[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just picked this up and wanna ask; What is this stupid fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 34
I just picked this up and wanna ask; What is this stupid fucking shit? This is not the macross I remember. Did they water it down to cater to mouth breathing homosexu/a/ls?

I just dont get it. Why would they ruin such a good franchise by making it idol shit centrist? Fuck.
>>
not enough homo desu
>>
>>14138885
>I just read this post and wanna ask; What is this stupid fucking shit? This is not the OP I remember. Did they water it down to cater to mouth breathing homosexu/a/ls? I just dont get it. Why would they ruin such a good board by making it shitposting centrist? Fuck.
>>
>>14138885
>This is not the ROBOTECH I remember.

Fixed that for U
>>
>>14138885

You say those things like most anime possesses any artistic merit to begin with.
>>
>This is not the macross I remember.
You never knew Macross in the first place.
>>
>>14138885
>obvious bait is obvious
Anyways, OP needs to watch more Macross 7.
>>
>>14138914
>You say those things like any anime possesses any artistic merit to begin with
Ftfy
>>
>>14138885
W
>>
This thread will be posted once per day from now until 2 years after Delta ends. After which it will be posted once a week.
>>
>>14139009
I'm glad I don't come here as often as I used to.
>>
>>14139015

I'm glad I do, though for different reasons
>>
AND
>>
>>14138885
>Macross
>Not being about idol shit
That's a funny joke, anon. You're a funny person.
>>
File: GO-TO-HELL (2).png (208 KB, 526x500) Image search: [Google]
GO-TO-HELL (2).png
208 KB, 526x500
>>14138885
>What is this stupid fucking shit? This is not the macross I remember. Did they water it down to cater to mouth breathing homosexu/a/ls?
>>
>>14138885
>I just picked this up and wanna ask; What is this stupid fucking shit? This is not the macross I remember

And what Macross would you remember ? Because idols and music bands have been in Macross since the very first begining.
>>
>>14138885
>Why would they ruin such a good franchise by making it idol shit centrist? Fuck.
Have you only watched Plus?
Macross literally created idolshit.
>>
>>14138954
WE ARE THE TWO IN ONE IDOL, MACROSS W

COUNT UP YOUR SONGS
>>
>>14138885
It's not the idols thing that bother me, but more like the fact that they have to much super magical powers.

Shields, laser beam, Super strength and the power of love.

yeah yeah, Basara had the same level of magic shit, but at least he sings only on board a jet, these idols can 'fight with bare hands.

it's a bit to much.
>>
>>14139077
>super magical powers.
They have shield drones and lifter skirts. We've already seen pin-point barriers and the lifters on the EX-Gear in Frontier are roughly the same size.

The idols aren't fighting at all. They're doing the exact same thing (though with better results) that the Jamming Birds in 7 were doing.
>>
>>14139077
>but more like the fact that they have to much super magical powers.
No they don't. Well maybe Mikumo does

>Shields, laser beam, Super strength and the power of love.
The shields are just shield drones which they painstakingly make clear. The rest of that shit isn't there. Not even the power of love yet.
>>
>>14139077
>Shields, laser beam, Super strength
>fight with bare hands
They don't do any of those.

The only remotely "magical" thing about them is that their singing can cure a song-induced psychosis, which seems pretty reasonable if you ask me.
>>
>>14138885
>I've literally only watched Plus
We're going to have this thread every week aren't we.
>>
This is what Macross is now. Enjoy it for what it is, not for what you wanted it to be.

I too wish it was more like SDF but that isn't meant to be. Relax a little, it's a good show with great music.
>>
I'm glad I actually watched macross when frontier was airing. It destroyed all my stupid perceptions about the franchise when I got to 7. I feel like 7 is the magic series when you figure out what macross really is.
>>
>>14139091
>They don't do any of those.

Mikumo does. She lifts all rubble at command .
>>
>>14139111
>Mikumo does. She lifts all rubble at command .
That was the drones.

Like you see them surrounding her when it happens
>>
File: flay2.jpg (142 KB, 425x640) Image search: [Google]
flay2.jpg
142 KB, 425x640
Macross went to shit with Macross 7 but surprisingly after that gay shit(with giant monsters and music cannons) we got Macross Plus and Macross Zero and things looked good until that shit Macross F

then we got Macross Delta and you know all is lost

at least in gundam UC is safe and sunrise can just make shit gay gundam shows in the AU
>>
>>14139111
Holy shit, do people actually pay attention to anything they watch? She's surrounded by shield drones immediately before impact (you can see the green shielding effect), and the shields push away the rubble in the next scene
>>
You niggers claiming that macross has always had idols before revealing anything new to me. But that was only part of the show. It never took center stage like it does in delta. This garbage is a straight up musical with BAD music. At the very least Frontier had nice music that made the rest of the garbage tolerable.
>>
>>14139114
Good, just wait to you see the level of deus ex machina of these drones. The drones are just techno bubble to give the girls powers of magical shojo.

they will breathe in space, heal wounds and other shit
>>
>>14139121
>at least in gundam UC is safe

It sure is with Sunrise being utterly unwilling to step outside their comfort zone.
>>
>>14139130
>Good, just wait to you see the level of deus ex machina of these drones.
When that happens, you can rightfully complain about it, but only if it does something we've never seen before in the franchise and doesn't make sense

