[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like her? Better question, why would she be anybody's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12
File: minmay.webm (3 MB, 810x608) Image search: [Google]
minmay.webm
3 MB, 810x608
Why do people like her?

Better question, why would she be anybody's waifu? Like maybe I guess someone could appreciate her despite her faults but why would you go full "oh I love her"?

I mean according to some people, this is the best idol character in the franchise and man I don't see it at all.
>>
>>14139655
She's cute.
I'd fuck her then abandon her and not take responsibility.
>>
Her thing was that she was supposed to be naive and innocent, but the problem is that she was irritatingly so, and blindingly stupid because of that.

>Oh, we're about to die, let's get married! Just kidding, now that we've been saved I'm not suicidally depressed anymore!
>This song is called "My boyfriend is a pilot" but I really have no feelings for this guy who saved my life numerous times and who I was going to marry!
>This is Kaifun, my cousin! Isn't he just so awesome despite being an absolute douche and hating the people who have literally been protecting us from getting slaughtered by those giant aliens?

Hikaru isn't much better either, both of them made me want to stab myself in the brain repeatedly throughout the show.
>>
>>14139767
>both of them made me want to stab myself in the brain repeatedly throughout the show.

Average teenagers then.
>>
Some people are such shallow waifushitters that Minmay being cute and innocent overrides all this >>14139767.
>>
File: CbiGPBkWEAANBn6.jpg (46 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
CbiGPBkWEAANBn6.jpg
46 KB, 600x412
>>14139770
>characters should be annoying because REALISM
>your response to this will be something like "hurr guess you like shitty self-inserts then"
what the fuck is happening to this board
>>
>>14139784
Or I could just be joking, anon.

>what the fuck is happening to this board

Kneejerk reactions certainly aren't helping.
>>
>>14139770
>Average teenagers then.

Im getting real sick of this sad defense.
>>
>>14139784

Fanbases and people in general getting even more autistic around here, as can easily be seen by the general actions of a certain other fanbase and yourself.
>>
>>14139767
Hikaru actually sucks yeah.

Really wouldn't consider him much of a good catch especially after the scarf incident
>>
>>14139789
Poe's Law. I see this same stupid rationale get thrown around so often I honestly can't tell anymore.
>>
>>14139655
But she's worst girl. Only plebs would like her. I couldn't believe best girl won in the end, as a matter of fact. It shows how everything was better back in the 80s.
>>
>>14139770
Looks like you hate teenage peoples much.
>>
>>14139847
Yes oldfag, we know. Now go hang yourself with the high cut bottoms you jerk yourself to sleep with every night.
>>
>>14139655
Minmay isn't supposed to be a waifu, but a girl who turns from childish idol singer to unreachable and mature songtress that inspires generation after generation in the search of peace and coexistence.

She's someone you cannot attain, as Hikaru realized.
>>
>>14139847
I don't see what's so great about Misa either, she's even more retarded than Minmay and a bigger bitch too
>>
>>14139832
Considering there are actually a solid group of people who argue that the writing quality of a character is directly and solely proportional with some vague notion of 'likability', it's not surprising.

OP did specifically define likability as the topic of discussion from the start though and Minmay is indeed a cunt in that respect.
>>
>>14139847
But Minmay won too. According to Kawamori she never loved Hikaru. It was music what she was in love with, so her experience with that, makes her realize her true feelings or some shit. Basically she becomes a music autist like Basara who follows her steps after her post UTAHIME MATURITY.
>>
>>14139878
>I-It's not like I liked him or anything, so I didn't lose. Besides, music is a lot better than sex. I DIDN'T LOSE I SAY ;_;
>>
>>14139681
"She's cute" is something an autist says when he can't come up with a single reason as to why he likes a character.
>>
>>14140012
Not acknowledging cuteness is a thing that real people with non-robot brains can see and appreciate is pretty autistic too.
>>
>>14139871
>Minmay isn't supposed to be a waifu
Ha!

And again I say

Ha Ha!
>>
>>14139871

Minmei was never an unreachable mature songstress.
>>
>>14139655
DYRL Minmay > Ranka > Emilia > Misa > Mylene > Sheryl > shit > SDF Minmay
>>
>>14140012
What?
She's cute man. I acknowledge that she acts sorta like a cunt, but her naievity, body, and the general way she acts is cute. It makes my dick hard. All that can be summed up in the word 'cute'
I wanna fuck her, get her pregnant, then leave her to deal with it. Then afterwards no one would buy her CDs because she's no longer pure.
>>
>>14140257
>Mylene over Sheryl
>Splitting DYRL Minmay and SDF Minmay but not doing the same for Misa (DYRL Misa doesn't have the stupid "my old boyfriend" subplots)
>Counting Emilia for some reason

