[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /m/ So, I just finished watching Evangelion for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Evangelion 1.jpg (369 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion 1.jpg
369 KB, 1920x1200
Sup /m/
So, I just finished watching Evangelion for the first time (Just the main series, not any of the movies yet) and, well, I liked it... but I think I liked it in the wrong way.
I really enjoyed the monster-of-the-week episodes, thought the varying Angel designs were really neat, enjoyed the EVAs all working together, and really dug the action.
Meanwhile, I didn't really care so much for the entry level philosophy that was going on, and found some of the psychological aspects not that interesting. Gonna be honest, I was pretty pissed when they had Asuka just got catatonic after losing a fight against an Angel that beat the shit out of Shinji and Rei too. Many of the purely character focused episodes were hard to get through, as characterization for most of the cast felt very shallow and not nearly that interesting.
Anyone else have the same thoughts? Should I just try a more action oriented mecha anime next?
>>
These kids destroyed the world for basic therapy. Well, two of them. They're in a common vein of anime characters that are very into themselves.
>>
>>14172506
>Anyone else have the same thoughts?
No, since the character focused episode are as much if not more interesting that the old fashioned MotW focused episodes.

>Should I just try a more action oriented mecha anime next?
You should try watching more mecha shows, specifically from the 70s onwards.
>>
>>14172506
Watch literally anything else. Evangelion is the worst anime of all time. Only spics like it.
>>
>>14172531
Fuck off getterfag, go shitpost another thread.
>>
Yeah, I guess I feel the same way. Misato and Shinji are good, but everyone else seems shallow. But then again, I think there are a lot of shows that have done action better than Evangelion as well. End of Evangelion is probably worth your time if you enjoyed the action in the show because it (for the most part) abandons character focus for plot, although there's not all that much mecha action in it either, only a little bit at the end, really. Lots of other action, though.
>>
Shinji, accidently or not, does encapsulate a manic depressive decently. He has these spurts realizing personal truths, then goes back on his old ways constantly, never really learning anything.
>>
>>14172565
Yeah, that really annoyed me. My friend asked me about the show, and I basically explained it as thus:
>Shinji doesn't have a character arc, he has character waves. He looks like he develops, then one or two episodes later, he's back to his old self, and this goes on and on.
>>
>>14172506
Flip a coin.

>>14172546
>implying most Getterautists don't like Eva
>>
>>14172593
Getterfags don't like anything but Getter Robo, and everything else (specially popular things like eva and gundam) is shit only liked by spics.
>>
You got it right.

Right way to watch Eva
>cool mechanical designs
>cool battles
>tits and ass of 14 yr old Asuka & Rei

Wrong way to watch Eva
>muh deep deep pyschology
>muh metaphors
>any other retarded sophistry
>>
>>14172651
How much would /a/ flip their shit if we told them this?
>>
>>14172631
Good job not understanding how Getterautists actually are, spic.
>>
I'd highly recommend The Big O for a series that masterfully blends MotW episodes with good characters and an interesting overarching narrative.
>>
>>14172679
You make it sound like MotW is a bad thing
>>
>>14172679
Actually watching Big O currently and love it. I'm up to Episode 16. As a person who adores the Godzilla series, I really enjoy how Big O's mecha are actually slow moving and lumbering. Lends a real sense of weight to them.
I'm also watching the original Gundam. At episode 28. It's been fun, but the poorly aged animation has made it harder to watch than the more modern series.
>>
>>14172679
>>14172691
Just don't expect closure from the narrative.
>>
>>14172689
I didn't mean to since I personally really enjoy MotW shows. I can't stand how some people treat MotW as an inherently bad thing; it can be done well and it can be done poorly, just like any other type of show.
>>
>>14172506
Kamen Rider Black
>>
>>14173335
What about it?
>>
evashit belongs to /a/ go back there you faggot
>>
>>14172531
/thread
>>
>>14172651
This
>>
>>14172506
I'd suggest waiting a couple of months and then watching it again.

>Anyone else have the same thoughts?
Mostly the opposite for me.

>Should I just try a more action oriented mecha anime next?
Yes.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.