[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Ideon really that hard for the Japanese to understand on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
Was Ideon really that hard for the Japanese to understand on its original airing?
>>
Well evidently G-Reco was too tough for most American audiences to understand.

I blame Tomino for lacking good presentation and editing skills.

Either way
>being a plotfag
>thinking being a plotfag means turning your brain off
When will plotfags be purged?
>>
>>14166965

I'm not really interested in plot at all but I couldn't help wonder this after watching Aoi Honno and the main character making a comment about people being confused as hell when it originally premiered.

I for one, loved the psychedelic scenes.
One wonders what would've happened if Ideon had taken Gundam's place in terms of popularity, I would've liked some OVAs or something dealing with the Buff clan's internal struggle for power.
>>
>>14166952
>Was Ideon really that hard for the Japanese to understand on its original airing?

Ideon is Gundam done right. No wonder the Japanese never understood it.
>>
What's there to not get, the movie outright tells us the message. Unless people can let go of hate, we'll never stop until everyone is dead
>>
>>14166978
>taking something said in the jap equivalent of Big Bang Theory seriously
You're funny.
>>
>>14166978
What psychedelic scenes?
I don't remember anything about Ideon that was hard to comprehend.
I always imagined they didn't like it because of the dry and tense tone.It's just not what people like to call "fun".
>>
>>14167020
>What's there to not get, the movie outright tells us the message. Unless people can let go of hate, we'll never stop until everyone is dead

See you didn't understand the message.
>>
>>14167027
Are you talking about Aoi Honoo?
It's exaggerated but it was written by an anime enthusiast that actually knew and worked with people from the industry and actually watched and discussed those things as they aired.
What about it is like the Big Bang theory?
>>
>>14167078
Bad nonsensical memes for plebs
>>
>>14167063
Then tell me what it is.

Don't pussy out and go "figure it out", if my interpretation of what the movie flat-out tells me is wrong, then what is correct? Because if you can't tell me the answer, you're just shitposting.

and either way a creator's intent has no bearing on how an audience chooses to interpret it. Or as someone once told Asimov, "Just because you wrote it, what makes you think you have the slightest idea what it's about?"
>>
>>14167165
This argument is pointless.
Tomino has never been one of those 2deep4you fags.
It's always been about love and understanding and this whole "the old generation can't start a new era" thing.As simple as that.
It's his "stilted" writing that makes it special.
>>
>>14167165
>Then tell me what it is.

Hate has nothing to do with the story. The central concept of Ideon is that of misunderstanding between humans. Misunderstanding is the basis of human conflict. The tv show makes it pretty clear. Tomino in Ideon offers a different answer to the question : "can humanity overcome misunderstanding and therefore conflict ?". In Gundam the answer is yes via the Newtypes. In Ideon the answer is a resounding NO. Misunderstaing can only be overcome in death. So it's a pretty bleak view on humankind. Much more nihilistic than Gundam ever was.
>>
Oh whoops
there was already an ideon thread
whatever, new episode
>>
File: Ultra approval.jpg (18 KB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
Ultra approval.jpg
18 KB, 533x300
>>14167244
No big deal, thanks for that.
>>
>>14167238
This is nitpicking.>>14167063 meant pretty much the same thing.
In the first place it's misunderstanding that breeds hate.
Ideon is not nihilistic at all and Tomino's Gundam was never the simplistic tree-hugging garbage they've turned the franchise into those days.
In both works people are presented as inherently flawed and Newtypes are still human.No amount of magical bullcrap can heal this.
Evolution should happen naturally.If Newtypes weren't meant to be too bad.
We should care more about welfare,mental health and raising our children to be "good adults" rather than pointlessly worry about thing no one can really comprehend.
>>
>>14166952
>asks Murka what Japan's opinion of something is, when that thing is from over 9000 years ago

Does OP even leave his own house, ever?
>>
Maybe if the mecha design WAS ACTUALLY GOOD as in Gundam people would give a shit about it, especially the Buff clan mechs that were either shit or forgettable, there's not a single thing in the whole anime as iconic as a Zaku or a Dom, and the main mech is hideous too.
>>
File: ideon.jpg (924 KB, 914x1280) Image search: [Google]
ideon.jpg
924 KB, 914x1280
>>14167485
>the main mech is hideous too
Come at me,bro.
>>
>>14167494
It's just a GM with antennae and Convoy torso.
>>
>>14167494
The axe feet annoy me.
>>
>>14167502
>disliking axes of any kind
>>
>>14167502
Axe feet are the best part desu, makes it look more like the scrappy beast it is.
>>
https://warosu.org/lit/image/IIE46YKi43BKEuF6Qkuctg

"""/it/"""
>>
>>14167502
>Implying Ideon kicking shit to death isn't awesome
Hell it's one of the few mechs with blades on its feet that actually uses them
>>
Literally every episode is the same
>>
>>14167244
Oh shit, nice. Thanks.
>>
>>14166952

People understood it fine they just didn't like it.

saying the viewer doesn't understand it is something the director pulls out of his to hide the fact that he fucked up. *cough zack snyder*
>>
>>14167502

But it has a purpose, it's so kicking is that much more deadly
>>
>>14166952
They probably thought it was boring
>>
>>14167238
>In Gundam the answer is yes via the Newtypes
How the fuck do you get out of gundam with that? That's 00. With UC it's "no, not even when you have fucking psychics who reach each other's minds".
>>
>>14168833
>> How the fuck do you get out of gundam with that?

get a load of the guy who never understood Gundam.

Every single entry into the franchise has has 'UNDERSTANDING' as a plot point. That's exactly what is achieved by the battle connections between opposing new-types. THAT is why new-types feel ill when near each other, they are feeling the sum of emotions on the battle field.
>>
>>14167244
No problem, you only killed a useless Gundam thread.

Thanks, for the episode and cleaning this board.
>>
File: Aoi Honoo.jpg (513 KB, 1280x2880) Image search: [Google]
Aoi Honoo.jpg
513 KB, 1280x2880
>>
>>14168475
But the curves don't fit with the boxiness.
>>
>>14166952
Where did you get this idea from?

Also mecha shows started getting cancelled in the late 70s and throughout the 80s because of over-saturation. That's pretty much the only reason. Something like Ideon that is slow boiling and not very action centric would of course be doomed, that has no bearing on whether on the actual quality of the show though.
>>
>>14167485
That didn't stop Grendizer.
>>
>>14167214
This. Tomino's essentially a hippy. Humanity needs to let the children take over, stop fighting and develop a universal consciousness or the results will be horrible. If there could be a single message one could draw from Tomino's collective works, it would be that.
>>
>>14167238
>In Ideon the answer is a resounding NO.

> In the pre-interview we did, you described the ending of Ideon as being a hopeful ending despite all the bad things that happen to the characters. Is that true of all your works, that there's always some hope?

>When I created Ideon, I didn't understand the fundamental power of fantasy the way I do now. The ending of Ideon was still just a hopeless ending, and so it couldn't become a fantasy.
>>
Ideon would've really have benefit from having less quality moments, maybe less episodes. Or just fucking something happening in the fucking middle. The op gave me the impression that there was gonna be some Amuro and Char level of rivalry between Cosmo and Gije.
But Tomino gotta be a hack I suppose.
>>
>>14168946
Like hell it don't
>>
>>14168929

Is that Rumiko Takahashi?
>>
>>14171147
No, but she does look very similar. I did a double take when I first saw it because earlier that episode, or the episode before it, they were talking about Rumiko.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.