refreshing to see a post with accurate information.

The music rights myth is the biggest load of bullshit. The problem truly is the trademarks.

Also I suspect you're right about ex-HG staff from the shut down robotech forums posting/attempting to troll here, which is just fucking sad. I don't believe anybody would care enough to screencap their posts and re-post them here so they're probably doing it themselves.
>>
So how bullshit is this?
http://deadline.com/2016/05/crackle-robotech-anime-series-feature-robotech-the-shadow-chronicles-1201753418/
and http://www.fandompost.com/2016/05/11/crackle-acquires-robotech-anime-franchise/
just popped up on the internet
>>
File: 1457678362125.jpg (203 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457678362125.jpg
203 KB, 1200x1200
>>14222996
Firstly how did you even find these.

This is an extremely interesting development. Sony buys the rights for a live action movie adaption, then the robotech.com website gets gutted and the forums removed.

Now another party has a distribution license for robotech? Do HG have anything at all now? There's going to be so much speculation trying to figure out what this means.
>>
File: 1233730704856.jpg (29 KB, 338x344) Image search: [Google]
1233730704856.jpg
29 KB, 338x344
>>14223024
ah turns out crackle is owned by sony. Whether it's just a distribution license or they now own robotech is what I'd really like to find out.
>>
>>14222996
adding on to this
http://robotech.com/front-splash-page/
>>
File: 1240010523598.png (120 KB, 317x317) Image search: [Google]
1240010523598.png
120 KB, 317x317
>>14223042
>ROBOTECH FRANCHISE TO ANCHOR NETWORKS ANIME CHANNEL BEGINNING MAY 15TH

Haha wut? You can't make an unpopular, dumbed-down, narrated for 6 year olds anime like robotech the -anchor- of an anime channel in 2016 that's ridiculous.
>>
so wait.. Harmony gold is suddenly out of the picture?
>>
>>14223072
The amateurish write-up on robotech.com that desperately tries to make HG sound relevant strongly suggests it's written by an HG employee so they're probably still in the game.

Nobody employed by a professional company like sony could have written that garbage.
>>
>>14222718
Alpha 1 on Dreamcast, with 3d models and combo attacks and such.
I sort of wonder what SRW would be like now if it wasn't blocked, if it would have had sprites just for the portable games or anything like that.
>>
>>14222476
>>14222476
>>14222488
>>14222514
>>14222536
Grow up, autist.
>>
>>14220615
>The real issue is that they're still blocking overseas releases of anything Macross-related.

http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Super-Dimension-Fortress-Vol/dp/B000C1VAWO
Tell me more, anon
>>
>>14223215
Oh boy, the shitty Robotech masters with an even shittier dub.

Call me when you can produce one with a decent master.
>>
>>14223215
OK, I did not read the whole thread first, but yeah, HG does not "block" Macross, they just want some $$$ for the release. The biggest obstacle is really the music rights.
>>
File: MC-DVD_Box_Photo.jpg (534 KB, 1028x612) Image search: [Google]
MC-DVD_Box_Photo.jpg
534 KB, 1028x612
>>14223222
>shitty Robotech masters
You mean the Animeigo masters? From the first time Macross was released unaltered on DVD?
I know HG doesn't block Macross because I've been able to buy it twice.
>>
>>14223229
There was also the "Robotech Perfect Collection" Which paired two episodes of Robotech with the corresponding subbed episodes of Macross. The fiction that HG is holding Macross back began over toy releases around 15 years ago.

If Studio Nue wanted to release Delta, they would need to give HG $$ and the music royalties would be $$$$$. Studio Nue just doesn't know how to plan for an international release.
>>
And once again, retarded children like you shit all over Robotech and make up their own headcanon alternate histories to play down how significant it was in bringing anime to the west.

Do you ingrates even have the slightest idea what it was like being an anime fan in the 80's? Jesus christ.

Robotech was the proof-of-concept that you didn't need to edit it down to sell it to an America audience. America's the world's third-largest country by population, the richest, and the biggest media market. France ain't shit by comparison. France is barely even half the size of Japan, while the US is twice as big as Japan and people there actually buy things. That's why popularizing the concept in the US matters. Because you can take something made in Japan, buy it for cheap, translate it, do nothing else, and then sell it and make money. Doing a hackdub takes voice actors and scriptwriters, even if they're relatively cheap ones, and that cuts into profits. Straight translations are relatively easy and you can churn them out for less money, so if people will buy straight translations then that's what will be sold.

Selling anything in France will buy you maybe a box of peanuts if it's a huge hit. The shit that gets released in France NOW is usually translated from Japanese to English and then the English sub script is translated to French to save time and money. America is the gateway to international distribution. If it's profitable to sell it in America then it becomes profitable to sell it worldwide. If you can't make in America, then I hope you like your native country because you're never getting released anywhere else.

Robotech is what proved that people will buy anime, as it is with minimal changes, and that paved the way for the "Japanimation" boom and the industry as it exists now. The era of everything getting released and publications existing entirely to cover anime only exists because Robotech proved that it was a viable business model to begin with.
>>
>>14223229
Nobody is disputing HG has the license distribute the original SDF macross and issue sublicenses to animeigo.

They are however squatting on the 'macross' trademark and demanding money from anyone who wants to use it. That's extortion and the japanese rightfully refuse to do business with them.
>>
HG are a bunch of scumbags and there is objectively no good reason to bringing Robotech back, but that doesn't change the fact that Robotech was the biggest player in bringing anime to the west.

Seriously, though, were you part of the anime fandom in the 80's? Because I was, and some of the stuff you lot are claiming here are plain ludicrous to anyone who knows anything about what it was like back then.
>>
>>14223229
Why do Robotech fags think the original Macross is the only one? It's because of HG holding the trademark for ransom is why Big West/Satelight can't bring over the sequels. Get it through your head.
>>
>>14223250
>They are however squatting on the 'macross' trademark and demanding money from anyone who wants to use it. That's extortion and the japanese rightfully refuse to do business with them.

Any licence fee paid to HG to release a Macross product in the West would be paid by the Western distributor. Studio Nue has never dealt with HG directly, but it never stopped Macross II, Plus, etc. from being released.

