[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know, "killing God" is not the reason I would choose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: weltall01.jpg (60 KB, 304x500) Image search: [Google]
weltall01.jpg
60 KB, 304x500
You know, "killing God" is not the reason I would choose for building a giant robot, but it's probably the most ambitious one I've heard so far.
>>
>>14208437
Good luck with your self condemnation.
>>
File: 2c7.jpg (60 KB, 1018x518) Image search: [Google]
2c7.jpg
60 KB, 1018x518
>>14208437
>>Not trying to kill God with a Mecha
>>
>>14208437

So what is it? Kind of looks like a variable fighter, though I assume it's not.
>>
>>14214990
It's from Xenogears.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6 KB, 255x198
Doth thou desire the power?
>>
>>14216378
I've already had enough deals with a shady, long-nosed dude named Igor, but thanks anyway.
>>
>>14215003
>not knowing Xenogears
>in the year of our lord of two thousand and twenty sixteen

I don't even
>>
>>14214990

Honestly I don't remember how Welltall-1 is piloted. I think it's through normal analog controls.

>>14216386
>long nose

Those are the horn things on the side of its head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmAt4F5wyUM
>>
>>14216506
Gears are piloted with sticks and buttons, omnigears are commanded via thought by the pilot.
>>
No matter what happens, no matter how shitty your life is

It will always, ALWAYS turn out better than Ramsus's.
>>
>>14216553
Wasn't he basically Liquid Snake?
>>
>>14216580

>Clone of Cain, the first Deus-created human on the planet and thus compatible with ALL Anima Relic
>seen by Krelian as a failure as just a fetus because he couldn't bring about Krelian's plans to reach God
>only survived because Miang as Karen saw him as a useful puppet
>brought up specifically in such a way that he would always have an inferiority complex
>his monstergirl waifus' hometown is destroyed by Id
>a girl tells him she loves him and will always be there for him, but that girl is Miang
>purposely given shit jobs even when in command positions so that he feels undervalued
>meets Fei
>continually loses to Fei
>jobs hard to Id when he wants to avenge his monstergirls
>turns out the girl who said she loved him, never did and he was just a tool to her
>he kills Krelian and Miang, which means jackshit because Krelian is immortal thanks to nanomachine and Miang is a bodyjacker

At least Liquid was a successful leader of FOXHOUND for years.
>>
>>14216498
Indeed, how dare people not know about a mediocre at best Playstation game that sold poorly!
>>
>>14216729

Don't be that way. It was an extremely ambitious game for its time, and one of the first big budget titles that was about mechs, philosophy, gnosticism, and a complete lack of understanding of Jungian psychology.
>>
>>14216739
All irrelevant to the fact that it's mediocre at best. You don't get points for being a failure, faggot.
>>
>>14216764
>All irrelevant to the fact that it's mediocre at best.

Well I disagree, it's easily one of my favorite PS1 games. Also a lot of its story issues are due to having a really bad, rushed translation all done by one guy.
>>
>>14216729
>that sold poorly
>1.46 million internationally in year of release
That's not bad for a ps1 era game that got next to 0 advertising and you basically only found out about it by word of mouth. Yeah it's no FFVII, but almost no other game at the time sold 11 million copies at launch.
>>
>>14216784
Also just for reference, the other 2 ps1 mecha games that people on /m/ remember

Armored Core 1: 0.41 million worldwide
Front Mission 3: 0.52 million worldwide

A game doesn't necesarily have to sell a lot to be well-received and talked about. Mecha is already a niche genre as it is.
>>
>>14216784
>next to 0 advertising
Well its demo was included with Parasite Eve for what that's worth.
>>
>>14216817
>a demo was included with a game that was in itself a tech demo

This is too meta for me.
>>
File: demonbane omniverse.jpg (1 MB, 1151x2779) Image search: [Google]
demonbane omniverse.jpg
1 MB, 1151x2779
>>14208437
>>
>>14216739
It's still a total clusterfuck though.
The Xenomyth in general is a colossal clusterfuck in any incarnation shy of the original Xenoblade Chronicles, and that's only because XBC stuck to a simpler take on the gnostic narrative.
>>
>>14216905
>It's still a total clusterfuck though.

Not really. Xenogears is probably the easiest game in the series to understand, assuming you can read Japanese. Hell I think all of them except Xenosaga are easy to understand. Sure some stuff was lost in general and you need Perfect Works, but aside from the very ending Xenogears is honestly a pretty straightforward game.
>>
>>14217018
>Sure some stuff was lost in general and you need Perfect Works, but aside from the very ending Xenogears is honestly a pretty straightforward game.

This kinda undermines any counterargument against Gears' clusterfuckiness, though.

I think the issue at play is the level of insanity and ambition behind the gnostic narrative. Blade was helped out immensely by being from the getgo a oneshot.
>>
>>14217049
>This kinda undermines any counterargument against Gears' clusterfuckiness, though.

Does it? Most of the missing stuff in Xenogears is just background information. The main story is all there, I can never think of a point where I played the game and didn't know what was going on.
>>
>>14217018
>Not really. Xenogears is probably the easiest game in the series to understand, assuming you can read Japanese.
It also happens to be the only one that's fun to play.
>>
File: 1453159978136.jpg (612 KB, 1053x1100) Image search: [Google]
1453159978136.jpg
612 KB, 1053x1100
>>14216378
>>
>>14217332
>not enjoying gangbanging mobs with full meter while your party screams corny dialog

AHL SMOSH U UP, M8
>>
>>14216899
Don't forget Transformers, Godzilla, and Doctor Who!
>>
>>14216899
Because of marvel and dc being brought into this that means demonbane effectively killed off at least 70% of western fiction considering all the crossovers done between marvel,dc and a whole of other franchises
>>
>>14217334

The idea of Mugihito's voice teaching us to paint is the wierdest thing.
>>
>>14216899
Did they get some sort of innate nerdy satisfaction with this ending?
>>
>>14216739
>It was an extremely ambitious game for its time

It wasnt?
What's ambitious in making a cookie cutter JRPG with 20 hours of dialogue and 5 of actual, barebones gameplay? I'd call a game like SaGa Frontier or Lunatic Dawn 3 ambitious, those actually tried to make their own thing regardless of the standards of the time and bring some fresh air to the genre.

Xenogears is painfully generic in mostly everything, you wnat a turn based JRPG where you pilot giant robutts? Cyber Knight already did that years before on the SNES, you want philosophy&psychology 101? Go play a Megaten game.

If by ambitious you mean that they wanted to make it into a Star Wars like, long running, fragmented series that never came to be that's not ambition, it's called wasted potential.
>>
>>14212258
>Good luck with your self condemnation.

who's gonna condemn you? The guy you just killed? Shyeah right. good luck with that.
>>
File: gallery_9_4_172395.jpg (363 KB, 800x497) Image search: [Google]
gallery_9_4_172395.jpg
363 KB, 800x497
>>14216553
>It will always, ALWAYS turn out better than Ramsus's.

