[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did he mean by this ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
What did he mean by this ?
>>
File: cca-post.png (42 KB, 628x308) Image search: [Google]
cca-post.png
42 KB, 628x308
Who? Char?
>>
>>14173271

I dislike that image and disagree with it's central premise. I think he wanted Lalah to guide him in how to be a newtype and a compassionate person, not in life in general and that he saw Quess as a way to achieve that even with Lalah dead. The movie essentially says he does.
>>
/tv/ pls go
>>
>>14173297
DELETE THIS
>>
>>14173269
I think Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack is an exceedingly important movie in that every time I view it, my opinion of something I had thought to be fundamental to the Gundam franchise changes. The first time I watched it (2008) I was a skeptical non-fan of the franchise as a whole, and was intensely disappointed by what I thought was an unnecessary distraction to the whole narrative: the Quess Paraya sub-plot. I took this as an indicator of the weak, or silly plot craft of Tomino’s parts in the franchise as a whole.

I had seen it again last year, and by that time I was already won over by Gundam by and large. The significant change after this viewing was my attitude towards the Newtype conceit, and its close affinity with deux ex machina habits to end shows. I had accepted that this was fundamental to Gundam, and if I can’t get past my dislike for these, I will not be able to enjoy the franchise as much as I intended.

This would be such a waste, and would be inconsistent with my actual feelings of intense enjoyment of many of the shows. A big part of my enjoyment of the Universal Century is the very idea that it is the narrative milieu where Char Aznable did his deeds. Even during my most skeptical days, I had never not liked Char.

Char Aznable, by the time of his Counter Attack, shares the Anti-Spirals’ pessimistic picture of human nature. He and Amuro agree that humanity has to colonise space in order to further their evolution into something less prone to war,1 but Char feels that humans need some encouragement. Encouragement in the form of a giant rock crashing into the Earth and rendering it uninhabitable (this is anime, after all).2 Amuro is prepared to, as he puts it, ‘wait for humanity to learn and grow’ and – just like the Anti Spirals puzzling over Simon’s continuing resistance – Char can’t understand Amuro’s faith in humanity
>>
>>14173326
Alright, let's take a step back from the anime perspective for a minute. Usually most movies that were adapted from the silver screen (Miami Vice, Swat, Charlie's Angels, Mission Impossible, and even Transformers and GI Joe to name a few) does not always embodies the essence of its predecessor, and would fall flat through one reason or the other. So the arduous task for Tomino-sensei this time round is not only making a movie from an epic tv series (Mobile Suit Gundam), but to provide a suitable ending to the Char-Amuro rivalry once and for all. There's a reason why I always address him as '-sensei', and throughout all his works, Tomino-sensei has never disappointed me (well maybe a little on F91), and I fully believe that when he's at the helm from the start of a project, the end result will be a product of high quality. Having a little perspective does help when you're watching this movie, as it is the final chapter in the Universal Century saga (okay okay so F91 was supposed to be the last, but as it was condensed we don't get the full essence of the story, so that doesn't count, right?) . Casual viewers might be entertained based on the action this movie dishes out, but to get the true impact of the events in this movie it helps to have seen at least one Gundam series from the Universal Century timeline (which does NOT mean Gundam Wing, folks). Watching all three of the series (Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta and Double Zeta) and also maybe the OVAs as well, will give you an overview how the main protagonists in this movie ended up as they were, and does give you a bit of historical knowledge on the Earth-Zeon conflict. So when I picked up the DVD to this movie after educating myself with all things Universal Century, I wanted to witness firsthand the conclusion to the Char-Amuro rivalry, and what happens to my two favourite characters of all time in the Gundam franchise.
>>
>>14173326

Did you really only watch it twice, form different opinions each time and think that was remarkable in some fashion? Or are there other times you're not mentioning?

Also, Char wanted to be like Amuro and comments on how alike they are to Nanai, with her saying that maybe he only hates him because of it. He wanted to have that compassion he sees in Amuro and for someone like Lalah to help him learn it, but because he doesn't share it he doesn't understand Amuro's view and disagrees with him about people and Earth.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.