[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All the Gundams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
So...I've never watched Gundam. I want to start, but before I do I wanted to know all my choices. I scoured Wikipedia as well as the Gundam Wiki, and I think I found everything.

Can anyone let me know if I have everything, or if I'm missing anything? And also recs on where to begin?

This is what I've found:
Origin
0079 Movie I
0079: Soldiers of Sorrow
0079: Encounters in Space
Zeta
Zeta: Heirs to the Stars
Zeta: Lovers
Zeta: Love, Pulse of Stars
ZZ
ZZ: Gundam Frag
Char's Counterattack
0080: War in the Pocket
F91
0083: Stardust Memory
0083: Last Blitz of Zeon
0083: Mayfly in Space
Victory
8th MS Team
8th MS Team: Miller's Report
8th MS Team: Battle in 3 Dimensions
00: Special Edition
00: Wakening of the Trailblazer
G
Wing
Wing: Operation Meteor
Wing: Endless Waltz
Wing: Endless Waltz Special Edition
Wing: Frozen Teardrop
After War X
Turn-A
Turn-A I: Earth Light
Turn-A II: Moonlight Butterfly
G-Saviour
Evolve
SEED
SEED: The Empty Battlefield
SEED: The Far-Away Dawn
SEED: The Rumbling Sky
SEED: After Phase - In the Valley of Stars
SEED: Character Theater
SEED: MSV Astray
SEED Destiny
SEED Destiny: Shattered World
SEED Destiny: Their Respective Swords
SEED Destiny: Flames of Destiny
SEED Destiny: The Cost of Freedom
SEED CD 73: Stargazer
SEED Destiny: Chosen Future
MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War
MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079
MS IGLOO: The Gravity Front
Unicorn
Unicorn RE: 0096
Reconquista in G
Reconquista in G: From Past to Future
Iron Blooded Orphans
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt: December Sky
Builders Beginning G
Build Fighters
Build Fighters Try
SD Mark I-V
SD Counterattack
SD Legend
SD Musha Knight Command
SD March
SD Festival
SD Force
SD Force: Destructive Daishogun
SD Brave Battle Warriors Movie
SD Brave Battle Warriors
Gundam-san
All That Gundam
Mission to the Rise
Ring of Gundam
The Ride: A Baoa Qu
Neo Experience 0087: Green Diver
Crisis
Battlefield Record: Avant-Title
Stand at Jaburo
UC: One of Seventy Two
UC: Neo Zeong Strikes Odaiba
>>
>Not this shit again.png
>>
File: 1445648415351.jpg (2 MB, 2800x3402) Image search: [Google]
1445648415351.jpg
2 MB, 2800x3402
>>
Just watch SEED and SD Gundam, they have the most entries so they must be good.
>>
I've pretty much decided to go in release order, just curious if the websites I went to (Wikipedia article and the Gundam Wiki) were complete or if there was missing material...
>>
You have several ways depending on if you want to watch only a few or everything.

>If you want to watch everything
Production order

>For UC specifically
You have the Movie Timeline (MSG > Z:ANT > CCA > Late UC) which is the canon version despite what is said to the contrary. And the TV (Exclusively has ZZ and Unicorn), Origin and Thunderbolt timelines. There's also a lot of side material OVAs, but it helps to watch main parts first to get a good grasp of the world of Gundam.

>Alternate Universe series
Anything that's AU can be watched on its own since they don't build off any other series. But for Gundam Build Fighter, Turn A and SD. it helps to be knowledgeable about the series to fully enjoy it.
>>
>>14171101
>ANT

Fuck off you god damn spic.
>>
>>14171119
A most thoughtful response, I'm sure those sorts of comments and saying 'film' means TV shows will go over swimmingly with people who are just looking to be informed.

It's not, so please refrain from shitposting
>>
>>14171129
>he wants to watch gundam
>telling him to skip the good ones because "muh canon"

You're a fucking retard.

>>14168793
Anyone who tells you to watch movies instead of TV series is just a "headcanon" faggot who cares more about his fanfics than anything. You're better off asking on /a/ and not on this shitpost-ridden board.
>>
>>14168793
>And also recs on where to begin?

