[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys always go on about how there's no such thing as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: idea man.jpg (21 KB, 425x292) Image search: [Google]
idea man.jpg
21 KB, 425x292
You guys always go on about how there's no such thing as realistic mecha, so I want you to exercise your creativity here. Can you come up with a scenario in which the usage the usage of mechs is both viable and practical? It doesn't matter how contrived the conditions are, it's all hypothetical.
>>
>>14193783
No because that's boring
>>
>>14193783
The one in which they are gigantic novelty sex toys
>>
File: 110727121555_1_900x600.jpg (41 KB, 454x600) Image search: [Google]
110727121555_1_900x600.jpg
41 KB, 454x600
>>14193783

Neural interface control requires the machine to be shaped like, and move like, the human body. If you want a neural-control vehicle, it has to be human-shaped.

Want an animal-shaped vehicle? Better have it be controlled by an animal.
>>
>>14193783

Entertainment in a future in which the technology to create them is cheap.
>>
>>14193793

Not to say that that's not viable or impractical, but that shit is a personal peeve of mine because neural-control necessitating the human form is a complete fallacy. I don't even think there are any shows that use it, but there's definitely people who think it's true.
>>
>>14193783
A group of miners in space use mecha to mine shit
One day they rebel and the mecha are all they have.

Bam.
>>
>>14193793
>Want an animal-shaped vehicle? Better have it be controlled by an animal.
Oh, yes.
>>
File: yep magic.jpg (55 KB, 360x239) Image search: [Google]
yep magic.jpg
55 KB, 360x239
>>14193793
>Neural interface control requires the machine to be shaped like, and move like, the human body. If you want a neural-control vehicle, it has to be human-shaped.

Could you explain - in your own words - how neutral interface systems work?
>>
>>14193793
Have an idea similar to this:

Mechs are and can only be controlled by individuals with telekinetic abilities. They aren't even able to move without the pilot being at least mildly telekinetic. They have systems throughout their bodies based on the human nervous system that amplify such psychic powers, requiring a more humanoid form to properly utilize such abilities.

This allows such mechs to be made more durable, able to hold more armaments, and able to give a legitimate battlefield advantage (heavily armored weapons platforms that can fly, flip tanks, or kill a yak from 200 yards away). They'd be exceptionally rare, not exceptionally tall (like maybe around 5 to 10 meters), and exceptionally dangerous. Most importantly they would require comparatively much less fuel than conventional vehicles, because the things are moving on amplified telekinetic power. A squad of around 7 - 12 of the things would be a nightmare on the battlefield.

It's not "realistic," but it's viable.
>>
Must it all be giant sized mecha?
In a transhuman world where people become cyborgs, would that be viable and practical mecha scenario?
>>
>>14193793
But I can make a plastic ball float up and down with my brain right now in real life, and my body isn't shaped like an electric fan.
>>
the only realistic way mechas can be used is for construction purposes.
>>
>>14194512
Why would you make a giant human for digging and moving shit when backhoes, bulldozers, and cranes already exist and are much safer and cheaper?
>>
>>14194520
I'd rather have a gigantic humanoid with gyroscopic balance and massive hands with fingers build the next Burj Khalifa than a shitty crane.
>>
>>14193794
This is the most valid answer I've seen yet.

Giant robots aren't at all practical, but they're really fucking cool. Using them for competitive sports is the most logical place to see them.
>>
>>14193783
Undersea construction which is then jury-rigged into defense against a band of pirates.
>>
File: walter_mueller_ploader01.jpg (131 KB, 852x878) Image search: [Google]
walter_mueller_ploader01.jpg
131 KB, 852x878
>>
>>14193783
Reptillian invasion
>>
>>14193783
>Can you come up with a scenario in which the usage the usage of mechs is both viable and practical?
Why would I want to?

The reason we say they aren't realistic is because they aren't.