No sir, you have the shit taste
>>
>>14139871
I bet you also believe that "Rei was supposed to be creepy" bullshit.
These characters are designed to make viewers fall in love with them. Not everyone will, because people have different tastes, but that's why they give you options.
>>
>>14140288
Emilia was just best girl of Macross 7 so counted her

Misa is pretty much the same between SDF and DYRL the only difference being DYRL didn't have time for a thorough back story

Sheryl is very boring and uninteresting at least Myelene was quirky and appealing
>>
>>14140297
>Sheryl is very boring and uninteresting at least Myelene was quirky and appealing
No she's not. Sheryl is quirkly and appealing. She's very appealing. Mylene is literally a classic example of a modern tsundere. She is completely one note through the whole series that you could probably set a checklist for which buttons she pushes each episode. Also she's very annoying. Like incredibly annoying, just the worst.
>>
>>14139993
>Implying she did not find anyone else

I know its not saying much but if the Robotech comics are anything to go by, then she has been with quite a few people.
>>
>>14140342
>but if the Robotech comics are anything to go by,
Lolno. How are you even bringing that up.
>>
>>14140042
That was Kawamori's intention. Go and read his interviews. Or better, go and find the stories published two years later. Minmay is a mature goddess of music tier.
>>
>>14139993
>Question: So, in the end, were Minmay's feelings for Hikaru actually love?
>Kawamori: Rather than Hikaru, what Minmay was fascinated with was her own everyday life itself. Like being infatuated with infatuation. After they were separated, and later reunited, she misunderstood her own feelings towards Hikaru as love.

80s interview. She was never in love with him. To Kawamori, Minmay was the real protagonist, even if she wasn't the point of view character, so it was a journey for her to mature as songtress which concludes in Flashback. She never lost anything except an illusion of love she had in other to mature from "pop idol" to "star."

Hikaru was in love with her though.
>>
>>14140288
DYRL Misa is a non entity, though.
>>
>>14139655
>Why do people like her?
They do? First time I hear about it. From the biggest weeaboo to the most casual Robotech watcher, in my experience everyone who knows her hates her.
>>
>>14140705
Minmei's super popular in Japan
>>
File: Minmei's super chinky laugh.png (600 KB, 1197x891) Image search: [Google]
Minmei's super chinky laugh.png
600 KB, 1197x891
>>14140803
>>
File: Only for a second.png (576 KB, 1185x893) Image search: [Google]
Only for a second.png
576 KB, 1185x893
>>14140808
>>
File: Capt Shammy.jpg (80 KB, 1065x778) Image search: [Google]
Capt Shammy.jpg
80 KB, 1065x778
>>14139655
I would do horrible deviate things to Pachinko Minmei. I'd tenderly love Pachinko Shammy.
>>
>>14140705
You could have just said "from /m/ to the most casual Robotech watcher" to save yourself some time, ESL.
>>
>>14140819
Electronic Sports League?
>>
>>14140705
Minmay is the ultimate waifu for Japan.
>>
>>14140841
I can understand DYRL Minmey but how the fuck anyone can like SDF Minmay is beyond me
>>
>>14140829
English Second Language
>>
>>14139767
>This song is called "My boyfriend is a pilot" but I really have no feelings for this guy
Was it ever confirmed that she wrote this herself? I always assumed it was written for her to sing as recruitment propaganda along with those photoshoots with valkyries.
>>
>>14139655
man... her voice actress really went nowhere after macross....
>>
>>14140933
She shot down (sic) Hikaru's VA so hard he killed himself.

Not kidding
>>
>>14140933
https://youtu.be/O1HWhWr8udk?t=13m27s

she made it on basic cable
>>
File: tumblr_nfz103U0961tpecupo1_500.gif (48 KB, 500x288) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfz103U0961tpecupo1_500.gif
48 KB, 500x288
>>14140933

It's kinda scary how strong the foresight of her peers were in saying that she would be forever stuck as Minmay if she got the role. I would never be able to predict a cartoon show being a big enough hit to keep your fame chained to it only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpz298XHrxw
>>
I like her because she's an interesting character instead of generic genki bitch.
>>
>>14140803
>Minmei's super popular in Japan

Well that explains a lot of things...
>>
>>14140850
Neither loved Hikaru, that was the point, she was unattainable and all Hikaru did was to settle down with second best option because he needed to comfort that big stars were out his reach.
>>
>>14140803
The bombs they do nothing!
>>
>>14140829
Are they anything like the Negro Felon League?
>>
>>14141222
I think it's fairly obvious Misa loved Hikaru. Minmay is more complicated
>>
File: Dere Dere.png (3 MB, 1152x3528) Image search: [Google]
Dere Dere.png
3 MB, 1152x3528
Hikaru really gets a bad reputation

The scarf incident was neigh-unforgivable, but drop that and he definitely worked for his relationship with Misa