It also doesn't stop SN from making a show that is similar to Macross but called something else. Orguss had no problem getting released.
>>
So if it's music licensing fees why is music by literal whos more expensive than AKB or Nana Mizuki?
>>
>>14223256
>Why do Robotech fags think the original Macross is the only one?
Why do HG-haters think anyone who speaks the truth is a Robotech fan?
>>
>>14223263
>Studio Nue has never dealt with HG directly, but it never stopped Macross II, Plus, etc. from being released.
Except they have. Big West has tried to work with HG before but apparently HG was asking for unreasonable demands. And 2 and Plus coming to the west was BEFORE HG trademarked the Macross name. Hell, the main reason they trademarked it was because of 2 and Plus being released without them knowing.
>>
>>14223270
>And 2 and Plus coming to the west was BEFORE HG trademarked the Macross name. Hell, the main reason they trademarked it was because of 2 and Plus being released without them knowing.
But they are still available. Why doesn't HG block them??
>>
>>14223263
So wait are you saying HG doesn't block shit because the original macross came out?

What.

Its the reason we don't get macross merchandise over here either unless it comes from toynami. HG ask for too much, and you have to go to other people to. Its the reason why bluefin or others can't sell macross products, HG and the toys rights being tied up with toynami.
>>
>>14223271
Are you retarded?
>BEFORE HG trademarked
>>
File: 1457305245333.jpg (212 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457305245333.jpg
212 KB, 1920x1080
I can't believe there are people who actually defend HG and their scummy, greedy bullshit. You people are everything that is wrong with this world.
>>
File: 1243781540451.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1243781540451.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
Hg didn't block 2 or plus because they knew their license was only for SDF. Later when yamato toys USA tried to sell macross plus merchandise in the us hg got involved and this is what caused the two court cases in japan.

The court rulings didn't change anything, no rights changed hands and everything was the same as before the cases started. However the ruling meant that tatsunoko/hg only had merchandising/dist rights to the original SDF macross, opening the way for macross merch (toys, games etc) from japan.

HG then trademarked the word 'macross' in retaliation which is perfectly legal under first use trademark law and now here we are.
>>
>>14223284
>BEFORE HG trademarked
7 and Zero came out BEFORE HG trademarked and yet had no release.
Also, Studio Nue did not have the trademark to Macross in 2003, holy shit. Literally anyone could have done that.
>>
File: VTCL-60057.jpg (40 KB, 360x322) Image search: [Google]
VTCL-60057.jpg
40 KB, 360x322
>>14223291
>I can't believe there are people who actually defend HG and their scummy, greedy bullshit.
I don't like HG and I especially don't like Robotech. But the situation is a lot more complex than "HG raeps macross".

Here's a more recent example. Sony bought the rights from Marvel to make a Spider-Man movie. It turned out so successful that superhero movies became a genre. This prevented Marvel from making Spider-Man movies so they did other characters instead. And those movies were eventually so successful that Sony wanted to work with Marvel and now we can have good Spider-Man movies again.

What killed Macross, what killed all anime, was it's own success. Anime is a lot more profitable when selling to a Japanese audience who will pay through the nose for a video release then selling half a series at Best Buy for $19.99. Having to drive down the price AND split the profits amongst distributors and TV networks killed the profits, and the results were products with poor subs and dubs. It also has the effect of poisoning the well back home since Japanese fans can just buy Western releases for a fraction of the price.

HG either didn't know or didn't care about domestic Macross releases until 1999 or so and yet no one released Macross 7. I agree they have manipulated the situation to profit themselves, but that's just capitalism. If something like Frontier of Delta was popular enough, if there was real money on the table, someone would be putting up the cash to localize, but these days very few anime have that kind of cache. And when fansubs are free and fast, why would any business bother?

YES IT IS TRUE that HG sucks.
But it's just one speed bump at the bottom of a very steep hill. Getting angry about it doesn't make anime more profitable.
>>
>>14223335
>If something like Frontier of Delta was popular enough, if there was real money on the table, someone would be putting up the cash to localize, but these days very few anime have that kind of cache
It's cost-prohibitive only because of HG demanding a cut of something they weren't involved in any way in making or localizing. Nearly every other show made these days is licensed, and you have to be trolling or stupid to actually try to claim that there's more money in something like Super Lovers or Bungo Stray Dogs than there is in Macross.
>>
>>14223373
>It's cost-prohibitive only because of HG demanding a cut
>more money in something like Super Lovers or Bungo Stray Dogs than there is in Macross.

I'm not familiar with those shows, but this is part of what I'm saying. The profits for localizing modern anime are incredibly slim, in some cases less than $10,000. If giving HG a cut of the profits is enough to spoil the deal, it's because the business of selling anime in the West is so bad. Fans want it released on the same day and they expect it for free. The biggest problem is that anime is dead, HG is but a pimple on the ass of a corpse.
>>
>>14223373
Considering the cost of the license for the show, and then coupled with the cost of the music licenses. They probably are more profitable from a western investor perspective. Remember the OP, from zeta they couldn't even put it in the western release. Realistically, a dirt cheap show they can then stream on Netflix or hulu can be far more profitable, than a high value show that will only sell moderately well at best. The numbers just won't ad up in macross' favor. Remember how many years it took for gundam to be licensed again after Bandai entertainment closed shop. Anime is a rough businesses.
>>
I wonder what the HG shills are saying about the Robotech LAM now? I don't hate this company and its moronic fanboys so much as view them with bafflement. How deluded can people really be?
>>
>>14224069
There are people delusional enough to think Getter is anything but below average, so very.
>>
>>14223414
Anime is alive and well, but it's all in subscription-based services like CR. I don't even know if Funi does much dubbing anymore.
>>
>>14220480
Who cares man? Just dl the Japanese BD rips.

Ever since I started watching anime I haven't seen a single non JPN dub and I've completely ignored the cancerous American anime business. The Internet is a powerful tool.
>>
>>14224228
Kill yourself weeb
>>
>>14223180
Going to have to ask for your source on that.
Cause there's been two stories have heard floated regarding Alpha in the US. The other being that EVA's involvement in the game beefed up the price enough that they decided not to go ahead with it.