>>14139127
>But that was only part of the show. It never took center stage like it does in delta.
Literally 7
>>
>>14139130
Do remember that this is a series where they literally violate conservation of mass and the square-cube law in micloning. And having pin-point barriers on AI drones breaks your suspension of disbelief? That's funny.
>>
>>14139121
Macross Plus came out before Macross 7.
>>
>>14139127
>WELCOME TO WALKURE WORLD
>GIRI GIRI EYE~
>KOWASHITE
>bad
You have a severe case of no fun allowed. Also the plot hasn't even started yet beyond "Var is a thing"
>>
>>14139150
This place is always gonna be people mad about things that happened long ago and aren't gonna change for obvious reasons.
>>
>>14138885

WE WALKURE
>>
>>14139146
>14139146
holy fuck you are right but still fuck macross 7
>>
>>14139121
>likes Zero and Plus
>doesn't like Frontier despite being in the exact same vein as those two

The fuck??
>>
>>14138885
why do manchildren who watch Vietnamese automotron commercials think idolshit is below them? Its pretty funny
>>
>>14139283
Actually technically, Delta would be the one closer to Plus as it is entirely supposed to revolve around VFs vs. VFs

(well not technically, Kawamori straight up said Delta is Plus+7)
>>
Fucking kek.

>WHY IS THE SERIES THAT INVENTED IDOLSHIT FULL OF IDOLSHIT

I for one am enjoying Symphogear Delta.
>>
>>14139333
Because it used to be 20% idolshit and now it's 75% idolshit.
>>
>>14139290
yeah thats how fucking shitty idols are, whats your point
>>
>>14138885
Dear sir,
I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about your previous message in which you used the term "mouth breathing homosexuals".

Many of my friends are homosexuals, and only a few of them breathe through their mouths.

Yours faithfully, Brigadier Sir Charles Arthur Strong (Mrs.)

P.S, I have never kissed the editor of Newtype.
>>
>>14139355
I just don't see how after 7 you think any of this is weird. This isn't AKB0048 or something. There is still quite the fair bit of mecha action.

Is it the singing that's the problem? 7 and Frontier should have long overprepared you for that
>>
>>14139382
I don't mind, but that's why people bitch.

Seriously people, this is what Macross is now, there's no going back. Relax and have fun with what you get because you are never, ever getting SDF2.
>>
File: Mikumo Shield Drones.png (924 KB, 1089x609) Image search: [Google]
Mikumo Shield Drones.png
924 KB, 1089x609
>>14139111
>>14139077
>>14139130
Why are you so blind? Immediately before the missiles impact you can clearly see the shield drones surround Mikomo and project a energy shield.
>>
File: Mikumo Shield Drones 1.png (975 KB, 1089x605) Image search: [Google]
Mikumo Shield Drones 1.png
975 KB, 1089x605
After the building she's standing on is destroyed, the shield drones accompany her down to the ground. They, and their energy projections, are what are lifting the rubble. You can clearly see them here.
>>
>>14139454
>>14139458
Honestly at this point, I don't think you can explain this shit to some people. They're just blind
>>
File: Cockpit view level.png (839 KB, 1085x605) Image search: [Google]
Cockpit view level.png
839 KB, 1085x605
>>14139473
I genuinely think this is the same problem when people were watching G-Reco, though the circumstances are obviously different. Maybe people are too busy reading subtitles to pay attention?

Either way, there's a lot of fantastic in-universe consistencies. The in-cockpit-view while in Battroid mode is at mid-level, rather than at head height, which is consistent and most obvious in DYRL, Plus, and Frontier.

As an aside, Gundam, particularly UC, also does this consistent cockpit view thing very well, switching to head-height cameras in Jungles and other urban environments, while switching to the much more useful torso-view while in space.
>>
File: MacrossGrittyWarDrama.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
MacrossGrittyWarDrama.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>14138885
>not the "Macross" I remember

Did Robotech cut out space tuna?
>>
>>14139473
You can explain it but the effect is still like tossing Precure into Top Gun, and that was the very first action scene. The VF stuff was pretty cool, but having magical girl-style antics before that killed the momentum and tone.

Like, I get that it's similar to Minmei and Ranka but neither of them ever fought while singing, and even if they did they wouldn't be doing it on foot.
>>
File: Mikumo Shield Drones 3.png (1 MB, 1087x598) Image search: [Google]
Mikumo Shield Drones 3.png
1 MB, 1087x598
>>14139510
>killed the momentum and tone
But it's always been Macross' premise that you can't win just by shooting people in the face really hard. Bullets win battles, but Culture wins wars. You may disagree, but that's their thesis.

>neither of them ever fought while singing
Watch Macross 7. Not just Fire Bomber, but the Jamming Birds, which the Walkure clearly take after. In fact the Walkure are really just the Jamming Birds with advances in tech and a better understanding of Song Energy/Fold Waves.
>>
>>14139510
>You can explain it
Not only can it be explained but it is in line with technology established before in previous series

>Like, I get that it's similar to Minmei and Ranka
No it is similar to 7. Also, nobody is actually fighting while singing. Admittedly, Mikumo is jumping around but that's because she a)probably not normal b) the most hardcore of the bunch.

