[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK I see so many newfags wanting to get into Gundam when they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8
File: gundam.jpg (277 KB, 799x1005) Image search: [Google]
gundam.jpg
277 KB, 799x1005
OK I see so many newfags wanting to get into Gundam when they come to /m/.

Don't do it, it's not worth it.

If you think the early gundam shows have weird narrative and pacing because of the time it was produced, think again. It has nothing to do with the 80s. Tomino was never a good director. Even when people watch G Reco, they think this is how 80s directing was like, which is wrong.

Just watch shows by the superior real robot director, Ryousuke Takahashi.
He did Votoms, Dougram, Layzner, Panzer World Galient, all of which are 80s shows, and yet don't suffer from retarded dialogue and pacing. They don't have weird directing like Tomino's and they're actually good and much better than the MSG trilogy.

Also, gundamfags here act like 5 year old kids.
>>
ITT: The truth
>>
>>14164757
Nah, it's easily the best Mecha franchise.
>>
>>14164757
>VOTOMS
>Didn't suffer from retarded pacing
>>
And the RX-78-2 looks like shit
>>
File: turn-a-gundam_2.jpg (304 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
turn-a-gundam_2.jpg
304 KB, 1024x768
But I liked Turn A, it was done well enough that Tomino's notable quirks became endearing rather than annoying.
>>
>>14165048
Turn A was boring as fuck.

It also had weird Tomino pacing.
>>
>>14164757
>Also, gundamfags here act like 5 year old kids.
Well this part is true at least
>>
>>14165406
all of it is
>>
>tfw only ever played the vidya games and have never watched any MSG shows but still buy gunpla
>>
>>14164757
>my brand of autism is better than yours
>>
>>14165874
This is the real truth. Not of this thread, but of /m/.
>>
>>14164757
I hear this Ryousuke guy is pretty good behind the wheel.

Or is it just rumor?
>>
>>14165874
>>14165904
then why are we even here? just to shitposts?
>>
>>14165950

Occasionally, infobook/manga scans that catch your interest pop up, new downloads relevant to your searching are available, you find a series that you didn't know of before that you think you can enjoy, or you happen to get the right tangent with the right crowd in the right thread with the right post using the right wit. Sometimes a few at the same time, sometimes without anything for months.

It's like prospecting for ores. Don't expect it on a regular or reliable basis.

Applies to the majority of 4chan, really.
>>
OP is probably baiting, but seriously what the fuck is up with Tomino's directing? It feels like he put zero effort into the dialogue or cinematography in any of his shows.
>>
>>14166087
it's not bait if i'm right
>>
>>
Say three good things about Zeta that isn't the music, Kamille, or the desings.
You can't say animation either because it sucks.
>>
>>14166087
I think there's one element he's been using for a while that kinda flies over people's heads because at times it can be subtle and other times it's front and center.
and I'm talking about distractions,or liveliness.
Tomino loves to make a sure there's a lot of movement in scenes even a simple scene like a character walking can have stuff and people moving in the background.
He also extends this to when they talk,
by having the characters talk as if just having ordinary conversations and sometimes getting distracted by something around them or just doing some idle activity while on screen
in a similar fashion to miyazaki's directing.
I guess it helps bring the shows environment to life, but most importantly it's how you know it's him and it also has its own flavor because of that,compare it to something like 00 where character movements, interactions and etc seem more controlled,
Tomino seems to allow the world to take control of itself as if he's simply showing us what's going on inside through a window.
A simple example of this is King Gainer a lot of the show isn't really explained to you through exposition except for some concepts like exodus,otherwise everything just happens.
They never really tell us what overmen are we kinda just find out and by the time they really elaborate on them a bit later we're already familiar and immerses in the world.

tl;dr tomino like to show us a world rather than create one

>>14166492
portrayal of the factions after the events of MSG
>>
>>14166492

The Asshimar

The Hamrabi

Based Yazan

Titan-color Gundam Mk. 2's

What do I win?
>>
>>14166496
It seems like his directing has no style or grace. See how deliberately all the shots are constructed in this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4
Has Tomino ever done anything on this level?
>>
>>14166518
Not that I can remember,something like that isn't really his style,like I said he prefers to be really disjointed.
I don't know why he just does,althoughthe final battle of MSG isn't like this
>>
>>14164757
I'd recommend Movie I, TV earth arc, Movie III
>>
>>14166518
Obviously not.
>>
I actually liked Tomino's pre-Gundam mech.
Daitarn 3 is probably the best thing he ever did (which isn't L-Gaim).
Zambot 3 is also not that bad.

