[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Negative Impact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12
File: Neon-Génesis-Evangelion.jpg (3 MB, 2614x1639) Image search: [Google]
Neon-Génesis-Evangelion.jpg
3 MB, 2614x1639
What negative things do you think NGE did for the mecha genre as a whole?
>>
Rei clones.
Endless Rei clones.
>>
Led to too much focus on merchandising
>>
>>14175777

We already had this thread none too long ago. To actually answer your question, absolutely nothing, since only three to five mecha series made after Eva had any influence from it. Nice lucky sevens, by the way.
>>
After Eva the amount of 2deep4 anime increased dramatically. It's artstyle became popular as well, and it's a bit of a step down from most early 90's art.

Truly the end of the golden age.
>>
>>14175796

I don't know if I'd attribute it to Evangelion, but I've often wondered who started the trend of overusing religious symbolism that had little rhyme or reason to it in the context of the story.
>>
>>14175777
Well, um, where do I begin?
>MJP
>Fafner
>Argento Soma
>Gasaraki
>AWotTB
>this thread
>>
>>14175796
It was the 90's. That shit had already been happening. Eva just packaged it in Shinji
>>
Only minor esthetic changes at worst. What really changed the mecha genre and the anime industry in general was the economical stagnation. Gainax's business practices were more influential than Eva itself
>>
>>14175793
>implying Gundam didn't do that first
>>
>>14175804
Every Anno anime has heavy religious symbolism. Too bad /m/ is full of plebs who never watched Nadia.
>>
>>14175813
Nobody likes Shinji. Well, maybe depressed nips on the 90s but they don't buy Shinji merchandise so they're irrelevant. Bland harem leads are more influential than Shinji, they work better as self-insert for the otakus for lacking a personality
>>
>>14175793
>he says this when the entire point of mecha has always been merchandising

>>14175804
The 80s.

>>14175808
>Gasaraki
That's just Takahashi being Takahashi though.
>>
>>14175804
Japs have always taken to using Christian imagery as something strange and exotic and foreign.
Anno just cranked it to 11 in Eva and, because it was wildly popular, so many afterwards tried to jump on the Christian-imagery bandwagon.
Though most failed miserably because they failed to grasp what made Eva popular in the first place.
>>
>>14175824

Nadia is garbage like everything else he's had his hands on, to be fair.
>>
>>14175809
But I don't hate it. Nice baseless assumptions, you'll fit in well here.

>>14175813
I know, but Eva popularised that stuff. I'd think that popularisation of existing elements is an easy concept to grasp.
>>
File: sadamoto_nadia-shinji.jpg (152 KB, 492x488) Image search: [Google]
sadamoto_nadia-shinji.jpg
152 KB, 492x488
>>14175824
This pleb sure hasn't >>14175796, since he thinks Eva's artstyle is original and not Sadamoto copy-pasting what he did five years earlier.
>>14175832
It's cute when you try to be pretentious and just end up literally wrong in every aspect.
>>
>>14175827
>Takahashi

I made that post specifically to illicit your response. You're so predictable. Notice how I left of RXP?
>>
>>14175834
>I'd think that popularization of existing elements
Like Mazinger, for example.

>>14175838
>having an opinion is pretentious
Okay anon, you have fun tipping that fedora.
>>
>>14175834
But antiheros, people that are highly self involved, sad main cast, ect, had been popularized well over a decade before Eva. Before, and after, those characters just had muscles.
>>
>>14175826
True. Shinji was a mirror to the depression that set over the Jap salary man as their economy collapsed after the 80s.
No one likes looking in the mirror and seeing themselves as so pathetic, so many don't want to embrace the symbol of their own failings and frailty.
And like you said, they turned to the bland nerdy faggot who has no such ugly flaws, yet had so many girls lusting after his dick for no reason.
Dogshit like Love Hina epitomized this and all terrible harems ever since copied that formula.
>>
>>14175839
Good for you I guess. Don't know why you'd bother though.
>>
File: feb4c-1228888217719.jpg (152 KB, 1029x872) Image search: [Google]
feb4c-1228888217719.jpg
152 KB, 1029x872
>>14175777
People calling Brain Powerd an Eva clone
>>
>>14175849
Well it was Tomino trying to be Anno trying to be Tomino.
And failing all around.
>>
Some of you seem to be doing it, but how about we all stay in line with what OP is asking about?
>>
>>14175830

