[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it really as bad as folk say it is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: G-crossfire.jpg (17 KB, 259x300) Image search: [Google]
G-crossfire.jpg
17 KB, 259x300
Just finished trying it out for the first time and actually found it to enjoyable. Granted the technical flaws of it's jittering framerate and questionable hit detection were obvious flaws, but I found it to be one of the realistic gundam simulators I have played. What did /m/ think of it?
>>
0081 senki was better
>>
>>14208840
Senki by all accounts did a lot of things better for sure, stable framerate, a larger roster and more advanced customization options, a more fleshed out story mode. Though I never could bring myself to like Senki all that much, maybe due to emphasis on heavy grinding and some of missions being bloody endurance rounds going on nearly half an hour with no checkpoints. A good game, but not my favorite.
>>
Its a more realistic Journey to Jaburo, so to speak. The realistic tone of the game is what makes it one of my favorite Gundam games. Frame rate doesn't matter as much if you're captivated by its realism and serious tone.
>>
>>14208815
>dat ancient ps3 spiderman font logo
I'd nearly forgotten about that despite having many games fro that era. How far we've come...

Also how did I never hear of this game before and the fact that it was released over here? All I knew that came over were the musou's.
>>
>>14208815
What sucks about this game is the effects it had on Bamco's confidence in overseas Gundam fans. This one fucking mediocre game saw only Dynasty Warriors Gundam titles get released outside East Asia all the way until the most recent Gundam Breakers game. But that's Bamco's fault for being too sensitive and thinking that the bad reaction to this game meant that there are no Gundam fans outside of East Asia.
>>
>>14208815
Controls were awful and Zeon shit was made out of wet cardboard.
>>
>>14209916
It also killed our chances of getting Operation Troy for the 360. While a battlefield clone, it was a battlefield clone with Mobile suits included. Sadly it seemed that Crossfires abysmal sales and reputation killed the chances of the U.S ever seeing it.
>>
>>14208815
The thign about is that it was just a watered down Zeonic Front that allowed you to choose whatever side and was pretty boring, it didn't have a nice story like the first or anything else and the actual good gundam game wasn't released here so it killed the hype for any other gundam game that wasn't Musouthough I do like Musou games
>>
>>14209992
I actually still have my receipt for the preorder for that.

Still disappointed we didn't get it.
>>
>>14209549
You're right--you must live in a cave.
>>
>>14210094
I too, am saddened.
>>
>>14208815
Wasn't this the only English Gundam game in the last 20 years?

Aside from web-based cardgames.
>>
File: Crossfire Campaigns.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Crossfire Campaigns.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>14208815
I liked it. I never did manage to beat the Zeon campaign on Very Hard difficulty, though. Glitching supply points and respawning Guntanks...
>>
>>14210135
Well, there is the Dynasty Warriors Gundam-games too.
>>
>>14210135
nah, there's a bunch, like the gundam musou games, and a swath of games for PS2 like journey to jaburo
>>
>>14208815

It was good at its core but it needed a HUGE amount of polishing.

Scene transitions, voice acting, some of the visual effects, mission layout, level design and some of the UI was really lacking.

But the core of it - combat with mobile suits and against mobile suits - was solid as fuck. Being able to fire 2-3 guns on a mobile suit at once, using beam weapons with dash attacks, even kicking an enemy to death was really satisfying. Targeting should've been better, though.

If they'd given it to a better dev team with the same core premise, it could've been a 7/10 vs a 5/10 game.
>>
>>14210140
It's kind of funny--I got the game before knowing much about Gundam (beyond Musou 1 and a few episodes of G Gundam). The first time I tried playing it, I thought that the beam guns' low ammunition count and slow projectile speed made them next to useless (like the bazookas), so I stuck to the machine guns, got confused when the higher-level suits didn't have any non-beam primary weapons, and rage-quit when my MG-equipped suits were sniped from across the map by beams that I thought were completely useless in the player's hands.

Months later, I looked the game up on GameFAQs and realized that the beam rifle was the best weapon in the game...
>>
>>14210172
the lack of polish came from the fact that it was a launch title, they rushed it

also because PS3 was difficult to develop for in the beginning, moreso than other consoles because of the weird architechture
>>
>>14208815
Which gundam is that?
Some kind of FA ground gundam?
>>
File: 1455730327468.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1455730327468.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>14209992

>Operation Troy? What's that?
>look it up on YouTube

FUCK
>>
I remember me and friends playing burned copies of the op troy demo back in those days
>>
>>14209992
I had Operation Troy and it sucked dick. Clunky controls, ground combat was extremely ass, and any semblance of balance went out the wazoo because ground troops moved like molasses, did jackshit for damage and were easy pickings for everyone in an MS.
>>
>>14208815

I picked it up used for like $2.