Misa herself hides her inferiority complex behind her duties (Every time she "orders" Hikaru to abandon her), and Hikaru steps up to overcome that. Plus he saves her life on like, three separate occaisions

His infatuation with Minmei was just that; and infatuation

Even re-adding the scarf, Misa forgiving Hikaru isn't unmotivated; in the last SDF episode he is genuinely repentant, and reproaches Minmei
>>
>>14140012
>calling a girl cute is autism
It's confirmed, nobody here gonna lay anything but an onahole
>>
>>14141338
Minmay didn't love him. In the tv series, she was depressed and he was her crutch. He took advantage to live his Minmay fantasy to encourage her confusion when he was aware she wasn't into him that way. In the movie, she was infatuated with the idea of falling in love and the life he had showed her. But Minmay's path was always music, Hikaru was a distraction in her journey. Eventually he and Misa set her back to her real call and love.
>>
>>14141355
>His infatuation with Minmei was just that; and infatuation
No, Kawamori affirmed Hikaru loved Minmay and his feelings were stronger or equal to those he had of Misa. He simply realized he didn't have a future with her and she belonged to 'everyone'. He settled with Misa and abandoned the one he chased after.

Now Minmay's feelings were indeed just short-lived infatuation (of being in love with someone reliable) instead of love. Whether you like or hate it, Kawamori never intended to make Macross a traditional love triangle. It's not about a grand love story but people becoming adults, and some of them (Hikaru) didn't get what they want the most. Kawamori even stated that, in DYRL, for example, had Minmay be around when Misa and Hikaru made it back there, Hikaru wouldn't have chosen Misa.
>>
>>14141683
>Hikaru was a distraction in her journey.
Not really, without her interaction with him, she wouldn't have the courage to sing that song in the middle of the carnage and instead would've run like she did in the beginning. Hikaru had to slap some sense on her and had her realize that she was narrow-minded. I mean come on, let everyone die? It might be in a spur of a moment, that is still an irresponsible remark.
>>14141355
>His infatuation with Minmei was just that
I can agree with this, this seems to be especially true in the TV series.

Thankfully they manage to grow up and move on. Misa is still superior though
>>
>>14141355
>Hikaru really gets a bad reputation
How does he get a bad reputation? Hikaru really does do a lot of dumb things.

The scarf thing was just a major infamous moment in a series of incredibly dumb moments and also, the reason it is such a terrible thing is that this is happening in like episode 34 I think? This is like a few weeks before the end and they're doing MISUNDERSTANDINGS still? The entirety of Hikaru's flip-flopping between how he feels about Minmay and Misa is annoying.

Like, you say he worked for his relationship but for some reason he totally does not seem to immediately drop Minmay when Misa is so into him she's cleaning his house. The entire episode about Gloria sharing her past with Roy with Misa is because she thinks he doesn't like her. This is also my big issue with those extended episodes because they are half post-war stuff which is interesting and half morning soap opera which isn't really that interesting
>>
>>14140803
>Minmei's super popular in Japan
that's sheryl
>>
>>14141698
Hikaru was a distraction, not him as person, but her fascination on him. That's how Kawamori puts it, not love, just fascination of what he could offer and stood for. Minmay's entire arc was for her to be a self-realized star rather than a pop idol, so she had to cast away delusions. Hikaru was one of them. He and Misa are though important to make her realize her true call and feelings.

Even if you believe it was 'infatuation', Kawamori called it love from his side. He only chose Misa because Minmay was unavailable and always will be even if she appeared receptive to his feelings, she would never actually love him. She would have probably be miserable and lesser of she could be had he stayed with her. Hikaru puts it nicely in the tv show, she was way out his league. I would agree Misa was better, but from Kawamori's (and Hikaru's) perspective, she wasn't. Hikaru didn't end up with Minmay, not because of his feelings for Misa were stronger or because Misa was a better woman, but because Minmay's arc was the most important one and Minmay had to a mature super star who would become legendary and transcending galaxy fame to leave the most important legacy in universe. Others may pick her baton, but she got the ball rolling. Kawamori stated Minmay, not Hikaru or Misa, was the true protagonist of Macross, but she wasn't the POV character, so all was about her coming of age and he had all the intention to continue and focus on this but Hikaru VA committed suicide. Think of it was Sherlock Holmes, the POV is Watson and sometimes Sherlock isn't in the scene or story, but the story is about him. All we have is the musical wrap up in Flash Back where we see a mature, ultimate songtress Minmay in her last concert. She isn't just an idol anymore.
>>
>>14141816
Sheryl is a Minmay clone. The basis for Frontier was DYRL Minmay clone (Sheryl) vs TV Macross clone (Ranka) triangle. Minmay is the face of the franchise, topped rankings in the 80s and revolutionized the entire idol industry in anime. Sheryl is the closest another Macross heroine got to be popular, but didn't replace her.