Frankly, either seems likely here.
>>
>>14224135
They do, they're just even shittier at it than before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPmxECMk82k
>>
>>14220742
noone gives a fuck about their dubs. them killing macross in the west forever is where the buttblasting comes from
>>
>>14224239
There is none because they're both bullshit fans made up to be pissy.
>>
>>14220604
>guy has a harem, /m/ loves and idolizes him
>girl has a harem, /m/ loses their shit like a bunch of pussy babies

I really wish I was surprised by 4chan.
>>
>>14220604
Not even the worst fantasy mecha series, but thank you for playing.

God, why do Dunbine's sequels all have to suck?
>>
>>14223226
>music rights
this meme needs to die
>>
>>14224283
>strawmanning this hard
I'm fine with women with harems, I like Fushigi Yuugi for instance. Escaflowne is just shit though.
>>
>>14224283
Fuck off feminazi
>>
>>14224295
motherfucker don't remind me of that clusterfuck
>oh hey magic china girl harem!

>lol just kidding everyone dies horribly enjoy
>>
File: how_is_this_not_shit.gif (932 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
how_is_this_not_shit.gif
932 KB, 500x250
>>14224288
Wait, worse than Escaflowne bad? Now you've piqued my morbid curiosity.
>>
>>14224228
>Ever since I started watching anime I haven't seen a single non JPN dub and I've completely ignored the cancerous American anime business.

2CHに戻ります
>>
File: tomino_impact.jpg (17 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tomino_impact.jpg
17 KB, 640x480
>>14224302
>people die
>this makes it bad
What are you even doing on /m/?
>>
>>14224289
>this meme needs to die
this meme needs to die
>>
>>14224289
>>music rights
>this meme needs to die

Do you believe in a sign of Zeta?
>>
>>14224315
it's a shitty bait and switch where you expect magical china neverending story with a harem for girls and instead you get horrible melodrama and two episode death scenes and WAHHHHH I WAS RAPED NOW I WILL KILL EVERYONE FOREVER (only it turns out she wasn't)

don't even get me started on the manga sequel
>>
>>14224326
And then there's the time they kill off a guy but he was too popular so they introduce his twin fucking brother out of nowhere
>>
File: chrono_triggered.jpg (49 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
chrono_triggered.jpg
49 KB, 600x600
>>14224326
>>14224329
>yfw watching superior anime to escaflowne
>>
>>14224313
I'm guessing you think that means something other than it actually means
>>
>>14224343
well yeah it still is better than escaflowne

escaflowne was just bad
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-YrKDdUdYg
>>
>>14224303
Are Escaflowne haters actually retarded or is it all a ruse? Is it the next target of the people who are bent on destroying discussion of various /m/ shows after they failed with Gunbuster?
>>
>>14224361
Are Escaflowne lovers actually retarded or is it all a ruse? Are they really so retarded that they defend a show where they forgot to handle blonde boy's missing sister so decided to make it so that the rival villain DUDE was her brainwashed all along at the last minute?
>>
>>14224361
>failed
>implying
Gunbuster threads are dead fag, they succeeded, which is good
>>
File: watamote_jisatsu.png (158 KB, 627x352) Image search: [Google]
watamote_jisatsu.png
158 KB, 627x352
>>14224353
>mfw we agree
>>
File: noriko_swingin.gif (2 MB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
noriko_swingin.gif
2 MB, 500x360
>>14224361
But I like Gunbuster.
>>
>>14224365
I guess you forgot all the foreshadowing for it, but that's to be expected of retards who can't handle a non-sci-fi mecha series.

>>14224366
Just because something isn't discussed 24/7 doesn't mean it was forgotten, retard.
>>
>>14224422
>forgot all the foreshadowing for it
Like?
>>
File: coach lensflare.gif (916 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
coach lensflare.gif
916 KB, 400x301
>>14224415
my boi.
>>
>>14224422
It's still somewhat dead, which is good, since garbage like that deserves worse
>>
File: noriko_blush.gif (879 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
noriko_blush.gif
879 KB, 500x371
>>14224435
>hates escaflowne
>likes gunbuster
Did we just become each others niggers?
>>
>>14224448
I also hate Escaflowne and like Gunbuster

But you are both cocksuckers anyway and not my niggers
>>
File: noriko_rekt.gif (167 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
noriko_rekt.gif
167 KB, 500x376
>>14224461
o-okay
>>
File: noriko_passionate.gif (2 MB, 540x406) Image search: [Google]
noriko_passionate.gif
2 MB, 540x406
>>14224448
i mean, probably.

>>14224461
*TRIGGERED*
>>
>>14224434
Like the reconditioning sequences and similarities between the two characters' ages and appearances. I'm not saying it was a great part of the show but it wasn't out of nowhere.
>>
File: 1292393093735.jpg (175 KB, 558x1125) Image search: [Google]
1292393093735.jpg
175 KB, 558x1125
>>14224481
>similarities between the two characters' ages and appearances
Sounds like a convenient excuse for Hirai face to me.
>>
>>14224415
I like Gunbuster but I like Escaflowne, too. I don't see what there is to hate about high-budget mecha action and glorious OSTs.
>>
>>14224483
Thank goodness it has nothing to do with Hirai then.
>>
File: seriously_the_rest_is_shit.gif (2 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
seriously_the_rest_is_shit.gif
2 MB, 540x360
>>14224494
Eh, I think all the characters in Escaflowne suffer from same face. And there's only 1 thing Escaflowne has going for it anyway, and it ain't the Escaflowne.
>>
>>14224484
The fact that Escaflowne is combined with Shoujo elements makes them feel insecure so they need to hate it to feel reassured
>>
>>14224422
>but that's to be expected of retards who can't handle a non-sci-fi mecha series
What's that supposed to mean
>>
>>14223335
Aye been saying this for a while now.

IF Macross really would be a huge potential hit somone would buy the distribution rights for the West and destroy Harmony in court.