I'm as casual as they come as far as video games, and this game is unkind to me. I like the idea of this game much more than the Dynasty Warriors stuff, though.
>>
>>14210762
Just a regular Ground Gundam, but the box cover makes it seem a bit bulkier than the average model.
>>
>>14211030
So Ground troops lacked any real use in battle outside of being a novelty? That's unfortunate, though the idea of being ambushed by a few lone soldiers with rocket launchers taking down a zaku engaged in a battle with a GM is a neat thought.
>>
This game sucks or not?
>>
>>14210932
>mfw when

Anyway when is Bandai going to try and coward out of releasing a new gundam game here, I want a Federation vs Zeon sequel. That game is the only reason I got into buying these stupid toys.
>>
>>14210080
zeonic front? have you played either game?
>>
>>14209943
actually, BOTH sides were running Super Robot Wars D rules. Armor is USELESS.

on topic, Crossfire was bad because of its unrealistic expectations of the player and the overall STUPID way this game makes itself hard.

if you lose your right arm, you're FUCKED. no saber. no primary. you're stuck to a weak kick and your vulcans...if you have any.
>>
Thinking about getting a good flight simulator controller to try n simulate a lot of gundam games (mainly this one specifically). Am I a retard or would this work?
> pic related
>>
One thing I remember liking when playing this game was getting new suits. I think it was when I upgraded from the first GM suit they give you to the GM Type C and was like "holy shit, this GM is actually pretty fast and can turn better"
>>
>>14213123
Agreed, though the feeling existed in diffrent strides based on the sides. The Gm on the Federation side is a good machine, pulling you though at least half the campaign with some upgrades. Meanwhile the Zaku II is trash and needs to be replaced with quite frankly a non-zaku type as soon as possible. Once you get the Dom or the Gouf Custom, Zeon becomes a bit more enjoyable.
>>
>>14210178
This was probably how Zeon engineers felt when they heard about the federation trying to miniaturize beam weapons for MS use. In hindsight, they probably should have spent more time engin-eering instead of engin-sneering.
>>
I must have sucked at the game pretty bad then because when I tried to play the game at my local game store to see if I would buy it. The game gave me little to no instruction on how to play then I kept getting sniped from fog I couldn't see into any time I tried to move any-ware besides the spawn.
>>
>>14213060
I can't speak for anything post-PS2, but from my experiences trying a stick on a Gundam game is a crap shoot based on whatever the controls are.

Like for me, it was the DC with Rise From The Ashes. I used this bigass trackball stick thing. The stick was the only thing it supported, hat switch was move, big stick was aim, trigger and spare thumb switches was the other stuff.
It wasn't very intuitive but it let me move the unit and aim the torso at the same time, which changes how it plays a lot.
>>
>>14213060
gundam extreme vs full boost plays surprisingly well with a gran turismo driving wheel. I'm serious.
>>
>>14208815
I liked it particularly for the realism, and I admit that Senki seems a whole lot better, but we take what we can get in English.

I mostly disliked it for the poor mission variability and the lackluster plot. You were supposed to enjoy feeling like you were a real Feddie or Zeon ace, but instead you're just some nameless fuck doing mediocre MS management (for god knows what reason, it was a useless mechanic that only ended up breaking with canon unless apparently every UC ace has a stable of about 18 MS just to himself) and doing the same missions over and over again.
As well, only mobile MS really were valuable; bazookas were sort of crappy because they were an ass to hit anything with, and anything with a cannon attached to it was too goddamn slow to be any fun.

I wanted to love that game, and bring my side to victory, but instead it was just a simulator.
>doesn't stop it for being my favorite (available) Gundam game outside of Gundam Breaker 2/3 though
>>
A good thing Crossfire did was it really opened up a fun exploration of grunt suits (albeit some balance was absolute shite particularly for suits otherwise meant for ordnance; they were far too immobile).
>True happiness is operating a full-health Gouf Custom with shield gatling and MMP-80 AT THE SAME TIME WITH BOTH HANDS to grind apart Federation Gundams through sheer firepower.
>>
>>14213571
A fully upgraded Gouf Custom is pure love in this game. Great dismembering melee, two powerful machine guns with a chance of ripping into Ground Gundam armor, a spare machine gun in case the Shield Gatling can't be resupplied, a heat rod to stop incoming melee attacks...by all means I see why Norris was packing one of these.

In the long run though, the best Zeon machines varied between the Dom and Gelgoog. Dom for it's mobilty and fully upgraded rakaten Bazooka, and the Gelgoog for it's nagita and upgraded beam rifle.
>>
>>14212863
Have you? Or did you not read the words "watered down"? This is in fact a worse Zeonic Front, none of the fun mechanics that game had or interesting story
>>
It was an early PS3 title. When people just bought their big new $600 doohickey they wanted a game that looked and ran better than a PS2 title. Crossfire didn't deliver on either of these counts and was mediocre as a game in general as are most Gundam games. You really have to be into the series to really appreciate Crossfire and even that is stressed when you consider it's only marginally better than the older PS2 titles like Zeonic Front or even Journey to Jaburo.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.