And yeah, there are L-Gaim and Dumbine.
They at least worth checking out.
>>
>>14171170
Dumbine was bad
>>
UC gundam is convoluted as fuck
Newtypes are a garbage concept and ruined everything
>>
>>14166505
I would say a seat on the short bus because three of those are designs, which were off the table by his statement.
>>
>>14166492
>kamille
>good
stop that, it's not funny
>>
>>14173033
this desu
>>
>>14166492
Emma
Haman
The way it handles itself as a sequel, reversing the sides and expanding on 0079.
>>
Are people finally realizing that gundam is fucking shit?!
>>
>>14164757
Well 0079 and Z are hella 70s-80s.
0079 is more of a toy commercial. Every episode Gundam has to transform for some gay reason. Also the fucking Zeon palace is basically a scary face, so you know they are bad.

But the story is pretty interesting.
Z is OK, but honestly I just got bored half way through. And never finished it. 007 was a pretty fun ride even though visually its dated as fuck.
>>
>>14164757
>Just watch shows by the superior real robot director, Ryousuke Takahashi.
>He did Votoms,

A better series than it got treated. Blue Knight even better.

>Dougram,

Don't let BattleTech bullshit color your opinion of this...

>Layzner,

Like Hokkuto No Ken? So do WE!!!!!

>Panzer World Galient,

Not Dunbine... BIG TIME
>>
>>14174042
Dunbine was crap
>>
>>14173203
Is Haman the most underrated character in Gundam? I think so.
>>
>>14173033
Not really, it really just serves as an explanation for why the protagonists are so unstoppable. Natural aptitude + talent equals newtype. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>14166518
Yeah, and he has a funny face, too.
>>
File: 1456600537413.jpg (32 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1456600537413.jpg
32 KB, 567x561
>this thread
>>
File: 1426827402899.jpg (121 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1426827402899.jpg
121 KB, 704x480
>>
>>14164757
My only real problem with the franchise is how addicting gunpla is.
>>
>>14176469
no duh.
>>
>>14165048
Turn A was good I agree. But the mecha looked like turds. Especially Turn A. Probably would have sold better and got more recognized if the Gundam itself didn't look like an oversized mexican
>>
Excepting G Gundam, Gudam quality is generally inversely proportional to length. War in the Pocket is the best Gundam gets, 8th MS is pretty good, and Thunderbolt is worth watching.

They're also much less of a commitment than a 20-hour monster.

Even for G Gundam I'd admit that Giant Robo is better
>>
>>14164757

you sure? i watched votoms halfway through, and i cant get past that ptsd syndrome episodes. the choreography was good at the beginning, but becomes boring on the later episodes. The dialog was bland and boring, probably thats why it fits a normal people like you.
>>
/m/ is a hivemind with shit taste; so watch whatever you want and draw your own conclusion.
>>
>>14176605
The real problem. I have a shelf full of this shit and I can't stop. someone send help
>>
>>14179138
>i am autistic
>>
>>14179146
Stop (you)-ing yourself OP
>>
>>14164757

I like Takahashi the most but Tomino is literally second best. Watch all of the /m/ shows. Also not watching Gundam and being mecha fan is like not watching Star Wars just because you know Star Trek is better. Doesn't really make sense.
>>
>Initial D stuff has been popping up in every board lately

The fuck is going on?
>>
toku is shit too desu
>>
>>14174042
Are you shitting on HnK?
>>
>>14164757
Just watch both and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>14173033
Gundam works fine... if you just keep it to the original series.

Outside of that, it's a millstone around the neck of some good ideas.
>>
>>14185408
I love Takahashi shows and I like most Gundam shows and OVAs/films. Form your own opinion.
>>
>>14173312
The Movie Trilogy/Origins is IMO the superior version of Gundam, and one of my favorite anti-war/war stories ever. Gets rid of the toyetic element and the filler, and keeps the character and world story that is truly enthralling
>>
>>14185450
this
>>
0079 is all anyone needs to see. You may tell yourself while watching it that its all uphill from there, but no. 0079 could of been the first and last entry in the series and Gundam as a whole would be held in a higher regard than it is today.
>>
>>14164757
Mobil suit gundam is actually good faggot.

