[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on the 1998 Godzilla, /m/? Personally,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 24
What are your thoughts on the 1998 Godzilla, /m/? Personally, I loved it.
>>
Cartoon tie-in was better.
>>
File: gzla_012.jpg (60 KB, 792x486) Image search: [Google]
gzla_012.jpg
60 KB, 792x486
>>14147544
I have no source to back this up, it's just some shit that I heard, but I like to believe that it's true: Supposedly the guy who designed the 1998 Godzilla was really happy that his monster appeared in Godzilla: Final Wars, even as a joke about how weak it was, because he was a huge fan of the franchise and he was just happy that his monster got to be in a proper Japanese Godzilla movie.

Could be lies, but I would like it if it were true.
>>
i thought it was p boring
>>
>>14147544
The cartoon was great, I liked the movie too at the time but I was seven years old then. not seen it since
I liked the phantom menace at the time too, I'd not seen any Star Wars beforehand either. Now obviously I see that it's really not a good movie at all but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there regardless.
Used to to scoff at all the people that claim their childhood had been raped but after Jurassic world I understand where they're coming from a little more. I can't believe they're remaking jumanji too, with the rock. I mean he seems like a cool guy but come on. It's not even the only pointless remake he's going to be in too, they're remaking big trouble in little China with him as well. These reboots have gotten well out of hand
>>
>>14147571
Wait, I though 'Zilla was all CG, there was suit work in it too?
>>
File: 1441164208805.gif (402 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1441164208805.gif
402 KB, 300x169
>>14147544
I've loved Godzilla my entire life. One of the very first cinematic experiences I can remember is the showa Godzilla vs. Monster X when I was around 4 years old. From then on there was never a single moment in my life that Big G hasn't been a part of.

Even through all of that love and dedication to the monster, I STILL think Godzilla 1998 was utter dog shit.
>>
File: Godzillabitetruck.jpg (124 KB, 1200x788) Image search: [Google]
Godzillabitetruck.jpg
124 KB, 1200x788
>>14147643
1998 CGI was pretty shit, so practicals were still used frequently even in big-budget movies. Jar Jar Binks was the first-ever all-CGI character, and that was a year later.
>>
>>14147544
It was a fantastic movie and I say this as a Godzilla fan.
>>
>>14147781
But all of the effects in that movie looked like shit, suit work in the 90s looked good. I'm so confused right now...
>>
File: GUDZILLR.png (525 KB, 500x605) Image search: [Google]
GUDZILLR.png
525 KB, 500x605
>>14147793
A quick look at the Wikipedia page should clarify matters:

>For scenes that required practical effects, Tatopoulos' studio created a 6th-scale animatronic of Godzilla's upper-body as well as a 24th-scale Godzilla suit donned by stuntman Kurt Carley, however, the filmmakers favored CG over practical effects and as a result, the final film features 400 digital shots, 185 of which feature Godzilla, and only two dozen of practical effects used in the final film.
>>
File: zero1.jpg (27 KB, 303x555) Image search: [Google]
zero1.jpg
27 KB, 303x555
>>14147660
>I can remember is the showa Godzilla vs. Monster X when I was around 4 years old.
I'm sure it's an honest mistake, but I think it's funny that you got the title wrong when talking about what a big impact Godzilla vs. Monster Zero had on you. I guess it's to be expected when Monster Zero isn't even the monster's name.
>>
iirc Monster X was a Gamera title, the dub name for the one at Expo 70
>>
>>14147544
Loved it as a kid. This was THE Godzilla for me 'cause I had no way of seeing the Japanese ones at the time. I didn't even know anything about them, other than that they existed and that they looked like shit to my kid eyes. So it goes without saying that I liked how the movie was different. Years later, when I started using the net, I was actually very surprised to see all the negativity about the film, since I never knew anyone who hated it.