You people make it sound like they are actually going out there and physically fighting and shooting lasers at them like this is Symphogear or something when all they are doing is calming down a brainwashing disease with song which is fully par the course for Macross I would say
>>
>>14139510

No-one in Walkure fights while singing either. Being in a battle zone and fighting are very different things, and Walkure were clearly an emergency force on a battlefield and not soldiers on one.
>>
>>14139523
>>14139527
It's more about the effect on the audience. You see the characters going out, getting fired at and blocking fire, you can say they are taking part in the battle.

The most logical course of action that any sane organization should do would be to not risk their lives for no reason other than to introduce an aesthetic of magical girls and instead have Walkure sing from the safety of a bridge like previous idols or at the very least from the cockpit of a VF.

It's not unthinkable that some of the audience would find this dumb.
>>
>>14138885
Just ignore/reqind idolshit
Im just here for valkyries
>>
>>14139544
>The most logical course of action that any sane organization should do would be to not risk their lives for no reason other than to introduce an aesthetic of magical girls and instead have Walkure sing from the safety of a bridge like previous idols or at the very least from the cockpit of a VF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAWUue_Cf9g
>>
>>14139544

They can't sing from a bridge though, because there's a very obvious range concern in even the first episode. The only Var victim cured has Mikumo literally right in his face. Everyone else is just incapacitated. Meanwhile, the Delta squad leader talks about the range of their song, which is only a few city blocks.

If they sang from a bridge or a cockpit they'd effect no-one. A cockpit would be worse, since a jet has to move. Fast. So they'd be flying over miles of space constantly at high speed and help literally no-one.

The members of Walkure are emergency workers. They were equipment to help them survive, they use equipment to help other people out and they accept the risks as part of the job. It's right there in the auditions. Freyja isn't even allowed to join until she experiences what they do even after saying she'd accept that risk.

Just because something is unusual doesn't mean it's bad, and the show is clearly going out of it's way to normalize it in universe which is all it really needs to do. If you don't like it, then fine. No problem with. Acting like it's out of line for Macross, or like the show isn't doing it justice is silly though.
>>
>>14139544
>you can say they are taking part in the battle.
Of course they are. That doesn't translate out to "They are literally fighting other robots"

>and instead have Walkure sing from the safety of a bridge like previous idols or at the very least from the cockpit of a VF.
First I'd say it's more badass to sing on the battlefield than do what every other idol does in the past but more importantly, the Walkure have the role of protecting other people during the attacks where the VFs can't be all the time with the shields.

I really think your "thinking this is dumb" comes from not being able to deal with that it's more over the top than anything else and it's full Kawamori at it's finest
>>
>>14139560
>The members of Walkure are emergency workers.
I think this is what throws some people off. They assume that the Walkure are an idol group that just happens to sing on battlefields. But really, they're emergency response personnel first, musicians second, hence the term "tactical sound unit". The risks are a part of the job.
>>
File: Mikumo Shield Drones 2.png (1 MB, 1093x603) Image search: [Google]
Mikumo Shield Drones 2.png
1 MB, 1093x603
>>14139544
>Walkure sing from the safety of a bridge like previous idols or at the very least from the cockpit of a VF.
Confirmed for not paying attention in Frontier and 7. It's made very clear that Fold Waves, like Sound Energy, has a rapid falling-off with distance without something to propagate it, whether it's Fire Bomber's speaker bullets, their Super packs, or Fold Crystal or Fold-Crystal related technologies. We know this because Singing is much, much less effective where there is significant distance between the singer and the affected (Compare Minmay and the Zentradi during their first encounter versus the battle in Earth's orbit, or Basara facing off against the Protodevilin; Max in the finale explicitly states that they have to get closer so the Song can effect the space vampires).

In Frontier it's Sheryl's earring that Alto wears taht propogates her and Ranka's singing to the Vajra Queen.

Also, Walkure is extraordinarily well protected. They each have multiple pinpoint barrier shields, which are clearly shown to be far better at protecting against energy weapons and missiles than the already super-tech armor that the valkyries are made out of (Though this was also true in SDF).
>>
>>14139544
>and instead have Walkure sing from the safety of a bridge like previous idols or at the very least from the cockpit of a VF.

The culture of a live performance distracts Zentradi and makes them more susceptible to Walkure's counter-fold-waves. Culture is more than just singing: it's also dancing and lightshows. That's why Delta Squadron dances, too. The whole spectacle throws Zents off until Walkure's anti-Var waves kick in.
>>
>>14139560
Couldn't they just use the sound pods Basara was shooting in 7?
>>
>>14139566
They even say this in the second episode, when they start off the auditions with the warning that anyone who isn't willing to risk their lives should quit.
>>
>>14139578
much less effective, requiring very accurate shooting and Basara uses them far less once they get their Sound Boosters.
>>
>>14139578

They could, but then they'd only be helping the direct Var sufferer's. And helping the public not only survive the attacks, but take them less seriously is a clear part of their purpose. And speaker pods doesn't help with that at all.
>>
>>14139578
Not even Basara uses that anymore once he gets that Sound Boosters

