[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Vol.1: Dawn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: th.jpg (18 KB, 196x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
18 KB, 196x300
How was it? Worth buying? eyeing the kindle version.
>>
If you like LoGH there's no reason not to buy it.
>>
bemp
>>
File: 1453570213711.png (75 KB, 899x955) Image search: [Google]
1453570213711.png
75 KB, 899x955
>buying text files
>>
>>14164114
I live traveling the word. I can't carry a physical collection around the world.
>>
>>14163937
Tanaka's military SF classic has been unavailable in English for decades, but given the poor quality of this new translation, it's hard to say whether that was truly a bad thing. The saga follows two young commanders on either side of a galactic war: Reinhard von Lohengramm of the Galactic Empire, and Yang Wen-li of the Free Planets Alliance. Upon their first meeting in battle, each man distinguishes himself by utilizing unorthodox tactical maneuvers (which have their basis in military history). A web of political infighting on both sides slowly reveals itself, but Huddleston's prose is so slavishly devoted to Tanaka's original Japanese text that the path towards the meat of the book quickly becomes a slog. It's easy to lose interest long before the action picks up (no thanks to the unnecessary, lengthy prologue, absent in the fan-favorite anime adaptation). It doesn't help that Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters, it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF.
>>
>>14164175
This screams of self-hating liberal nu-white-male
>>
>>14164175
>Not greentexting a proper quote
>Not archive.today-ing the actual review so they get no revenue when someone looks it up on Google
>Not explaining who the reviewer is
Your powerlevel is low.
>>
>>14164175
And this is why the Hugos need Sad Puppies and Rabid Puppies. I hope everyone on /m/ gets a vote next year and votes the slate so that we can send a message to critics that this isn't the sort of white-guilt BS we want influencing writers and publishers.

I'm not even white.
>>
File: 1433484038924.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433484038924.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>14164171
Buying dead tree format isn't much better in the age of free text files
>>
>>14164208
You won't find this book anywhere on the internet for free.
>>
>>14164175
Wrong, the story is about two men, Siegfried Kircheis and Reinhard von Lohengramm and their intergalactic non-homo man love story.
>>
>>14164200
Go space raptor butt invasion!

Slates are stupid, just read all the entries and vote for what you think is best.
>>
>>14164200
Exploiting the flaws of democracy doesn't erase the millenial zeitgeist.

Now, restricting the ability to vote based on merit, now there's a solution that would fix so much of the bullshit present in society these days.
>>
>>14163937
It's definitely worth buying, IMO. I left a long review on amazon, but the tl;dr is that it's a very good companion to the anime. There's a lot of worldbuilding and details that make it very much worth a purchase.
>>
>>14164235
And explain what merit would result in universally better voting decisions, O Wise One, and one that can't be controlled by outside influences. And one that wouldn't cause unrest in the sidelined population.
Citizenship would be a nice requirement to maintain though, thanks Obama
>>
>>14164242
Just give me voters with at minimum a degree relevant to the subject the vote concerns.

All votes are made in the form of a several page essay explaining how the voter came to their decision. If you can't articulate in an educated manner why you voted the way you did, then your vote is discarded.
>>
I liked it
>>
>>14164259
Whew, thank goodness there are no problems at all with that approach. Not like anyone can rig the system in a hundred different ways, or that it would discourage voting, or that it would disenfranchise people in ways the Constitution (or whatever your country has) protects, or result in impossible increases in how long it would take to critique and review the votes, or that you could literally buy people's votes, or make money off of writing essays for those who don't want to.

Oh, is that for elections or are primaries included? Do electoral college members have to write a thesis to get picked?

Yes, that all seems reasonable. Now you just have to make the 60-85% of voters you just prevented from voting happy.
>>
>>14164339
>baww

It's idiots like you that enable Trumpfaggotry.
>>
>>14165407
Pablo pls
>>
>>14165407
Trump's successful campaign is entirely a result of elitist politics that has ignored a huge swath of the American population and a slavish devotion to capitalism that has made any kind of class consciousness taboo. Trying to codify that elitism into literal disenfranchisement would just make it a physically violent upheaval of the status quo instead of a political one.
>>
>>14165946

Millions of Americans are pissed off with their system, and corporate and establishment bullshit isn't working like it used to. That's why outsider candidates like Bernie and Trump are suddenly able to get so much traction, when formerly, they'd be laughed out immediately.
>>
>>14166295

Hmm, having said that, this *is* the same country that elected Movie star Reagan and made freakin Arnold a governor.
>>
>>14165946
> ignored a huge swath of the American population

The population is literally too fucking retarded to warrant recognition unless you want to fuck the whole nation up its own asshole.

