[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't the west design cool looking mecha? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 57
File: Planetfall-Mech-2.jpg (152 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Planetfall-Mech-2.jpg
152 KB, 960x720
Why can't the west design cool looking mecha? It's not a realism thing because Japan does realism better.

We all know Syd Mead did great work on Turn A Gundam but everything else is either trash or plagiarism. Their 'realistic' mecha are all battletech/mechwarrior/macross/dougram clones that can't match anything seen in a Takahashi show, King Gainer or Macross and their humanoid robots have none of the character of any Japanese humanoid robot.

Why isn't the west gud? What holds them back from getting gud? When will the west finally get gud?
>>
>>14121946

Yes, because King Gainer's fantastic Overmen like the rubber-banding Dominator and transforming jets are the pinnacle of realism.
>>
>>14121946
Because Japanese mechs defined your taste in mechs, so anything that deviates from that pattern you will call shit and anything that follows it you will call a ripoff.
>>
File: 1451758338226.jpg (82 KB, 680x525) Image search: [Google]
1451758338226.jpg
82 KB, 680x525
>>
>>14122002
What's the point of giving this mecha legs.
Seriously, at this point you might as well just make it a tank.
It's not a terrible design, I just don't quite see the point in owning it.
>>
File: 1452753242442.jpg (99 KB, 815x981) Image search: [Google]
1452753242442.jpg
99 KB, 815x981
>>14121963
Western mecha actually are kawamori and shirow ripoffs though. Which is the funny irony - the 'western style' is just regurgitated, superior Japanese style.

Sounds like you have a heavy bias problem. Suck it up and move on.

>>14121958
Watch/read King Gainer.
>>
>>14121946
Because there's no market for it.
There's Transformers, Pacific Rim, and thats it for popular western mecha.
Nobody except for nostalgic faggots and manchildren want to see giant stompy robots, and manchildren already watch jap cartoons anyways, so why bother?
>>
Lack of practice is one factor, probably the biggest one. Giant robots aren't a big thing in the west, so designers don't get much practice with creating them.

Another factor is probably perception. There are fairly few western mechs that grasp the idea that a giant robot, more than anything else, is a suit of armor. When Kouji is in Mazinger it effectively becomes his body. Trying to treat it the same way as a tank doesn't work because even if it allegedly plays the same role as a tank, a robot generally isn't treated the same way as a tank by how it's portrayed.

The third is that the west seems stuck in the 80s when it comes to robot designs. A lot of this comes from the major franchises ripping off what Japan was doing in the 80s and then just refusing to evolve for the rest of time, but those marshmallow-y proportions that you see everywhere are exactly the same sorts of things that you would see in the 80s in Japan, especially stuff drawn by Okawara. Part of this might be driven by toys: articulation has become much more important over the years, and with that proportions have changed to allow for more flexible body frames that don't need the animation to cheat as much when it comes to movement. Just look at the original art for the RX-78 and how the elbows have changed over the years so that it can actually bend its arms.
>>
File: supersammas.png (157 KB, 529x493) Image search: [Google]
supersammas.png
157 KB, 529x493
Admittedly, the Coalition's SAMAS powered armor is pretty awesome.
>>
File: direavengers.jpg (144 KB, 600x760) Image search: [Google]
direavengers.jpg
144 KB, 600x760
>>14122012
>There's Transformers, Pacific Rim, and thats it for popular western mecha.
Games Workshop have the market monopoly and they do the most creative mechs in the west.

Why not follow the leader? Sounds like laziness and lack of ability to me.
>>
>>14122006
>Watch/read King Gainer.

Funny, I did, and there's precisely one line of mechs in the entire show that can generously be labelled as realistic.

Overmen are biomechanical, they're patently unrealistic by nature at present anyway.
>>
>>14122052
I wouldn't exactly call that "popular".
Most normal people have never heard, nor play Warhammer and its derivatives.
Meanwhile Gundam, Evangelion, Macross are fairly popular even amongst the non-mecha fans in Japan.
>>
>>14122052
Shame creative doesn't always mean good.
>>
File: 1379717212565.jpg (221 KB, 642x677) Image search: [Google]
1379717212565.jpg
221 KB, 642x677
I am hearing some high grade heresy coming from your mouth OP.
>>
>>14121946
>We all know Syd Mead did great work on Turn A Gundam
Stopped reading right there. The only good thiing about the Turn A was the cow. No integral weapons, only a basic rifle and Gundam Hammer, retarded mustache, and worst cockpit placement EVER.
>>
File: 0ecc.jpg (433 KB, 1583x958) Image search: [Google]
0ecc.jpg
433 KB, 1583x958
Ignorant and arrogant westerner
>>
>>14122006
>Muh unseen