But nobody really wants to buy the rights to Macross because it just isn't worth it. Real fans in the West can just import it and everyone else will just pirate it.
>>
I remember when Macross fans were pissed because "now they have to import toys" when I had already been doing that for ages because the markup in US anime shops was ridiculous. HG did you all a favor.
>>
>>14224546
But that's wrong, see >>14224295
>>
>>14223024
>>14223027

I'm cruious what role Tatsunoko plays in all of this. After all, they are the original owners of the distribution rights to Macross which they sold to Harmony Gold. And even, though they have signed agreements that allow HG to use their shows, Sothern Cross and Mospeada, they still have to pay royalties to Tatsu since they still directly own the material. So by buying the rights to Robotech from Harmony Gold, did Sony also actively have an agreement with Tatsunoko so they can fully utilize their stuff?
>>
>>14224681
Then give some actual arguments instead of "it's shit xD"
>>
>>14224720
Bad plot, bad characters, mediocre at best animation, highly forgettable OST.
>>
>>14224709
Crackle has distribution via this company:
http://www.contentmediacorp.com/tv_digital/catalogue/tv_kids_teens/animation/robotech.html#

So I don't believe there is any new deal between Tatsu and Sony
>>
>>14224730
Not only are those not arguments but two are objectively wrong.
>>
>>14222782
So, why do some people say these faggots are not bad? This is outright theft they are attempting
>>
>>14220691
I don't. Some local shop in my place usually imports Macross stuff so I don't give a shit about Robotech.
>>
>>14224767
No, they aren't. Stop being delusional and grow up.
>>
>>14224747
I was talking about more in terms of the long run, especially with this movie they're trying to get off the ground. One of the most glaring aspects of this is that with HG's shaky distribution rights, they don't have permission to use Macross material, but they purchased rights for Tatsunoko which allow them to use their shows and also give them pieces of the cuts (they do produce new Robotech stuff like the cancelled Sentinels and Academy, as well as Shadow Chronicles) so it leads me to believe that Tatsu is essential and being able to use Sothern Cross and Mospeada stuff. Or maybe HG has just kicked Tatsu to the curb and is actually allow Sony to make the movie completely from scratch (which isn't a bad idea either considering they need to start fresh in order to avoid the copyright quicksand)
>>
>>14224770
>So, why do some people say these faggots are not bad?
They are bad, they're just not the only reason why we don't get Macross shows
>>
>>14224784
And what other reason is there? Or did you forge tthat Symphogear, a show about music, where no one can throw a single goddamn punch without singing loudly got simulcast, something that will never ever happen to Macross thanks to the giga jews at HG?
>>
>>14224780
According to that link, they also distribute Macross, SC and Mospeda separately, and can provide Japanese scripts. It's probably less risk for Sony to go through a third party considering the history.
>>
>>14224720
Generic plot, sub par characters, uninspired mecha designs with the exception of >>14224513, terrible plot devices, cancerous fan base, etc. Literally everything about it was done better in Fushigi Yuugi.
>>
File: saban chan.jpg (27 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
saban chan.jpg
27 KB, 460x276
>>14220480
>>
>>14224790
I have never heard of that show and I don't know what it has to do with anything. I guess you think it doesn't have anything to do with music rights? You picked a dumb way to express it.
>>
>>14224828
Now I know you're just a shitty HG troll, I honestly don't even know why I thought you were trying to be serious, why don't you go back to robotech.cx? Your place is there not here
>>
>>14224790
>Symphogear
>Simulcast
It doesn't. That's why people had to wait for Commie to get subs.

Symphogearfags are really dumb and obnoxious, get out of /m/.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (29 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
29 KB, 396x400
>>14224838
http://www.crunchyroll.com/symphogear

Why do you lie, knowing we can show how much of a HG faggot you are in seconds?
>>
>>14224833
Because we HG trolls feed off butthurt and there is little reason to be mad when you are a robotech fan. We're getting a movie! So I have to be near bitter Macross fans, and this is like the motherlode.
>>
>>14224828
Symphogear is a show by Satelite, the same studio Kawamori owns that produces Frontier and Delta. If fucking Symphogear got a western release why the hell would Macross, their biggest and most well known franchise not? It's because of HG sitting on that trademark and not allowing any future Macross releases into the west without paying them a trademark fee. How do you even defend this shit company? How do you defend them attempting not once but twice trying to trademark "Macross" in japan?
>>14224808
As money grubbing as Saban is at least we've gotten some Sentai stuff released stateside.
>>
We have an interview in English posted in this very thread with Kawamori saying that he can't have it simulcasted because of legal trouble. Like >>14224868 said Symphogear is brought over to the west and that's a music heavy series. Why do people keep posting this "music license" meme?
>>
>>14224852
Remind me how that movies coming along? Oh right limbo land.
>>
>>14224790
Simple anon. Buying the rights for Macross costs money. Since Macross is a big IP in Japan it would likely cost a a decent amount. Now you have to recoup that investment in an age were people can either

1 pirate
or
2 import

It just isn't worth the investment going after Macross.

I don't even understand, why do people even want somebody picking up the rights? You can go to amazon.jp and buy the blurays. Frontier even has English subs iirc.
>>
>>14224924
Japanese BD prices are insane.
>>
>>14224924
It's not even having the blurays released here, we can't even have it simulcasted because of HG mucking things up. Kawamori himself said he wanted to stream it for his fans globally but can't because of the legal bullshit going on.
>>
>>14224868
>It's because of HG sitting on that trademark and not allowing any future Macross releases into the west without paying them a trademark fee

Why not just pay the fee then? If HG is really the only reason, then Big West is even more inept than I thought they were.

Also HG sucks, no one is defending them, if you were right you wouldn't need strawman arguments. They suck they did shitty things, you don't have to be angry about it. That's all on you.
>>
>>14224927
>Japanese BD prices are insane.
US prices are too low for them to make a profit
>>
>>14224924
So, you're saying that because HG will only let go of the brand if they pay a enormous amount of money because they are jews? SO we aren't getting because HG has nothing but faggots on its side?
>>
>>14224944
Do you fucking realise what you're saying? They should shell out money to peddle something that they create because american copyright system is a complete joke?
>>
>>14224944
>actually defending HG's scummy business practice
Why the hell should Big West pay another company to use a name THEY created? You can't even say HG came up with the name first. Those scumbags knew exactly what they were doing. That's why they tried to trademark it in japan, they're trying to practically steal the franchise away from Big West.
>>
>>14224944
>Why not just pay the fee then? If HG is really the only reason, then Big West is even more inept than I thought they were.