Yeah, I know all about its faults now, what a missed opportunity it was, and how baffling some (or rather most) of the creators' decisions were. Still, it's the only G movie I have fond childhood memories of, and I love the monster design, just not as Godzilla.

>>14147793
There was apparently some technical error when they printed the movie on film, which allegedly caused most of the CGI to look like trash. Some people say the corrected version on the Blu-ray looks rather good, but I haven't seen any comparisons between the versions myself.
>>
>>14147544
The monster design and cartoon was cool.
>>
>>14147544
The Batman V Superman of its time.
>>
I like it when I see it now, but mostly because it reminds me of the cartoon.
>>
>>14147544
Not really Godzilla but a pretty good kaiju film, and agreeing with others that the cartoon series was excellent. Overall I enjoyed it more than than the 2014 version (mostly character wise).

>>14147946
I still don't understand why people shit on that fim so much. It wasn't perfect but there are a hell of a lot worse superhero fims with better reviews.
>>
>>14148122
>I still don't understand why people shit on that fim so much. It wasn't perfect but there are a hell of a lot worse superhero fims with better reviews.
It goes directly against what most people want out of the movie, so people pick on its flaws much more harshly. They needed to prove that their take was good enough to turn audience's opinions around, rather than just following what the public wanted, and they just weren't good enough to do that.
>>
>>14148129
I went in with no expectations and I enjoyed it. Liked it better than most recent superhero flicks, save GotG.
>>
>>14147544
I liked it.
>>
>>14148122
babby's first fanboy loyalism (bar sports)

What was an 8/10 or 7/10 they percieved as far worse.
>>
>>14148256
>an 8/10 or 7/10

I liked the movie, and even I can tell that you're giving it too much credit.
>>
File: MonsterX[1].jpg (19 KB, 584x281) Image search: [Google]
MonsterX[1].jpg
19 KB, 584x281
>>14147815
To be fair, he started as Monster X in Final Wars.
>>
That's a lot of fish.
>>
i catched the movie on tv recently and wanted to give it a go, i remembered enjoying it when i was a child (but then what is not entertaining for a little shit?), and i wanted to see why it was so hated. i felt that the set up at the beggining was like most godzilla/monster movies (shit happens, people investigating what the fuck happened), but it's started falling apart when zilla finally showed up, the fact that he flees of the millitary instead of stomping shit like good ol' godzilla would in that case must have been the first sign for the oldfans to get mad, goji is more like a wall of fuck you roaming around cities and destroying them, imo. but the moment i would say that the movie goes100% to shit is at the stadium, it felt more like jurasic park with the baby zillas searching and killing the people. doesn't help that before that, the music that plays when zilla was eating the fish had some similar notes of JP's main theme.
i liked the part when zilla emerged from the stadium though
i remember enjoying the series as well
i can understand the hate of the movie because it is really way too different for a godzilla movie. still, i think people have gone overboard with it. and also zilla's design is still cool, seeing the poor fuck getting trashed because of the film makes me sad,
>>
>>14147815
Yeah I got him mixed up with Planet X. I think Planet X then get Monster Zero mixed up with Monster X.
>>
>>14147544
Personally, it's an okay monster movie, a shitty Godzilla movie. I mean, it honestly is just kinda generic, incorporating nothing that's intrinsic to Godzilla.
AVGN said it best. It could have been a Beast from 20,000 Fathoms remake for all that Emmerich cared. He just wanted the name alone.
>>
File: this nigger serious.jpg (25 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
this nigger serious.jpg
25 KB, 195x195
>>14148732
>AVGN
Back to /v/.

>>14148213
>went in with no expectations
Too bad everyone else judged it with Godzilla nostalgia goggles on. It's a pretty good movie, not as a Godzilla movie. Does that still mean Godzilla baby men have to hate it? No, but they do it regardless.