Oh, so you're a shitposter. Good to know.
>>
>>14122415
>no integral weapons
What are beam sabers, hip cannons, missile silos and moonlight butterfly

The cockpit placement is the most realistic place for a mecha cockpit if you want to minimise G-forces

The mustache is cool
>>
>>14122473
>Muh unseen
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
They don't understand mechanical design. Not even kidding. People think parade color nipponese mechs are unrealistic compared to western shit? Take a look at a fucking battle tank or almost any fighter jet. In reality they have large, clearly defined surfaces. Western mecha? Greeble and kibble and exposed crap everywhere. The end result is a mecha that looks like they built it out of scrap parts from the junkyard. It does not look good, it does not look realistic, it does not look believable.
>>
File: 1355192012886.gif (1017 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1355192012886.gif
1017 KB, 500x281
>>14122324
I kind of hate how underused the Dreadnoughts are in 40k compared to the Tau mechs or the knight titans.
I guess it's because of how clunky the in-universe more recent Dreds are compared to their 30k counterparts, but every time you see them in art they just kind of bumble fuck around.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41 KB, 480x360
>Why can't the west design cool looking mecha

clanner scum
>>
>>14121963
Pretty much this. People salivate over stuff like Metal Gear Rex, and yet bash the same asthetic style if it's done by a western designer.
>>
>>14122657
>Western mecha? Greeble and kibble and exposed crap everywhere.
Superior Nihonjin would never!
>>
File: The_Fell_Handed[1].jpg (122 KB, 876x627) Image search: [Google]
The_Fell_Handed[1].jpg
122 KB, 876x627
>>14122696
>but every time you see them in art they just kind of bumble fuck around

Nah man,dreds kick ass 24/7
>>
File: 1388624109484.jpg (111 KB, 453x580) Image search: [Google]
1388624109484.jpg
111 KB, 453x580
>>14122784
Indeed. Those filthy gaijin and their busy, over-designed mecha just can't comprehend the elegant simplicity that is folded a thousand times into the superior mechs of Nihon.
>>
>>14122784
>>14122813
I'm not seeing any exposed hydraulic piping, fuck off huge rivets, or useless revolving lights there boyo.
>>
>>14121946
The problem isn't with the designers themselves, the problem is that any design intended for a commercial product has to gain the approval of the MARKETING DEPARTMENT and their perceptions of what a giant robot that would appeal to the buying public should look like.
>>
>>14122823
>moving goalposts after getting called out

But even with that oddly specific list, SUPERIOR NIHONJINS WOULD NEVER!
>>
Is the thread finally starting to go in the direction of the forced westaboo versus weeaboo fight OP wanted?
>>
>>14122842
I find it hilarious that the reason Matrix and Avatar had such shitty mecha designs is because Hollywood was so convinced that audiences were so stupid they couldn't identify with the characters if they couldn't see their faces.

And then Ironman comes along proves you can easily do it by just showing the character's face with bunch of glowing HUD shit on their face, and audiences had no trouble following. (Doubly funny since I've seen at least 3 japanese shows steal the glowing HUD shit Face trick.
>>
>>14122856
He's just lucky I can't find a decent picture of Geneshaft. The mecha made entirely of pipes.
>>
>>14122856
>Western mecha? Greeble and kibble and exposed crap everywhere. The end result is a mecha that looks like they built it out of scrap parts from the junkyard. It does not look good, it does not look realistic, it does not look believable.
>>
>>14122005
Maybe giving them legs makes it more maneuverable on urban combat than tanks, that can only go one way and easily got stuck on obstacles, that legged mech can just, walk it over. Also legs means it can strafe easily to cover, and change their stance also height to archieve better firing point.
>>
>>14121946
>all this xenophobia

If movies like Transformers and Pacific Rim are any indication, Western production companies are capable of making far better looking giant robots than anything that has ever come out of Japan.
>>
>>14122884
It's funny because the transformers were designed by chinks. Also
>xenophobia
Wrong word there m8.
>>
>OP GETTING BUTTBLASTED NE PLUS ULTRA

I wish chanarchive wan't ded so specific moments like this would be preserved off all eternity. Like the original Orson threads orvthat mre thread ok /k/
>>
>>14122895
I like Pacific Rim, but he's fucking blind (or more likely trolling) if he's insisting Bayformers have good designs.
>>
>>14122901
>orvthat mre thread ok /k/
Are you alright?
>>
File: ray-7.jpg (142 KB, 1100x731) Image search: [Google]
ray-7.jpg
142 KB, 1100x731
>>14122757
What a dumbass. Yoji Shinkawa designed Metal Gear Rex, but he also designed the other Metal Gears and the mechs from Zone of the Enders. He's a diverse, creative and incredibly skilled artist and designer.