>The end of the game sees him alive with a harem of girls who adore him who have their own voltron.

you sure about that, guy?
>>
>>14217374
XBC's battle system somehow managed to turn me off of the game than Saga's did.
>>
>>14218890
>voltron
*GoLion
Ftfy senpai
>>
>>14220080

not the take away
>>
>>14220208
What are you talking about?
>>
I don't mind that Margie never became a party member as planned.

But man, the fact that we didn't get Rasmus in our party as planned is what kills me.
>>
>>14218742
If PW is anything to go by, especially for what is in some ways a multi-generational story, very few games are as fleshed out and detailed as XG was.
>>
>>14220221
Ha
>>
>>14218890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4a7iw5SJc
>>
>>14220214

nobody likes a weaboo fuck you weaboo fuck
>>
>>14220258
He says as he and everybody on this board is one. That does add up though, I'll give you that.
>>
>>14218890
It was more like a dancouga than a GoLion since they were all different animals.

>>14220228
Have you read PW? It's extremely detailed.
>>
>>14220325
Not well
>>
>>14216899
>Call of Duty, The Division, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Mass Effect and Far Cry were unaffected

Feels bad man
>>
>>14217332
Saga 3 was fun enough, mostly because it was a pretty safe battle system.
>>
>>14216899
>Not implying dreams in layers.
>Not implying all realities are dreams of others who resides of those dreams.
>Not Implying everything is part of Demonbane since it can influence all dreams.
>Make a useless chart when it's obvious the Demonbane is real and that it can influence our reality and our head cannon weither we like it or not.
Why are you're insisting on posting that useless image? It been established that every canon is part of Demonbane canon, and that Demonbane is real.
>>
>>14220607
I'm sure that is the case, Demoncuck :^)
>>
So coincidentally I'm replaying Xenogears now because TFS is replaying it and I wanted a refresher and I have some early-game questions.

Was Calamity the Seibzehn prototype?
What was that move Fei used to destroy it?
Is Kislev being supported by Shevat like Ave is by Solaris?
>>
>>14220715
Let's plays are cancer.
>>
>>14221015
The only good ones are the official SA ones.

And even then a good chunk of them are crap.
>>
>>14221015

That didn't really answer his questions. Speaking of which

Yes
It's one of his Hyper Mode deathblows
No, they're just powerful because they happen to be sitting on top of a functioning nuclear reactor, possibly from the Zeboim era
>>
>>14217374
WHAT A BUNCH OF JOKERS
>>
>>14221082
LET'S PRESS ON
AND ON
AND
ON
>>
>>14221084
LET'S NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH
>>
>>14220715
>What was that move Fei used to destroy it?

Kishin. His final hypermode deathblow. Id also used it to down Bart when he fought him that one time.

Most people probably never see it in game because by the time Fei gets to a high enough level to use it you've likely already gotten Xenogears by then and it's Kishin is very different looking.
>>
File: xe-dom.jpg (40 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
xe-dom.jpg
40 KB, 540x304
Nice mech OP.

Be a shame if something were to happen to me.
>>
>>14222453
to it*
>>
>>14220325
>>14220080
>Make a reference to a guy who had a bad life ending up with a nightly orgy
>people focus on the semantics of the robot being referenced

Never change /m/
>>
>>14222453
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLCvs2pQJOE Yea ok, anon
>>
>>14222545

That scene bother's me so much. Because Id previously took Weltal out for a spin when you're playing as Citan running around that Zeboim base. And yet despite this he left Yggdrasil and returned to it without anyone on the ship noticing even though he smashed through the hull here.
>>
File: trash.jpg (1 MB, 1300x1155) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
1 MB, 1300x1155
>>14220217
>wanting trash in your party
>>
>>14222729

Uh..huh. yeah. that is a thing isn't it.

man I guess Square's writers where always kind of shit
>>
>>14222729
>>14222822
There's another scene where it showed that Id can make Weltall just teleport to his location.
>>
>>14223029

yeah but people would still notice Welltall was fucking gone. There's a lot of people who work on the maintenance crew. It doesn't matter if it's teleported out or if busts through a wall
>>
>>14223038
Considering Fei and Weltall are always gone at the same time, I always assumed they just thought Fei went out and took it with him. I mean it's not like Bart doesn't do it all the time.
>>
>>14223069
>Considering Fei and Weltall are always gone at the same time,

Fei was literally in the hospital dying and everyone knew it

> I always assumed they just thought Fei went out and took it with him

They would have seen him leave out the hanger. You don't just come and go when you exit a sub with a giant robot.
>>
>>14223076
Look I'm just guessing here.

Also I thought Id didn't take welcome with him into the Zeboim ruins, since didn't he fight off Wiseman in Alpha Weltall with his bare hands? Or am I misremembering?
>>
>>14223080
didn't take Weltall
>>
File: id with Welltall in zeboim.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
id with Welltall in zeboim.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>14223080
>>14223085

You are indeed
>>
>>14216772
>It's my favourite game so it's objectively good!
>>
>>14220221
>very few games are as fleshed out and detailed as XG was.

You really need to play more games if you seriously think that son.

Besides, if you wanna take PWs volumes in consideration go read SaGa Frontier and SaGa Frontier 2's ones and get blown away by all the carefully crafted lore and all the crazy stuff that was implied in the games, Xenogears isn't even nearly as accurate in explaining its pseudoscience as SaGa Frontier 2.

Xenogears is more or less the same as Star Ocean 2 in terms of lore, just with more pretentious pseudopsychological bullshit.
>>14220715
>Was Calamity the Seibzehn prototype?
Kind of
>What was that move Fei used to destroy it?
A half assed Kishin, the same one Id uses.
>Is Kislev being supported by Shevat like Ave is by Solaris?
What? Hell no, if anything it was the contrary seeing how Nortune was basically Ethos central. Kislev is pretty much Solaris' territory, the Wells in the sewers is the definite proof of that.
>>
>>14220257
That looks more like the Dancouga combination than voltron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1yM8LIg9O4
>>
>>14223482
>just with more pretentious pseudopsychological bullshit.
But that's what I like in games.
>>
>>14223482
>Kislev is pretty much Solaris' territory

Wait then why is Gebler fighting them through using Aveh? It didn't seem like they were fighting themselves.
>>
>>14223482
>You really need to play more games if you seriously think that son.
I said few games, not few jrpgs. Most games either don't care about its storytelling, and even for a lot of jrpgs most of them are just stock anime plots. Especially anything made by Bamco.

So yes, I stand by saying that few games are as fleshed out and detailed as XG.
>>
>>14223429

Who ever said anything about objectivity? You said it's a mediocre game and I disagree, and liking the game is good enough for me. It's the only thing that should matter for anything.
>>
>>14225753

then why even argue at all. You're allowed to quietly like things. If you're gonna defend the game or argue people you need more to go on than LOLPINIONS
>>
>>14225639

The war, much like the Ethos was manipulated by Solaris as part of their experiments. Kislev was no different. The battling arena was oversaught by them and the people were experimented on with the Wels in the sewers and the demihumans.

