[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Macross: Do You Remember Love, the most well animated mecha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9
Is Macross: Do You Remember Love, the most well animated mecha anime ever made?
>>
I felt like it was comparable to gunbuster, but I think gunbuster has better detail.
>>
Patlabor 2
>>
>>14178004
It's up there, but you could have really picked a more impressive scene than that to post.
>>
G-Reco had better animation and looked more beautiful. Dem colors, man.
>>
>>14178020
All I got are shitty Tumblr gifs
>>
No.

But it was probably the most ambitious animated movie of it's time.

Then Akira came out...
>>
>>14178027
Actually, it was tied with Nausicaa. Both basically were considered the birth of a new generation of high-budget anime features that finally deviated from the standard Disney style of older animated features like the White Snake.
>>
The Escaflowne movie had some insane animation
>>
>>14178038
Hell, the series had absurd animation for most of its episodes.
>>
>>14178025
>G-Reco had better animation
lol no it didn't
>>
>>14178053
No, it didn't.
>>
>>14178053
It looked better but it was rarely more "animated", as in moving, than DYRL.
>>
>>14178004
>Is Macross: Do You Remember Love, the most well animated mecha anime ever made?

Ever made ? No.
Top 5 of the 1980s yeah without a doubt.
>>
File: works18.jpg (269 KB, 846x1200) Image search: [Google]
works18.jpg
269 KB, 846x1200
>>14178036
>finally deviated from the standard Disney style of older animated features like the White Snake.

It's really obvious you haven't seen any older features.
>>
>>14178015
Winrar.
>>
>>14178015
/thread
>>
It was incredibly pretty thanks to prime Mikimoto and best Itano, but the animation itself wasn't as impressive as, say, Akira and others from the 80's.
Still, thanks to economy going into the shitter and 3D taking the place of talented animators we'll never see anything like it ever again.
>>
>>14178083
>Top 5 of the 1980s yeah without a doubt.

>Akira
>Honneamise
>Nausicaa
>Laputa
>Robot Carnival
>Patlabor
>Neo Tokyo
>Five Star Stories

Top 10 for sure, but no way in fuck Top 5.
>>
Quo Vadis 2: The story of how Masami Goto and Yasushi Muraki managed to beat Itano Ichiro at his own game.

Shame about that ultra compressed video quality.
>>
>>14178301
>>Five Star Stories

Oh c'mon go fuck yourself a grand total of TEN MINUTES OF ACTUAL ROBOT ANIMATION.
Character aren't even as detailed as characters in DYRL.
If you put Venus Wars there you might have had a point.
>>
>>14178098
>posting a movie that came out only 2 years before DYRL

Thanks for proving my point, dumbass.
>>
File: taiyou.jpg (99 KB, 389x450) Image search: [Google]
taiyou.jpg
99 KB, 389x450
>>14178337
Even 60's anime has very little in common with disney.
>>
>>14178390
>posting the first ever anime film that deviated from Disney
>doesn't mentioned how it was yanked from theaters after a weak and then promptly ignored by everyone, and both Miyazaki and Takahata getting demoted
>doesn't mention how Tezuka soon oversatturated the anime scene with shitty quality TV shows, with the movies being a return to Disney/Russian style
>>
>>14178415
>>14178415
>the movies being a return to Disney/Russian style
Can you give some examples. I haven't watched many 70s japanese animated movies, but I'm quite sure many of them were not in a "disney style" even if they came out before 84.
>>
>>14178475
Look at any of Tezuka's or Rintaro movies from that time period. There are a lot of them, so you can search the whole list yourself. It's a combination of both Disney and Russian animation styles, so don't expect anything like Hols or Nausicaa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptRVmtkA-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zu9JHiYKvE
>>
>>14178538
m8, I wouldn't call this Disney
>>
>>14178563
It's very Russian. And sure as hell doesn't look anything like Hols or modern anime.
>>
File: 10920_1_1.png (204 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
10920_1_1.png
204 KB, 640x360
>>14178415
If you had actually watched any 60's or 70's anime you see that their art style has very little in common with Disney. I'm curious what Disney animations you're even comparing them to.

Yeah, look at this fucking "Disney" art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gR7kyF7Sa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOj-juHGfkQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WkcLMapo_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l703H9vxGMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvzl9ft7Jeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPlNkGnjZ40
>>
>>14178598
It doesn't need to be about singing animals or princesses to be Disney or western style animation of that time. Pay attention to how it's animated and how few shortcuts are taken to the animation. There is very little dynamic or 3D-like movement, and almost no "sakuga" scenes. Everything is animated in a very flat, 2D manner. That was the western style of the time. Hols was revolutionary in that it introduced a more dynamic way of animation- the wolf scene with the swinging boulder is one of the most influential pieces of Japanese animation of all time.
>>
>>14178624
>Everything is animated in a very flat, 2D manner.

That's cool since Disney used rotoscope. Also you keep switching your goalpost when evidence is provided against what you say.
>>
>>14178646
The examples you posted look like Disney animation with the example of the last two. If you can't see how that looks any different than Hols, Nausicaa, or DYRL, you are literally blind. If "moving goalposts" is the best argument you can come up with, then fuck off.

By the way, rotoscoping IS flat as fuck. It is the literal opposite of sakuga, which takes shortcuts to make animation look more dynamic. Are you seriously braindead enough to imply otherwise?
>>
>>14178661
>The examples you posted look like Disney animation with the example of the last two.

Small correction, Belladonna is clearly influenced by surrealist Russian animation. But still, as mentioned before, it looks nothing like anime.
>>
File: 1459576471629.jpg (53 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
1459576471629.jpg
53 KB, 495x495
>>14178661
>you are literally blind. If "moving goalposts

Maybe you should look at your original post and then how you decided a few years prior to Macross doesn't count and then moving onto Russian animation. You are literally retarded.
>>
>>14178036
Your post here implies Macross gave birth to "a new generation of high-budget anime" that "deviated from the standard Disney style.

When presented with a title that predates both (>>14178098) which is one of the many Leiji epics produced during the late 70s and early 80s you resort to insults
>>14178337

Then with more evidence seen here >>14178390
You decide it doesn't count with bullshit that it's the "first ever anime film that deviated from Disney". Even if it were the case it doesn't make your original argument less bullshit.

Another poster provided this >>14178563
and decide it doesn't count because it's apparently "very russian" when your argument was regarding Disney.

Dipshit.
>>
>>14178598
>Tezuka soon oversatturated the anime scene with shitty quality TV shows
I dunno, I thought Mushi's late 60's-bankruptcy TV work got somewhat better on the animation aspect. That said, that was still after Tezuka left the studio so..
>>
>>14178036
Nausicaa is on another level of quality.

Whatch the 1080p version of Nausicaa and Macross.

Nausicaa image is super sharp and the level of detail is huge. While Macross is a huge mess.
>>
>>14181957
I'm pretty sure that Miyazaki himself redrew like a fourth of that movie and it sure as fuck shows. The god warrior scene almost makes me wish Anno did more animation before switching to directing full time.
>>
>>14178004
Not even close.
>>
>>14184918
Nausicaa is.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.