The issue is that the entire western hemisphere are talentless hacks who can only rehash the REX template endlessly.
>>
>>14122864
Can you really call them 'fights' when they're just weeaboos effortlessly curbstomping the 3 western mecha fans on /m/ every time?
>>
Japs design mecha to look like bipedal combat machines.

West designs mecha to look like mecha.
>>
>>14122951
So they both do the same thing.
>>
>>14122917
Touch keyboard are blegh to use.
>>
youre nutts rookie
>>
>>14122959

Congratulations, you're stupid.
>>
>>14122961
What was the point of your post, by the way?

>>14122982
Not my fault you said the same thing twice.
>>
>>14121946
>Why can't the west design cool looking mecha?

Destroyer droids are very, very good-looking. Their design and actions spell "SLEEK AND PREDATORY" before someone else can do it for you.

Instead of apeing Battletech, they should ape that instead.
>>
>>14122033
>>14122033
>The third is that the west seems stuck in the 80s when it comes to robot designs

The Armarauders mech and the new Mekton designs are pretty fucking outdated. The "new" Mekton designs still come off as crude.

Extra hate for Armarauders. It's very 90s "How to Draw Anime Mech" in a bad, cliched way.
>>
>>14122992
not all mechs are combat vehicles.
>>
>>14123034
Mekton has always been basically a Gundam game, though, to the point where one of the most popular iterations is called Mekton Zeta. It's basically off-brand Early UC by design.

That doesn't really excuse the quality of the artwork, but the designs are 80's on purpose.
>>
>>14123034
>The Armarauders mech
The comic books do look like shit.
>>
File: PFAH05_2.jpg (47 KB, 541x772) Image search: [Google]
PFAH05_2.jpg
47 KB, 541x772
Do Spartan Games do good mech designs?
>>
Western mechs are built on a shallow aesthetic of pseudo realism.

Just like how bulldogs are bread to look tough by exagerating traits assoceated with physical strength, so to do western mechs have exagerated joints, slab armor, and oversized weapons. Just as a bulldog isn't actualy very strong, so too western mechs are actually comically slow and impractical.
>>
File: P8iNv8u.jpg (130 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
P8iNv8u.jpg
130 KB, 1200x700
The best western mecha design I've seen was actually the original 2001 Bionicle, and even then that's not really mecha per se. The designs were inspired by Polynesian mythology combined with Easter Island aesthetics, resulting in something we've never seen in either Japan or the West. And all of this was for a toyline that eventually got squandered because Lego has no idea how to handle original franchises unlike Bandai.
>>
>>14122522
>The cockpit placement is the most realistic place
for a non-combat vehicle, maybe.
It's true that the hip is better than the chest or head for inertial reasons, but there's a reason tank drivers are *inside* the armor and not sitting on the front of it.
>but FIGHTER JETS
Fighters aren't designed to tank damage at all, mobile suits are. Fighters are all about weight efficiency and speeds that make them very difficult to hit even with high velocity machineguns. Mobile suits have panoramic cockpits and armor plating and punch and kick each other all the time.
>>
>>14123261
Bionicle prototype was even more tribal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjbiNuEv60c
>>
>>14122941
Nice bait
>>
File: Early bionicle_Mata Nui beneath.jpg (257 KB, 1600x1149) Image search: [Google]
Early bionicle_Mata Nui beneath.jpg
257 KB, 1600x1149
>>14123261
Bionicle is something that was, to put it bluntly, too good for Lego and completely went against its family-friendly image. It was a dark epic focusing on scary-looking gangly robot skeletons heroes and villagers/elders, fighting an evil entity who literally had no physical form, all the while worshipping a god that happened to be an ancient sleeping giant robot whose face they were on top of, and explain all this random sci-fi stuff using mysterious mythos and symbolic imagery like a fairy tale. MNOG and the 2001 commercials are masterpieces of conveying atmosphere and worldbuilding. The original creators even said that the concept of Bionicle was made more like a movie than a toyline. It's like some offspring of Transformers and Dune, but its potential was squandered because Lego completely misunderstood the line, which resulted in the terrible later years of Bionicle and its cancellation, and the now laughable caricature of a reboot.
>>
File: Early bionicle_islander robots2.jpg (662 KB, 1426x1600) Image search: [Google]
Early bionicle_islander robots2.jpg
662 KB, 1426x1600
>>14123307
>>
>>14123307
Shame, bionicle was so fucking cool
>>
>>14123322
To put it bluntly, Bionicle is what western creators are capable of without the usual shackles of being forced to just sell toys or just copying Japanese designs. It is its own, unique entity.
>>
>>14123307
2007 is the peak of bionicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnNJfvBL4mw