Song techno-magic>Speakers

Also it lets you shoot song Kamehamehas
>>
>>14139427
I don't like it. Whether or not it's "how it is" won't make me like it. That isn't how opinions work. Keep that in mind when you try to tell people that.
>>
>>14139576
The spectacle also plays an important role in minimizing civilian panic.
>>
>>14139589
I'm surprised by now though they hadn't found a way to miniturize SB technology into a type of round.
>>
>>14139645
What's the point though? With Sound Booster technology they can already project Sound Energy/Fold Waves to at least effective combat distance without the additional burdern of having to actually hit the target with a bullet first.
>>
>>14139645

To do what exactly?
>>
File: deculture.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
deculture.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>when the guitar kicks in at the beginning of the Love Halation ZA WAR
>>
>>14139652
>>14139671
Well earlier in delta we see that they have speakers around the town playing walkure music,however despite this the varl virus can stil occur.
So maybe of they developed a new type of round based on the sb technology and the walkure singers fold waves it could improve the VF's ability to counter the problem.
Or alternatively they could start messing with fold crystals again and load em up on those drones the walkure use.
>>
>>14139506

Yeah, that's the Macross I remember. Genuine comedy enjoyable for all ages instead of cringy LN grade crap that only greasy autists would find humor in.
>>
>>14138885

W
>>
File: Basara song energy ep27.png (279 KB, 632x304) Image search: [Google]
Basara song energy ep27.png
279 KB, 632x304
>>14139898
What about that time when Myelene shot Song Energy into Basara, curing his broken vocal cords and Basara vomitted Song Energy so strong that it causes wilting plants to bloom and can cause space vampires to orgasm? Remember that?
>>
>>14139333
Don't you mean Symphogear 0048?
>>
>>14139972
I'm still trying to forget.
>>
File: Basara song energy ep27 1.png (209 KB, 640x316) Image search: [Google]
Basara song energy ep27 1.png
209 KB, 640x316
>>14139979
Too bad, it's just as canon as your beloved Plus dogfighting.
>>
>>14139986
Kawa/m/ori's Wild Ride.
>>
>>14139979
>I'm still trying to forget
Nigga don't be such a downer. 7 has a lot of awesome moments that are completely ridiculous
>>
>>14139045
The first one wasn't. Minmay's idol thing was a subplot. It was a show about fighting giant aliens with space planes that transform into robots. 7 was when it started focusing far too much on music, and Frontier was when it went idolshit.
>>
>>14141125
7 was more idolshit than Frontier ever was. They made the idol the main character.
>>
>>14141125
>subplot
>DYRL literally has Minmei and Misa convert a whole zentradi fleet to UN Spacy's side with a protoculture song, thus saving humanity
>>
>>14141168
Kawamori said himself it wasn't supposed to be about the idols. They were bringing culture to the Zentradi.
>>
>>14141461
>Kawamori said himself it wasn't supposed to be about the idols.

Then why bother making the concept of idols and songs a central part of the narrative?

Also, citation needed.
>>
>>14141155
>7 was more idolshit than Frontier ever was. They made the idol the main character.

True but at least 7 had amazing japanese rock songs. And that redeems it in my view. Japanese pop on the other hand is really really shitty. Because of this Macross Delta will never attain the epicness of 7.
>>
>>14141481
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/#7a383b9b1683
>>
File: hRkq3MW.png (59 KB, 683x407) Image search: [Google]
hRkq3MW.png
59 KB, 683x407
>>14141125
>>14141461
Funny because according to that Forbes interview with him it sounds like the opposite.
>>
>>14139488
That pic was taken in GERWALK mode. That`s not a viewscreen, but an actuall glass out there.
>>
>>14141511
That part was during the battroid breakdancing moment though.
>>
>>14141498
Forbes knows what Macross is?
>>
>>14141523
they cover all kinds of shit, I think they're hiring more and different people or are probably buying articles from freelancers to do different things and try to cover varied areas of all life, not just finances and business

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/04/12/argyle-shift-brings-anime-mecha-piloting-to-the-world-of-virtual-reality/#33d661fd4a39
>>
>>14139606

Then Macross isn't for you then, baby dick. Deculture indeed.
>>
>>14141492

>epicness

Stop it.
>>
>>14139121
Thunderbolt is shit though?
>>
File: robotech 2.jpg (1015 KB, 1000x1122) Image search: [Google]
robotech 2.jpg
1015 KB, 1000x1122
So have we got any new names yet?
>>
>>14141461
>Kawamori said himself it wasn't supposed to be about the idols
That is the opposite of what I got from that article
>>
>>14139121
Macross Plus and Macross Zero aren't really financially successful compared to Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.
>>
>>14139121

ZZ and Unicorn say Sunrise and indeed, Tomino, can fuck up UC any time they want.
>>
>>14141523
Writer is a fan, Macross World member too.
>>
File: Smug Triangle.jpg (115 KB, 867x451) Image search: [Google]
Smug Triangle.jpg
115 KB, 867x451
>>14139979
>Thinking you can escape Basara's song
>>
>>14139121
>at least in gundam UC is safe

I sure love Unicorn's magical time travel.
>>
>>14139121
>Macross went to shit with Macross 7

SDF went from godly to shit immediately after the Zentaradis surrenders, the love triangle arc is unwatchable tier and the only good thing that came out is that Minmei got BTFO'd.
>>
File: LongLiveBelka.png (104 KB, 500x1800) Image search: [Google]
LongLiveBelka.png
104 KB, 500x1800
I've only watched the first few episodes...but I'm getting the feeling the antagonists are Belka.

