[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sentou Yousei Yukikaze
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: yukikaze.jpg (903 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
yukikaze.jpg
903 KB, 1280x1024
>Get recommended this
>"It's awesome, it has these sick plane fights against aliens!"
>Brokeback Mountain + Top Gun with autism
>>
Read the books, anon.

The books are almost completely different
>>
>>14177072

That amazing bombing run near the end was still fucking cool though, and Yukikaze fighting aliens in Earth's atmosphere was the shit
>>
I never got why people think this is apparently so terrible. It's different from the books, but not bad on its own and not nearly as hard to understand as people make it out to be.
>>
>>14177072
>>14177146
Sufficiently close friendship, indistinguishable from gay, etc.

Anyway OP you really should read the books.
And rewatch the series.

And reread the books while rewatching the series.

And further combinations of the above.
>>
>>14177146
You advice this so he can experience that lovely cliffhanger and can with with us for Unbroken Arrow?
>>14177072
But fights were awesome.
>>
>>14177146
Book 3 never ;_;
>>
File: Yuki.jpg (93 KB, 800x619) Image search: [Google]
Yuki.jpg
93 KB, 800x619
>>14177262
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GubjYtNyosE
We really need to revive /m/'s ysflight server.
>>
File: yukikaze finale.webm (3 MB, 536x400) Image search: [Google]
yukikaze finale.webm
3 MB, 536x400
>>14177072
But there were sick plane fights.
>>
Dat engine testing episode
Dat RAMJET
>>
>>14177072

>Tom Cruise waas going to star in a live action adaptation of this.

Never read the books but what choice things could we have seen? A reminder that Tom always goes all in with his recent projects, he's crazy enough to commission Lockheed to build the Yukikaze's frame 1:1.
>>
books were pretty good

the anime was ok...yea gay, so were the books. the books have their fair share of problems.

I just love how truly alien the JAM are, and the anime has great sound effects
>>
>>14177072
They are men fighting in a war facing death every day anon. Basically in such a situation you are gay full stop.
>>
>>14177701
Whatever happens I'll expect it to be shit so that way if a miracle happens and they pull another EoT I'll be pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>14177072

I have a hard time believing you got recommended this without someone mentioning teh gay
>>
>>14177799

That seems like a defeatist, yet sound approach.
>>
>>14177817
IT
JUST
WORKS
>>
>>14177566
I miss YS Flight in general.

Except for the part where the community turned to shit in the latter days of YSPilots.
>>
>>14177894
I remember that /m/ server was chill place to be. Never went to official community.
With Delta running a temporary server with mecha mods might actually be a good idea. Let's see..
>>
Rei wasn't gay though, he only loved Yukikaze.
>>
GUN RDY
>>
>>14180478
Funny enough, some pronoun fuckery in the official subs unintentionally reinforces that.

Neil Nadelman kinda punted in translating the OVA (WHAT CAN YOU DO, IT'S 2002), but at least the books are comparatively on point.
>>
>>14180454
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GubjYtNyosE
ah yes... back when vfx mod was all the rage , and there were this awesome variable fighter mods that alowed for full functional battroid ( as in you could aim the gun like a turret) .

we should make some sort of dogfighting league or some shit on weekends, if anyone knows how to mute the stall warning in the latest ysflight i´m up to gun down you fuckers anytime!

but now seriously that tune get me mad , and its impossible not to stall while itano circusing or doing a high speed valley run in a valk
>>
I just watched this and thought it was pretty good. I didn't get the ending though.

Did he die?
>>
>>14177299
The cliffhanger was huge but the second book's so good it's really worth it
>>
>>14182247
It's not even that big a cliffhanger.

It's about as much a "the adventure continues" as the first book's ending.
>>
>>14180496
RTB
T
B
>>
>>14177072
I watched this and remember it being hard to follow... I don't remember the gay though.
>>
>>14184937
LONG WAY TO HOME
>>
>>14177197
Homophobia.
>>
>>14184953
[whistling intensifies]
>>
File: YU_KI_KA_ZE_by_medisc.jpg (379 KB, 821x500) Image search: [Google]
YU_KI_KA_ZE_by_medisc.jpg
379 KB, 821x500
>>14184937
>>14184953
>>14184967
I got chu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aozYewCqgXY
>>
>>14184953

