[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into Area 88. There seems to be 2 versions of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: 0.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
I want to get into Area 88. There seems to be 2 versions of the OVA (separate 3 episodes and one compilation of the 3 I think?), which one I'm supposed to watch? I know the TV series comes after those though.
>>
>separate 3 episodes and one compilation of the 3 I think?
It doesn't help that the former is pretty hard to find.
>>
Actually the tv series and OVA are separate adaptations.

The OVA was 3 episodes, then the first two were merged into a compilation to pair off with the 3rd.

Don't ask me what was cut to fit to time, that's a mystery I've given up on.
>>
>>14132113
The eighties one.

https://bakabt.me/torrent/149697/area-88-blitz
>>
>>14132129
But why it has only 2 episodes?
>>
>>14132135
First two are just in one file. It's still 3 episodes, technically.
>>
>>14132141
Some mentioned in comment that this is not uncut version? Did they cut something off? Jesus this is weird.
>>
>>14132135
1+2 and 3.

It's fine, you're overthinking things.

All you should be worried about is
>manga translation never
>>
>>14132171
>tfw we'll never know how far it is to paradise
>>
>>14132157
What's annoying/even weirder is the official R1 DVD release is for that compilation version. No idea what the Area 88 license owners in Japan were remotely thinking there.
>>
Why do I love this OVA so much?
>>
>>14132724
Because high quality 80s animation by a guy who's a fucking /k/ommando when it comes to the details with aircraft.
>>
OP here just finished the OVA. Jesus Christ it was good. All that detail, animation, story, everything. Damn I liked it. Is the TV series any good?
>>
>>14133070
It's fine.
It's not the beneficiary of an 80's OVA budget and by the time it really finds its footing in the animation the show's over.

Would've benefitted from a second season or more but it kinda strove to be an advert for the rerelease of the manga and nothing more.

The sniper episode is pretty cool, especially considering it's an anime original.
>>
>>14133097
So it's same as the OVA but in TV format and some new stuff in it? Is there anything like this. Closest I can think is maybe Votoms, but it's not really same. This shit really hit the feels.
>>
>>14133070
No
Computer-drawn planes are shit.
The story has no structure.
Kanzaki is almost nonexistant.
Music is awful.
Shinn is blonde now.
>>
>>14133097
I completely agree with you and god I love that sniper episode.
>>
>>14133106
Yes and no.
It sources some more stuff from the manga and tosses in a few anime original shit. It's similar and different.

I'd describe it as being episodic tales set in the Area as opposed to the OVA being a story arc centered around Shin.

>>14133109
It's surprisingly not as eye raping as a mid-early 00's anime normally would be.

The worst they did with the CGI was forgetting until like the midway point or the canyon run episode to crank the framerate up, a lot of sequences look like ass due to them underestimating an appealing framerate.

Hell if anything a second season would've surely had pretty damn competent CGI work for its time, for a bunch of amateurs running off of passion they were doing pretty damn well with their chosen approach.
>>
File: unicorn_win.jpg (102 KB, 591x443) Image search: [Google]
unicorn_win.jpg
102 KB, 591x443
>>14133070
It's ok, OVA is still the best. Go play the SNES game now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X4O2QmiPg4
>>
>>14133962
I was about to say that! UN Squadron is one of my fav on the SNES. Also the arcade version rocked.
>>
File: UN_Squadron_logo.gif (27 KB, 492x418) Image search: [Google]
UN_Squadron_logo.gif
27 KB, 492x418
>>14135270
>my melanin-enriched brother.webm
>>
File: 20160419_194435.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160419_194435.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
I would have preferred if the ending was not complete shit tho.
>>
>>14135371
That is one aspect of the TV series I liked, the ending felt a lot better.
>>
>>14135371
Well to be fair I don't think the manga was finished by the time BURNING MIRAGE was being animated.

And honestly it's a well handled conclusion in its own way.