But that might just be 'Knights in Planes' getting to me.
>>
File: 1461018870438.png (122 KB, 400x368) Image search: [Google]
1461018870438.png
122 KB, 400x368
>>14141920
>Macross Zero isn't really financially successful
>>
>>14142285
>the love triangle arc is unwatchable tier and the only good thing that came out is that Minmei got BTFO'd.

Nah, fuck you. Kamujin is by far and away the best character of the show and being able to see more of his shenanigans was totally worth the superfluous extension.
>>
>>14141492
>Japanese pop is really really shitty
>[nana intensifies]
>>
>>14142294
He said in comparison to those two. Not that it wasn't at all.
>>
File: Vrlitwhai_Kridanik-1_SDFM-7.jpg (19 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Vrlitwhai_Kridanik-1_SDFM-7.jpg
19 KB, 300x200
>>14142300
>more of his shenanigans was totally worth the superfluous extension.

Kamujin's shit is also one of the parts in the last arc that made the show somewhat watchable.

>Kamujin is by far and away the best character of the show

That's not saying much when his character is "the uncontrollable hothead" and is given very little character development as with most characters in the show.

Pic related, the actual best character, with Global being a close second.
>>
>>14142300
>superfluous
I for one was happy we got to see an actual epilogue to the war and it's aftermath and world building that would normally be regulated to speculah and manga spinoffs of dubious canon.
>>
File: yo buddy.png (1 MB, 1279x724) Image search: [Google]
yo buddy.png
1 MB, 1279x724
>>14142290
>But that might just be 'Knights in Planes' getting to me.

yo buddy
>>
File: 1424807285071.jpg (125 KB, 685x600) Image search: [Google]
1424807285071.jpg
125 KB, 685x600
Macross has always been about these three things:

fighter planes that turn into robots
idols and their music
giantess fetishism

As long as it contains these elements, you can call it Macross.
>>
>>14142333
>fighter planes that turn into robots
yes
>idols and their music
yes
>giantess fetishism
ye...WAIT A MINUTE
>>
>>14142326

It was a cold and snowy day...
>>
File: 1o2c5e.png (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1o2c5e.png
70 KB, 640x480
>>14142316
>Pic related, the actual best character, with Global being a close second.

Actually, I do agree with you on that 100%. I just didn't mention those two because I didn't think anyone else on here cared about them. =S

Kamujin is only the best for sheer entertainment value is what I should have specified.

>>14142318

That is true. It just could have been handled a lot better is all I'm saying. All though that's not necessarily Ishiguro's fault here since the extension was so last minute.
>>
>>14142337
7 and Frontier are the only true Macross.
>>
Delta is for people who like Macross for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>14138885
That's because you only watched the movies.
>>
>>14142346
What are the right reasons?
>>
>>14142361

Giantess Boobs!
>>
>>14142345
And DYRL
>>
>>14142346
>Delta is for people who like Macross for the wrong reasons

Macross is for people that like Gundam for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>14141492
>Japanese pop on the other hand is really really shitty
For you, at least.
>>
>>14142396
>For you, at least.

No, the genre is shit. Rock has staying power, pop music not so much. Why would that be ?
>>
>>14138885
Its "Macross 7 x Macross Frontier".
>>
>>14142471
and PLUS too and DYRL tooo.
>>
Having just watched the third episode, I'm really not liking the male protagonist.

Mirage was 100% in the right but they seem to portray her as if she's the bad guy in their encounters for wanting him to actually do his job. He's a layabout who should have been drummed out for not attending basic training.
>>
>>14142468
>rock has staying power
And everything you list is gonna be garbage dadrock or shitty pop rock like Planet Dance and it's all going to be old as fuck, because nobody makes it anymore for a reason.

And they're STILL playing Thriller on big market stations anyway so your point defeats itself.
>>
>>14142468
>Why would that be ?
Because you personally like that brand of music so you'll listen to more of it, surround yourself with it, and create the illusion for yourself that it's "objectively" better?
>>
>>14139606
As long as you admit that your argument is nothing more than "I don't like it because I don't like it" then that's fine, but all the rest of your points were bullshit and it doesn't change the fact that Delta is internally consistent with the rest of Macross.
>>
>>14142482
>I'm really not liking the male protagonist.
And that's fine. He's an ass and acts like one.

Having flaws is normal.
>>
>>14142482
>just watched the third episode, I'm really not liking the male protagonist.
Good thing there will be either 9 or 22 more episodes for you to grow to like him!
>>
>>14142498

Yeah, I just don't feel like he actually had that treated like a flaw rather than 'Oh, he is so quirky'.

He'd have a hard time keeping a job in the TSAB, let alone an actual military.
>>
>>14142471
How is it anything like Frontier at all.