>>14147781
CGI was good for the year and looked great. So did the special effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUdJ9WJ7n4
>>
>>14147544
it was fun, but it was no godzilla
>>
>>14147544
I really don't get the hatred for this. After watching the previous films the 1998 seems as stupid as the rest of them.
>>
>>14147544
As a Kid I fucking hated it. I thought Godzilla looked like shit, I thought the movie was fucking boring and I was utterly disappointed the whole way through.

As an adult I had a hard time sitting through it all. It's a mess and it seems like they were intentionally making shit. Just about every scene is so bad it's hard to watch. The monster looks like shit and the years have not been kind to the late 90's CGI.

I think it's better if we just ignore it ever happened.
>>
>>14147571
how is he staying upright
>>
>>14149678
Part of the hate probably comes from the early comments made by the creators. They shat on the old movies and proclaimed that this one will leave them in the dust, yet it ends up being just as dumb if not dumber. They chose Emmerich and Devlin precisely because they didn't want to make a Godzilla movie (and because ID4 was profitable as fuck), because they felt the whole concept was too stupid, so they wanted to prove that their version is superior.

This also gave the fans more fuel to bitch. For decades, they had been receiving shit from other people for enjoying stupid Asian rubber monster trash films, and when the "new and improved" American one turned out to be just as stupid and trashy, they let out all those years' worth of frustration.
>>
It's fine if you look at it as Jurassic Park in Manhattan with one giant T-Rex, lots of raptors and no other dinosaurs whatsoever.
>>
>>14147544
I love everything about it but the characters who are, with the exception of Jean Reno, pure cancer. The characters murder this movie so hard it's not even funny.
>>
>>14147544
>What are your thoughts on the 1998 Godzilla?
Garbage because it was the anti-thesis to what Godzilla was supposed to represent to turn him into the cookie cutter American movie monster. If they didn't use the Godzilla brand, people might have been a lot more forgiving.

>>14147571
>MyDeathOnlyProvesOneThing....jpeg

>>14150032
Counter balance tail.
Also 1998 Godzilla is NOT /m/.
>>
>>14150206
>1998 Godzilla is NOT /m/.
Toho co-produced it. Zilla being CG doesn't make it not toku. It's /m/.
>>
>>14150206
>tripfag being a stupid faggot
To the surprise of no one
>>
>>14147803
>Zilla and his sweet kicks.png
>>
File: Confused Satan.png (447 KB, 537x303) Image search: [Google]
Confused Satan.png
447 KB, 537x303
>>14147803
>Zilla has giant dino-dick
>"OH MY GOD IT'S A FEMALE"
>>
>>14147544
[Audible vomiting noises]
>>
File: Godzilla Zilla.jpg (772 KB, 2000x1583) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla Zilla.jpg
772 KB, 2000x1583
>>14147544
>1998 Godzilla
It's shit, no salvaging it, too many goddamned worms.

>Zilla
10/10 kaiju design, should be in way more shit, just not as THE Godzilla.
>>
I'm not a fan of the movie, but I've always loved Zilla's design. I'm grateful that the animated series gave him a chance to actually show what he can do in a fight.

I'm also surprised the fucking Sharknado guy was the voice of Nick. Didn't realize that until recently.
>>
>>14150290
Actually, in one episode of the cartoon, Zilla fucked a giant komodo dragon.
>>
>>14150345
Different Zilla.
>>
>>14150300
agreed 100%
>>
>>14150290
Actually, it was a hermaphrodite.
>>
>>14147544
When I was a kid I knew about Godzilla and his radioactive breath beam, but never had the chance to watch one of his movies.
So when I heard that we were getting an American film about Godzilla, I was hyped as all hell.

I waited the entire film for Zilla to shoot beams out of his mouth.
I hated the movie.
Didn't even give the animated series a chance because I disliked it so much.
>>
>>14151340
But but but he breathes hard making something explode and it looks like fire! That part was dub.

