[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /m/. Are there any Gamera movies that are remotely decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Gamera.jpg (109 KB, 500x710) Image search: [Google]
Gamera.jpg
109 KB, 500x710
Sup /m/. Are there any Gamera movies that are remotely decent dubbed? I have a young relative (three years old) who I'd love to give a stuffed Gamera toy and a Gamera movie as a kind of intro to Kaiju films, since he already thinks turtles are awesome, and since Gamera has that whole "friend to children" thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>>14202067

Show him Gamera The Brave. My nephew loved it. The Kaneko films are a bit too dark and scary for some kids, though. My nephew digs it because he loves giant monsters and watched all of the Godzilla heisei movies, even the slow moving ones, but my niece was scared to death by the Gyaos scenes.
>>
He's 3, he likely doesn't care if a dub is shit or not.
Anyway, I'd say showing him the MST3K versions of the Showa Gamera movies are a good way to go, so you can clue him in on the fact that giant monsters are pretty silly but also a lot of fun.
>>
>>14202067
The 90s Gamera films are fine dubbed. They were dubbed by adv, if that still means anything anymore?
>>
>>14202095
Don't show those to a three year old.
>>
>>14202095
Yeah, they're good movies but they're really violent and frightening. I'd consider it if this relative was like 6 or 7 but at 3 he's just gonna be traumatized.

The older ones are not very good, but to a three year old they might be enjoyable.
>>
>>14203286
>not enjoyable
Not true Baragon is a great movie. Have you only seen the Sandy Frank cuts? I got a complete (not including Gamera the Brave) 11 disc pack and they're restored and subbed. Some of them are a little kid-centered and goofy but they're still fun. Don't assume everyone shares your taste.
>>
>>14202080
Is Gamera the Brave dubbed? My kids would dig it for sure.

The Showa films have good dubs, too.
>>
>>14204634
Were any of the Showa ones any good? All I remember is laughing at how bad they seemed when I was a kid watching MST3K poke fun at them. But if any of them are decent enough that I could enjoy watching them with the kid, they'd probably be less scary for him since he's little.
>>
>>14206164
They're mixed bag. The Comedy Central version of MST takes a hatchet to them, especially the monster fight content, so it's tough to evaluate them from those. The KTMA version cut the movies less at least.
I can't guarantee it's worth it for most to get the LDs of the dub, but I'm glad I have mine
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.