the one with spider is the worst year
>>
>>14123339
>>
>>14123353
>>
>>14123353
fuck i got that CD from Nestle cereal

it was fucking magical (i have 0 prior knowledge of technic or bionicle back then)

the music and atmosphere is so damn creepy it's so cool, the way they told the backstory using rocks and sands is just mystical
>>
File: GM vs Char's Z'Gok at Jaburo.jpg (403 KB, 1280x819) Image search: [Google]
GM vs Char's Z'Gok at Jaburo.jpg
403 KB, 1280x819
>>14121946
>this thread

You know, normally I'd agree with you, OP, but you had to be such a fag that I just can't. I don't like a lot of Western material, but there's still stuff out there.

Hell, normally I argue that BT and other Western mecha following in its "footsteps" are some of the worst possible Western mecha as opposed to things like SCUD, The Big Guy and Rusty, Sym-Bionic Titan, Megas XLR, or SRMTHFG, which generally follow their own rules and come out the better for it.

However, this thread is plainly bait for the good and innocent Western mecha fans here on /m/. I hate BT and I think it's a poor adaptation of a medley of series, but I still respect that people like it and will continue to do so, and similarly though I love the fuck out of eastern stuff I love western stuff too, at least when it doesn't take itself SUPER-SRS.

>>14122876
Mobile Worker doesn't have horrible panel lining though, nor guns in place of arms, nor aimless bowlegs, nor many of the things you describe. Have you ever seen what they did to Blockheads or Bigfoot units when they localized them for BT? That's bad shit.

Then you get the future generations of BT, and those are pretty much just what OP described, which is to say aimless sorta-knda plagarism and rather boring original designs.

The bad side of Eastern design mainly comes in the form of hammer-to-a-sheet-of-glass type robots that AFAIK became much more common at the dawn of the twenty first century, but IMO those are way less prevalent simply because they aren't from good series, either. Meanwhile, the blain old RX-78-2 has been chugging along in people's minds for years.

Whatever the case, I think that in the end all robots can be appreciated and enjoyed, if not by all the same people. I'll aways see Dougram as much better than BT but that doesn't mean that my opinion is better than someone else's.

At any rate, red flags should've been raised IMMEDIATELY at any mention of "superior Japanese". That's obious bait.
>>
>>14123361
>the music and atmosphere is so damn creepy it's so cool, the way they told the backstory using rocks and sands is just mystical

Yeah, Bionicle's atmosphere was incredibly well-conveyed in its first couple of years. It really was a tribal world, and the robot people in it were all scary as hell. The commercials, rudimentary as they were, were super ominous and mysterious. This was something completely different from your Transformers, Gundam, He-Man, Gi Joe, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk47EDfWK10

Then the MNOG puts you in the world, shows you what the cultures are like, the mythology, technology etc, and sets it up to be an actual setting with serious thought behind it. It didn't dumb anything down. What's most interesting is that almost NOTHING from the game had a set, which is ridiculous for any kind of toy commercial, even Gundam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqsrHtwf2Y
>>
>>14123388
And holy fuck, the original music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78I_VfIHC0
>>
File: 1443061123452.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443061123452.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
I think it comes down to preferences mostly, eastern mecha is like a large suit of armor and western is more like equipment or a walking tank, I like walking tanks.
>>
>>14122784
Japan have all kinds of mech designs, but Western mech fans always say "muh realism" when infact as anon was pointing out the designs are highly flawed.
So a good counter argument wouldn't be to post some bad jappo design. Because that wasn't his point.
>>
>>14123183
>Low budget ROTF Megatron and Jehuty
The originals were better.
>>
RIFTS guys
The mechs look good to me, and I own the corebook, sourcebook 1, phaseworld, and wormwood (all of which have Mecha)
Some of them are really original too
>>
>>14122823
Except the whole fucking thing is useless as a walking Christmas tree covered in bright purple slabs of armor and inneffectual green dressing.
>>
>>14123513
maybe try reading the thread, dumb westaboo.
>>
>>14122784
>>14122813

The quality of the show is directly proportional to

>Greeble and kibble and exposed crap everywhere.