>>14150300
I love the design of the 98 Godzilla the most.
>>
>>14147544
The only good thing about it is that its sequel cartoon series came from it.
>>
>>14151340
>Didn't even give the animated series a chance because I disliked it so much.

You definitely should give it a chance, Zilla Jr is the best of both worlds, he has the speed and agility of his "mom" and the proper atomic firebreath of his Japanese counterpart.
>>
>>14151468
Atomic Firebreath, Size AND Regeneration of his Japanese counterpart PLUS Almost Human Intellect and getting smarter.
>>
>>14147544
Honestly, when I first watched it as a wee babby, I loved it. It was my introduction to the Godzilla franchise and I've enjoyed every movie so far. (yes, even the ones with minilla, although to a lesser extent)
Even though I watched it recently and it's not a great movie, it still holds a special place in my heart.
>>
Design is legit good which is why the cartoon is such a god send.
>>
>>14147544
Pretty kawaii desu in my honest opinion.

Also, I actually want a Godzilla vs Zilla movie, but the sort of vs movie that both combatants walk away from. Which I could post if anyone actually wants to hear my autism.
>>
>>14147544
The first time I rented and watched it at home, I got bored, fell asleep and pissed the bed. So no, I don't hold a very good opinion of this movie.
>>
>>14152748
I'd be okay with just a Zilla cameo in any upcoming G flicks. Like if they want to bring in Monster Island, maybe have him chilling in the sun as a background extra.
>>
>>14152748
I really don't think that can work. One of the basic complaints about Zilla is that it was much weaker than a standard Godzilla.

Although it could last a longer (or Zilla would just attempt to run away), the Final Wars match up wasn't really wrong.
>>
>>14154491

I agree that it would be one-sided but it would still be cool to see Zilla using his abilities. It's faster and can burrow and if we're going with the cartoon version there's a lot of cool little tricks he could use that would make the fight entertaining.
>>
>>14154491
>much weaker than a standard Godzilla
To be fair, a lot of monsters are. If Godzilla can fight multiple rounds with fucking giant moth larvae, I don't see why Zilla would be a no-go. Even Mothra's fragile as hell, yet they keep pitting her against him. They could ramp up his abilities or size a la King Kong, or have him join forces with some other beast, maybe his own brood.
>>
File: 1461488678589.jpg (380 KB, 900x629) Image search: [Google]
1461488678589.jpg
380 KB, 900x629
>>
>>14154648

There was a Godzilla movie in 2015?
>>
>>14150032
He's leaning on a table.
>>
>>14154648
if we keep pumping up Big Gs size it will eventually just be come meaningless
like i think G should always have buildings that go over his head, that way him toppling them or smashing/being smashed into them has weight
i mean wasn't 2015 G so tall so he still felt big next to the New York Skyscrapers which dwarfs most of the cityscape that Godzilla is put against in Japan?
ShinGoji kinda feels like a dick measuring contest in comparison....
>>
>>14150139

I remember reading in one of the promotional material that one of the creators had stated that Godzilla was the best movie monster that was never in a good movie.

Alright, so a lot of the old movies were corny as all balls, no mistaking that. But it was the good kind of corny. Godzilla '98? Whomever thought "That's a lot of fish" would be a good line should be taken out back and shot.

So yeah, when they say that Godzilla was never in a good movie, that meant to me that they were setting the bar high... And they completely missed it. They didn't almost clear it, they didn't get the height to hit it. It was like one of those people whom think they're the shit and completely overestimate their own ability and then they fall flat on their face in embarrassment when they've set the bar at like 15 feet but they only got like maybe 1 foot off the ground. They missed the point of what Godzilla was. It's not something you can kill, it's an neigh unstoppable force of nature trying to restore balance when humanity is fucking shit up.

The movie itself is fine, it's just not Godzilla, or what anyone would expect to be Godzilla. If they didn't try to pass it off as Godzilla, I'd rate it about 7 out of 10.
>>
>>14155069
Seems to me the Emmerich's crew shot themselves in the foot with these comments way harder than they would have without them. Apparently they even argued with the fans online -- though to be fair it is a pretty argumentative fanbase regardless.