The reason why Sheryl was a hit more than Ranka was because Sheryl was meant to portray the fully realized aspect of Minmay, starting as the glamorous Minmay of the movie and becoming the older and wiser Minmay of Flashback and the future stories printed.
>>
>>14139681
/thread

>>14139767
>both of them

You can't really blame Hikaru though, he had no experience with woman so its pretty reasonable to expect a guy like him to react in his way when Minmei treat him like some fling-away.

But he has no reason to act in the way he did after the war ended though, like what >>14141704 has mentioned. Hikaru doesn't deserves Misa.
>>
>>14141704
I'll concede that it would have been nice if the triangle shaped up better towards the end; it does get kinda soapy

Maybe if the scarf incident was a little bit earlier, maybe by three or four episodes, it would have flowed better

>>14141943
I think you have a strong argument; everyone sort of needs to grow up, Hikaru needs to drop Minmei and vice-versa for Minmei's sake

Considering the weight of Minmei's singing, it makes sense

Hikaru could learn to love Misa
>>
>>14143197
Hikaru did love Misa, but his feelings for Minmay were stronger at least at that point. Maybe later his feelings for Misa would grow, or I hope they did. Hikaru spent pinning for Minmay for a long time. He took the right choice to finally let go of her. I'm sure he had a fantasy that she would abandon her status and settle with him (he kind of resented her position in many ways), and her emotional state at the end of the series was providing him these circumstances, but he understood that he was fucking up Misa and Minmay by continuing to be with the latter like that. Minmay didn't need him, she needed help and a right push back to her career after her disillusion. He had made himself into a crutch that would have kept both of them resentful in the end.

It wasn't a traditional love triangle of 'stronger love and passion' wins, but rather what was the best for the characters, what they needed rather what they thought they wanted (specially in case of Minmay and Hikaru). Kawamori said Minmay's feelings for Hikaru and Misa (both of them) transcends any kind of romantic love, she cares deeply for them and shares a perfect understanding and trust. That's the scene that's meant to be reflected in Flashback 2012 when they appear and cover her in her songtress outfit. I think it's a real pity he couldn't continue Macross, because we could have seen more of 19-something fully mature Minmay, as a dear friend of the Ichijous, and on her peak of star, trying to spread a message of peace, culture and coexistence (with Misa and Hikaru as her protectors). We have the presentation of DYRL with older Minmay, so more mature, and the one in Flashback, but it would have been cool.
>>
>>14139767
Your points are retarded. She was a 14-15 years old trapped without dear anything to eat with a guy of her age, she panicked, thought she was going to die, so might as well have a mock wedding to die happy. It wasn't about Hikaru but her bride fantasy. If you replace Hikaru with Max or frigging Misa, it would have been the same shit.

>This song is called "My boyfriend is a pilot"
She also has a song about her cheating ex boyfriend, Sunset Beach, and she doesn't have any. You're reading too much. Those songs she created as a 'pop idol', they are mindless fluff.

>This is Kaifun, my cousin! Isn't he just so awesome despite being an absolute douche and hating the people
Kaifun was one of the few people in her life who had, by that point, fully supported her in her career, after most of her family turned their back to her. He helped her as manager and he wasn't a dick to her back them. Her reliance on him was justified more than Misa randomly wanting his dick and excusing his behavior, agreeing with him (why people never mention this? Did they forget Misa wanted Kaifun's dick badly even if he was a giant ass?). Minmay eventually snapped at Kaifun when he attacked Misa after they were saved and defended her.

You have a selective memory. Minmay had reproachable actions, because she was a child, who needed growing up, but those points are frankly stupid.
>>
File: minmay_stands_up_to_kaifun.png (626 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
minmay_stands_up_to_kaifun.png
626 KB, 720x540
>>14143803
Forgot my pic.
>>
File: Minmay 98.jpg (89 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Minmay 98.jpg
89 KB, 960x720
>>14140817
>I would do horrible deviate things to Pachinko Minmei.
We all would.
>>
File: true songs.png (581 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
true songs.png
581 KB, 720x540
>>14139767
See >>14140923
Minmay started writing her own songs after this.
>>
>>14141001
>one episode of a show that was already on it's way out.
>made it

serves her right for thinking that she's too good to voice animes. and marrying some white pig then got divorced with a kid.
>>
>>14143879
She also went unhinged when her rabbit died. She was carrying the carcass around in her purse.
>>
>>14143879

Voice acting isn't a particularly lucrative business, and her fans were pretty rabid, so she probably made the right call regardless.
>>
>>14143929
wtf? for real? my god, she's like carrie fisher but more crazy.
>>
>>14143929
>>14144076
That's even worse than how the first Kiranger's actor felt about being known for one role. At this point, Ijima's life is just hurting.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.