>Argevollen is shit
>Valverage is shit
>IBO is shit

Coincidence? I think not.
>>
>>14122070
>Most normal people have never heard, nor play Warhammer and its derivatives.
Plenty of normal people have heard of Warhammer. They just avoid it like the plague because Warhammerfags are even lower than animefags on the social ladder. GW virgin caves aren't exactly tucked away, or rare.
>>
What do you consider the pinnacle of Western mecha design?

[Spoiler] I love Turn X, if that counts as Western [/spoiler]
>>
>>14123535
the power lifter from Aliens.
the MAWLR from Killzone 3.
>>
>>14123241

Bulldogs are strong as fuck compared to most other breeds you fucking moron. They can pull your ass right over when they want to.
>>
>>14123269
The turn A's armour is only so it looks like a gundam, it actually relies exclusively on its super I-field to defend itself
>>
File: CgKS7H8UUAA7GKC.jpg (125 KB, 1023x625) Image search: [Google]
CgKS7H8UUAA7GKC.jpg
125 KB, 1023x625
>>14121946
>>14122005
>>
>>14123535
Stan Winston, and Syd Mead mostly. Pre-CGI holywood mechanical designs were fucking great though. Mostly spaceships, little robots, and cyborgs, but they were pretty inventive.
>>
File: op1.jpg (320 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
op1.jpg
320 KB, 500x750
>>14123535
i wanna say transformers but then realized they are all designed by asian. even the live action.

gee westerners, get on with it
>>
>>14121946
Agreed
>>
>>14122052
post more,anon.
>>
>>14123388
Wonder if the fact that it was mostly designed by Europeans was the reason behind this creativity and more out-of-the-box thinking. Somehow I imagine that if it was a 100% American franchise meant to cater to American children, it would have been less unique.

Also, the idea to promote the backstory not by just plainly laying it out in front of you, but by developing an entire culture for the characters and showing it through their eyes, was crazy for a toyline. Too bad it was also hindered by its format, and now it's just a second or third-rate toy series that Lego doesn't give much of a shit about. Disregarding the lore, even the toy designs are messy. I can tell they're trying, but a lot of the toys look more like halfassed experiments than finalized designs.
>>
>>14124529

Nah, it would have been much better.
>>
>>14124529
>Wonder if the fact that it was mostly designed by Europeans was the reason behind this creativity and more out-of-the-box thinking. Somehow I imagine that if it was a 100% American franchise meant to cater to American children, it would have been less unique.

I agree with this. I find that Europeans make cooler designs more consistently than Americans.
>>
>>14124529
>>14124573
It's because Europe has a much better appreciation of sci-fi than the Burgers. Most of the guys behind Bionicle probably spent a lot of their youth reading Heavy Metal and were inspired by Moebius, Druillet, etc. I think Faber said he himself is a huge fan of Jean-Claude Mézières.
>>
>>14124605
To further cement my point, the moment Greg F, a real Burger, started inputting his ideas into the storyline (2005 onward), it started turning into a wanabe capeshit mess.
>>
So this thread has become Europoors being delusional now.
>>
The west may not do giant robots all that well.

BUT AT LEAST EVERY MANNED IMPLEMENT OF WAR WE'VE CRANKED OUT IS NOT ONLY FUNCTIONAL, BUT FUCKING AWESOME LOOKING.
>>
File: fail-35.jpg (139 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
fail-35.jpg
139 KB, 1024x683
>>14124658
>BUT AT LEAST EVERY MANNED IMPLEMENT OF WAR WE'VE CRANKED OUT IS NOT ONLY FUNCTIONAL, BUT FUCKING AWESOME LOOKING.
>>
>>14124662
t. Pierre Sprey
>>
>>14124662
Let's not fight about this, because you'll lose.
>>
>>14123448
Nailed it. That's exactly it.

Eastern mech designs are almost always designed as if they were prosthetics and the pilots attitudes in the shows are usually reflective of that.

Western mecha are always designed as if they're a tool that gets a job done. like a tank or a jet and again the pilots attitudes are almost always reflective of that.
>>
>>14124667
It looks like shit and performs like shit.