Most people I know who loved the movie didn't care about Godzilla, so in that respect, they achieved at least some degree of success, considering the film was mostly geared towards non-fans.
>>
>>14147544
UH-HUH.
YEAH.
>>
>>14147544
My personal thoughts? A really, really dumb remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms that I don't even consider a Godzilla film. It's cheesy and dumb in the same vein of Independence Day, but really lacks ID4's cultural appropriation and its only notable feature is the "Godzilla" moniker slapped on it.

On a related note, I really liked the '98 animated series and its only shortcoming is that it doesn't feature the Japanese Godzilla instead of the American one.
>>
File: thats a lot of fish.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
thats a lot of fish.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>14147544
the best thing to come out of this move.
>>
>>14156231
>but really lacks ID4's cultural appropriation
????
>>
>>14156354
So Zilla was cool in IDW's Rulers of Earth
who else would like to see him in other Final Wars/Destoy All Monsters type situations?
preferably were he isnt a a one shot
>>
>>14161034
Would be neat to see him in any capacity outside the comics.
>>
File: Gojira.1984.720p.ac3.CG.webm (3 MB, 640x344) Image search: [Google]
Gojira.1984.720p.ac3.CG.webm
3 MB, 640x344
>>14147544
I will never forgive them for taking away the one major thing that makes Godzilla, Godzilla in the 1998 Film.
Look at this shit. See all that shit hitting Godzilla? He walks it off. Doesn't even phase him. This is how you know he's an unstoppable monster. That's what makes him intimidating as fuck.
The 1998 one can't even take 2 hits. Fuck that shit and fuck that movie.
>>
>>14150204
>What's with the chewing gum ?
>It makes us look more american

Jean Reno is so damn awesome
>>
>>14147544
If it didn't have the name Godzilla, it's a mediocre movie. Since it want's to be Godzilla, it fails hard as a Godzilla movie. Fatzilla was 10 times better.
>>
>>14150248
>toku
>/m/
I just checked the rules again to make sure you fags didn't get Hiro to amend it. It wasn't.

So this is where I chortle at you.
>>
>>14162304
>it want's to be Godzilla
Technically it wants to be anything but. Or rather it tried to redefine what Godzilla is because they didn't think the original concept was still workable.
>>
>>14162352
Mod's word, newfag :^)
>>
>>14162304
somehow, Fatzilla show even less then Zilla in his own movie.
>>
>>14162352
Why am I not surprised this board's #3 Zeek troll was so far up his own ass he missed our year-long battle over toku's /m/-ness and the numerous mod decisions which finally ended it?
>>
>>14162713
And yet, it's still better then most of Zilla's screentime
>>
>>14147544
It's absolute trash.

Naturally, I love it.
>>
>>14162257
>ace combat infinity.webm
>>
>>14162299
One of the good moments of the movie.
>>
>>14147544
This film reminds me my childhood.
>>
>>14147544
You need to watch a real Godzilla movie and not a fake hollywood knockoff
>>
>>14165425
>that one shitty event to promote one shitty game in a game that was ruined by shitty fuel system
>>
>>14165587
a-at least AC7 will be better!
>>
File: JUST.png (1 MB, 1167x527) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
1 MB, 1167x527
>>14165583
Yeah, this guy gets it. Everyone should learn to watch great patrician Asian cinema such as Godzilla: Final Wars and Son of Godzilla.
>>
>>14167442
>Son of Godzilla
You know, since people always said this was a polarizing one, I expected to hate it or like it, but I felt it was more mediocre. There were some interesting things going on in the human scenes, but by the second half it became boring shit and the monster scenes weren't that horrible nor goofy fun either. Though maybe I just felt that way because I was sleepy as fuck when I watched it.