Go back to /k/ and get laughed out of there again.
>>
Mecha are a spiritual thing utilised by a technochurch or something. They embody humanity and connect us to the gods whose image we were made in.
>>
>>14194795
I always wanted a mecha series entirely based on underwater combat, It would be super scary In a ton of way. Like when your cockpit gets penetrated from somewhere and water starts flooding the cockpit. Or even worse when the pressure (Because of the depth that you would be at) is so much that when your cockpit gets penetrated you get crushed by it super painfully.
>>
>>14195196
>It's the obligatory deep sea re-entry episode
>>
>>14195183
Sign me up for that in a fantasy setting.

>>14195196
Utilizing beam bursts as short-ranged melee attacks for supercavitation would be scary, you could dodge and still be in danger. Would be pretty cool if they actually treated underwater like water and not just blue space. Not perfectly accurate but about the same as they treat space realism.

>>14195218
>travelling from Challenger's Deep to Atlantis
>spend 16 episodes above water
sugoi
>>
>>14193783
Sex robots sold to NEETs.
>>
>>14195234
My god I just had a terrible, horrifying idea, what if one of the episodes a character gets a breach in the bottom of his mech and the guys who are with him are trying to save him as the water rises and the pressure starts slowly crushing his legs and shit as it moves upwards towards his torso all the while hes screaming and crying out in pain over radio for them to save him while the cockpit fills up with muddy red water from all the blood.

Imagine if this was a character people actually liked.
>>
>>14195254
I don't think that's how a breach works. However, this is what it would sound like. Imagine listening as your servos and motors slowly crumple up as you wait for that tiny leak in the bottom to expand, water spraying in at incredible force and filling up. Even though the water isn't crushing you yet, the air is heated up by the rising pressure. You can barely breathe, your MS can't move, your radio's dead and you have no idea if help is close enough to save you, or if they risked coming at all.

https://sendvid.com/nqyhcce9
>>
>>14195304
In some ways I really do think that the Deep Sea is scarier than space.
>>
>>14195176
You seem to have some problems with reading comprehension. No one is arguing they ARE realistic, just coming up with hypothetical scenarios where they could be. You know, for fun, this crazy thing that non-aspies have sometimes.
>>
>>14195393
>You seem to have some problems with reading comprehension
No, I'm just not interested in partaking in a waste of time.

This isn't fun, either.
>>
>>14195404
>No, I'm just not interested in partaking in a waste of time.
He says, in the giant robot chinese cartoon board.

Where his posting consists of going to threads he's NOT interested in to announce this fact. All very productive.
>>
>>14195331
On Europa, you can get the worst of both worlds! Including possibly life under the water!
>>
>>14193794
I would watch full scale robot wars
>>
>>14195590
>2XXX
>the flipper is still the most powerful weapon
>>
File: BAA03_54_Alita_wins_4th_race.jpg (69 KB, 339x379) Image search: [Google]
BAA03_54_Alita_wins_4th_race.jpg
69 KB, 339x379
To control the robot, you have to be the robot.
Install your brain in it.
>>
After watching us for centuries, an alien race attacks Earth. This race knows every detail about our military technology, and is perfectly trained to destroy any kind of tank, jet, battleship, etc. on the planet.

Therefore, to confuse and defeat them, we develop weapons with radically different shapes, armaments, and color schemes:

SUUPAAH ROBOTTOO
>>
>>14195643
>This race knows every detail about our military technology, and is perfectly trained to destroy any kind of tank, jet, battleship, etc. on the planet
We know how to destroy all of those perfectly too, but there's a reason we still use them.
>>
>>14193793
I had an idea for an womb like system that uses biological material as a template for large scale machines. This makes them REALLY CHEAP to design and produce, but limits what form the end product can take and what sorts of equipment they can use.
I was thinking this idea would work for a MOTW show.
>>
>>14195713
I doubt gene (?) manipulation is that cheap and gestation time would be an issue. Cool concept though, just handwave it with some future words and you have a horrifying army of biomechanical abominations to instill fear and suffering into the hearts and minds of your enemies and allies alike.

Like they always say, "If you aren't us, you're either against us now or against us later."
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.