Kislev was being assisted by the Execution and Krelian, who they only knew as a mysterous group that aided them.

It's unknown if Gebler knew about this but the Solarian council and Krelian were definitely playing both sides. Remember they were manipulating everyone to bring back Deus.
>>
>>14223129
Each time this guy appears with his background music that evokes mystery, I question the universe.
>>
>>14225652
You can stand by being wrong, then.
>>
>>14218742
> OPINIONS

dude SaGa Frontier was released unfinished. Not rushed, unfinished.

I can't think of a better way to invalidate your own opinion.
>>
>>14225639
>Wait then why is Gebler fighting them through using Aveh?
Gebler=/=Solaris
Solaris=/=Krelian

Keep in mind that Solaris isn't a single entity, on one side you have Krelian, on one other side you have the Gazel ministry and the Ethos which are pretty much using Gebler for their own agenda and then you have Kain, Citan and arguably Sigurd, which are another small but significant part of the Solarian faction.

Sometimes Krelian's and the Gazel's objectives overlaps(not like the Gazel even knew Krelian was actually playing his own game), and they work together in achieving a common goal, but Solaris is a very fragmented faction, you should think that all the organs you see in the game are one unified entity.

Hell, even Myang was a part of Solaris at the time and she add her own agenda, arguably Grahf too.

>>14225652
>and even for a lot of jrpgs most of them are just stock anime plots.
That's pretty rich considering Xenogears' plot shamelessly rips off loads of anime plots without adding any kind of original content.
>>14226680
SaGa Frontier's being unfinished is a meme born here on 4chan, they cut down on developing one main character route when they weren't even near the cut off date and some other content, namely a few cutscenes in Asellus' story were simply omitted because they weren't deemed appropriate and were a bit too risky in terms of content.

Compare it to the disastrous disc 2 of Xenogears, were the game turns into a literal VN and you can see why SaGa Frontier was actually one of the top selling Playstation game of all time and Xenogears wasn't.

Besides, what does that have to do with being ambitious? Are you really telling me Xenogears is a more ambitious project than SaGa Frontier based on SaGa Frontier being releashed as "unfinished"? Even most successful and ambitious games today are released unfinished or with a lot of cut content, see Gothic or the Soul series for that.
>>
>>14216764
Who shit in your cereal?
>>
>xenogears
>good

the only reason it was worthwhile was the fact that it had giant robots, especially seibzehn.
>>
>4chan
>not being contrarian
Reminder that you're not allowed to like things that people outside of 4chan like, that's a big no no here and a great blunder.
>>
With all the JRPG ports Squeenix has been dropping on smartphones, I would jizz my pants if Xenogears made it there.
>>
>>14227138
I'm sorry you don't like the truth.

>>14227353
>people have any remotely negative or constructive discussion about something
>can only be people being contrarian, the thing in question cannot possibly have flaws
Grow a pair.
>>
>>14227971

this faggot probably likes g reco.
>>
>>14216729
Most good games that we recognise as classics today sold poorly anon.

Gamers suck.

Sure I may be a hipster but at least I do my own research and refuse to be swayed by IGN and ecelebs.

Game budgets nowadays are matched by marketing costs.
>>
>>14228653
As long as you admit that that is not the case with garbage like the Xeno games, then that's fine. And don't you be pretending gamers are any worst than weebs like you.
>>
>>14227120
>Gebler=/=Solaris

Yes it is, Gebler is the military arm of Solaris devoted to surface operations.
>>
>>14228831

If you think it's garbage, why are you in this thread? What do you contribute other than to stir up shit?
>>
>>14226357
>then why even argue at all. You're allowed to quietly dislike things. If you're gonna attack the game or argue people you need more to go on than LOLPINIONS

"LOLPINIONS"? Seriously, son?
>>
>>14227120
>Myang
If you're going to try and correct the spelling, it's Myyah and Karellen
>>
>>14228882

To discuss and make sure people aren't getting the wrong impression of them.
>>
>>14228878

Gebler might not have been on the know for many of Solaris's (or rather the Gazel's) true motives though.
>>
File: 1462921821937.jpg (41 KB, 600x920) Image search: [Google]
1462921821937.jpg
41 KB, 600x920
>>14228911
>I'm actively devoting all of my time and energy into making sure anonymous strangers on the internet echo my hive mind instead of actually experiencing things for themselves and forming their own opinions about them!
>And I want you to know that I'm fully aware that that is exactly what I am doing!
>>
>>14228958
>all of my time and energy
Don't delude yourself. I don't spend much of any time for series that are as bad as this one is.
>>
>>14228999
You're still here.
You could be doing something more important, but you're still here.

>inb4 you too
I know, dear.
>>
Let's not lose our heads now, girls.
>>
>>14229002
Your point is?
>>
Considering how much of a slow burn everything was before that, XCX's last 2 chapters didn't deserve to be as amazing as they were.
>>
>>14228911
>>14228999
No, what you're doing is posting for the sake of causing problems, which is in fact what the rules define as shitposting.

>inb4 you just want a hugbox

Call it whatever you want pal, I'm not the one committing a reportable offense.
>>
>>14229609
No it's not, and yes, you are.
>>
File: 1453580607279.png (4 MB, 1753x1370) Image search: [Google]
1453580607279.png
4 MB, 1753x1370
>>14229597
XCX's main story is fairly weak, but it makes up for it with the sidequests.
>>
>>14229597
I could say much the same about Monado, really.

>a rather gradual tale of a britbong's insatiable desire for revengeance culminates in styling on God so hard that even the Monad itself is like DAMN SON.
>>
>>14229658

So much cringe it's not even funny
>>
File: 1453168075360.jpg (450 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1453168075360.jpg
450 KB, 1280x720
>>14229682
>>
>>14229597
I didn't think I would kill the Vita before Sony did.
>>
>>14229714

But seriously though, the Ma-non are complete monsters when it comes to pizza.
>>
Xenogears story is pretty awesome.

I just think a lot of it went over people's heads. When they don't understand something they tend to call it "pretentious".

I can understand that not everyone likes story or dialogue so maybe that is why some hate it so much.
>>
>>14230768
>I just think a lot of it went over people's heads.
I love the story of Gears, but I never understand why people say they can't understand it. I don't think the game could present what it's trying to present any simpler (in Japanese anyway). All that ever goes through my mind when people say it was confusing is "were we playing the same game?"

I mean even when disk 2 got majorly cut, the stuff that's still in there is the actual plot, and that plot isn't complicated. It just has a lot of themes.
>>
>>14216764
It's been classified as one of the best games of all time by many publications.
It's the better FFVII.
>>
>>14230790

Well technically it was pitched as FF7, but Square basically said "that's a little too dark for a mainine FF game. So how about you go make it as a separate thing instead?"
>>
Say what you want about Xenogears, it left an impact on people that played it.
Even the music was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJMFBBlvJs
>>
>>14228878
>Gebler is the military arm of Solaris devoted to surface operations.

You're missing the point here.

Gebler is FORMALLY Solaris' military force that operates on the surface, that's true, the problem is the actual affiliation.