I just wish Annofags wouldn't pretend like he had any other reason for using Christian/Kabbalistic imagery besides trying to earn chuuni points
>>
>>14175826
>>14175847
I said it some other recent Eva thread. Shinji, accidently or not, encapsulates a manic depressive. All his progress and hope is quickly forgotten and he goes back to his old ways. Then he blows up the world. Twice.
>>
>>14175853
How about you fuck right off, OP? Huh, how about it?
>>
>>14175853
Does it matter? The flamewars it inspires in the fanbase is worse than what it had done to actualy mecha content. Eva hurt other anime more than mecha.
>>
>>14175859
He's not a manic depressive. He doesn't have wild swings of hyper enthusiasm down to mopey depression.
He regresses beyond his old ways when the world starts shitting on him with one bad thing after another.
He's a frail little kid who starts out in a bad spot, has a rough time in life, but gets better. Slowly but surely he starts to come out of his shell and be more normal, making friends and opening up to connecting with people.
Then he gets to watch his own "robot" try to crush one of his best friends, the rest of his friends move away and leave him, that one cute girl he likes gets mind raped into a coma, the other cute girls he likes gets blown up and then replaced with a doll that's not really her and his drunken, abusive, yet well-meaning guardian/commanding officer shuts herself off from him after her boyfriend dies and she may or may not have offered the kid sex.
Oh, but then he gets an offer of friendship, companionship and love from a beautiful, mysterious stranger. Shinji ends up leaning all his recently broken dreams and feelings on this new stranger, who turns out to be his enemy and the enemy of all mankind and he's forced to kill him. Shattering not only his new friend's body, but also the last crutch holding up his fragile heart.
This breaks the Shinji, who goes on to break the world.
>>
>>14175864
How about you don't make baseless assumptions that I'm the OP?
>>
>>14175864
>[triggered]
>>
>>14175886
Yep, OP confirmed. Probably posting on your phone to make the IP count change.

Disgusting, really. Making a bait thread and then trying to hide it like the dirty little samefag you are.

>baseless
No, I know your kind, worm. Now get out of here before I tell your mom.
>>
File: 1459547695599.jpg (57 KB, 594x598) Image search: [Google]
1459547695599.jpg
57 KB, 594x598
>>14175903

>implying

Actually I'm OP
>>
>>14175903
You seem to have serious issues anon. Are you perhaps from /lit/ or /ic/?
>>
File: 1460067179658.jpg (26 KB, 331x540) Image search: [Google]
1460067179658.jpg
26 KB, 331x540
>>14175918

>implying we're not both OP

I'm a schizophrenic btw
>>
>>14175884
I disagree for a number of reasons but you ain't fully wrong.
>>
Creating a mindless legion that compare all mecha anime (before or after) to it and make blanket statements that shows are "eva ripoffs" without regard.

Brain Powerd was in production before Eva aired. Still, the myth that it was "Tomino's copycat of Eva" is perpetuated to this day.
>>
>>14175859

Well he finally got some basic therapy because he blew up the world so it all worked out just fine in the end.
>>
>>14175777
Literally nothing. Eva can't be blamed for being successful. It's not gainax's fault people copy success.
>>
>>14175777
not enough homo
>>
>>14175808
What such a neat list of 7+/10 has to do with this thread?
>>
The only anime people know and it's this mediocre show. Fuck it all.
>>
>>14175804
Oh god I wish EVA had good writing and an intelligent plot.