Why would you even want to do business with a company that has never bothered to contact you to work out any type of agreements and try to file a trademark on your product in your own country just to try and sleeze it away from you?

HG is a completely unprofessional and completely erratic organization.
>>
>>14224958
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Agrama
Just look how scummy the owner is. Fucking tax evasion and money laundering.
>>
File: 1458353946779.jpg (38 KB, 450x495) Image search: [Google]
1458353946779.jpg
38 KB, 450x495
>>14224964
> In the 1970s and early 1980s, Agrama made a number of low-budget films which included The Godfather's Friend, Queen Kong and Dawn of the Mummy.
>>
>>14223246
I love this copypasta. It is almost as good as that list of Why Robotech is better from Topless Robot.
>>
>>14225023
>I love this copypasta
And that is why you samfegged? Because no one fell for you stupid pasta?
>>
>>14224852
When is that movie coming out? Is it right after Robotech RPG Tactics Wave 2 hits or right before the Keanu Reaves Cowboy Bebop movie comes out?
>>
>>14225037
Right after Half-life 3
>>
>>14225049
So right before the Leonardo DiCaprio AKIRA movie, sweet.
>>
>>14225037
>>14225049
Nah, it'll be after John Malkovich's 100 year movie.
>>
>>14224955
>They should shell out money to peddle something that they create because american copyright system is a complete joke?

If they want to sell some shit in America? Yeah.

>>14224957
>Why the hell should Big West pay another company to use a name THEY created?

Because HG paid for it, and because Big West never bothered to copyright their fucking bread and butter series. That's a mistake they have to pay for now.

>>14224958
>HG is a completely unprofessional and completely erratic organization.
Oh no, a scumbag? In showbusiness!?
Studio Nue blew their budget on Macross. That was a dumb mistake.
Then they contracted Tatsunoko to finish the series and didn't pay them. That's fraud! If they played by the rules the series would have never been finished.

Have you guys ever read a marvel comic? You know they ripped off the creators, too, right? It's business, and if it was profitable the HG trademark wouldn't be a problem. If they had their shit together, HG wouldn't have been able to file the trademark in the first place. THIS IS NOT A DEFENSE OF HG, I know I have to spell it out for you. This is Big West's bad business practices come back to bite them in the ass.
>>
>>14225061
Its amazing actually, the way you change tracks to deflect any blame from HG, do they actually pay you to be this much of a faggot? Or are you just trolling?
>>
File: Why not both.gif (976 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
Why not both.gif
976 KB, 350x263
>>14225064
>>
File: 54503966_p1_master1200.jpg (342 KB, 594x597) Image search: [Google]
54503966_p1_master1200.jpg
342 KB, 594x597
>>14225061
>advocating bad business practices
>saying HG is in the right and BW is in the wrong
>"I'm totally not defending HG you guys!"
>>
>>14225064
Harmony Gold can't melt steal beams
>>
>>14225079
But they do make you retarded enough to promote theft of a IP
>>
Can anyone answer why BW never trademarked Macross? Can anyone explain SN's fraud committed against Tatsunoko?
>>
>>14225099
They did trademark it in japan but didn't bother in the west.
>>
>>14225099
They trademarked in their own country but didn't in others because they had yet to release outside of japan, they are didn't believe a fucking distributing company would try to fucking steal their own goddamn prperty or are you really going to say that its their fault that some third party tried to claim their IP?
>>
>>14225147
A third party company that tried to claim that IP in it's country of origin. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. You can't even say Harmony Gold did that with good intentions.
>>
Big west can be blamed for being naive or neglient with their IP in their early days, and they've had to pay dearly for it retrospect.

HG are disgusting vultures at best
>>
>>14225155
>You can't even say Harmony Gold did that with good intentions.
There is not a single reason to ever think they have had any kind of good intentions, they have been miling their fans for 30 goddamn years, they have been holding on to something they did not create in any way for 30 goddamn years, they are scum of the earth.

>>14225166
Fucking please HG drone, are you literally putting the blame on them for a burgerlander company stealing their IP? How much of a fucking drone can you possibly be?
>>
>>14225173
Work on your reading comprehension a bit...
>>
>>14224329
every series of gundam

three times in 00

i find the robots cool enough to make up for its flaws

still not a great show but definitely not bad
>>
>>14225177
Do you know what a backhanded compliment is? Do you think you're fooling anyone by just adding a hasty
>Yeah HG sure is bad but those other guys are the ones who actually did the wrong things
You really are brain damaged aren't you?
>>
>>14225166
I honestly don't know why I expected Robotech fans to be anything but morally corrup people
>>
>>14225179
>three times in 00
What? Lockon had his brother show in the first few episodes of the first season I can only think of the movie Nena
>>
>>14225187
Take a fucking chill pill, okay? You're dead set on making yourself out to be braindamaged one, here.

This is my third post in this thread. Whatever the case is, it's an undeniable fact that Big West was neglectful in protecting their IP. You can't escape this. If they hadn't been, we wouldn't have this mess.

By the same token though, the most generous depiction of HG that is possible to make, is that they're disgusting vultures. A less positive and much more realistic and fair one is that they're thieves.

Learn.to.read.
>>
File: pc_triggered.gif (480 KB, 250x309) Image search: [Google]
pc_triggered.gif
480 KB, 250x309
>>14225207
>victim blaming 101
WEEOOWEEOO
>>
It's be hilarious if robotech.com employees are in this thread.

HEY TOMMY YUNE, REMEMBER THAT PROJECT WHERE YOU HAD FORUM MEMBERS FIX THE DVD SCRIPTS FOR YOU? YOU NEVER DID SEND ME MY VF-1 AND DVDS YOU ASSHOLE.
>>
>>14224927
OK so basically you want Japanese blurays for American prices? I can understand that.