But yeah, asking most Zillafags to watch "real" Godzilla movies and start liking them is an effort in futility.
>>
>>14167743
seeing godzilla hitting minilla with his tail was hilarious, the same when the gimantises/kamacuras threw rocks at him
what the fuck was with that ending, it felt a little out of place
>>
>>14147544
>Personally, I loved it.

It was an excellent remake of Gorgo.

As a Godzilla movie, it SUCKED CANAL WATER.
>>
>>14155989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrSyrOaoAug

Why, Anon? Why?
>>
I can ruin this thread with two words:
Toho Kingdom
>>
>>14167743
hey that was my entry point into the series
>>
>>14168622
2hu kingdom? Or tohofuhai?

Anybody got 2hu pics that are Godzilla relevant? There have to be some out there.
>>
File: tuhu_gojira.jpg (168 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tuhu_gojira.jpg
168 KB, 1920x1080
>>14168799
Like this?
>>
File: xxoXX2i.png (307 KB, 1000x825) Image search: [Google]
xxoXX2i.png
307 KB, 1000x825
>>14168867
Or this?
>>
>>14168875
D'awww
>>
Would the 1998 movie have improved of they used the Stan Winston design?
>>
>>14168785
You referring to Son of Godzilla or the 1998 movie?

>>14168971
Old-school fans would probably hate it less, and Zillafags wouldn't be spouting how "realistic" or superior the Tatopoulus version is, which would lead to less shitstorms in the fandom, so in that regard that would already be a huge improvement.
>>
>>14168875
>>14168867
>Flan-zilla
Didn't Remi wear a kajiu outfit in one Life of Maid arc?
>>
File: L5muTvr.jpg (295 KB, 1400x800) Image search: [Google]
L5muTvr.jpg
295 KB, 1400x800
>>14169871
Dunno
>>
>>14170119
does Godzilla have a preference between fission and fusion?
>>
>>14170140
I imagine fission as he doesn't have a lot of opportunity to taste fusion on earth.
>>
>>14150300
I'm curious how a hybrid design 50/50 between godzilla and zilla look like
>>
>>14171162
>>
>>14171162
>>14171731
also this
>>
File: 1MvJiXJ.jpg (265 KB, 700x979) Image search: [Google]
1MvJiXJ.jpg
265 KB, 700x979
>>14171735
From just the thumbnail I thought you had posted this
>>
>>14172730
swear to god i cant search anything on dan/gelbooru without at least one toho thing in there
its fuckin nuts

on another note i actually just watched GvsSG
fun film but like, lacking in substance. shit just keeps happening because. "Look MOUGERA! what happened to MechaG? is he down and out cause of the last movie? or is this new guy here to supplement our forces? WHO CARES" "Why Goes SpaceG want to fight BigG? is it a species magnetism thing? Is he just Evil? why is he kidnapping littleG? is he the Meteor the Mothra promised to cover for Battra? Why do the Faries keep butting in otherwise?"
like i know you can poke holes in every Godzilla movie but this was just egregious about it for me. Space Godzilla is a cool ass kaiju though.
>>
>>14172987
That movie has a bad reputation for a reason. I mean, bad even for a Godzilla film.

Personally I've always disliked the Heisei Mothra one more, though.
>>
>>14174851
at least that one had interesting lore to it and made internal sense. shit happens for reasons even if they are silly ones. Like Battra being a protector of earth but not its inhabitants hence why it attacks humans and needed to be sealed in the first place, and why Mothra and him eventually team up against Godzilla
>>
>>14172987
This for me is the worst of the Heisei movies. M.O.G.E.R.A. is built from the leftovers of Mecha, who was built in part and based off of Mecha-King Ghidorah. Originally we were supposed to see a three-way bout with G Mecha and Space G, but didn't get it. Maybe too many Godzillas in one film? Including baby it would have clocked in at 4. Heisei was 50% G fighting variations of Godzilla.
>Biollante
>Mecha
>Space G
Vs.
>King Ghidorah
>Mothra/Battra
>Destroyah
1984 non-withstanding because of it's almost token inclusion as Heisei. I think it counts, because of the fact that Vs. Biollante was a direct sequel.