Gebler officially works under Kain's order, that is why common Solarians think highly of those who are in its ranks, problem is Gebler actually operates under Krelian's order who in turn operates(HAHAHAHA not really) under the Gazel's Ministry orders who in turn are working to bring back Deus.
To make matters worse Myang is part of Gebler and she has her own agenda, so basically she, the Ministry and Krelian juggle Gebler around to make them do all kinds of shit, and don't forget Gebler also has ties with the Ethos who also have ties with Myang and Krelian.

So, yes, in theory Gebler is part of Solaris, in practice though? Not really, they're puppets in the hands of three/four different sub-factions under the umbrella faction of Solaris, Gebler can pretty much be considered a neutral faction.

The very same can be said of the Ethos, yes, formally they're part of Solaris, practically, they're Myang and Krelian's own Gestapo.
>>14230783
>I don't think the game could present what it's trying to present any simpler

That's actually one of my main gripes with the game, aside the almost non existent gameplay.

Most of the themes are just thrown there and never picked up again or expanded upon, see all the pseudo Jungian analysis of Id by Citan, the flashbacks with Fei's mother being Myang, hell even Fei's dad and Grahf, they're barely articulated and end up being just there.
I mean, if they make it such a big deal that Myang possessed Fei's mom why does she never brings it up with either Krelian, who was buddy buddy with her from back then, or Grahf, who arguably was working with her for the same purpose? Then there's those totally stupid moments like crucified Chu-Chu which take themselves way too seriously.
>>
File: 1453586820708.jpg (460 KB, 1272x1434) Image search: [Google]
1453586820708.jpg
460 KB, 1272x1434
>>14229714
The best part of the game has to be the way you can almost always choose to act like a jackass.
>>
>>14230846

Mitsuda is IMO one of the greatest composers videogames has. It's hard for me to put people above Shimomura but he's one of them.
>>
>>14231433
>see all the pseudo Jungian analysis of Id by Citan
>hell even Fei's dad and Grahf

I wouldn't even call that stuff psychology because it's basically reality warping due to the Wave Existence's influence. Yes the other side is kept in check by the mind, but the body physically changes.

>the flashbacks with Fei's mother being Myyah

But that had purpose, it showed the reasons behind Id's creation, and the source behind Ramsus's massive inferiorrity complex.

>I mean, if they make it such a big deal that Myyah possessed Fei's mom why does she never brings it up

She never seems to bring up any of her past incarnations. I mean she's basically a robot that can't deviate from her programming, Not to mention she doesn't like Grahf it seems.

I mean, you only find out she ended the Zeboim era through a computer.

>Then there's those totally stupid moments like crucified Chu-Chu which take themselves way too seriously.

Look I can defend a lot of things about XG, but I'm not gonna defend this. It was stupid and everyone knows it.
>>
>>14217334
>Grahf
>h

Pic ruined.
>>
>>14231801
I picked every choice specifically just to piss him off more and more. It was worth it. I wish that I could use my screanshots off the WiiU though... So many wallpapers...
>>
File: get_out.gif (40 KB, 300x365) Image search: [Google]
get_out.gif
40 KB, 300x365
>>14221037
>SA
>>
>>14231906
>Yes the other side is kept in check by the mind, but the body physically changes.

The problem is that it never explained why and how Id takes control of Fei, sometimes it's due to some shocks like Fei getting overly angry over something just like when Citan taunts him in Solaris and sometimes it comes out just because when Fei is unconscious, not to mention that it also doesn't explain how Grahf/Lacann can do the same with Fei's father, and worst of all it doesn't really expand upon Lacann being actually a rogue part of Fei's previous personality.
If Lacann can use other bodies as host then why didn't he just hijack Fei's body once he found him in the desert? After all, if he managed to do the same with his father, which was arguably more powerful and mentally stable, then why go through the trouble of creating Id instead of just possessing Fei and getting more POWER for himself? Using Id as a proxy for his plan sounds kinda bullshit in hindsight considering he was bullshit strong from the beginning, he should have been able to get what he wanted back when Fei was a child.

>But that had purpose

What purpose? Besides Grahf wanting to make his former/partial?/original? ego go mad for reasons and destroy everything there's no real purpose to Id, and moreover it doesn't make sense for Myyah to actually help Grahf doing this unless she was literally so much of a moron to keep on fucking up her plans in favor of Abel/Fei, she should know that Fei is Abel, making him go mad like that and destroy the Zohar doesn't exactly help her plans either.

Besides, even Grahf has his second thoughts about this when you fight him for the last time, so much for a fraction of Lacann's ego that should be pretty much all despair and rage.

>Not to mention she doesn't like Grahf it seems.

That's probably because she had an inkling that Grahf is a part of Abel, but then again, the game doesn't say anything about that.
>>
>>14221015

So are video games, so it fits very well.
>>
>>14218887
>>14212258
Except they save the real god at the end. They only kill the demiurge equivalent.
>>
>>14228887
>correcting Myyah and Karellen
>not correcting Gevurah and Graf
>>
>>14228887
>>14232117

That's because Myyah and Karellen sound retarded in English
>>
>>14232135
>Karellen sound retarded in English

It's literally from English to begin with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood%27s_End

>>14232060
>The problem is that it never explained why and how Id takes control of Fei, sometimes it's due to some shocks like Fei getting overly angry over something just like when Citan taunts him in Solaris and sometimes it comes out just because when Fei is unconscious

Id comes out whenever there's a situation The Coward can't handle, whether it's psychological or physical.

>it also doesn't explain how Grahf/Lacann can do the same with Fei's father

When they got hit with Fei's surge of energy it nearly killed them both, so Graff fused their souls together to save himself. How? Fuck you he's the Contact, that's how.

>and worst of all it doesn't really expand upon Lacann being actually a rogue part of Fei's previous personality.

What's not to get, Lacan exists in two places at once because the circumstances behind him kinda fucked with the reincarnation of memories system.

>then why go through the trouble of creating Id instead of just possessing Fei and getting more POWER for himself?

Because Grahf can't control Fei, he doesn't have possession powers like Myyah. He just shares a body with Fei's dad.

>his plan sounds kinda bullshit in hindsight considering he was bullshit strong from the beginning, he should have been able to get what he wanted back when Fei was a child.
>and moreover it doesn't make sense for Myyah to actually help Grahf doing this unless she was literally so much of a moron to keep on fucking up her plans in favor of Abel/Fei, she should know that Fei is Abel, making him go mad like that and destroy the Zohar doesn't exactly help her plans either.

Grahf no longer has access to the Wave Existence's full power so he's not capable of destroying Deus. She keeps him around because last time she worked with him, he wiped out 98% of humans, which for her is good in strengthening the rest for Deus.
>>
>>14232230
Thank you for reminding me of a vastly superior work.
>>
>>14232245

It's where we got Riki's name too.
>>
>>14232245
>a book by Arthur C. Clarke is better than the writing of a video game
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you think? I'm in shock here. Next you'll tell me that Foundation is better written than literally every anime ever made, and I'll just find it hard to believe you.
>>
>>14232230
>Id comes out whenever there's a situation The Coward can't handle

Doesn't explain why he handily came out when Fei was unconscious on the Thames(without destroying the Thames itself) but he didn't when Fei was unconscious and got caught in the Kislev border.