Think of Gundam (a meta franchise) as a set of disconnected stories (even within a single timeline). You can start wherever you want and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The only thing to keep in mind is this : it's obvious but the older a show you choose the more the animation is poor (the only exceptions to the rule are the ovas but you can count those on the fingers of one hand so...).

If you've never watched any Gundam start with a series that's modern. IE post 2000. Anything earlier and it's going to be rude.
>>
Thanks for the info so far guys!

One thing's for sure, the animation is definitely not a problem for me. I prefer hand-drawn to the modern digital stuff and I've seen some stuff from 0079 and it looks good to me.

I do have another question though. I've noticed a lot of the series have a TV version and then also like a condensed movie version. Throwing what's 'canon' aside, is one better than the other? Is there a good enough to reason to watch both, or is it redundant?
>>
>>14171169
>>14171142
>OP wants to watch Gundam and doesn't know where to start.
>Give a guide of the best ways to watch the various series because of how many different series there are and to keep it coherent for OP.
Meanwhile you wish to inject personal bias into what the OP watches as opposed to sticking with the facts. Are you going to ignore how there are multiple routes on what to watch UC series which includes the TV versions?

You keep coming to this crazy conclusion that just because it's not canon, it ceases to exist or think no one would watch it. That is emphatically wrong.

>>14171169
The movies tend to cut out a lot of the fat, but can cause some areas to be less fleshed out because they are reducing a 50 episode series to just 3 movies. Animation wise, The Zeta movies will prove jarring to you because while they use a decent portion of footage from the original series, all the updated scenes are done with modern technology so the digital and hand drawn style to the original show will clash. But it still does work out in the end.

If you're strapped for time, stick with the movies. If you want the full experience, I'd suggest you watch both the movies and the TV series'.
>>
Well I've decided to just go in production order and at least watch a few episodes of anything before I drop it if I don't like it.

Seen the first two episodes of 0079 (I think it's a fansub of a japanese BR) and it's actually really interesting. Not as dated as I thought it would be.

I've also noticed the beginning is very similar to the beginning of the game Xenogears...I don't doubt it was trying to pay homage to Gundam at least a little bit.
>>
File: Falldogs_GundamTimeline_v7.png (1 MB, 5016x2379) Image search: [Google]
Falldogs_GundamTimeline_v7.png
1 MB, 5016x2379
>>14168793
this might come in handy
>>
>>14171911
>G-Reco before Turn A
Wrong. Tomino even said G-Reco is AFTER Turn A.
>>
The answer to this question for practically every franchise is production order.

>>14168837
Hey, most SD Gundams are actually pretty good. Just pretend the first half of SD Force doesn't exist.
>>
>>14171972
yeah it has that thingy wrong, but the rest is a nice compilation
>>
>>14171169
The movies are no substitute for the shows. They can be supplemental, but if they're all you watch then you haven't seen Gundam, full stop.
>>
>>14171129
Black Knight you never refuted my last argument

Go ask any fucking Japanese person or Japanese learning community, and they will tell you that your definition of フィルム is factually incorrect. If a machine translation is correct, they should all corroborate you.
>>
>>14171169
Personally I prefer the movies for 0079. Music is nicer, animation is nicer, and dumb shit like Doans island is cut.
BUT, because it cuts stuff out you miss character development.

0079 movies are the only movies worth watching.
>>
>>14168793

Just watch the first 21 then Turn A, Unicorn and catch up on Thunderbolt. Rest is optional.
>>
Anyone have OP's pic in a better res?
>>
Black_Knight-sama, how do you feel about Alexandria Daddario and Kristen Stewart?
>>
>>14171142
>Unicorn
>ZZ
>>The """"good"""" ones
>>
File: tumblr_nv98coHM4i1uojkndo1_1280.jpg (352 KB, 1280x880) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv98coHM4i1uojkndo1_1280.jpg
352 KB, 1280x880
>>14171169
I'd recommend the series as opposed to the movies. The movies are obviously condensed as opposed to the double-digits of material you get from the series.

Black_Knight, you are a terrible scourge on /m/ for forcing yourself on everyone.
>>
Watch G first, it's the best.
>>
>>14176034
Not him, but filters exist in [CURRENT YEAR].
>>
>>14176252
Yeah, but I use multiple machines. It's no real excuse anyway.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.