Mothra was supposed to be out in space to stop the meteor but can't(?) and sends a tiny Mothra to warn people that Space G is coming. I guess Battra died without a real purpose. Maybe the lesson here is not to count on Mothra for favors. Space G wants to conquer Earth but has to kill the only thing it considers a match for it, which is logically Godzilla in this case. Likely Baby is kidnapped to goad Godzilla into a fight. I feel like this movie was just made to tie up loose ends like what happens when you let G cells into space.
>>
>>14179039
>I feel like this movie was just made to tie up loose ends like what happens when you let G cells into space.
Also because the American movie got postponed. For a while, MG II was to be the last Heisei movie, but plans had to be changed when Sony kept fumbling up their adaptation and had no release date. So Toho had to keep pumping out some more of their own.

I know that Godzilla movies are made relatively fast, so I don't know if we can call SpaceGodzilla rushed, but it kinda sucks that this got to be the series' 40th anniversary movie.
>>
>>14179081
The original was supposed to vs Astromonster, and featured a kaiju who controlled space dragonflies or some such that mind controlled the series psychic Saegawa(?) and Baby. It did have a radder design from the concept art with some kind of fins/wings going on. But the original plot was supposed to be even more convoluted. I didn't know until recently that it was the 40th. Maybe the desire to distance from it. I don't know if I could have accepted MG2 as the last one of that run, it wouldn't have been and I feel stupid saying this, conclusive. Vs. Destroyah did an amazing job and easily was a much better climax of the series. Heisei is my favorite but it smacks of mixed results in the continuity aspect because it felt like they were at some points flying by the seat of their pants. E.g. Mothra getting so jobbed in vs. SG as to only have a token appearance. Did we say we were going to do something with that, oh shit! Just show Mothra in space for a few frames crapping baby Mothra that give our characters the gist of what's going on in a half assed plot device. I love Heisei but still.
>>
>>14147544
loved it as a kid, but now that I'm older i realize it isn't godzilla.
>>
>>14179171
Yeah, SpaceGodzilla is an odd one out. Some have likened it to the Heisei series hearkening back to the late 60s-70s Showa period, what with the lighter tone, a new action-oriented director, a new composer, Little Godzilla looking more like Minilla, SpaceGodzilla looking more like an abstract 70s monster, and the return of Monster Island. Except it only lasted one movie this time, and Destoroyah was more of a return to Heisei's "norm".
>>
>>14168555
It will never leave my head. I wonder what Puff Daddy is up to these days.
>>
>>14179280
It's still head and shoulders over Son of and G's Revenge. I don't like Terror, but some people do. In the same way I love Vs. Hedorah despite Tanaka demoting Banno and saying it ruined Godzilla.
>>
>>14179039
>Maybe too many Godzillas in one film?
from what ive read that was exactly it
>>
File: 1449692349868.webm (3 MB, 720x300) Image search: [Google]
1449692349868.webm
3 MB, 720x300
>>14154680
Eh? 2014 Godzilla was nowhere near New York, and even at 100m tall, he's nowhere near the tallest buildings in San Francisco where he was fighting. And SF has a much lower skyscraper ceiling than NY due to earthquakes.
And he's a VERY, VERY long way before dwarfing NY skyscrapers. Even at his x box hueg 2014 size, he's still less than one fourth the height of the Empire State Building.
Of course, Japs can't build as high as NY for the same reason as SF, but even Annozilla would be small next to the towers in Tokyo, but for the time being, the shots we have are of him out amongst small buildings specifically to make him look taller and more intimidating.
>>
>>14147544
I loved it when I saw it as a kid. As an adult I still like the first half of the film, but it really starts to fall apart in the second half especially when the baby zillas hatch and it just becomes a bad Jurassic park rip off.
>>
>>14179039
>the lower paragraph,
so like thats all well and good but like, its never presented in the movie. the fairies just show the fuck up, theres no "Mothra Failed where Battra was meant to succeed!" or MOUGERA was all we could salvage from MechaG" i remember reading that in the original draft SpaceG would have used his telepathy to Override Miki's will have have her talk for him. that could have still happened and as a bonus he would come off as a less arbitrary threat
>>
>>14179280
from what i understand it was supposed to be MORE showa, what with the winged albino AstroGodzilla, but Toho got cold feet and toned it down
>>
>>14150300
I just do not get the love for Zilla's design. It just looks like a giant dinosaur which isn't anything outright terrible but isn't really notable either.
>>
>>14179832
It was supposed to be based on a sea iguana and more "natural" in shape than the "dude in a rubber suit" look the Japs used.
Of course it didn't help that it kept the back spines and was overall a pretty sloppy attempt at design in a pretty sloppy attempt at a movie.
>>
>>14179832
Gorosaurus is ten times more guilty of that yet he's a fan favorite. Actually, a lot of Godzilla kaiju are pretty generic looking, and I've seen several non-fans that love Zilla express the same disbelief as you about the other monsters.