It's supposed to be 7+Plus which makes much more sense
>>
>>14142482
>Mirage was 100% in the right but they seem to portray her as if she's the bad guy in their encounters
I don't know how you were reading that. I mean Hayate literally vomited on her, I think it was clear that she was justified in her dislike. Also she straight up said "If we let this guy in, he would get killed in his first battle"
>>
>>14142519

>I think it was clear that she was justified in her dislike. Also she straight up said "If we let this guy in, he would get killed in his first battle"

I dunno, the way I felt it came across was 'Curmudgeon who doesn't like the free spirited protagonist' rather than him being flawed.

I hope I'm reading too much into this.
>>
>>14138885

>Not watching 7
>Not watching frontier

go be a faggot somewhere else
>>
>>14142518
Are you blind? The art style, the animation, the cg, the character designs, the world designs, the music, they're all very similar to Frontier. The set up may be plus style valkyrie duels + 7 style fighting enemies with music, but the feel and the look of the show is very familiar to Frontier.
>>
>>14142527
If that was the case, then the end of the episode would have been Mirage saying "well I guess you were right" instead of Hayate saying "well I guess you were right, I'm gonna start coming to lessons"

What you are describing is Basara. Free spirited protagonist who can do no wrong
>>
>>14142527
Hayate is kind of a dick, and was skipping out on training and shit even after willingly joining.
>>
>>14142532
>Are you blind?
Are you? The artstyle is completely different, especially in faces. I also don't know how you can say the world designs are similar since we only got space San Francisco and the three planets we've seen all look vastly different from each other. I can only say in the sense that music is similar because it's the same genre.
>>
>>14142506
>had that treated like a flaw rather than 'Oh, he is so quirky'.
I dunno, somehow stalling a VF and nearly killing him seems like they were showing his lack of training.
>>
File: quality_subtitles.png (164 KB, 392x462) Image search: [Google]
quality_subtitles.png
164 KB, 392x462
Apparently [Doki-Chihiro] had more than a dozen people spend over a week per episode to give us brilliant visual masterpieces like this: https://my.mixtape.moe/facbdt.webm
>>
>>14142541
There are clear differences between the style and feel of Frontier and Delta, but Delta is clearly an evolution of the style established by Frontier. Delta is vastly more similar to Frontier that Frontier was to either Zero or 7.
>>
>>14142551
The german seems correct. Wasn't german being said right before the missile barrage?

>Shaharasti
>>
>>14142546
Not just his lack of training, but also his arrogance and flippant attitude and total lack of respect for his senpai.
>>
>>14142551
>karaokes
What year is it? 2005?
>>
File: 1452549053783.jpg (11 KB, 238x286) Image search: [Google]
1452549053783.jpg
11 KB, 238x286
>>14142326
>yo buddy.png
>not <<COME ON>>.png
>>
>>14142559
Well that's due to time period and animation, not the actual look.
>>
>>14142561
If you know how to count to 3 in German, you'd understand what he's saying without needing subs. If you didn't, these subs do nothing.

It's not a good idea to just blindly transliterate what's being said if you're subbing - defeats the purpose.
>>
>>14142574
This is a meaningless statement. It's been 8 years since Frontier and Delta is more similar to Frontier than Frontier was to Zero even though Fontier was only 6 years after Zero. Hell, Macross 7 came out the same year as Plus and they have drastically different visual styles.
>>
I only watched the first episode so far and didn't really like it (I can only deal with so much jpop) but yall have provided enough well reasoned arguments and I'll give it another chance. Thanks everyone.
>>
>>14142482

> I'm really not liking the male protagonist.

You're just mad 'cause he's dancin' on the planet dance
>>
>>14142576
The most correct way to translate it would be "Three, Two, One (In German)" with a different font, color, and possibly italicized. However, that's not very interesting stylistically and it's easy enough argument to make that an English speaker would be able to read "Drei, Zwei, Eins" and recognize that he's counting down in a third language that's neither English nor Japanese and probably German. It also avoids any potential future conflicts by labeling it as German only to find out in the future that Messer speaks some other language that's essentially German but called something else. Leaving it untranslated and un-subtitled is definitely the worst solution.
>>
>>14142622
>(I can only deal with so much jpop)
Well that doesn't get any smaller and will probably increase as the show goes on but I thought episode 2 and especially 3 were better than 1
>>
>>14142471
>Its "Macross 7 x Macross Frontier".

You're doing a disservice to both those excellent series. Delta is Kawamori's Macross Arjuna. It has nothing to do with Macross 7 let alone Macross Frontier.
>>
>>14142551
Looks markedly better than [gg]'s rushed speedsubs.
>>
>>14142714
But Delta has been better than Frontier so far in many ways

Actually, I mean Frontier kind of wasn't that great
>>
>>14142737
>But Delta has been better than Frontier so far in many waysActually, I mean Frontier kind of wasn't that great

I wouldn't go that far. Delta in tone is very similar to 7. Seriously look at the art, the world Hayate and Freyja are staying looks like a copy of the world Basara was in during the space whales ova. Even the colors, the background etc...