>Fuck you he's the Contact, that's how.

Lacann/Grahf isn't the Contact though, he specifically says that when you fight him the last time. Fei is the Contact, Lacann/Grahf is a rogue part of Fei/Abel personality and memories.

>because the circumstances behind him kinda fucked with the reincarnation of memories system.

The game doesn't mention anything about this though, actually, the game doesn't tell anything about the original Lacann splitting into Lacann/Grahf, the only thing mentioned is the original Lacann finding the Zohar and assuming his Grahf persona, how and when the split happened isn't mentioned or explained.

>Because Grahf can't control Fei, he doesn't have possession powers like Myyah.

That's bullshit, he fused with Fei's father and he couldn't do the same with Fei as a child? The very same Grahf that survived for centuries and blasts the shit out of Gears on foot? Yeah, no that's really, really hard to believe.

>Grahf no longer has access to the Wave Existence's full power so he's not capable of destroying Deus

More reason for him to fuse with Fei instead of making him go berserk and hoping for the best, and even worse for him to take the UNDERSTANDING route as he did in the end.

>which for her is good in strengthening the rest for Deus.

This is another plot point which isn't really clear, so basically Deus was waiting for someone like Krelian to come up with nanomachines that would turn humans to their original form as Wels? Sounds kinda bullshit, if he created them he should have at least programmed the Gazel to do that ASAP instead of resetting humanity over and over and losing time and resources for a silly survival of the fittest.
Also, why kill Zeboim era Abel?
>>
>>14232290
>Also, why kill Zeboim era Abel?

He wasn't using the nanomachines for the sake of Deus, he was hiding them away to create his daughter.
>>
what do the samurai know?
>>
>>14232336
>and then I was a massive faggot and told them how to make their game!
great story
really makes you look cool, bro
>>
>>14232290
>That's bullshit, he fused with Fei's father and he couldn't do the same with Fei as a child?

The game literally never explains how he was able to do it with Khan the first time. From what we can tell he WAS going to fuse with Fei, but Fei accidentally near killed him and Khan, so he went with Khan instead. For whatever reason, he can't leave the body he's currently in. Don't ask me why, I didn't write it.

>The very same Grahf that survived for centuries and blasts the shit out of Gears on foot? Yeah, no that's really, really hard to believe.

I don't know what to tell you aside from the fact that yes, that's what happens. You can disagree with it, but that's the plot.
>>
>>14232336
White people really ruin everything

Or jews or whatever. I don't know, you all look white to me.
>>
File: 1410815063214.jpg (82 KB, 703x729) Image search: [Google]
1410815063214.jpg
82 KB, 703x729
>miang's conniving ways hides itself in every woman on the planet

So, just like reality?
>>
File: white ppl.jpg (78 KB, 634x525) Image search: [Google]
white ppl.jpg
78 KB, 634x525
>>14232362
>you all look white to me
>>
>>14232336
>we might offend THE JEWS if we call it Yahweh!

Ah, the 90's. When everyone was afraid of pissing off religious groups.

20 years later and we're now just afraid of pissing off special snowflakes. And Muslims.

But at least now people can appreciate the whole entire point of killing/dismissing the Demiurge for being a falsehood, right?

Eeeehhhh...
>>
>>14232336
It wasnt really even a jewish thing. Like >>14232378 said, in the 90s everyone was afraid of making religious groups angry. Look what happened in the localization of Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>14232413
Yahweh does have a bit of srsbsns connotation to the Jewish faith though, as I recall from years wasted in jewschool.

But this was back when I was a little snot. Also the curriculum was dildos anyway so I'm sure some goy off the streets would be more knowledgeable about it than me
>>
>>14232422

Well I mean I'm not jewish, but I was raised Catholic and they kinda made a big deal out of blasphemy.
>>
>>14232349
>For whatever reason, he can't leave the body he's currently in.
No one in Xenogears is capable of suicide.
>>
>>14232640
The Jewish reaction tends to be rather subdued from my experience.

I think you need a highly enfranchised group of blackhats for them to truly vocalize that they're offended at how God has become a tangible being, an idol mockery of the One True and all that shit.

But the way things were? Good job, you merely lost a few hundred sales because MUH BELIEFS.
>>
>>14232349
Because Fei isn't strong enough to kill god yet. Grahf took Id out to blow up monstergirl land for training purposes, and when Wiseman shows up to save his son and after the battle happens, Wiseman puts his son in a safe place before Grahf can take over and track him down.
>>
>>14232332
Because Zeboim era humans were badly fucked up and aren't good Deus food. so Myung nukes everybody to start over, nanomachines are just a red herring.
>>
>>14232785

Actually she helped his nanomachine research because she thought it would fix the genetic damage to the Zeboim era.
>>
>>14232721

It wasn't because of sales, it's because religions groups back then had the overreactionary, "ban everything that offends us" attitude that people on the internet associate with SJWs nowadays. And no one wants that bad press unless they're banking on it.
>>
>>14227971
>people on /m/
>capable of having constructive discussions
Since when.
>>
File: 1441060768101.jpg (188 KB, 569x571) Image search: [Google]
1441060768101.jpg
188 KB, 569x571
>Xenogears Thread on /m/
>Come in expecting discussion of the game and it's mecha
>"XENOGEARS SUX BUTT AND IS A RIP OFF OF EVERY ANIME AND BOOK EVER"
>"XENOBLADE'S BETTER"
>"LOL FAGS DICK 2 IS SHIT"
>"LIKING XENOGEARS IS A MEME"
>"I DON'T KNOW WHAT AN HOMAGE IS"
>>
>>14222729
This is how I imagine weltall id bursting out of the yggdrasil and no one saying shit about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUb66jUJIhY
>>
>>14232933
There is a very fine line between homage and ripoff
>>
is the game really just another cookie cutter 'let's kill god' jrpg or is it actually more than that.

I honestly can't tell from this thread or from the people I've asked irl when talking about gears. I've been on the fence when it comes to playing th egame, but I don't want to waste time with an rpg if the story is just another 'deity is evil go kill it' story.
>>
>>14233224
Gears is very different from other JRPGs about killing God. Not all of these differences are good ones.