Sadly it is just pretentious.

If you actually want a good plot Evangelion ain't it.
>>
>>14175804
Being an atheist who doesn't know shit about the Bible all that nonsense went over my head. Thank god.
>>
File: Gainax fans.png (24 KB, 802x263) Image search: [Google]
Gainax fans.png
24 KB, 802x263
>>14175777
People like this
>>
>>14175827
>he says this when the entire point of mecha has always been merchandising

That's patently false. Tetsujin and other early mecha were not merchandise driven. Mazinger and other 1970s had toys, but even that was fairly tame. Gundam is when mecha became hyper-merchandised, so really mecha didn't really become merchandise focused until 1980ish.
>>
>>14175777
>What negative things do you think NGE did for the mecha genre as a whole?

Absolute cancerous fandom in west which remains in pretense that it is "deconstruction" of the genre.And Evageeks
>>
>>14175777
It's odd to think about, but I think what Eva actually did was kill off the simplistic MotW kids show. Granted, it was on its way out by the time Eva aired and there were a few that aired after it, but I do think Eva was a big nail in the coffin. Suddenly every show had to be more than just a robot defeating an unambiguously evil person. That stuff did coexist alongside the likes of Gundam and VOTOMS for a time, but after Eva, practically the only place you could still see it was in Brave/Transformers shows. The irony here being how much Eva was based on Mazinger Z
>>
>>14175777
Create an absolutely cancerous hatebase
>>
>>14175809
>YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND
nice base-pattern shitpost, welcome to /m/, newfag.
>>
>>14175777
You literally can't make anything in the mecha genre now without casuals screaming that it's a ripoff of Evangelion because it's the only mecha thing they've ever seen.
>>
>>14177086
>You literally can't make anything in the mecha genre now without casuals screaming that it's a ripoff of
That's not Gundam.
>>
>>14177018
>but I think what Eva actually did was kill off the simplistic MotW kids show

No.
>>
gundamfags are a fucking cancer.
>>
>>14176840
Nice lies.
>>
>>14175777
It created a nu-generation of contrarians that are butthurt it's so popular and renowned around the world
>>
>>14177832
>another delusional Evangelion fan
Not surprised!
>>
Its one of the things that really kicked off the whole trend of various forms of fiction going "WEW I'm actually insulting my own audience that's giving me money and success by wasting my life making a show/game/movie etc etc that pretends to cater to them. God I'm just so fucking clever and intelligent. Ive got it all figured out dude." As the author jerks himself off furiously in the audiences face.

Its one of the reasons why we have so much shitty garbage like Spec Ops: The Line coming out that somehow manages to be even more pretentious and hamfisted than Eva were the author somehow manages to masturbate in the audiences face ever harder and more furiously than ever before.
>>
>>14180024
>Spec Ops: The Line
>pretentious
>modern telling of 100+ year old novel is pretentious
You are the biggest idiot in this thread of idiocy.
>>
>>14180037
Come on dude, we all know it was supposed to be a "deconstruction" of modern military shooters that basically amounts to a liberal arts major whining at you about muh power fantasies and muh evil violent video games for around 6 hours, he even admits it in interviews, you would have to be a complete fucking moron to not see it.
>>
>>14180044
>it has more brains than much Cawadoody!
>pwtentious!
>deconstwuction!
Waaah!
You sound like a /v/ermin just rattling off buzzwords with no substance. You idiotic opinion is completely inconsequential.
Not even trying to defend Spec Ops or Eva, but calling either pretentious just shows how stupid you are.
>>
>>14180048
I don't even like Call of Duty or modern military shooters, I just don't like preachy pieces of garbage from pretentious authors.

>Waaah!

It sounds more like your the one crying here.
>>
>>14180050
Not him, but you should've bitched about Far Cry 3.

I never finished The Line, but it really didn't feel pretentious.
>>
>>14180062
Yeah Far Cry 3 was much the same although I can forgive some of it because the writer is a literal schizophrenic who cant stop flip flopping and shit over what the game is supposed to mean.