Fight me faggot.
>>
>>14124658
>>14124662
nice freedoms you got there
>>
File: spooky.jpg (116 KB, 500x744) Image search: [Google]
spooky.jpg
116 KB, 500x744
>>14124662
>>
I can't wait until lasers make jets obsolete.
>>
>>14124678
but lasers are impractical, west hates impractical things
>>
>>14124673
>performs like shit
Citation needed. Anybody want to get out F-35 Thread Bingo.png?
>>
>mech
HAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
STOP POSTING
STOP FUCKING POSTING
YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT MECHA
JUST STOP POSTING
AHAHAHAHHAHA MY FUCKING SIDES
>>
>>14124706

X^)
>>
>>14123183
they're good when working on other people's IPs
>>
>>14124605
>Europe has a much better appreciation of sci-fi
Eh, make that Western Europe. The other side barely got into the fun thanks to shit like the Soviet oppression and such.
>>
I did not think it possible to have a more swelled head than Americans in regards to anything, but lo and behold, you Europeans somehow manage it.
>>
>>14122442
Why does the one on the left look so much better? Are the proportions slightly different or is it just posing?
>>
>>14122005
>at this point you might as well just make it a tank
because the artist thought it was cool. You wont find realism in giant mecha shows because a tank or jet is always going to be a better option.
>>
>>14125279
The left is a more modern artwork for the model kit or whatever. I'm guessing Hasegawa or art for Macross Chronicle.

The right is an old 1982 box art from Arii's model kits copy-pasted.
>>
>>14125279
Proportions, in particular the way the one on the right has the slinky-ish bits extended down which causes the arms to look comically droopy. The frogface doesn't help either.
>>
>>14125184
Or maybe Americunts like you are just fucking terrible at mecha compared to anywhere east of you.
>>
>>14123307
>>14123322
>>14123339
>>14123357

Im really glad Faber decided to put these on the Internet instead of letting them remain unseen in a box somewhere.

The series actually came into being when LEGO was losing money and were willing to take risks to try and save themselves. This was a large part of why Bionicle was made to be so unique apparently.
>>
I just feel like they're either trying too hard to flip a tank vertically and put limbs on it, or they're 40k and drowning their designs in blood, skulls and spikes.
There's of course exceptions but they tend to be animu-inspired in some way.
>>
>>14125346
>The series actually came into being when LEGO was losing money and were willing to take risks to try and save themselves. This was a large part of why Bionicle was made to be so unique apparently.

It was also the first real story-driven IP Lego had ever touched, so they let their staff go crazy with it. Most of the early Lego themes after Bionicle like Knights Kingdom and Exo-Force were also remarkably well-put together with the worldbuilding and story, though none ever reached the level of the first 2 years of Bionicle.
>>
>>14125371
>the first 2 years of Bionicle
I'll give you world-building, but the story in those years was nothing special, and some stuff (like how the mechanics of the Bohrok nest functioned, why the Exo mechs were hidden there, what made the heroes fall into energized protodermis) I couldn't put together coherently without reading the wiki.

But at least 2002's story was somewhat focused, whereas 2001's was split up all over the place because Lego didn't know how to manage their media and because that PC game got axed.

Which is something that they still fumble up even now with the reboot. Didn't it cross their minds that this was one of the reasons why kids gave up on Bionicle in the first place? Because the story, besides being continuity-heavy, was told so shittily through the various media?

Also, I just reminded myself how much I wanted the Exo-Toa set as a kid. It may be a pretty basic mech design, but I always liked its colors and that deployable head. Too bad it had next to no story importance because Bob Thompson hated it.
>>
File: Hey_Sully_HD.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hey_Sully_HD.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Westerner can do incredibly good mech design.
You'll just never see them in mass media because Directors and CEOs think overpaid actors and American-Spirited-Character are more important than the metal they imbue with their freedom and awesomeness.

Even movie with plane suffer from this. The plane is depicted as accessory to the actor's might.

And that's not starting on Bayformers, the only way to accept SOULLESS METAL as "protagonist" is to humanif...nevermind we will put them as background behind the actual human protagonist.

>>14124685
> but lasers are impractical, west hates impractical things
Explain the F-35 and why the US is the first to field laser on their warship.
Funny thing, the laser is actually practical and only refinement keep them from blowing any aircraft 400km away, F-35 is still a scam
>>
>>14125412
I don't expect ESLs to know anything about the F-35 so don't worry about apologizing. Good luck on the language m8
>>
File: skye_by_carlo_arellano-d98a3ec.jpg (124 KB, 826x968) Image search: [Google]
skye_by_carlo_arellano-d98a3ec.jpg
124 KB, 826x968
If you lurk the concept art sites like artstation you find good mech Western mech artists.