If you're on the fence, play a bit of it. If you find yourself thinking "oh, this sucks", it's probably not going to get any better for you.
>>
>>14233224
It is just that. If that kind of thing isn't your cup of tea, don't even bother trying.
>>
>>14233224
If you meet god, kill god, for it is not truly god.
>>
>>14233186

It's not a ripoff when the director acknowledges that he really, REALLY loves G Gundam.
>>
>>14233224

God is kind of a side-thing until near the end. It's about a war mostly, though you aren't taking part in the war so much as you are fucking with the benefactors of one of the sides in the war.
>>
>>14233323
Acknowledging whether you do or don't like something doesn't make it less likely to be a ripoff. If anything, it increases the likeliness significantly.
>>
>>14232363

what the Suessian fuck am I looking at?
>>
>>14233336

Generally the difference between homage and ripoff intent and affection towards the thing in question.
>>
>>14233527
are intent*
>>
>>14232933
>xenoblade
>good
Well there was your first big red flag to disregard those with shit tastes.
>>
>>14232362
>White people really ruin everything

No, people who are worried about offending other people ruin everything.
>>
>>14233527

No the difference is what new spins or direction you take it in. An homage should only serve as a starting point for you to spring board a new idea off of.

even if you LOVE the original unless you put your own flavor on it someway it's still a ripoff
>>
>>14233323
Having not seen G Gundam, what did it take from it?
>>
>>14233746

The very very very ending, after Fei and Elly reunite.

Also Grahf is explicitly based on Master Asia in mannerism, though he's actually evil instead of just well-intentioned.
>>
>>14233641
>>14233336
>>14233186
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness" ~ Oscar Wilde
>>
>>14233224
The whole let's kill God thing is just a premise, you don't end up killing God, actually, you help whatever is closest to the idea of God near the end, the god of the game is actually a powerful alien superweapon fueled by using the actual God as an infinite energy source.

So yeah, it's a figurative "let's kill God", though the whole game takes it pretty seriously all the same.

>>14233746
Both the protagonist Fei and his rival/nemesis Grahf are martial artist, Grahf is literally Master Asia, but actually evil, with a pseudo Darth Vader costume and voiced by Mugihito.

To be honest more than just G-Gundam, the whole game has a lot of Imagawa references, with the whole Seibzehn/Achtzehn storyline being basically a Giant Robo ripoff but without Big Fire and the UPO, and of course, it also rips off Evangelion, especially when it comes to casually using jewish/christian symbology because it looks cool.
>>
>>14234175
>is just a premise, you don't end up killing God, actually, you help whatever is closest to the idea of God near the end, the god of the game is actually a powerful alien superweapon fueled by using the actual God as an infinite energy source.

Actually, we humans made Deus. When the Galactic Federation made Deus, they imprisoned said God, the Wave Existance, and turned Him into a power core. When Deus gained sentience and revolted, the Federation attempted to imprison Deus somewhere, while using the Eldridge, a recently launched colony ship, as its transport, but Deus hijacked it and it led to the ship crashing into an unknown planet. For its master plan of rebuilding itself, it made a human woman. That human was the first Miang.

Also, everyone in the game are humans Deus made as spare parts to help rebuild itself. The only survivor of the Eldridge was a kid named Abel, who's the guy the Wave Existance needed to free Him from the weapon. To assist Abel, who longed for a mother figure, said God generated Elhaym.

When Abel grew up, he tried opposing Emperor Cain and the Gazel Ministry, whom Deus created before creating everyone else that will populate the planet as spare parts. Cain tried to kill Abel, but Elhyam, whom Abel nicknamed "Elly", took the energy beam Cain hurled for him, with her last words being "Abel... ! Live... !"
>>
>>14234852
>When the Galactic Federation made Deus, they imprisoned said God, the Wave Existance, and turned Him into a power core.

No, we didn't do that part on purpose. Deus's core found the Wave Existence on its own and pulled it into our universe so it could have a suitable power source.
>>
>>14235150

My bad. Forgot about that bit.
>>
File: shin-megami-tensei-iv-final2.jpg (443 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
shin-megami-tensei-iv-final2.jpg
443 KB, 1200x675
>>14232336
Won't stop pic related from doing it this summer tho
>>
>>14235281

Keep in mind that it took a really long time for SMT proper to come to the states. Other than Jack Bros, I don't think we got anything in the series until the PS2 era.
>>
>>14216624
>>brought up specifically in such a way that he would always have an inferiority complex
He really is one of the few characters who were taught wrong as a joke
>>
>>14232933
Except for the fact that /v/ has been shitting on every Xeno game after Monolith started releasing their games on the nintendo consoles, so if you see a Xeno thread get overrun with shitposts you can rest assured that its the /v/ermings who destroyed our board just acting like they are known to act
>>
>>14235351

Someone should make a Krelian edit with " We cloned him wrong, as a joke!"

>>14235389
I thought /v/ was riding the Xeno gravy train since the Wii, but admittedly it was years ago, did they make the usual 180° turn and now say they never liked Xenoblade either?
>>
>>14235400
>I thought /v/ was riding the Xeno gravy train since the Wii, but admittedly it was years ago, did they make the usual 180° turn and now say they never liked Xenoblade either?
Of course, why don't you make a thread on /v/ right now and see how much hate there will be for any and every Xeno game and since the /v/ users also mainly come to /m/ for some bizarre reason they also shit on any and every Xeno thread we have
>>
>>14235451
Eh, figures.
I didn't really like the direction the Xeno series chose since Blade either way, but I'm not too surprised those morons have decided they don't like it anymore.

>why don't you make a thread on /v/
No thanks, I left that place since the great /vg/ schism years ago and I don't really miss either of those.

So in case you see someone here criticizing the Blade games, that might be me, though I try not to be an asshole about it.
>>
>>14235307

Didn't a few of the Devil Children titles make it over?
>>
>>14223429
You're obnoxious.
>>
>>14216899
Nasuverse is its own universe.
>>
>>14235307
Persona 1 was the actual first smt game to hit the states
>>
>>14237907
I kinda hope that 5 gives you a silly looking starting Persona so I don't get annoyed it can't keep up despite being so cool, or even better makes you a normal major arcans like your party members and you can't have a hundred Personas
>>
>>14241360
Never. It's just like the protagonists in these games will keep getting to pick their stat growth even though that's broken as fuck.
>>
>>14241422
I'm just so disappointed in Izanagi.
>>
>>14241360

Sorry man. Arsene looks pretty cool.

Though if they keep the skill card system from Golden, pretty much any Persona can be made super powerful.
>>
>>14208437
Fuck.I need to pick it up .I left playing affter grinding for 1 ether doubler for a long time before i enter that city.
>>
>>14232332

Miang sponsored Kim's nanomachine research in order to turn the genetically defective people of the Zeboim era into suitable spare parts for Deus. Kim found out that Miang was scheming and decided to defect to Ravine, an anti-government rebel group. Miang tried to steal Kim's research, but he and Elly sealed it (Emeralda) away for all eternity. Seeing the nanomachine tech as a lost cause, Miang decided to proceed with her original plan of wiping away the defective humans using Zeboim's nuclear weapons.

>>14235150

The Wave Existence got pulled into this universe by accident. The Zohar worked by siphoning power from the Wave Existence's dimension. During one of Deus' activation tests, the Zohar managed to pull in the Wave Existence while it was drawing power from the higher dimension. It was an unintended event that managed to make Deus more powerful.
>>
>>14237907

Don't start, we both know what I mean when I saw SMT.
>>
>>14242107

You don't need those Ether Doublers until that fight at the mirror anyway
>>
>>14232290

All humans on the planet are genetically programmed to turn into Wels once the Gazel Ministry or Cain uses the Gaetia Key to raise the Eldridge's Mahanon Block (the bridge block where the Raziel supercomputer and Deus' core body is stored) from the bottom of the ocean.

