[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It seems to me that enders game had most realistic space battles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13
It seems to me that enders game had most realistic space battles as far as western films go:

- Drones insteead piloted crafts that woudl be vulnerable g-forces, had increased mass by life support etc
- Fighters ast like spaceshps, not airplanes (not banking when turning, vernier thrusters used to maneuver)
- Using actual 3 dimensional environment like flanking enemy from below asteroid belt

Also carrier design was just sweet. And geometrical precision of drone formations opposed to swarms of formic fighters was nice contract.
>>
I read the series many years ago, I heard a lot of people didn't dig the movie.

Barring its likely problems as an adaptation, how was the movie overall?
>>
>>14150692
I've seen about ten minutes of it on cable. Apparently they left in the video game that they communicate to him in it.
And the minute or so I saw of the battle school games seemed pretty cool. Probably looked badass in imax doubleplus 3d whatever.
>>
It did a decent job of trying to portray realistic space warfare.

My only real complaint is the absurdity of it all. Putting an entire generation of children through all that. Just so the war can be won by hitting the Formic homeworld with the superweapon.

They had the Formic mostly trapped on their homeworld. They could have waited till they built a second or maybe even third superweapon ship. then just take them all to the homeworld and take turns blasting swarms. To eventually hit the planet.
>>
File: 02_by_do_mo-d9h1luw.jpg (3 MB, 7680x4320) Image search: [Google]
02_by_do_mo-d9h1luw.jpg
3 MB, 7680x4320
>>14150548
- G-force doesn`t matter much in space, since in most cases you won`t experience more than 2-3g along the long axis of your ship. Drones, however, aren`t bad, because they don`t need a propellant for trip home. Just make them expendable missile busses, loaded with nuclear shaped charges!
- Fiters are completely useless concept in space. Larger ships can have same maneuverability, while achieving the same or better acceleration, better Delta-V and carrying guns with longer range. Sorry, space isn`t an ocean, aircraft carrier logic won`t work here.
- Asteroid belt is like 1 asteroid in a few millions cubic kilometers of pure nothingness. In most cases, you won`t be able to see a "close by" asteroid with bare eyes, while standing on the surface of another. Maneuvers you describe are somewhat strange.

Ship design isn`t bad, thou "carrier" is a wrong approach. Also, "formation" is the least wanted thing, if an opponent can and will hit you from 1-2 light seconds away. Chaotic moton is the best defence.

Picrelated is more or less "plausible" spacecraft, meant for combat. Note the droplet radiators. Without radiators, your precious ship will just waporize, due to the amount of waste heat it produce.
>>
>>14150759
they're weren't in an asteroid belt

they aliens were harvesting ice from a dense planet ring. so the human ships went under the ring and shot up and through it.
>>
>>14150759
>- Asteroid belt is like 1 asteroid in a few millions cubic kilometers of pure nothingness. In most cases, you won`t be able to see a "close by" asteroid with bare eyes, while standing on the surface of another. Maneuvers you describe are somewhat strange.

Well this was actually planetary ring, not asteroid belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T6_QvUzvCw
>>
File: pole39 (1).jpg (878 KB, 2000x2377) Image search: [Google]
pole39 (1).jpg
878 KB, 2000x2377
>>14150759
Realistic space weapoms thread?
>>
>>14150548
reminder that Orson Scott Card is a whack-job religous zealot that relates homosexuality to child-abuse and beastiality.
>>
one thing i never understood about series with warfare on an intergalactic scale is why anybody even needs planet-scale doomsday weapons

if you know where the target is and you're willing to give it a little time, why not just put some rockets on an asteroid and accelerate slowly from very far away until you hit the planet with c-fractional velocity?

a lot cheaper and you don't even have to risk any of your own lives, and it's practically impossible to defend against unless they catch you at it earlier
>>
>>14150809
>relating homosexuality to child-abuse and beastiality.