By Carlo Arellano.
>>
File: tank2.jpg (141 KB, 1171x1600) Image search: [Google]
tank2.jpg
141 KB, 1171x1600
>>14125459
>>
>>14125463
>>
File: carlo_a_07.jpg (129 KB, 1178x842) Image search: [Google]
carlo_a_07.jpg
129 KB, 1178x842
>>14125474
>>
File: trevor-claxton-huntress7.jpg (124 KB, 634x1000) Image search: [Google]
trevor-claxton-huntress7.jpg
124 KB, 634x1000
>>14125477
Another good artist, Trevor Claxton.
>>
File: trevor-claxton-slothb13.jpg (109 KB, 1000x783) Image search: [Google]
trevor-claxton-slothb13.jpg
109 KB, 1000x783
>>14125491
>>
File: trevor_03.jpg (192 KB, 888x1200) Image search: [Google]
trevor_03.jpg
192 KB, 888x1200
>>14125494
>>
File: bossssssy2.jpg (293 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
bossssssy2.jpg
293 KB, 800x1280
>>14125498
>>
>>14125506
>>
>>14125494
That one is technically Eastern. It is from russian MMORPG "Project Genom"
>>
File: hunterandpet10.jpg (145 KB, 1600x1444) Image search: [Google]
hunterandpet10.jpg
145 KB, 1600x1444
>>14125508
>>
File: dehr_boxguard.jpg (108 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
dehr_boxguard.jpg
108 KB, 1024x682
>>
File: royalrobord.jpg (494 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
royalrobord.jpg
494 KB, 900x1600
>>14125510
Russia is closer to the West than they are to Japan. Also the designer is American. OP obviously meant anime mech designs.
>>
>>14125519
Geoffrey Thoorens
>>
>>14125412
The AMP suit is not a very good design for many reasons besides HOLLYWOOD DEMANDS FACETIME FOR THE CAMERAS
>>
>>14125530
>>
>>14125535
>>
>>14125540
>>
File: 1401577715158.jpg (58 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
1401577715158.jpg
58 KB, 624x480
>>14123357
>Mata Nui is just Denmark
Oh my fucking god.
>>
>>14125519
Err... Russia have direct border with Japan. With Europe too, but never the less.

Genome would be cool game, BTW. If they manage to complete it, that is.
>>
How come no one's talked about Aaron Beck yet?
http://skul4aface.blogspot.ca/2013/10/k-e-l-o-i-d-ii.html
>>
>>14125571
Stylistically and culturally. Russia doesn't have Japanese anime art influences, which is why tons of Western game companies outsource their work there.
>>
Western art sure likes making giant robots do tactical operator rifle-holding poses half of the time, such as AIMING DOWN SIGHTS WITH BOTH HANDS
>>
If western designers suck so much, why did Kawamori hire an entire studio of French mecha designers?
>>
>>14122052

implying this would exist without nagano
>>
>>14125659
France doesn't count. It's the weeabooiest country in the world.
>>
>>14125670
Runner-up is Taiwan then Indonesia, oddly.
>>
File: B-29_in_flight.jpg (129 KB, 1024x656) Image search: [Google]
B-29_in_flight.jpg
129 KB, 1024x656
But we have the original mech
>>
File: AFVH2a-600a.jpg (187 KB, 600x634) Image search: [Google]
AFVH2a-600a.jpg
187 KB, 600x634
Critical Mass Games has a pretty good mech, kind of looks like the walkers from Battlefield 2142
>>
>>14125659
Is that why his designs have gone to the trash? Fucking hell, I never even knew.
>>
>>14125921
The shitty Valks are still his. They did the Logos mechs though. I think. Don't quote me on that though.
>>
File: populationrussia.jpg (1 MB, 2034x1336) Image search: [Google]
populationrussia.jpg
1 MB, 2034x1336
>>14125571
>Err... Russia have direct border with Japan
Technically, yes, but nobody lives in eastern Russia. The country may span both Europe and Asia, but all of the Russians live in Europe.
>>
>>14125659
Because he's very stupid.
>>14125696
One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
>>
File: tau-release-1.jpg (138 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
tau-release-1.jpg
138 KB, 873x627
>>14122799
>>14122324
>>14122052
this is literally one of my favorite mechs, you guys are shit
>>
>>14126059
Nowhere near as good as orkz
>>
>>14125491
This is just ripping off Shinkawa's MGS 1 and 2.
>>
>>14126066
please kill yourself and your meme race
>>
>>14126088
At least our memes look good
>>
>>14123619
Modern bulldogs live to be 6 years old, have trouble breathing, and can only give birth via C-section. There are breeds that attempt to reconstruct the breed back when they actually fought bulls, but most are toys bread to look tough, just like how american mechs are bread to look armored and shooty rather than be practical weapons.