But I agree with you about the sequels.
>>
> worth it
> anime

dood get real.
>>
>>14189622
Yeah go watch quality stuff like that Captain America shit.
>>
>>14164757
I fail to see how Tomino can be called a bad director.
He can salvage a series, no matter what, into something enjoyable. Look at F91, despite being condensed from 50 to 13 episodes, then from 13 episodes into a movie, it manages to provide a competent enough plot to make some sort of sense, and he storyboarded some incredible action scenes to keep you glued to the screen.
Or 0079, which actually gets BETTER once the crunch arrived and he heard that the series would be canceled.
Not to mention his phenomenal budgeting skills, which allow for thrilling, well animated (relatively speaking) climaxes at the finale of whatever he's working on.

The things people don't like about him are his method of delivering exposition (wordy characters explaining things in some detail), and his character arcs (which is what Zeta gets attacked for), but if I must be honest, the characters he writes do actually have solid development and interesting personalities, but the way he writes this is subtle, and it's drip fed to you throughout whatever series you watch.
>>
>>14189714
Everything he writes is awkward and has no visual flow. Compared to Macross or Bebop, the battle scenes in Zeta feel like the cuts were done by a monkey.
>>
>>14189767
>Compared to Macross
Literally no one but macross fanboys find macross memorable for choreography and composition.
>>
>>14189714
>I fail to see how Tomino can be called a bad director.
ZZ
>>
>>14189774
Why pick a mediocre title like Gundam when he has actually directed garbage like Garzey's Wing? Unless you're just baiting like a faggot.
>>
>>14189714
>the way he writes this is vapid
FTFY
>>
>>14173043
"Kamil is a man's name meme"

Rudiculous amount of wacky punching scene.

there, just added the other two.
>>
>>14165020
>Nah, it's easily the best Mecha franchise.

No, it's the longest running franchise. Quality has nothing to do with it. After all take for example Star Trek a franchise that has been ongoing for over 50 years, longer than Gundam and God knows if it has had its fair share of stinkers over the various decades.
>>
>>14189767
macross was shit too
>>
>>14164757
>Layzner
>Panzer World Galient
>don't suffer from pacing

Nah son.
>>
>>14189792
Because, Anon, that would require actually watching the rest of his non-Gundam work.

Most of the critiques here just prefer to bitch.
There's days I'm not even sure how much of his Gundam stuff gets watched.
I don't doubt some people do, but for the number of errors I see from others, it's hard not to start suspecting people are just reading summaries and calling it a day.

>>14191863
>longest running

TECHNICALLY that would be more awarded to something like Mazinger, which has been turning out new titles off and on since '73. Or Hell, even Tetsujin for the number of times that's been revisited in some form or other.
I think the term you're looking for is 'most prolific'.
>>
>>14193407
They don't.

If you realized, they are way shorter than your average Gundam. They don't have time to suffer from pacing issues.

And Takahashi is a better director.
>>
>>14193553
>they don't have time to suffer from pacing issues

The Hell they don't.

If anything, their shorter length is part of WHY they have pacing problems.
Layzner and Galient were both written to be longer shows that got their episode counts slashed due to external circumstances.
Rather than feeling too slow, their last arcs feel like someone cut the brake cables and then sent down a steep hill.

I mean, can you seriously look at how Layzner TV ended and tell me, with a straight face, that it has no problems whatsoever with how it's paced?
>>
>>14189792
Garzey's Wing has all the elements that G-Reco gets praised for, so by this board's standards it's a 10/10.
>>
>>14166087
I don't think effort is the right word and also his writing and pacing are still more entertaining than most adapted to anime LNs. I feel like he just never grew up kinda like go nagai also not growing up much as a director.
>>14166447
/o/
>tfw no true fusion of rx.
>>
>>14193671
The hell they don't not
>>
>>14193728
The hell they not don't not.
>>
>>14193671
>Layzner TV
the ending was in the ova.
>>
>>14193731
No, the Hell they not don't not
>>
>>14193735
It wasn't meant to be that way though.
The OVA was made to make up for the fact the show got its kneecaps shot off when their sponsor went tits-up.
and even that only helps the rush to the end just so far.
>>
>>14193724
>all the elements that G-Reco gets praised for