These people deserve to be disenfranchised for as long as they believe their boneheaded beliefs warrant serious consideration. Fact of the matter is that despite the people having been deluded into thinking representation should mean "representing what I, the voter, believe in" these positions of power require "representing what the nation -needs-." The needs of a nation are not necessarily the same as the needs of its people.
>>
>>14166349
VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.
>>
File: logh.png (5 KB, 703x59) Image search: [Google]
logh.png
5 KB, 703x59
>>14164221
>anywhere
You just need to know where to look.
>>
>>14166349
If the people are too stupid to vote, why even have any kind of democracy whatsoever? Why not return to the age of kings whos supposedly got their authority from a higher power while we're at it?
>>
>>14166482
Democracy is a flawed system, I prefer the slightly less flawed but still kinda inherently flawed Republic.
>>
>>14166482
On its surface there's nothing wrong with that, assuming you get good leaders. Problem is hereditary monarchy is,let's face it, kind of a crapshoot. They aren't all going to be Henry V.
>>
>>14165407
>hating trump
>not supporting the literal birth of the Goldenbaum dynasty
>>
i like it when /m/ talks about politicks
>>
>>14166548
To be fair the electoral college patches up my problems in theory, since popular opinion has to still clear the EC's own evaluation of candidates and whatnot.

Checks and balances, I absolutely love them. Everything should be paired with something else to keep both of them fair and efficient for all.
>>
>>14166555

You like like when people talk about something that shouldn't be on the board? Nice trips by the way.
>>
>>14164235
Goldenbaum pls go
>>
>>14166436
Gibsmedat
>>
>>14166349

> The population is literally too fucking retarded to warrant recognition unless you want to fuck the whole nation up its own asshole.

Most of the candidates America does have are just the same, and the country already is fucked up its own asshole regardless, so recognising them changes nothing. The leadership is just as much a problem as the voters. And always has been. See Warren Harding, how he got in to office and what he did while there.
>>
>>14164208

> I'm not paying for anything and no-one else should either
>>
File: 1461550422925.jpg (38 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1461550422925.jpg
38 KB, 600x375
>>14164200
>Sad Puppies

fuckiinnnnnn DROPPED

you manbabies need to get chilled
>>
>>14164200
>white-guilt BS

nigga did you even read the goddamn book

it hasn't aged that well
>>
ITT proof /pol/tards should be gassed.
>>
>>14166565
>Checks and balances, I absolutely love them. Everything should be paired with something else to keep both of them fair and efficient for all.

Isaac: Listen to me. This is real freedom, freedom to own property, make a profit, make your life. The West, so afraid of strong government, now has no government. Only financial power.
JC Denton: Our governments have limited power by design.
Isaac: Rhetoric--and you believe it! Don’t you know where those slogans come from?
JC Denton: I give up.
Isaac: Well-paid researchers - how do you say it? - 'think tanks,' funded by big businesses. What is that? A 'think tank'?
JC Denton: Hardly as sinister as a dictator, like China’s Premier.
Isaac: It’s privately-funded propaganda. The Trilateral Commission in the United States for instance.
JC Denton: The separation of powers acknowledges the petty ambitions of individuals; that’s its strength.
Isaac: A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.
JC Denton: Perhaps certain qualities are an inseparable part of human nature.
Isaac: The mark of the educated man is the suppression of these qualities in favor of better ones. The same is true of civilization.
>>
File: 1461406826141.jpg (20 KB, 385x278) Image search: [Google]
1461406826141.jpg
20 KB, 385x278
>>14168244
A delicious irony we all look forward to in our heart of hearts
>>
>>14168613
AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE HARVESTERS
>>
ITT: Proof that going off topic is bad.
>>
>>14164200
>white-guilt
lolwut
Only the original Emperor guy was a real Nazi, and he gets what's coming to him by his inability to produce effective progeny in his dynasty.

Yang gets shit on all the time because he's surrounded by incompetent bureaucrats in a stagnating pseudo-democracy that's been hijacked by propagandists hoping to stay in power with election popularity rather than actually protecting where they live.

Reinhard is a pure meritocratist (if a tad snobby) and has to work against the bullshit of having his sister be a hostage, his best buds perpetually getting into shit (particularly Kircheis), and his own selfishness sort of making him lose the details in his big ideas (such as how the hell humanity is really going to function as a united entity after his fucking death).
>>
>>14170675

No, we have a plague spread by the Illuminati to kill the poor instead
>>
>>14166436
>mpeg layer 3
>>
>>14172477
>mpeg layer 3
It's actually MPEG-2 Audio Layer III
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.