So?
>>
File: homosexuality is unnatural.jpg (89 KB, 852x504) Image search: [Google]
homosexuality is unnatural.jpg
89 KB, 852x504
>>14150809
What does that have to do with the depiction of space warfare in Enders Game?
also he's completely right.
>>
File: OrionBattleship[1].jpg (42 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
OrionBattleship[1].jpg
42 KB, 400x276
>>14150796
Project Orion.

space ships propelled by nuclear shape charges. carrying naval gun turrets and space fighters.

Because the early Cold War was a crazy time.
>>
>>14150816
so the majority of the worlds' governments now diagree with that view, as beastiality remains illegal in most of the world, making his religion-excused bigotry less tolerable than ever.
>>
File: bruce_2428520b.jpg (79 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
bruce_2428520b.jpg
79 KB, 620x387
>>14150815
>>
>>14150815
because the idea of space faring races waging war by Extinction Via Asteroid, is just not good for story telling and visuals.
>>
>>14150759
>>14150796
>>14150823
So you're saying that, out of all sci-fi films, Iron Sky is probably the one with the most realistic space battleships?
>>
>>14150823
I wonder if it was really feasible with materials and engineering of that time.

know that they had working prototype using conventional explosives but these hip were supposed to be skyscraper sized.

By thw way, imagine green peace reaction to this
>>
>>14150824
Again, so what?
What does this have to do with the movie, or space warfare in general?

Anyways, have your (You), I'll give it as a courtesy.
>>
File: Keyes_Loop.jpg (335 KB, 1335x1765) Image search: [Google]
Keyes_Loop.jpg
335 KB, 1335x1765
I really wish more films/shows would take advantage of spaceship warfare
>>
>>14150836
nuclear rockets and project orion drive is politically dead, thanks to the anti nuclear hippies.

We could have visited Mars already if we used nuclear power.
>>
>>14150759

In Ender's case, the ships were apparently crewed. They figured they'd just let them colonize the ant's planets after the genocide.

>>14150830
Eh, The Stars my Destination depicted space wars as people chugging missiles at each other through space. Worked out fine because it had a story, which straight up military fiction is oftentimes lacking.
>>
>>14150858
Why was captain Keyes so based?
>>
>>14150860
Just don't tell Ender that he let trillions of dollars in spaceship and thosuands of people die.
>>
>>14150863
>Why was Keyes based?
He was Stacker.
>>
>>14150859
with Orion we could already had interstellar probes
\
>>
>>14150833
Design wise YES! Granted they could be a bit more bilaterally symmetrical, but for near atmosphere patrol boats / fast attack ships They are pretty great.
>>
>>14150884
yeah, but it isn't fast enough to put people on for travel outside the solar system.

unless you want to generation ship.
>>
>>14150754
Golden rule of fiction: kids are assholes.

To tap into the raw assholedom of an entire generation of youth is to unleash the full cosmic terror of the human race upon whatever had the misfortune of pissing us off.
>>
>>14150859

I find that a highly questionable assertion.

>>14150860

I'd hardly describe The Stars My Destination as military fiction. It doesn't even feature much in the way of a military presence. The space combat worked out fine because there wasn't much of it and it wasn't that important to the overall narrative, not because there was a story.
>>
>>14150892
I don't really think that launching orion from earth surface is good idea, we will probably need to wait for space elevators t lift larger quantity of cargo.

But as space based system, why not. But no,hur dur no nukes in space.

When anti nuclear test treaty was signed, one of the official reasons was to avoid "polluting space"..

