[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taicho in Gundam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Who is the better translation for taicho (隊長), commanding officer or captain?
In LWC appears this range, although the english translator translated it as captain...
>>
When I see the japanese page, it seems that all this dialogue:
Why do you all call me "captain"? I'm a second lieutenant.
Captain, chief, whatever. You're the bossman here.

are invented by the tranlastor, I don't see the kanjis of second lieutenant and captain.
>>
>>14198329
appears this rank,*
Sorry...
>>
>>14198329

Captain is shorter, snappier and will sound more natural in regular conversation because of it. I can't imagine Lalah calling Char Commanding Officer as a nickname for instance.

It does depend on context though, and I'm sure some uses would favor commanding officer.
>>
>>14198334
That's because it's not there. It's only in the English page.
>>
It can be the literal rank, either Captain (Army, AF) or Lieutenant/Leftenant (Navy). It can also be used informally to refer to your CO (Lewis does it in Igloo 2 when Barberry's official rank is Army Lieutenant/Leftenant).

But mainly it comes down to how competent the translator is at reading context and paying attention, if the character's rank is already established by a visible rank insignia or dialog there's no excuse for fucking up.
>>
Isn't there some jibberjabber about naval rank name vs srmy rank name and the way different militaries handle them?
>>
>>14198329

Historical reenactor here. Taicho is not a rank, it is just "unit leader", so it's applied to whomever is in charge locally regardless of his rank. Other non-rank titles follow this convention i.e. Sanbocho (Chief of Staff) or Hancho (squad leader of a small squad).

The "tai" here is just "unit" like a military unit. A lot of people use "captain" because it's easier, especially when dubbing anime into english.

Naval equivalents using "Kancho" (replace "tai" - unit - with "kan" - vessel) are awkward though because the more correct term is "Skipper" - usually an officer who outranks him would be on board like the rear- or vice- admiral to the fleet if the ship in question is an important one.

>>14198400
Wrong. Captain is either Taii (Army) or Daii (Navy), 1st Lt. is Chui and 2nd Lt. is Shoi.

Hopefully my autism was useful for y'all today.
>>
>>14198383
Or rather, that's because the translator decided to put that invented sentences for some undetermined reason.
>>
>>14199783
Would "sir" also be appropriate depending on context, then?
>>
>>14198329
>>14198334

The whole "why do you call me captain? I'm a second lieutenant. anyway"

Is a completely new and unnecessary addition in the English translation, there is no such phrase in the RAWs.
>>
>>14199783

Your autism has failed you.

Taisa is the naval rank for Captain.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.