But Garzey's Wing, despite being an OVA, has pretty shoddy looking animation a lot of the time.
>>
>>14193744
>it doesn't count because I say it doesn't
>>
>>14180464
Eurobeat is coming back.
Also /o/ crossboards a lot.
>>14189767
Yes zeta is a rollercoaster of directing quality but most his other works have quite a bit more consistency. Also man really knows how to make the music work for some scenes, just look at brain powered and victory.
>>
>>14193746
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lvJJhBWUJQ
>this is the kind of writing that /m/ thinks is "realistic" in G-Reco
>>
>>14193780
Maybe it's the effect of that particular scene or the dub, but that just seems like typical cliched anime dialogue to me.
>>
>>14179282

I'm tempted to start, but I'm guessing it's like 40k and I have to paint them, which I hate.
>>
>>14193816
You don't have to, it just helps. Vast majority of modern kits are molded in the correct colors.
>>
>>14191759

Did the funectomy hurt?
>>
>>14193824

But I have to assemble and glue them, right?

Wait, that isn't hard. Shit, time to buy some. What kind of supplies do I need?
>>
Looks like someone just finished watching the GR review of Turn A
>>
>>14193867
Hobby nippers and an exacto knife. Or, if you're a cheapskate, wire strippers/toenail clippers and a nail file. No modern gunpla requires glue or paint, but you can if you want to.

Take a look at the guide in the OP of the gunpla general, it covers all this good stuff.
>>
>>14193910

Do I have to learn Japanese and/or buy yen?
>>
>>14193780
Never heard anyone call it realistic for g reco in the first place same goes for most anime dialogue.
>>14193930
Ikea level instructions. Also amazon and b&n sell kits.
>>
>>14193930
Nope. There's tons of retailers everywhere that stock gunpla, from online stores like Amazon, Gundam Planet, and stores that import like HobbyLinkJapan. Even brick and mortar stores like Barnes and Noble, most hobby shops, and I've even heard of a couple Gamestop stores stocking a few. Just keep in mind that if you order from Amazon and it ships from Japan, it'll likely take several months to arrive.

As for the instructions, if you can interpret detailed step-by-step Ikea pictures (and you totally can), you're good to go.
>>
>>14193747
Hey, you touched the goalposts first here, pal.

I mentioned Layzner TV's ending specifically.

You pulled out the OVA as an out, rather than address the fact the second half of the TV series was rushed as fuck.
Plus, you misrepresented the OVA's reasons for existing - you present it as though the OVA was designed to be the ending all along, and that this excuses the problems with the TV series.
That's not the case.
The Layzner OVAs are presented as a retelling of the series with the third being a more fleshed out ending.
It's meant to replace the TV show's sloppily rushed finale, not be a sequel/epilogue.

If anything, the fact they had to do the ending over again in the first place proves my point.

Did you actually watch the show? Or is this just an attempt to start director fan wars? Cause you're putting in just the right mix of vague awareness of what you're talking about and actual effort that this could play to either side.
>>
>>14165950
My attention span isn't good enough to use a real forum like mechatalk.
>>
>>14164757
Galient sucks compared to at least 50% of all gundam anime
>>
>>14194441
Second half wasn't rushed. Only a dumb Gundam fag would think that. Also, there was a problem with one of sponsors, so the show got prematurely cut off. The ending was fixed in the ova. If anything it proves takahashi is miles ahead of tomino.
>>
>>14195728
>Tomino fixes his bait series in the TV run, doesn't need to alter the ending in his movies, becomes successful in granting (You)s by the thousands without even taking into account the ultimate bait franchise it spawned, crowned by the legendary Char's Counterbait and Gundam: BAIT Destiny
>Takahashi makes a feeble attempt at fixing his bait series with a bait OVA, only one anon shitposts about it in the modern day
Here's your extra-large (You), thank you for your patronage. Please order from Needless Fanbase Wars next time too, and remember our motto: "If you're looking for replies, just say ">doesn't like thing >calls it bait"!
>>
>>14195797
>doesn't need to alter the ending in his movies
Because he genuinely believes his endings are good.

That's the key difference.
>>
>>14195811
At least he doesn't believe his bait is any good, although I can't say that about you ;^)
>>
>>14195915
It's the truth.
>>
File: 1415792495088.jpg (54 KB, 527x663) Image search: [Google]
1415792495088.jpg
54 KB, 527x663
>>14164757
>VOTOMS
>Not retarded pacing
>MFW its a junkyard planet episode again
>>
File: mpv-shot0059.jpg (228 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0059.jpg
228 KB, 1440x1080
Uh, what the fuck did they do?
>>
>>14200159
>gbf
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.