Forget orion, we had working nerva prototypes.
>>
File: latest[1].png (72 KB, 468x173) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
72 KB, 468x173
the ships look dumb as all get out but i'll be damned if the honor harrington series doesn't have some neat and fairly well thought out space combat
>>
>>14150924
Horatio Hornblower in space.
>>
>>14150924
Space dildos.
Weber also has shit prose but that isn;t exactly rare amongst Baen "writers".
>>
>>14150938

all the book jackets make this claim, and as somebody who got into the honorverse immediately after devouring every hornblower book within the span of 2 weeks, i can say that it just is not the case

hornblower and harrington share a sense of duty and tactical genius, but the similarity pretty much ends there. hornblower is always dealing with his fear for his own life and crippling self doubt, while honor is a mary sue who can literally do no wrong nor lose a battle

hornblower was also thoroughly readable because the action and adventure practically never stops, but the honorverse after the first couple books starts to get bogged down in hundreds of pages of political "intrigue" with horribly written caricature villians. the universe is interesting and weber is at his best writing combat, and it is a real shame that there's barely any combat to be found after the first couple books. it becomes a soap opera.

horatio hornblower is a 10/10 series. harrington starts out maybe 8/10 and ends up 5/10. i stick around only because i find the setting and developing space tactics fascinating, but anything to do with the "characters" if you can call them that bores me to tears
>>
>>14150963
Try Weber's Safehold books.

Android in King Arthur's Court, starts the 30 Years War.
>>
>>14150900
What I'm saying is that the problem is military fiction and its tropes in general, not space war as interstellar nations chugging very fast objects at each other over long distances.

Honestly, we already do that today and the one major trend is having the ability to change the blast radius on the fly. So basically future space nations got no reason to not let the missiles fly as long as they're designed along current tech trends, because if they and the other dudes make up before the missiles hit, they can just signal them to explode prematurely or to harmlessly self-destruct upon contact with the atmosphere.
>>
File: 1290815655258.jpg (168 KB, 1754x1240) Image search: [Google]
1290815655258.jpg
168 KB, 1754x1240
>>14150768
>>14150774
For planetary ring - that may be an option. Still, in "realistic" space combat, distances involved would be too large for any strategic maneuvers. Delta-V budget won`t allow such drastic change of trajectory. By "long distances" I mean REALLY long. In one of those previous "realistic space combat" treads, guys calculated the probability of maneuvering ship being hit by laser, depending on acceleration and distance. As you can see, the ship, maneuvering at 1 g acceleration, could be hit with 100% accuracy at ~2.6 light seconds away. Just for comparisson - Moon is ~ 2 light seconds from Earth.
>>
>>14151070
>>maneuvering at 1 g acceleration, could be hit with 100% accuracy

Read as 0.1 g acceleration. My mistake. At 1 g 100% hit will be at 0.8 light seconds.
>>
File: 1290814024916.jpg (132 KB, 1754x1240) Image search: [Google]
1290814024916.jpg
132 KB, 1754x1240
>>14151089
And here is a multi-g target example.
>>
File: 1290451435687.jpg (163 KB, 650x526) Image search: [Google]
1290451435687.jpg
163 KB, 650x526
>>
>>14150720
>>14150754
I guess I ought to check out the movie sometime--I never did when it was first released. Ender's Game was my absolute favorite book as a kid, I guess I owe it to Card to watch his movie.
>>
>>14151153

i wouldnt. i loved the book(s) and only came away from the movie mad because it was garbage.

the writing wasn't great to begin with, and then you can only do so much with child actors. it wasn't good.
>>
>>14151153
I guess you can't outgrow pleb taste.

>>14151182
>nocaps
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>14151191
Hey, there's worse stuff out there than Ender's Game, at least back when I was that age.
>>
>>14151153
I only wanted to see it for the 3d space fights and Harrison Ford in a space movie because that's certainly never going to happen again unless there was some crazy shit like an Episode 7 or something. So when I missed the boat I stopped caring.
>>
>>14150872
Didn't Beans tell his capital ship crew may God be with them as he suicided them?
>>
>>14151212
I was just takin the piss because you're a tripfag.

I even went and read Ender in Exile years later.

I thought he was doing something more with Bean, but I didn't keep up.

I've got a collected edition of some of his short work and it's actually pretty damn solid.
>>
>>14151643
Haha. But yeah, Card's an alright writer--I haven't read much of his other Enderverse stuff aside from the ones in the main series and Ender's Shadow, but when I was younger I did read one of his horror novels, Treasure Box, which freaked me out at the time.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.