But anyone who did that would be out of business pretty quickly (just like the anime boom of the 2000s). And ofcourse the home base back in Nihon will be worried about reverse importing.
>>
>>14225367
RightStuf is doing that with gundam though.
Granted they're a bit basic compared to the Japanese releases, the price is right.
>>
File: Frontier.png (575 KB, 1877x635) Image search: [Google]
Frontier.png
575 KB, 1877x635
>>14225367
>But anyone who did that would be out of business pretty quickly (just like the anime boom of the 2000s).

Are the prices in Japan for individual blu ray volumes really that steep? I mean, shit, its costs up to $85 for just one of these fucking things, and varying degrees of $35-$60 used from third-party only sources. How many episodes are on each of these? Five? Six?

Are they even in active print anymore?
>>
>>14225418
>How many episodes are on each of these
It depends on series, but simple math can tell you. For example, if there are thirteen BDs for Frontier TV, what's the largest whole number you can choose to roughly equal out to twenty-five?
>>
>>14225173
What's even more pathetic is how RT fanboys nuthug the shit out of anything remotely Robotech. Remember the Kickstarter for RT Academy? That proves that the power of neckbeard is strong within that clusterfuck.
>>
>>14225247
I wouldn't be surprised if there were. I've had my suspicions from a couple years ago when we had some blatant HG/RT shills.
>>
>>14225779
The kickstarter train wreck was pretty sad but sometimes their 'success' is even worse.

A voltron crossover? Really? Who the fuck wanted that?
>>
>>14225797
>A voltron crossover? Really? Who the fuck wanted that?
The same neckbeards who can't get over an 80's paste job. Voltron and WEP is not as cringe-worthy as RT and HG, but they're still obnoxious asshats. No surprise there was an unholy alliance between 2 dead-in-the-water fanbases.

I don't get these people. When you get older, you start losing interest in shows that you grew up watching and even realize they were kinda crappy. I remember watching all sorts of shit as a kid in the late 90's, but I'm not gonna obsess over it like RT and Voltron neckbeards do. Even certain anime I watched back in HS have not aged well at all to me.
>>
>>14225813
>>Voltron
>>Dead-in-the-water

nigga wat? Voltron gets a new (mostly shitty, but let's be honest the original was pretty shitty too) series every few years, so I'd hardly call it a dead franchise like Robotech which has barely managed a movie in 30 years.
>>
>>14225835
Just because they've made a few TV series that are piss-poor in quality doesn't mean it's thriving. At best, it's on life-support with periodic transfusions to try and get a rise out of the vegetable.

Golion was nothing special, but it had a better storyline for Sincline and his obvious Oedipal complex. Or the fact that Honerva was actually Daibazaal's mother; that was something I long suspected in the Lion Voltron series, but didn't confirmation until I saw Golion.

For fuck's sake, they could've made a new TV series about the Vehicle Force instead, but no, it HAS to be the lions again and again.
>>
>>14225835
It's pretty much dead compared to when it was a household name, second only to transformers in popularity.
>>
>>14225857
Exactly. Even Transformers managed to get 4 live-action movies even though they got progressively worse. In fact, Transformers the Movie being released in theaters in 1986 is living proof that Voltron can't even compare as a sustainable franchise. Even the fucking Smurfs and The Chipmunks got LAM. G.I. Joe got it too.
>>
Macross isn't even good, though.
>>
>>14225880
The original SDF? As a show, you're kinda right. It's better for its concepts and innovations in animation. It really made an impact in 1980's and subsequent anime from later decades.

Still, it's asinine how a fucking real estate company and their mouth-breathing fandom convinced themselves that RT was totally 100% an original creation.
>>
>>14225871
Voltron has that new Netflix series starting in like a month, so hopefully they merchandise this one correctly. However, they've already got something that the SJWs are already vocally up in arms about: No girl pilots.
>>
But for real, CGI mecha is the worst thing to happen to the genre.
>>
>>14225899
There is a character that is a reverse trap though.
>>
>>14225887
Macek himself was a real piece of shit. Even after taking the japs work and adapting it for his own purposes he had a superiority complex towards the very people whos work he was using.

In one of the books that covers production of the sentinels he paints himself as the benevolent american helping those poor japanese animators with his good 'ol american storytelling know-how.
>>
File: 4504604-9255355385-Alpha.jpg (444 KB, 900x654) Image search: [Google]
4504604-9255355385-Alpha.jpg
444 KB, 900x654
>>14225797
>>14225813
Actually, nobody wanted it. Fans didn't like it either. Even Kevin Mckeever openly admitted at a con in 2013 when they were first pitching the thing that the reason the whole thing existed was to piggy-back off of Voltron's somewhat fluent fanbase while trying to give Voltron a yearly jumpstart (it also helps that Toynami produces toys for both Robotech and Voltron too). Plus, Tommy Yune was the one heading the production, so you could pretty much tell where it was going.

Hell, this news came as such a piss-poor update to the fanbase that one guy decided to call Mckeever out on why the whole thing was bullshit at the very NY Comicon he was pitching it in and people in the audience actually cheered him on. (skip to 23:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QT_4QEbT2A
>>
>>14225899

Sven's going to die/get critically injured and be replaced by the princess, who's going to have at LEAST three lines of "Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I don't know how to fight!" tripe.
>>
>>14225901
CGI mecha is fine if it's handled well. I still say Macross benefits very well from CGI since it allows for faster transformations and more unique fight choreography.
>>
>>14225913
Yeah I read The Art of Robotech books.

Didn't he mention in a DVD commentary that Studio Nue was "involved in the Robotech project" or something?
>>
>>14225913
Macek sounds like the average weeaboo. Seriously, muricans have this weird love/hate relationship with Japan, they love the cartoons and wish to live on a paradise for pedophiles where their autism isn't censored but instead rewarded and at the same time they have a profound contempt for Japan thanks to WW2 and making the country into a colony de facto
>>
>>14225939
Well to be fair, Japan IS a colony of the US. They depend on our military and our markets for their livelihood and make it possible for them to part of the First World.
>>
>>14225917
Dave Knighthawk is that you? Don't you have to spaz out on the RRT backer comments section with ten thousand "WE WANT WAVE 2 NAO" posts?
>>
>>14225913
>In one of the books that covers production of the sentinels he paints himself as the benevolent american helping those poor japanese animators with his good 'ol american storytelling know-how.

