[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are burgers so determined to rehash 80s or early 90s design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: armarauders.jpg (699 KB, 1483x750) Image search: [Google]
armarauders.jpg
699 KB, 1483x750
Why are burgers so determined to rehash 80s or early 90s design style in all the bad aspects?

Also question for Bionicle folk: In what ways did the Burger dude on the staff turn it into capeshit? How capeshitty are we talking about?
>>
>>14151941
Those designs look cool though.
>>
>>14151941
It's not that capeshitty, it just ended up explaining a lot of the stuff that was previously weird and mysterious, sometimes in ways that wound up being goofy even if they made sense. The whole setting we'd known being a robot lying on the actual planet, for instance. It also introduced an assload of characters, alternate dimensions, all sorts of weird shit. Most of it at least sort of makes sense, but it's an entirely different tone from what the line started out as.

As for why everything burgermade is stuck in the 80s: probably because the people doing these designs are in their 30s and 40s.
>>
>>14151941
>In what ways did the Burger dude on the staff turn it into capeshit?
Unity and Duty went out the window, and it was only DESTINY.
>How capeshitty are we talking about?
Something like Marvel's Celestials fighting each other ended up being the final arc.

Also this >>14151947, at least concerning the "mechs" ;^)
>>
>>14151958
>make a mecha design
>it's not asinine and 80s/90s enough for their tastes
>they start trying to school me on a mecha 101 thing, but they ironically bring up Battletech

asdsafassdfsfsas I want off this planet.
>>
>>14152073
>mfw what they really wanted was a cut and paste frankenbot design of stuff they think is cool
>OC donut steal intensifies

Much plagiarism insisted
>>
>>14151941
The producer, and the concept company of that are out of Singapore. Blame them, not the amerifats.
>>
>>14151941
Why do you speak exclusively in buzzwords?
>>
>>14152119
Just following the same procedure most /m/ thread openers do.
>>
>>14152106
I saw the company makeup. Only the head guy is in Singapore. Everybody else are near-middle aged burgerfats.
>>
>>14151941
>capeshit
When I see people complaining about this, I always assume they mean how the original mysterious tone got thrown out and the later parts of the story read like an ode to some retarded 80s-90s edgy comic book. Tons of pointless OCs even though the writer complained that he had way too many character to work with anyway. Stupid dimension-hopping, dead characters turning up alive and others being killed in pointless ways. Every other character was some nihilistic, sarcastic asshole who always made references to killing and causing pain or spouted cheap one-liners.

Everything had to be subversive, edgy and dark. Mystical stuff had to have sci-fi sounding explanations, almost all of which were fucking stupid, especially when they tried to make it look serious. A planet blowing up into moons but the people surviving. Planet-sized robots being built in secret under a short amount of time. Multi-thousand year-olds being inexperienced kids. People moping over what they did 100 000 years ago.

I mean, stuff like the giant robot reveal was part of the core concept, but the way it was handled marked a radical shift in tone. Previously, this unseen entity was always referred to as a mysterious god, and then, instead of applying the same sort of gravitas to describing his actual being, he was simply casually referred to as a "giant robot". Felt so cynical, like they just wanted to get rid of all the mysticism as fast as possible, and skip to the next fight scene, the next absurd plot twist, the next pointless killing-off of an interesting character. The story serials were essentially fan fiction-tier canon stories with no sense of plot, just pandering to the most autistic fans and cheap shock value.
>>
>>14152243
>Mystical stuff had to have sci-fi sounding explanations
> get rid of all the mysticism as fast as possible

What causes this? Writers' autism, or something else?
>>
>>14152259
The writer said the universe bible made no mention of magic or any "real" mystical stuff, so he didn't feel the need to keep that atmosphere.

The later parts of the fiction felt like a dumping ground for things he didn't get to write about in his previous jobs. Like he had some checklist of stuff he wanted to do, regardless of whether they fit into the pre-established tone or universe. He didn't plan ahead, just kept churning out these ideas. Some of it was pretty nice or interesting, but underdeveloped and overshadowed by retarded plot detours and absurd reveals.

I remember he strongly spoke out against time traveling plots, because those break the story, but he kept spamming alternate dimensions out the ass.
>>
>>14152322
Well that's absurd in hindsight.
>>
>>14152243
Kinda sounds like what they do in Doctor Who. Everything is SCIENCE except when the Doctor is actually recognized as Merlin by Round Table Knights (though the Doctor hasn't been Merlin yet), and King Arthur is real. Something they haven't brought up in NuWho, either, much to my sadness.

I wonder if that's what they're going to do in Marvel films what with Thor's Asgard being ADVANCED COSMIC CIVILIZATION. Will Doctor Strange's sorcery and black magic actually be COSMIC SPACE SCIENCE?
>>
>>14152119
I don't see a single buzzword in that OP.
>>
File: BurgerGearAssault.jpg (513 KB, 1280x2560) Image search: [Google]
BurgerGearAssault.jpg
513 KB, 1280x2560
There's something off about the new Burger-made designs for that Heavy Gear MMO. I can't quite put my finger on it. You guys?
>>
i'm actually pretty impressed by these designs, but they're also donut steal, so i guess they're still trash.
>>
>>14154080
They look like SD versions of actual designs.
>>
>>14154080

they look like toys or something
>>
>>14154080
>BurgerGearAssault

For god sake Heavy Gear 2 is difficult to get it run even in the virtual pc.Atleast HG1 runs well in it.
>>
File: russian spare parts as usual.png (4 MB, 1020x1812) Image search: [Google]
russian spare parts as usual.png
4 MB, 1020x1812
>>14151941
Because apart from transformer no other mecha comes as western.Mecha itself now-a-days means weeb shit to western audience.
>>
>>14151941
Nostalgia. The artists of today grew up during that time and so they want to make it again.
>>
File: 1364708425929.gif (989 KB, 300x212) Image search: [Google]
1364708425929.gif
989 KB, 300x212
>>14156519
>india mecha
>not a poop in a loo bot
you had one job and you failed
>>
>>14156616
read the file name.
>>
>>14156519
>now-a-days
>>
>>14151941
Why are yurocucks so determined to be whiny faggots?
>>
File: burgerRobot_3d_Camou_860.jpg (107 KB, 860x484) Image search: [Google]
burgerRobot_3d_Camou_860.jpg
107 KB, 860x484
>>14151941

I know I'm a huge loser faggot for not knowing this already, but... When OP said "burgers," what did he mean? Americans?
>>
>>14154080

Ew, oh god, those look like poo-poo!
>>
File: burgers.jpg (52 KB, 625x415) Image search: [Google]
burgers.jpg
52 KB, 625x415
>>14160168
Yes.
>>
>>14160151
>Why do yurocucks like being raped by Muhammad?

FTFY
>>
>>14160283
The day we stop being Israel's World Police department will be a great day indeed.
>>
>>14160322
>>>/v/
>>>/vr/
>>>/pol/
>>>/tv/
>>>/b/
>>>/s4s/

Leave.
>>
>>14151941

Er, weren't you guys complaining about how today's mecha anime looked crap compared to 80s-90s designs, in that they were too busy looking and relied too much on greebles?
>>
>>14154117
What bugs me is why burgers like to give their bots stubby little toes, or feet that are just flat metal plates?
>>
>>14154080
The leg and body seems disporpotioned.

Its better if the leg was bigger or wider, like original heavy gear, or like the board game one.
>>
>>14160953
I complain about that all the time personally, but,
>/m/ is one person

OP designs aren't to my taste, either.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.