I like Zilla's look because though he IS a tad generic looking, he combines traits from multiple animals (iguana, dinosaur, vaguely human-like upper chest and arms), in the same vein as Mothra having characteristics of several insects or Ebirah looking like a mix between different crab kinds. The thunder-chin makes it look distinct and I love the forward-curving spikes, especially the bis ones at the shoulders. Though at times I feel that his proportions should be tweaked a little to give the design more "personality".

I guess it helps that this is the design I grew up with, so it doesn't trigger me the way it does old-school autists.
>>
>>14180719
to be fair i think Gorosaurus is popular BECAUSE shes just a generic dino
he's nothing specific but also nothing super unique, hes just a big ass dino thats scrappy and fucks dudes up
i mean thats why i like him
>>
>>14180822
I love him too, and that's why I usually don't agree with the notion that generic=unfavorable.

Of course, that's not to say that Zilla and Gorosaurus are in the same ballpark: Gorosaurus you either like or feel "meh" about, because there really isn't much to his looks, but Zilla's design traits can be pretty divisive. To say the fucking least.
>>
File: tkringe.png (154 KB, 1000x1370) Image search: [Google]
tkringe.png
154 KB, 1000x1370
>>14168622
>>
What would you guys do to fix the 1998 movie?
>>
File: 1459277614136.png (121 KB, 245x296) Image search: [Google]
1459277614136.png
121 KB, 245x296
>>14189343
Remove the main character and his shitty romantic plot.
Make Godzilla NOT a scared bitch.
More Jean Reno.
>>
>>14189343
Switch the roles and sizes of Zilla and Reno.
>>
>>14189343
I'd make a Godzilla movie instead of a Jurassic Park ripoff.
>>
>>14185107

Hey don't blame Godzilla for your shitty parents. He'd stomp 'em if he could.
>>
>>14190283
>godzilla will never stomp your parents
;_;
>>
>>14189343
tougher Zilla, have the human scenes be less schticky and increase Reno's screen time, nix the babies and their scene ansd sub in more monster action, and have the killing scene involve special weapons like cadmium missile and/or high heat rounds, then have the stinger be Zilla still alive and swimming away
oh and Nix the Romance with the main character, it was dumb and useless and the reporter was an asshole to him that whole movie
>>
>>14189353
>>14189355
>>14189360
>>14192211
I would watch all of these. I'd also add that I think some musical tribute to Ifukube's score would have been nice. Even if it's just a little tickle here and there.

As it stands, this is the best song from the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNGLB7wfIUw
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.