Maybe a better word to use would be "condescending" or something.
>>
>>14180065
I can support condescending, or stilted even.

Blood Dragon was incredible though. Different team (sorta) I know
>>
>>14180024
You're absolutely right. Anno just preaches his insecurities through Evangelion. He's literally projecting. And to add insult to injury, the rest of the series is just an unoriginal amalgam of his favorite comics/books/shows. Of course, he is far from the first to do such a thing, but this was a trend that really took off in the 90s where a lot of directors were trying to be ironic about the cliched crap they were creating.
>>
>>14180024
>Its one of the things that really kicked off the whole trend of various forms of fiction going "WEW I'm actually insulting my own audience that's giving me money and success by wasting my life making a show/game/movie etc etc that pretends to cater to them. God I'm just so fucking clever and intelligent. Ive got it all figured out dude." As the author jerks himself off furiously in the audiences face.
That was typical 90s cynicism. For better or worse, Eva is clearly a 90s product.
>>
>>14180862
comics was doing that in the 80s with Watchmen and all the other 2kewl4skewl shit
>>
>>14180869
Watchmen started the 2kewl4skewl shit on capeshit. Arguably not the first but together with TDKR, it's the title used to mark a before and after.
>>
>>14176851
EVA fans
>>
>>14177137
Implying any normalfag has actually seen Mobile Suit Gundam.
>>
File: wake up.jpg (55 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
wake up.jpg
55 KB, 720x960
>>14175847
>Shinji was a mirror to the depression that set over the Jap salary man as their economy collapsed after the 80s
Nice head-cannon. You make me laugh.

>>14176760
Literal cancer. Gainax/trigger/Anno fans are the worst. Muh Gunbuster.

>>14176851
This guy gets it.
>>
>>14181010
>head-cannon
Explosion joke
>>
>>14180024
>getting triggered by media turning a mirror on it's audience
Sounds like someone needs a safe space where their cartoons won't make fun of them
>>
>>14181168
To be fair, it's less that and more just Anno being self-deprecating fag for a little bit
>>
>>14180913
Night Gwen Stacy Died and the Dark Angel Saga were some pretty noteworthy milestones as well.

I'd say NGSD was probably a little more important to the overall shape of comics than anything else listed. It was kinda the defining moment letting mainstream superhero shit "get real." And that was the 70's, well before DKR or Watchmen, granted it wasn't reflective or self-referential, but it's definitely a before or after point.
>>
>>14181010
>Muh Gunbuster

literally when did they even mention Gunbuster?
Most gainax fags I know shit on it because it's not SO MANLY or DEEP
>>
>>14175777
Waifubullshit
>>
>>14181225
I don't even get it
Eva and TTGL were one and done shows for me. Gunbuster is the only one I regard highly enough to want to watch again
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 1125x1084) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 1125x1084
>>14181225
Wrong. Gainaxfags love to obnoxiously claim that Gunbuster is the best mecha anime of the 80s and of all time even though it is one of the only five thy have seen (the others include Eva, TTGL, Code Geass). Anyone with extensive knowledge of the genre knows that Gunbuster is one of the worst.
>>
File: Win2.gif (29 KB, 107x114) Image search: [Google]
Win2.gif
29 KB, 107x114
>>14181275
>DUDE GUNDAM ZETA LOL
I have no more business with you.

>>14181262
I think Eva is pretty good but I can never get past episode 3 or 4 of Garry. I'm guessing the sub is superior.
>>
Honestly, OP, aside from >>14176122 I can't really say it was in general bad or good. I'm not going to count its obsessive fanbase or obsessive hatebase because those are pretty much always bad anyway.

>>14175859
Shinji isn't manic depressive, but he most certainly is clinically depressed. The complete lack of self-esteem for 90% of the show, gauging yourself on the reactions of others purely, the fact that he prefers to be alone most of the time... Hell, he even does that constant apologizing thing.