I've never read enough about Macek's personal interactions in other sources, but in Robotech Art 3, it sounded more like he was trying to convey to the increasingly confused Japanese production team that they weren't making a sequel to Macross even though they 'technically' were. It makes sense on the Japanese' part because they had returning staff who helped with Do You Remember Love and were pretty much being told "Yeah, see we want to continue on where Macross left off, but we're NOT calling it Macross, this takes place in ROBOTECH, which are two COMPLETELY different things!" Not necessarily defending Macek, but the entire production was pretty shady, and of course they had to be careful in the water they were treading.
>>
File: 45004887.jpg (110 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
45004887.jpg
110 KB, 500x360
>>14225948
>Missing the point for jerking off furiously to the American flag
>>
>>14225938
Not sure. He basically tried to take the american childrens cartoon television production model where you first team up with the toymakers to secure capital and apply it to the japanese animation industry which basically ran on hopes and dreams at the time. Fortunately the yen changed, matchbox got cold feet and pulled out and macek was fucked.

Why he thought merchandise based production was better than the japanese way of just trying to tell cool stories is a complete mystery.

>>14225952
I don't like the way he repeatedly portrayed the japs as mistreated, unfortunate people who needed his help. It was the exact opposite of reality.
>>
>>14225960
I'm just stating an obvious fact. The US rebuilt Japan, gave away tons of patents and tech so that they could jump-start their war-shattered economy, we've had an unfavorable trade balance with them for decades which is why they became rich, and we've been their defense against the Soviets, the PRC, and North Korea since 1945.

>>14225962
The US contracted Japanese sweatshop labor for 80's cartoons so it's not far-fetched for him to think that way. A lot of Americans had this mentality back then.
>>
>>14225973
This isn't really the place to get into it but the US hugely benefited from their bases in japan and still does. It's an essential part of their worldwide military network now and they couldn't project power in that region of the world without them.

I won't be commenting on this unrelated derail any further.
>>
>>14225950
Had to google who you were talking about and only realized after the fact that its the dude who made the video I posted.

Jesus, am I the only one who really follows these panels to at least get a feel what's going on in minds of the people working for Harmony Gold? I mean, seriously, there's a lot of gold in these things.
>>
>>14225994
You have far more patience that I do. I can't stand to listen to anything Kevin McKeever or any other HG toadey says.
>>
>>14226000
I have to admit, its really jarring listening to Mckeever and the Yunes drone on about how they believe the Robotech brand is "flourishing" and the community is getting bigger because of all the 'ingenious' product they're spewing out. Not to mention Kevin's very condescending attitude towards anyone who raises doubtful questions on current events, especially anyone who dares asks about blu-ray releases of Robotech or Macross to which he puts in the best shit-eating smile that he can muster and quips along the lines "Oh, you simpleton, let me sit you down and educate you on how film works..."

But often times they tend to give mild hints and shaky responses of what's really going on behind the scenes, especially in moments when they're having to run damage control. The interesting part is that they know they can't going around telling lies all the time and just try to smokescreen people's questions and concerns in vague nods and half-truths. Watching Tommy Yune trying to convince all the concerned fans that they're not using the VF-1's design for the movie and that all the transforming jets will be based off modern active-service aircraft is pretty interesting.
>>
>>14226019
There'll never be a movie. It'll end up in development hell.
>>
>>14226033
Not saying there will be, just saying that the staff at the company is having a really hard time trying to get it across to their fanbase that they don't have the rights to use the transforming jet fighters they're so fond of and instead just hide behind the "well see, the funny thing is we're just going to change all that around so that they look nothing like what you want and just do what Transformers did" excuse.

It is intriguing to wonder just what kind of movie they can make based on what they actually have permission to use, though.
>>
>>14226045
Mospeada is fair game they can use that. Hg have been trying to ween the fanbase off the macross saga and steer them towards the mospeada portion of robotech for a long time now but it's like pushing shit uphill since the macross saga is the only part anyone gives a shit about.

Not shit talking mospeada I quite like it myself but it's no SDF substitute.
>>
>>14226059
That's precisely what I mean. They can use Southern Cross, too; Nobody gives two shits about it or the Masters Saga it was converted to, but seeing as how they have very little content to work with I imagine they'll have to work that in somehow to fill in more gaps lest they just want to go for a complete live-action version of Mospeada through-and-through.

That, or they'll pull any non-Macross related stuff from the early conceptual stuff from Sentinels. Yet, I doubt Tommy Yun would want Sony touching any expanded material he didn't write, especially those that he feels don't exist to him.
>>
>>14226073
Are you suggesting hg employees have any say whatsoever in the live action movie? They don't If the movie happens it will be almost exactly like transformers.

Sony are in a bind. They badly wanted to ride that transformers money train but they can't do it without being seen as a rip-off.
>>
>>14226093
Sony has no fucking clue what to do. Look at the Ghostbusters remake. Those email leaks really shed light on how retarded and short-sighted those people are.
>>
>>14226093
I'm saying Tommy will likely inform them that any Sentinels work that wasn't done under his supervision is 'non-canon' and will ensure that they follow what his Prelude series rewrites from the original comics. He's been retconning anyone and anything because he has to make sure everything somehow ties into his brainchild, Shadow Chronicles, even right down to rewriting some of the Mckinney novels with "new continuity".
>>
>>14225962
>Why he thought merchandise based production was better than the japanese way of just trying to tell cool stories is a complete mystery.
Because this is how america works primarily, take the gundam model and apply it to everything at the literal extreme, YOung Justice, a cartoon that people aparently found pretty cool got cancelled because they main target wasn't watching it, instead women were watching it and the reasoning was that they would not buy the toys so they cancelled it mid-season
>>
File: 1453837337550.jpg (46 KB, 359x411) Image search: [Google]
1453837337550.jpg
46 KB, 359x411
>>14226093
Actually, they mentioned they want Robotech to be their "Marvel cinematic universe" of all things. I have no idea why, as Robotech doesn't exactly have multiple source materials to tie into on the scale that Marvel has, but whatever, gotta try and make for that money I guess.
>>
>>14226113
Got a link to those leaks?
>>
>>14226157
The funny thing is, Independence Day: Resurgence already beat them to the punch about Earth fighting against alien invaders with their own tech.
>>
File: laughter.jpg (173 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
laughter.jpg
173 KB, 1920x1440
>>14226157
>Actually, they mentioned they want Robotech to be their "Marvel cinematic universe" of all things
Oh wow, they think they are better or have more money than fucking Warner?
>>
>>14226140
>Tommy will likely inform them