"Walking tanks" have no real advantage over actual tanks. For all the talk of realism, it's just a poorly implemented aesthetic.
>>
>>14126059
>Tau mechs are okay, but the human ones are absolutely rubbish. Babycarrier mechs and stubby legged dreadnaughts.
>>
>>14126094
>ork memes
>good

Fuck off with your dakka shit. By ork meme logic Strike Freedom is the prime example of how to cram weapons onto your mech. "Durr my mech has a million bazillion guns". Fuck you. Orks only aren't the worst 40K race because the Imperium exists.
>>
>>14126156
>By ork meme logic Strike Freedom is the prime example of how to cram weapons onto your mech
How else would you do it.
>>
>>14126156

Chaos is pretty shit. They are the imperium, except edgier.
>>
>>14126059
I would love this if it weren't for the feet.
It just looks like it's about to fall backwards at any moment.
>>
File: knightimperium.jpg (152 KB, 800x606) Image search: [Google]
knightimperium.jpg
152 KB, 800x606
>>14126106
>I can't hear you over the missiles detonating harmlessly on my armor plating.
>>
>>14126200

I'm just wondering why they need to write an entirely new subfaction of the Imperium just so that they can have mercenary giant robot operators.

And how, apparently from the way the Tau suit is being gutted, did the double-chainsaw Knight be able to saunter all the way up front without being cheesed.
>>
>>14126059
best Tau mechs are the drones, everything else is boring
>>
File: 3182067-pacific-rim-robot.jpg (527 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3182067-pacific-rim-robot.jpg
527 KB, 1920x1080
>>14126100
>american mechs are bread to look armored and shooty rather than be practical weapons.
Except for the ones that don't.

This whole argument is so arbitrary. American/Western mechs are only allowed to be walking tanks or they get called anime knockoffs, despite the Battletech walking tank aesthetic originating from Japanese designs to begin with.

The problem is that giant robots are a common thing in Japan and there been hundreds of different spins taken on them there compared to only a small handful in the US. Of course everything has already been done. It's like calling every Japanese superhero a ripoff of American comic books. No shit, comic books have done fucking everything. The fact that there were a billion bug themed American heroes before Kamen Rider doesn't really change anything about Kamen Rider. It just means that there are tons of American superhero comics, so naturally they have already experimented with every practical variation on the idea.
>>
File: tau.jpg (66 KB, 799x546) Image search: [Google]
tau.jpg
66 KB, 799x546
>>14126200
this picture is stupid
Tau are legends at playing keep away, how the bloody fuck would a Knight get that close, they would sooner abandon the mech and tactically retreat, then be caught face to face with an opponent they can't beat.

also Tau are supposed to be more advanced(and advancing), so it makes 0 sense for anyone to trade even with them, period, it just so happens they lack space deity magic, or numbers to match up with anyone right now.
>>
>>14126243
Is it one random 40k picture anon, you don't get fits remembering there was female orkz do you?
>>
>>14126219
They aren't a new faction, they're a vehicle that was recently transitioned from epic to tabletop. Also they're piloted by a human.
Also they are considerably more durable than a crisis suit, with imperial armor plating and I believe void shields as well.

>>14126243
Fast attack.
The Imperials know their weakness and are eager to exploit it, you can't run forever.

What's all this about trading? Also 'anyone' is rather broad, it's a big galaxy.
>>
>>14126255
I miss the Ork Imperial Guards. And the Squat
>>
>>14124635
Most threads on this website have at least one whiny/smug yurocuck or spic
>>
File: America fuck yeah.jpg (102 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
America fuck yeah.jpg
102 KB, 500x375
>>14124685
>implying
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/politics/us-air-force-laser-fighter-jet-weapons-research/
http://www.onr.navy.mil/Media-Center/Fact-Sheets/Free-Electron-Laser.aspx
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.