I always found that song hilarious after the grimdark episodes.
>>
File: 20160502_211003_Richtone(HDR).jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160502_211003_Richtone(HDR).jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>14182247
Oh sure but for the sale of completeness I was somewhat angry that Arrow stays untranslated.
>>
>>14185755
*sake.
>>
Honestly, watching it over again, it's held up pretty well. I feel like it could have used one more episode to better flesh some stuff out, but it's hard to see why people hate it so much.
>>
>>14188624
As old as it is, I still feel it's the benchmark to which CGI in anime should be held to.
>>
But seriously

WHEN'S UNBROKEN ARROW
>>
File: rdygun.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
rdygun.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>
>>14196921
Good kill! Good kill!
>>
>>14181110
There was an edition of Macross`s YS-Flight pack, with engine thrust set to "official" ratings. No stall for you, 20g insta-blackout instead.
>>
>>14177072
Hey, faggot, they're not gay. They're pilots.
>>
>>14199104

Yeah, BUTT pilots
>>
File: 1325716544763.jpg (177 KB, 1014x742) Image search: [Google]
1325716544763.jpg
177 KB, 1014x742
>>
File: banshee-02.jpg (160 KB, 1000x673) Image search: [Google]
banshee-02.jpg
160 KB, 1000x673
>>
I hear the homosexuality was added in because some woman working on the staff was into it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (99 KB, 778x1128) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
99 KB, 778x1128
>>14208962
Yumi Tada?

I mean she does have some writing credit in the OVA if I'm not mistaken and her art style does slant to fujo (though I've heard even there it's still an acquired taste), but the OVA is still only as gay as you convince yourself to think it is.

Hell even her manga adaptation isn't gay so much as it's really weird, even by Yukikaze standards.
>>
>>14209155
Japanese Maverick x Yukikaze.
>>
So what was up with the ending?
>>
>>14209232
OVA?

The FAF and SAF pull out hard and fast, wiping out whatever traces of JAM infiltration remain (clones on the Banshee, the clone army that Rombert is leading, etc). Mad dash to the Passageway with the intent to slam the door on the JAM on the way out, the JAM get fucking pissed, shenanigans ensue, Rei and Yuki sortie and coordinate a counterattack to punch through, but end up MIA.

Jack is kinda upset over losing his friend to planefu.
>>
>>14209423
>the clone army that Rombert is leading
It's been a while since I watched, was he the guy in the city that got nuked by Rei and Yukikaze?

The guy's death was quite glorious from what I remember.
>Yukikaze flying down the street
>He turns to look at it
>The nuke launches
>He smiles as the nuke explodes right on top of him
>>
>>14211097
Rombert's the glasses guy, I believe in OVA continuity he gets to head the Flipknight project too.

His motivation isn't really explained in the OVA, but in Good Luck Yukikaze he's interested in becoming JAM or something to that effect. Dude's a spook, JAM is/are an alien race that embodies spook bullshit in general, the two would hit it off pretty well and to disastrous effect if left alone.

>breaking news, Yukikaze is pretty weird!

I haven't seen the OVA in a while but I believe he was expressing sentiments there where he questioned if he was still human, something that was in GLY in the form of Gavin Mayle.

See, the FAF/SAF became aware of JAM infiltrators cropping up in their ranks during the events of the second book, and the counterplan was to shove everyone who was downed and recovered into a retraining squadron. While this essentially gave the JAM their easy consolidated army, it also meant that JAM clones could be dealt with rather easily by just erasing the squadron.

With the OVA the JAM clone army is duped into striking Faery base, however this is all just a ruse concocted by the SAF and projected by Yukikaze, who then singlehandedly annihilates the clone army and Rombert, while Banshee is also scoured for any anomalous personnel.

It should be emphasized that Yukikaze is a very weird series at times. In hindsight it's also apparent that while the bulk of the OVA's stories are sourced from the first book, the finale takes a lot of cues from the second book's climax.

After all, it's pretty much a what-if based on if the SAF did decide to escape on Banshee, had it not been blown up not too long after Rei muses on the idea.

So yeah, to anyone who gets into it: don't just stick to one medium, you'll come to appreciate the story a lot more the more of it you consume.

Even the manga is pretty good, the background stories may not be canon, but they do help flesh the cast out in a way that doesn't disrupt much.
>>
File: Mave_sky_.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mave_sky_.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
yukikaze is great
>>
>>14177072

Eh, the homoeroticism is really only there in the anime and the manga.

The manga especially since they gave the yaoi artist character designer (Who also did art and writing duties for the manga) free range.

Even then, it's pretty clear that Fukai only has eyes for Yukikaze. Not Bukhar.
>>
>>14177701
Cruise as Jack? Hmm...
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.