It's just that it kinda discards any notion of subtlety when it goes all hamfisted about how the battlefield changes people and all that shit we had foreshadowed by Mickey earlier on. And it makes for a very bitter conclusion to Shin's arc.

Bitter endings are the worst.

>>14135443
The anime's ending was kinda a non-ending, so it's sorta questionable as to how it ends better when it doesn't really have an ending in the sense of concluding a narrative arc.

BUT WHATEVER.
>>
>>14135454

It makes no sense to me. He decides to go back to the Area, which i loved, but the Area essentially is no more. What does he do once he gets there?
>>
>>14135459
HE LEFT TO DIE.

ALSO MAYBE THEY MOVED TO THE CLIFFSIDE BASE AFTERWARDS, I DON'T THINK THE NAMED CAST DIED ON SCREEN AT THE END. IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE I LAST SAW IT THOUGH.

But yeah the OVA skips over a lot of content from the manga. Like, you have the OVA and the anime, right? And they're war doramas, right?

The manga is like the prototype to Ace Combat once it gets going. There's some real cuhrayzee shit in there.
>>
>>14135482
But the manga has no translations right? Like why the fuck no one has translated this? Is it lack of proper scans or what?
>>
>>14135454
I'm not saying it was better, it just felt better. I haven't seen either in a long time probably should fix that soon and I'm just going off of the feeling I remember from the endings.

IIRC Shin finally makes it back but turns his back on the world he once knew and the one thing that kept him going. War has ruined him and now he wanders lost and without purpose. It's a bittersweet ending that I think evokes a lot of the emotive sense and turmoil Vietnam vets had when returning home like Mickey's character. And again, it's been years since I've seen it so I may be remembering it wrong or mashing everything together.
>>
>>14135501
Scans, probably.
Also probably doesn't help that it's old and not too well known judging by the fact that at any given moment there is a good chance of finding a thread on /a/ asking why there isn't an Ace Combat anime.

Which fucking blows my mind because we live in the world where AC: Infinity had a tie in event with Area 88 which should've helped improve exposure to legions of wallet warriors out there.

So I figure it has to be because people are too lazy to pay for volumes to debind and scan. Also two failed attempts at official release, clearly it's a cursed story.
>>
>>14135568
I found comic book stores by chance that had issues of the Area 88 translation from the 80/90s, man I wish I could have found more...
>>
File: area88snes.gif (34 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
area88snes.gif
34 KB, 256x223
>>14133962
>>14135270
>>14135352
>UN Squadron

GET OUT
>>
File: 1346378765040.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1346378765040.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
>>14133962
>yfw you learn that guy playing the piano killed himself years ago right before obtaining his masters degree
>>
>>14142165
Wait, what?
>>
>>14143880
The guy in the video suicided apparently.
>>
>>14142165
>>14143880
>>14146887
http://www.silive.com/obituaries/index.ssf/2009/08/george_cramer_24.html
>>
>>14142165
That always bummed me out. But I can't help but share his cover, I think especially because of that.

This is also a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamqgdm0XQw
>>
>>14147607
What the sod ever happened to YouTube Fame?!
>>
>>14132724
not sure, but i do share the feeling.

Also, for those out there that like Area 88 and are into plamo, check this store out:

http://www.rose-ridge.com/rose-ridge%20web%20shop.htm

Mickey's decal sheet suffers from some ENGRISH, but Shin's markings are spot on and go awesome with either 1/72 and 1/48 Corsairs.
>>
>>14151072
and by Corsair i mean Crusader. sorry.
>>
>>14151072
Ah the joys of building plastic planes.

None of that casual Bandai shit. THIN YOUR PAINTS in full effect.

I HATE IT
>HE HATES IT
>>
Ok, there's two version of the original OVA. Currently they are the Hanako encodes, which are the original 3 episode VHS release, and the whatever version of the two episodes of the original OVA. There's not that much of a difference but if you feel like a completionist you should be able to track down the hanako encodes and if not they're on AnimeBytes.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.