Frontier is on a completly different level. It's for lack of a better word really down to earth. It's also more serious with conspiracies, backstabbing, murders etc... You don't have that in SDF Macross, neither in Macross 7 nor Delta (at least for the time being). Even the main characters while being teenagers are more "mature". Alto is certainly better than Hikaru ever was. Ranka is like a childish Minmay and Sheryl is the epitome of a professional entertainer even though she's certainly not perfect either. And she knows perfectly well what she wants. No dancing around the pole.
There is nothing worse than a character that's forever undecided (aka Hikaru syndrome).
>>
>>14142816
>I wouldn't go that far.
I most certainly would. I may not have the hateboner many people have against it here and like parts of it, but that doesn't mean I don't see it's faults as well

>he world Hayate and Freyja are staying looks like a copy of the world Basara was in during the space whales ova.
I like the Ragna planet because it reminds me of the Zola planet. The Frontier city was vibrant and large but it was pretty much future San Francisco and we never really saw much of the other islands

> It's also more serious with conspiracies, backstabbing, murders etc...
None of those things instantly makes Frontier so great.

The rest of what you're describing is ridiculous. You're saying Alto is better than Hikaru? What a complete joke. Hikaru is a dense idiot but he's a way more realized character than Alto. Heck even Hayate is more realized character than Alto was if we compare their first three episodes.

>Ranka is like a childish Minmay
That's bad. Minmay was already ditzy

Tl;dr, I am much more into the characters and story of Delta 3 episodes in than Frontier's first 3. Even 7's first three but that's not a fair comparison because it was 50 episodes long
>>
File: TOY-RBT-4059_02.jpg (93 KB, 748x600) Image search: [Google]
TOY-RBT-4059_02.jpg
93 KB, 748x600
I only watch /m/across delta for the /m/echa.

Hell, I only watch ANY ani/m/e for the /m/echa.
>>
>>14142816
>It's also more serious with conspiracies, backstabbing, murders etc
And you assume that we wont get any of these in delta because...?
>>
>>14142468
>rock, AKA the genre that can't let go of the 60's and 70's
>"good"
>>
>>14142855
>And you assume that we wont get any of these in delta because...?

Call it intuition. We're going to get the standard bad guys (Windermerians) versus Delta platoon. I can be wrong of course but 3 episodes in (out of a 25-26 episode series) the vibe for backstabbing, military coups d'etats just isn't there.
>>
>>14142897
Not everything has to have a government conspiracy in it to be good, certainly not repeating something a previous series literally just did
>>
>>14142923
Agreed. Delta isn't going to be a carbon copy of Frontier, and that's a good thing. The fact that every series handles itself differently is a big part of what makes Macross so great.
>>
>>14142897
Freya will turn out to be a Windermerian agent sent to perform espionage. Hayato will sacrifice himself to prevent her actions from dooming Delta platoon and the other idols. Mirage will swear vengeance and season 2 will be announced as the optometrist arrives to pick up Freya in a Draken.
>>
>>14139121
>He didn't listen to his song
>>
>>14142966
Cute. But seriously, if there's going to be any conspiracy in Delta, it would be with Mikumo.
>>
>>14142923
>Not everything has to have a government conspiracy in it to be good, certainly not repeating something a previous series literally just did

I was simply expressing the fact that Frontier was a more serious down to earth entry into the franchise than Delta is. Why do people have such a problem with this ? Of course being more campy doesn't make Delta shit, it just makes it more like Macross 7 which was my point all along. And Macross 7 is a great series.
>>
>>14142966
>Freya will turn out to be a Windermerian agent sent to perform espionage. Hayato will sacrifice himself to prevent her actions from dooming Delta platoon and the other idols. Mirage will swear vengeance and season 2 will be announced as the optometrist arrives to pick up Freya in a Draken.

Ha ha ha good one. Better send it to Kawamori. Maybe he'll use it as a starting point for the next Macross tv series.
>>
File: Macrossu.jpg (112 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Macrossu.jpg
112 KB, 1024x576
Why no one is talking about the best boy?
>>
>>14142991
>I was simply expressing the fact that Frontier was a more serious down to earth entry into the franchise than Delta is
Well yeah but you also said in response to how Delta was better than Frontier so far in many ways >>14142816 that "you wouldn't go that far". If it was just a matter of them being different shows in tone, well, yeah duh.
>>
>>14143003
the arm are too thin.
>>
>>14143018
The captain is too thick.
>>
>>14143018
No? That's how arms look on Quarter size
>>
>>14143003
>Why no one is talking about the best boy?

How does the Macross keep those 2 carriers horizontal hanging in mid air (the arms are too thin to support them in this way) ? They're not in deep space, they're on a planet with gravity.
>>
>>14142518
I mean they did music focus with pop idols insted of a rock band
>>
>>14143037
>the arms are too thin to support
super future tech magic metals. No seriously. The Overtech present in Zero was already significantly greater than what we have in the modern era. Remember, the VF-0, before in-universe 2008, was able to achieve Mach 2.74 at 11,000m and power dual laser cannons using only Overtech versions of turbo-fan engines and its superstructure was strong enough to support significant atmospheric pressure that it could dive underwater.