>>14175884
Not... precisely what I'd say, but you're not entirely wrong.

>>14176840
>Mazinger and other 1970s had toys, but even that was fairly tame.

Yeah, which is why Mechander's failing toy line got the show cancelled and there was a large glut of transforming and combining mecha that could be toy accurately transformed/combined in that era.

It was pretty much always merchandized.
>>
>>14181294
>dubfag
Not even the Zetafrogposter, but I have no more business with you.
>>
>>14181275
Please do not post on /m/
>>
>>14181333
>says the annoying tripfaggot
Oh the irony
>>
>>14181262
TTGL is but Eva can be rewatched after a year or so thanks to the little things you can pick up afterwards. More than three times in your life is excessive even if you really like it though so space it out. I think I went 4 years before rewatching and it still felt a little soon. EoE is another matter entirely.

Gunbuster as a whole doesn't really deserve a rewatch except for the sci-fi elements but episodes 4 and 5 are good anytime. Episode 6 should be watched sparingly to preserve the feeling.
>>
>>14181303
Has anyone ever come up with an explanation why it was a good idea to let Shinjii in the robot? It's been years since I watched it.

Good god there is no way he'd pass a psych evaluation. S5 as we say in my country, meaning unfit for service. The kid needs help.
>>
>>14181328
>dubfag

It's not like I can only watch one or the other. Usually I go with subs.
>>
>1995 + 21
>there are still butthurt people because they couldn't understand eva
Ayyy
>>
>>14181374
Rei was almost kill, Unit 01 was the only EVA to be working and Shinji was the only one who could pilot because muh mommy.
>>
I honestly think that after Eva way too many writers started inserting meaningless pauses and spewing nonsensical technomythobabble in place of actually writing dialogue and coherent story because Eva use it so effectively.
>>
>>14181389
Honestly I think most of the butthurt is people who DID get it but are mad that they get it.

>I heard this was supposed to be DEEP and COMPLEX but I UNDERSTOOD IT so everyone else must be STUPID and I'm SMART and now I'm MAD because I'm AUTISTIC and must spend my entire life being MAD at people I deem to be STUPID even as I piss my life away as a NEET
>>
>>14181457

Neet life best life desu
>>
>>14175808
3 of those are good and the other 2 probably are too
>>
>>14181457
I see you're one of those people I mentioned.

Really, why do you think that those who understood eva the ones that shitpost about it?
It's really simple once you discard the religious references and start paying atention to the characters and anno's message.
>>
>>14181522
These people have to explain Eva every thread and eventually they get sick of doing so and just get angry at people for making them explain it even just to make a point

>>14181363
I don't rewatch to find things I didn't see before. I do it because I enjoyed the show the first time and want to experience it again
>>
>>14175777
You wanna know what the worst impact NGE had on anime as a whole?

Threads like these, you and people like you.
>>
>>14180024
I think there's a difference between Eva's self-awareness and the seasonal moeshit's self-awareness. The latter is more about indulging into the fetishes (lel meidos, wink wink; otakus are sooo creepy, wink, wink, more meidos) so it doesn't truly challenge the audience. From certain perspective, the modern self-awareness is even more hopeless than Eva. Besides, it's not that the otaku is insane. He knows the difference between reality and fantasy, it's just that he's convinced that he can't find any kind of happiness on reality. The otaku gave up completely on other people and on himself
>>
>>14181522
I don't know how you could infer from my post that I didn't understand Eva, but hey whatever.
Personally I don't believe there is anyone who doesn't get it.
Maybe the very end of EoE could leave some people confused but other than that it's straightforward and most of the time the characters are outright explaining what's happening.

>lol u just don't get it
Everyone gets it. The actual source of the problem is shitheels acting as if other people don't, or won't understand it, and then autistic people finding out that it's not deep at all and sperging about it.