The problem lies on deciding when to turn the entire population into Wels, so that they can be used as suitable raw material for Deus. Zeboim-era humans were sufficient in number, but were genetically defective, so Miang and the Gazel decided that they should be exterminated. The humans from 500 years before the game starts did not have any genetic defects, but a small percentage of them were starting to develop Ether powers. Miang wanted to wait until the majority of the population can make use of Ether, so that Deus can also make use of it. On the other hand, the Gazel Ministry was impatient and wanted to revive Deus immediately. They hand over Miang to Shevat so that they can revive Deus, but Miang gains the upper hand on them by manipulating Lacan into activating Deus' Diabolos Corps, which wipes out 90+% of the world population again. By the time the game starts, all humans can use Ether, making them ideal parts for Deus, but they are insufficient in number. Miang and Krelian compensate for the lack of humans by making use of nanomachines. Aside from compensating for the lack of parts, the nanomachines also gave Deus regenerative abilities that were not part of its original specifications.

Also, you are forgetting that Deus and Miang are immortal programs. Time is of no concern to them, which is why even if Krelian didn't appear with Kim's nanomachines, they would've been willing to wait another couple hundred years in order to grow the human population to a sufficient number. They've been doing it for the last 10,000 years, after all.
>>
>>14232290

>>That's bullshit, he fused with Fei's father and he couldn't do the same with Fei as a child? The very same Grahf that >>survived for centuries and blasts the shit out of Gears on foot? Yeah, no that's really, really hard to believe.

A recurrent theme in the game is willpower. Miang's possession ability has been absolute for the last 9900+ years , yet Fei's mother was able to override Miang's will at the very last moment and save Fei. Khan himself is able to override Grahf from time to time and appear as Wiseman. Grahf mentions that his plan is to possess Fei's body, but we don't actually know if he would've been able to, seeing as how he himself is just a fragment of Lacan.
>>
File: 1463446328476.gif (470 KB, 270x180) Image search: [Google]
1463446328476.gif
470 KB, 270x180
>>14237907
NO DON'T YOU DARE FUCKING START

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT FUCKING P3/4 FAGS
>>
>>14242899
The scum of the earth.
>>
File: 1456289917378.jpg (12 KB, 201x199) Image search: [Google]
1456289917378.jpg
12 KB, 201x199
>>14242920
>Get kinda hyped from P5 mostly due to seeing the bosses and getting a P2 vibe.
>"LOL DUDE WAIFUS"
God fucking damn it.
>>
Remake when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doTOirGnbsA
>>
>>14242364
>Miang's possession ability

It's not really even possession when you get down to it. Since Miang's true form is just mitochondrial dna since she's the mitochondrial Eve, she has genetic access to every woman on the planet (except Emeralda, and thank god for that because then she'd have access to an immortal, shapeshifting nanomachine body). It's less possession and more of rewriting the genetic programming.
>>
>>14242942

He'd have to come back to Square for it since they still own Gears.

Which isn't impossible. If Kamiya is willing to work with Capcom again for certain games, anything is possible.
>>
File: xenogears_art_by_moenorman.jpg (180 KB, 594x918) Image search: [Google]
xenogears_art_by_moenorman.jpg
180 KB, 594x918
They used Xenogears for a crossover with a literally who online game recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMHRWrVMJRA
>>
>>14243770
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/24/square-enix-reveals-xenogears-machines-mecha-shooter-figureheads/
>>
>>14243770

It's not a crossover, they're just cameos that you can use as units. It's not really that unusual, Square likes to do that in lots of games.
>>
>>14208437
>STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE GODS
>>
>>14217507
western shit
>>
>>14232933
sorry but /m/ is infested with crossboarders
>>
>>14233313
nah fuck your religion
>>
>>14243719
What games did he work with Capcom after he left?
>>
>>14243802
Its shake the heavens
>>
>>14208437
I FUCKING hate those thick, ugly fucking back fins.

Remove those and leave the two sleek wing binders and it looks clutch as fuck.
>>
>>14244606
Those you want removed are the actual wing binders, the thin ones are just extra parts it needs when it activates its true form
>>
>>14244606
Fuck off /v/
>>
>>14244288

He hasn't yet, but he said he would help with games if they asked him to.

With one exception, RE2 remake. To him that was something he personally put himself into, and he doesn't want to taint a remake with his bias. He said he very much wants to play REmake 2, but he wants to be disconnected from its production process to see how their vision of the game differs from what his was.
>>
>>14245754
Well I guess now that Inafune is out he doesn't hold anything against them
>>
>>14220332
>Uncharted
Heihachi was in PSAll Stars along with Nathan Drake.
>>
>>14244606

Then you want Weltall 2. The backpack is actually just where it stores the extra armor parts for Weltall Id.

Weltall 2 just builds all those parts into the frame from the start.
>>
>>14243779

It's just surprising because it's Xenogears, something Square seemed to forget all about.

They even brought back the original VA cast to record dialogue even though most of them barely had any lines in the original game, and Midorikawa literally forgot all about ever working on the game until it was brought up, and he still couldn't remember a damn thing about Fei despite that.
>>
>>14246046
That wad hilarious

"What do you think of Xenogears?"
"Oh I've heard of it since it's pretty famous but I'm not very familiar with it."
"But you played the main character"
"I did!?"
>>
>>14245024
DADDY!
>>
>>14246046

If they forgot about it they never would have bothered to put it up on PSN.

Hell, Square still remembers they made Live A Live because they celebrated its 20th anniversary.
>>
File: laughter.jpg (173 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
laughter.jpg
173 KB, 1920x1440
>>14246091
Holy shit
>>
>>14220607
>It been established that every canon is part of Demonbane canon, and that Demonbane is real.
Where?
>>
>>14208437
>You know, "killing God" is not the reason I would choose for building a giant robot
I beg to differ
>>
>>14246121
>>14245024
>>
File: Arsene.png (1008 KB, 1524x1473) Image search: [Google]
Arsene.png
1008 KB, 1524x1473
>>14241360
This is your starter in P5.
>>
>>14245024
>>
File: 1397787135630.jpg (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1397787135630.jpg
27 KB, 200x200
>>14226357
>then why even argue at all. You're allowed to quietly like things.
>I can say I don't like something but nobody is allowed to say they do

Are you actually reading the words you're typing? If it really meant that little to you you wouldn't take the time to reply.
>>
>>14216739
An ambitious idea does not always lead to good execution - and that's pretty where 99% of Xenogears' flaws lie. As a game, it gets beaten out by earlier Squaresoft titles in terms of battle systems, dungeon designs, side quests, and even quality of life features like sorting inventories and not taking a century to save. As a story, it has loads of neat ideas, but they're held down by awful pacing and presentation - especially if you factor in the English localization, which was all kinds of shoddy (can't blame Richard Honeywood, though - the shear amount of religious, mythological, and scientific terms thrown around in the game is insane). By the time you get to the second disc, half of the playable cast doesn't matter, most important world-changing events happen off screen and get told to you in scenes of people sitting on chairs, and all your left with in the gameplay department are a bunch of lame boss fights and tedious dungeons.
>>
Why does everyone seem to dislike XG's battle system? I thought it was the best thing about the game.
>>
>>14248164
While the deathblows and deathblow combos look cool there isn't any depth to it until like 95% of the game is over when you finally unlock the last deathblows, which is something you actually have to go out of your way to do and can easily miss entirely.

