[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Megaman feel like it was written in the '60s or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: zero.png (316 KB, 512x1024) Image search: [Google]
zero.png
316 KB, 512x1024
Why does Megaman feel like it was written in the '60s or '70's? I can't really put my finger on it, but compared to games of the time, the setting/feel of the original really comes across as something like a video game adaption of an Ishinomori or Uncle Go work.
>>
Mega man was originally intended as a licensed Astro Boy arcade game which explains MM1's general wierd quirks like a pointless points system and classic megaman being a general look alike to Astro Boy.

that didn't happened and instead of scrapping everything it was retooled into the first Mega Man game and the start of the megaman franchise.
>>
Kinda' has a Astroboy, Android 009, Casshern Sins, Gatchaman vibe. Cartoony, classic tights appearance, armor bits in easy to costume places, human face.
>>
>>14176311
well he has that "robot that has to destroy his own kind" story part, similar to astroboy and/or kikaider
>>
>>14176311
Basically a lot of games were just built out of influences from stuff the creators liked. Astro Boy is the biggest influence on original, Casshern for X and Time Bokan for Legends, though there are other influences going into each of them too.

>>14176321
>Mega man was originally intended as a licensed Astro Boy arcade game which explains MM1's general wierd quirks like a pointless points system and classic megaman being a general look alike to Astro Boy.
>citation required
I've never heard that, and there's absolutely nothing like that said in the OFC works or stuff.

That said the Astro Boy similarity is intentional, but it's in the same way X is basically just a riff of Casshern, they took a lot of inspiration from that rather than it starting out as a game based on Astro Boy.
>>
I thought I remember seeing in an interview that Inafune was inspired by Mazinger Z when designing the original Megaman, so that might have something to do with it.
>>
>>14177327
>X is basically just a riff of Casshern,
they were riffing on Casshern with Rush and a lot of the robot designs too

it's a pastiche of a lot of that stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjNZxAnDTA
>>
The concept of "a robot will become the savior of humanity" is a very Japanese fiction concept. Ever since Terminator people are sure robots will be our end.
>>
>>14177444
People in the west are sure, I mean
>>
People who made games during the 80s were kids during the 60s and 70s
>>
>>14176311
Because the old men that made mega man grew up with that shit.
>>
>>14176328
>Android 009
Nice one dude
>>
>>14176311

He is a pretty huge Astro Boy Casshern knock off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2W05xJ76o
>>
File: 1460274849213.png (96 KB, 1100x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460274849213.png
96 KB, 1100x1200
I feel like megaman is better than the properties his based on, specifically X, and the games were excellent. That said, Omega Factor on the GBA was really fun.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu8eUQ02Dvw

Mega Man is toku
>>
>>14180915
>Ninja Captor
It's funny that you posted that, since one of Mega Man's early concepts was based on that show.
>>
>>14180655
You must be joking.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (104 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
104 KB, 446x400
>>14180655
>I feel like megaman is better than the properties his based on,

you gave money to Inafune, didn't you
>>
So what is Megaman.exe based on?
>>
>>14181563
On Megaman.
>>
File: 1972_ai_no_senshi_rainbowman.jpg (20 KB, 323x221) Image search: [Google]
1972_ai_no_senshi_rainbowman.jpg
20 KB, 323x221
>>14181458
Wasn't it Rainbowman?
>>
>>14181600
Obviously. What else?
>>
File: 1440064466888.png (275 KB, 546x458) Image search: [Google]
1440064466888.png
275 KB, 546x458
>>14180655
No.

Coming from a person who adores Megaman in all of its forms since his childhood like you wouldn't imagine (even Starforce), who has Mega/Gigamix as one of its favorite manga, followed Archie with childlike enthusiasm, got really, really bummed out when the comic was cancelled and hums Megaman music on the shower.

No.
>>
>>14181785
Starforce was okay with the exception of 3, which I would say was at least good, possibly even great. That might be stretching it a bit, admittedly.
>>
File: 48232970_p0.png (727 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
48232970_p0.png
727 KB, 800x640
>>14181933
I'm aware they're just okay, I'm just pretty fond of them. After years of going "ew no", I played the first game and was kind of surprised at how mellow and awkward the main character was, how the villains behaved and exploited humans with sad backstories (emphasis on this, I specially liked Tom Dubius, the teacher and Luna), as well as how the overworld is kind of improved since Battle Network. I dunno, it's also fucking Megaman, It was just very endearing to me from the beginning.

Still, I just bought 2 and I'm aware it's bad, and I have yet to buy/play 3 tho, so whoops there's that.
>>
>>14181993
>tfw get the Battle Network buster
Holy shit, talk about rape. I lost my copy right before I was able to beat those post-endgame boss rush guys in the piano (?), what happens after that?
>>
>>14182010
You get Zack as a Link. He's not great but with online dead he's your only choice.
>>
>>14181993
If you do ever decide to try 3, go for Red Joker. It's the superior of the two versions.
>>
>>14182547
Black End Galaxy >>> Red Gaia Eraser
But other than that I will concede you're right
>>
>>14182719
RGE does more damage without even trying and has a more useful aftereffect. It's also cooler, but that's not objective.
>>
>>14181471
>>14181542
>>14181785

I wasn't trying to state a fact, just my shit taste. I'm fully willing to admit that I'm heavily biased towards the megaman franchise because I grew up with it. Also, FUCK giving money to kickstaters
>>
>>14176311
>Why does Megaman feel like it was written in the '60s or '70's?

Read this interview with Mega Man creator Akira Kitamura. He talks about the influences of Astro Boy, Casshern and Toku series:

http://shmuplations.com/megaman/
>>
>>14177327

Buraiking Boss is the obvious inspiration for Sigma. It practically stares you in the face!
>>
>>14181471
>>14181542
>>14181785
K, I know this is /m/ and all and you guys can't even jerk off or sleep properly thinking that anyone in the world likes something newer than 1987, but MMX and MMZ are far better than MM's original inspirations.

>>14187217
Stop being such a little damage-controlling beta.
>>
Just out of curiosity, what animes and/or tokusatsus were the inspirations for Dr. Wily and the Yellow Devil (1st boss in Wily's Castle in the original Megaman [NES]?_=)
>>
>>14190690
Time Bokan (specifically, Yatterman) was definitely an inspiration for the skull motif of his castles, some of his robots and Wily Machines, as well as those skull-shaped explosions at the end of some games. Also, the Wily Machine in 9 is essentially Gaiking.
>>
>>14190651
Not in the slightest. There's no reason to be delusional due to your nostalgia and/or stupidity.
>>
>>14176311
Megaman Classic = Astro Boy with Friender
Megaman X - Casshern sans Friender
Casshern Sins = Megaman Zero gone full circle.
>>
>>14190797
Meanwhile, Mega Man Legends = Time Bokan with Lego minions.

Also, the anime version of Battle Network essentially becomes Super Sentai (especially since an actual Sentai writer was the head writer for that adaptation).
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.