Starting from the VF-1 (and battroid form of VF-0) you have Energy Conversion Armor, which draws excess power from the reactor into strengthening the hull, allowing millimeter-thick sheets of metal to be as tough as tank armor. It's not really enough to deflect the high-energy weaponry sported by Zentradi, but it has signficantly greater strength than modern materials.
>>
>>14143073
7 had the Jamming Birds though anon. If anything Walkure is an actually functional version of that. Also, j-pop rock is kind of dead in modern times
>>
>>14141155

Yeah, bro, but here's the kicker - Almost all of the music in 7 was pretty fucking GREAT and it was j-rock as apposed to this faggoty garbage we're getting in this show. Macross 7 is worth a watch just for the music alone.
>>
>>14143976
>shitty 90's j-rock
>good
>>
File: 1461173795955.png (318 KB, 479x600) Image search: [Google]
1461173795955.png
318 KB, 479x600
>>14143976
>not liking ikenai borderline
Shit taste detected.
>>
>>14144091

Back to /a/, homo. It's trash like you that have downgraded /m/ from what it was.
>>
>>14144139

Yes, and definitely not /m/ itself.
>>
>>14143976
>Almost all of the music in 7 was pretty fucking GREAT
Like 3 songs were legit great. It's really not fun listening to the same shit over and over again, it's a huge turnoff especially if you don't like the music.
>>
>>14144091
What exactly is on her head? Is it hair, or tentacles?
>>
>>14144214
It's like a penis tentacle thing
>>
>>14144206

The entirety of the Dynamite Fire and Re.Fire albums are far better than any succeeding or preceding Macross soundtrack.
>>
File: yijXVgu.png (103 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
yijXVgu.png
103 KB, 208x242
>>14144139
>likes glam rock
>calls someone else homo
>>
>>14144232
That's some neat opinions you've got
>>
>>14144232
Re:Fire is pretty good but Fukuyama Fire is the best of all of them
>>
File: image (1).jpg (74 KB, 650x422) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
74 KB, 650x422
I find it hilarious that /a/ has better discussions about Delta than /m/, they talk about the VFs, the plot of the anime, the way the current world in the anime is evolving, /m/ really has fallen a lot when compared to the past and to think I used this as my main board for years
>>
>>14144214
Its a rune.
Music penis.
>>
File: 1460759896786.jpg (226 KB, 942x1352) Image search: [Google]
1460759896786.jpg
226 KB, 942x1352
>>14139077
So the only thing that bothers you is shit that doesn't happen?

You must be loving the show then
>>
File: 1383114503526.png (212 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1383114503526.png
212 KB, 640x480
>>14138885
>>
Well, Mikumo is an android.
>>
>ITT: The Macross defence force at full throttle.

I have no words. How much do you need to be brainwashed to rationalize the worst entry in the franchise as something 'good'?
>>
File: 1460959339657.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460959339657.jpg
152 KB, 1280x720
>>14144843
How pathetic are you to shitpost in threads about a show you don't like?
>>
>>14139544
How does it feel to make yourself into a complete fool with each subsequent post you make? There is no saving face now, just shut up and move on and find some anime you may like
>>
>>14144843
So, you're angry that each and every single one of your bullshit argumetns got shot down by everyone pointing out that it happened in every other Macross? This is some truly sad shit m8
>>
>>14144843
You're going to have to do better than that to convince me that this is the worst entry when the first episodes have only been getting better and better.
>>
File: 2658633.jpg (110 KB, 350x377) Image search: [Google]
2658633.jpg
110 KB, 350x377
>>14144843
Stay butthurt retard.
>>
>>14144866
The worst part is he's been BTFO in every single thread he's been in, yet he keeps coming back with the same "not muh macross" bullshit.
>>
>>14138885
Have you watched the Macross franchise (hell even Robotech)? At all? SDM? 7 MF? FUCKING Zero (which is funny since it tracks two trends today that are unheard of at the time of it's release)?

Idols are what they do, they have been doing it before it was cool.
>>
>>14145041
granted that what's defined an "idol" in japan changed over the years, macross simply used its contemporary

X-Japan style band in macross never, closest is 7 but that's not even the same genre
>>
>>14145048
It has, but that is the point... at the very least, an idol (and usually all the drama that surrounds said person) is a permanent fixture of the franchise. The only thing that has changed, Delta might be the first Idol group of the franchise (I can't speak for Macross 7 but every time I hear of it... the groups found within catch me more as Bands than an Idol group, but they also blur that line), but that changes nothing really....

It a bloody funny that you have some one complain about it when it has always been something that is front and centre to the franchise. Macross was on the box, music will save everything and idol's are a part of that package.
>>
>>14145076
>Delta might be the first Idol group of the franchise (I can't speak for Macross 7 but every time I hear of it... the groups found within catch me more as Bands than an Idol group, but they also blur that line)
Google "Jamming Birds Macross 7". And the Macross VFX game had an idol group too.
>>
>>14142281
That was FullFrontal and Unicorn Psycho Frames resonating which displayed Amuro's memories which where in Unicorn to Banana
>>
>>14145419
>Amuro's memories
Amuro comes from the future? Because they saw the end of the universe.
>>
>>14139077
>'fight with bare hands.
The fuck are you talking about. They don't fight they are just singing. The only person that does anything remotely like "fighting" is Mikumo and even that is just her moving about and singing in different places and using her shield drones to guard people.

Stop being so butthurt about something you can't even explain yourself
>>
File: fz-109a-battroid.gif (138 KB, 708x900) Image search: [Google]
fz-109a-battroid.gif
138 KB, 708x900
>>14142848
Mein neger
Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.