I look forward to hearing your response where you imply I didn't understand Eva, again, for no reason, and leave me wondering why I bothered to reply to a post on 4chan seriously again.
I'm just too old to shitpost.
>>
>>14181498
Read the reply chain.
>>
>>14181374
Shinji was the only available pilot, he was kept on because unfortunately he was still somehow the best pilot around. To be fair, he's actually not all that terrible a pilot considering how few fights he's actually involved in (He's in, what, fifteen or fourteen all show?), especially when you consider his enemies were all MotW stuff that had no consistency in terms of abilities.

Oh, and, uh, everyone's PLANS involved him being in the cockpit, so the kid was fucked.
>>
Never seen it. Is it as bad as Metal Gear Solid 2? They seem to have similar themes and reputations. If it is, I'm definitely not watching it.
>>
>>14185130
Eva is not anything like Metal Gear Solid 2. MGS2 had one or two consistent ideas that it wanted to explore. Eva tried to be everything at once. The few themes you might be able to discern from Eva are not in any way similar to MGS2's. Also, MGS2 doesn't really require any knowledge from supplementary materials to understand it, though playing the first game helps. Eva doesn't tell you certain critical information; it only implies this information.

The only thing comparable between the two is that they both have overwrought endings that grind the plot to a halt in order for you to listen to the writer's musings on philosophy for 40 minutes, during which time you don't quite know whether the characters are talking to the main character or you, the viewer.
>>
>>14176754
Nothing wrong with being an athiest man but don't knock the bible, the Old Testament is fucking lit. Like look at it like one would look at any other kind of mythology and it's really cool.
>>
>>14185260
If you can't appreciate MGS2 or Eva you're a fucking pleb
>>
>>14188665
It honestly isn't that interesting in terms of mythology.
>>
>>14188667
I liked MGS2, but the gameplay felt unrefined (not in terms of mechanics, but in terms of shitty map design), and the story seemed to be less about an actual narrative and more about telling the player about how our lives are run by memes

Eva is just kinda dull for the most part, a poor man's Mazinger Z. And then, in the second half, we get Anno's depression simulator and musings on Freudian and Jungian psychology, which I don't care about. None of it was worked organically into the plot until EoE. If the characters had been a bit smarter and come to certain realizations a bit sooner, I probably would have enjoyed it much more.
>>
>>14188667
>plebs calling others plebs for not enjoying literally the height of pleb vidya and anime

Strange times
>>
>>14189094
Ok pleb.
>>
>>14175777

Honestly? I think it almost killed the mecha genre because when other shows were airing plebs were like "Eva did it better" or something along those lines. They stuck their noses in the air and looked down upon other fans, basically slut-shaming them for not recognizing true "art." Suddenly every single studio was catering to these asshats, ignoring the average Joes that couldn't understand what was going on.

And then GaoGaiGar came along and said "Fuck this, I'mma fix what you done broke, Eva" and then punched those fucking assholes in the dick. And there was much rejoicing.
>>
>>14189192
Wow spic your so funny
>>
>>14189195

And your spelling is atrocious and needs some tinkering. But hey, no one really cares, right? Name-calling is all that matters.
>>
>>14189192
Except GaoGaiGar wasn't anything new or interesting and the style of show it took after never went away.
>>
>>14182541
>Everyone gets it. The actual source of the problem is shitheels acting as if other people don't, or won't understand it, and then autistic people finding out that it's not deep at all and sperging about it.

Truth
>>
>>14189053
I will agree that MGS2 was lacking mechanically but by far it is the strongest MGS game thematically.
>>
>>14189340
Perhaps, but the thematics aren't in service of the plot. The plot is in service of the thematics. That's the issue I take with it. MGS3 was much stronger in the story department because it had no real message. It was just focused on showcasing one soldier's fall to darkness, nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>14189192
There is nothing wrong with slut shaming. Also, good job showing that you're from or read TVTropes.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.