Tommy is an amateur who gives talks to empty rooms, nobody at sony would return his calls, it's like you or me trying to call them he's that irrelevant to the LAM. The only people at HG who've ever spoken with sony would be agrama and the licensing guys.
>>
>>14226181
Well after having to resort on working out a deal with Marvel and scrapping all their previous plans of their own expanded Spider-Man universe after their own films failed (not to mention running some serious damage control on the reception with Ghostbusters), I imagine they're in desperate need of finding a franchise of their own that they can actively bank on without outside help. Apparently they believed Robotech would be their saving grace since nobody else had yet to adapt it yet.
>>
>>14226195
>they believed Robotech would be their saving grace
Millenals can't be that hard to come by, why don't they talk to them and realize no one knows about that shit.
>>
Slightly off topic but somewhat relevant, the founder/owner of Palladium Books, maker of the Robotech RPG, Kevin Siembieda, got ran over last Sunday.
>>
>>14226189
He's the current creative director of Harmony Gold on Robotech and heads the entire production team at the company, I'm sure has he some say in way of giving advice to the guys he and his team are supposed to be working with on the script.

Just saying, the guy has found ways to interfere with people's shit on anything in regards to Robotech, because his ego is really that enormous.

>>14226174
This has been floating through my mind ever since the new trailers have been pouring out. Its got to be one of the most hilarious unintentional slap across the face ever conceived.
>>
>>14226202
Likely the same reason they didn't do their research on just how much copyright webs Robotech is entangled in before they thought, even for a second, that adapting this thing was a good idea.
>>
>>14226219
I bet they think that they can convince their Japanese execs in the parent company to talk to Big West on their behalf. Good luck with that.
>>
>>14226224
Oh no, Kevin Mckeever made it clear at one of their convention panels that Sony has the rights to release the film worldwide EXCEPT in Japan. Sony knows where their boundaries are, but bless them, they're going through with it anyway.
>>
>>14226215
He's irrelevant. This is an 80's nostalgia cash-in. Listening to tommy would be like consulting the team responsible for robocop 3 and the tv series.
>>
>>14226224
Kawamori is aware of the Robotech film and he's mentioned they haven't contacted him once about it. They don't give a fuck.
>>
>>14222536
>Original Macross only

Well where the fuck is 7 and Frontier? Why isn't Delta being simulcast?

You're full of shit and you know it.
>>
>>14220480
>What is the worst thing that has happened to mecha genre and why is it Harmony Gold?
It isn't. HG;s a company only relevant for rustling the jimmies of a few grognards just by somehow still being around.

HG was sort of an issue when we had to rely on VHS/DVD releases to see new shows, but when they're up on torrents usually within hours, who gives a fuck.

And they're not always to blame for shit to begin with - remember when /m/ flipped out over HG supposedly killing the Mechwarrior reboot just by C&Ding the video? And that turned out to be the developer just wanting those F2P bux instead of making a real game?

The worst thing for the mecha genre has been the decline in interest, and that's (partially) because kids aren't into giant robots like they used to be. Now it's all Pokemon and card games. Decline in interest means toy manufacturers aren't wanting to make many robot shows to sell shit, and that means we have a hell of a lot less of them.
>>
>>14226283
>7
We almost did, during the anime boom. The rights themselves were absurdly high, and the music rights were separate - that's where the whole thing came from in the first place. ADV wanted to do it but backed out due to the cost, and they were cool with HG so that wasn't an issue.
>>
File: 1414024536467.jpg (9 KB, 300x235) Image search: [Google]
1414024536467.jpg
9 KB, 300x235
As much as it sucks, some jew company being a dick about western rights to a few shows is far from the worst thing to happen to the mecha genre and whining about it is futile since they've made it clear over the past decade that shit ain't gonna change. If you really want to make some sort of difference, import those subtitled Delta BDs and let Kawamori know that there's an audience outside of Japan for his work. We got all the good shit anyways, Zero and Frontier really aren't worth all this butthurt.
>>
>>14226322
Says you, you dumb Charposter.
>>
>>14226322
Kawamori knows about the western fans, he fucking wishes he could air his goddamn show here, the only problem, as awlays, is HG being jackasses
>>
>>14226370
Pretty much.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/#142273011683
>>
>>14226322
>let Kawamori know that there's an audience outside of Japan for his work.
He already knows that. Did you think they were subtitled for no reason? The Frontier blurays had subtitles too.

>We got all the good shit anyways, Zero and Frontier really aren't worth all this butthurt.
First of all, you don't get to say that

Second of all, besides those two, no DYRL, Flashback 2012, 7, Dynamite and movie, Frontier movies, FB7 and of course Delta, not even a simulcast in this age of 90% of anime getting simulcast.
>>
>>14225376
True but those Gundam blurays usually come out several years after their release in Japan. And do they have dual audio?

Anime is expensive in Japan so I don't see why it should be cheaper elsewhere. Economy of scale actually doesn't work for anime.
>>
>>14225973
America has a trade imbalance with lots of countries.

Turned out that other countries weren't inferior to the US and could make stuff just as good. Look what happened with Germany and Japan in the auto industry.
Or look at Airbus- the US used to be the only ones making passenger jets.

Now the US has to compete on equal terms and they don't always win
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.