Up until that point all you do is use your best deathblow over and over every turn, but after you unlock them you get different deathblows with elemental damage so you've finally got about as much depth as the 5 hour mark in a typical final fantasy 40 hours into xenogears.

That and the encounter rate in the game in insanely high so it wears out its welcome very quickly, and gears never reach any sort of depth and the only gear fight that isn't just spamming your best attacks every turn is the first Deus fight which is rather clever the first time you do it.
>>
>>14248164
Cause it's shallow as all hell. Like honestly, when did you ever deviate from the strategy of spamming your best Deathblow and healing every now and then? Cause like, I can only recall a few boss fights here and there amongst the hundreds of random battles you'll likely run into.
>>
>>14245754
Kamiya is a weird man.

I mean he makes an excellent note about letting REmake2 be someone else's baby rather than just being Kamiya rehash, but look at how Mikami evolved RE into REmake. While in one sense REmake is the definitive vision of ResEvil1, it's also a showcase of Mikami's evolution in game design style, mechanically rich for what is otherwise an adventure game with combat features.

Maybe some of us want to have a game that lets us immediately compare Kamiya then and now, rather than spiritual successor titles.

But I get why Kamiya doesn't want that. It'd fail to meaningfully advance the nature of ResEvil2, which is already a very solid title even today.
>>
>>14248231
RE didn't really evolve that much. I mean, it was already the last gasp of a woefully dated formula established by Alone in the Dark back in 1992. I'm surprised it managed to last until 2003. It's clunky as all hell.
>>
>>14248197
>>14248195

Because I like battle systems that are about inputs instead of just pressing attack. Yes it's not Tales Of battle system which I wish all jrpgs evolved to, but I like it.
>>
>>14248256
REmake has a lot of very good design to it though. The first new area of the mansion is a well designed tutorial section teaching the player about the rules of play and the quirks of survival horror without being an explicit tutorial segment, followed by giving you a pretty straightforward objective in collecting the death masks before giving you the sword key and opening up the mansion for exploration. The Crimsonhead system helps to encourage thoughtful navigation instead of just killing everything you see, the mansion layout is modified to prey on strategies used in the original game, aiming downward is actually incentivized by treating blown out kneecaps as equal to headshots, Jill and Chris are no longer difficulty modifiers but in fact legitimate playstyle choices (Chris has a major edge in being able to carry the fuel canteen at 1/6 cost of inventory space vs Jill needing 1/4 of hers to carry the canteen and the lighter if she doesn't have the grenade launcher and flame rounds on hand, for example)...

Sure it's clunky, but there's a good deal of crunch and clever planning to it that really brings it into a modern era. The only real remaining jank ends up being the knife being useless as it often is, and the fuel tank run where running blows you up.

It's a shame they never implemented the dedicated knife button that Deadly Silence had into REmake HD, that was a quality of life upgrade that made the knife great for once in a RE1.
>>
>>14248309
>Because I like battle systems that are about inputs instead of just pressing attack. Yes it's not Tales Of battle system which I wish all jrpgs evolved to, but I like it.
What's wrong with menu browsing? The whole appeal of turn-based JRPGs is that they have encounter systems which have more of a strategy game vibe than that of an action game. Take that away and you basically have a an action-adventure game with stats, equipment, and maybe some kind of upgrade system; and those kinds of games are ubiquitous nowadays. Also, Tales is super mediocre, bro. There's way bigger fish in the sea.

>>14248358
It's definitely a great game and a massive improvement over OG RE1, but most of the improvement lie with quality of life upgrades and benefits of more powerful hardware. The basic premise of the games was essentially identical until RE4 shook things up for better or worse.
>>
>>14248446
>Also, Tales is super mediocre, bro.

In storytelling. If you think Vesperia doesn't have a complex combo system, go look up OmegaEvolution.
>>
>>14248446
>The basic premise of the games was essentially identical until RE4
Not true. RE1 and 2 are similar, but 3 was extremely different since the entire game was built around running away.
>>
>>14248462
>If you think Vesperia doesn't have a complex combo system, go look up OmegaEvolution.
Since when does being able to pull off DMC-style combo chains constitute a good RPG battle system? Again, the whole point is that they're not action games, not strategy games. If you're gonna have combos and such, then implement them in a way that's similar to a game like Radiant Historia, where turn-based combat isn't thrown out in favor of action game mechanics. Or, if you MUST deviate from simple menu browsing in some fashion, you can include mechanics similar to those of older Paper Mario games.

>14248475
The plot premise may be different, but everything else is mostly the same, with the exceptions of ammo crafting (which was dumb as hell) and Nemesis (who went from being scary to be super annoying really fast). It's probably one of my least favorite of the classic REs. Too many lame ideas shoehorned into it.
>>
>>14248520
*they're not action game, they're strategy games
Bleh. My bad.
>>
>>14248475
2 was also an action packed killfest relative to 1's resource management puzzle. A damn good action killfest, but you're given a lot of incentive to mow things down in 2 whereas by the time REmake rolled out 1 has clearly taken claim of "fighting is a last resort, don't rely on it" as a game identity.

And I think it's those different styles (admittedly also brought about by the tech of the times, as improvements in the engine allowed for RE2 to have a greater model count), that's at the heart of the comment from Kamiya.
>>
>>14248520
>Since when does being able to pull off DMC-style combo chains constitute a good RPG battle system?

When does that not constitute the BEST battle system in anything?
>>
>>14248520
>rpgs have to be turn-based
By that logic Neverwinter Nights and KotoR weren't RPGs. Yeah "rounds" existed, but they were essentially invisible and the game just ran off a timer you couldn't see.
>>
>>14248570
I meant to say traditional JRPG battle system. Don't get me wrong, I like real-time and action RPGs, but I'm just kind of tired of people saying that turn-based combat is completely the hill and should be replaced by action mechanics.
>>
>>14248591

I didn't say turn-based is unncesary, I just prefer games that do something different.
>>
>>14247623
Motherfucker. He looks awesome. Pity I'm gonna have to replace him with a goofy looking pissant by level 5 or 10.
>>
>>14248655

If they have the skill card system still in place then towards the end of the game you can recreate him with all kinds of useful skills.
>>
>>14242100
Or if they did upgrades like P1 and P2
>>
>>14208437
>No model kit
Should be a crime.
>>
>>14249660

Did any of the XG models get kits?
>>
>>14249795

Nope.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.