[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 23
File: maxresdefault.jpg (98 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
98 KB, 1920x1080
After all the shitposts, what went good in IBO?
>>
File: statler waldorf.jpg (17 KB, 250x169) Image search: [Google]
statler waldorf.jpg
17 KB, 250x169
>>14120242

it ended
>>
RAISE YOUR FLAG

Survivor sucked though.
>>
>>14120242
The Graze.

It also had some interesting concepts, and such that were either fresh to gundam or not used that much, but they were glossed over, PMC focus, Mars Setter, the cybernetics, etc. But it was all just kinda side shit, or was let down by the shows short comings.

Basically conceptually I like the show, but I hated the exicution that I've dropped it twice now, and I honestly don't know if I'll pick it up for S2. Sunrise just needs to take a break from shitting out so many AU's in a row, same with all the UC ovas and I say this as a gundam fag.
>>
The Barbatos and it's fighting style were pretty refreshing. That's about it desu, any potential it had was squandered after they met the Turbines.
>>
File: 1443875948757.jpg (67 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
1443875948757.jpg
67 KB, 600x804
I really liked the mecha designs. Gaelio was an okay character who served his purpose well. If I was meant to hate McGillis, they did that well by making him send the only characters in the show I did like and hoped would grow into something to their deaths after using them like he did.

Well minus Akihiro, but he just... doesn't seem to do much after his little aniki episodes thing. So it's easy to forget he's even still in the show. Even in the final battle his fight is just a still scene of the aftermath of what must've been a really cool battle by the looks of it.

Everything else for me is just a whole heap of "Well this could have been good or interesting, if..."
>>
>>14120259
ORUUUPHENSSSS NAMIDA also great.
>>
>>14120242
It had some good designs.
I liked the first Op.
>>
>>14120242

I like the design choice to have only conventional-type weapons instead of beam rifles and beam swords.
>>
>>14120257
This, but don't ginx it. They may still bring it back for a second season. Sunrise loves their 52 ep series.
>>
File: mw ibo.jpg (54 KB, 547x335) Image search: [Google]
mw ibo.jpg
54 KB, 547x335
>>14120242
It was okayish.
>>
>>14120242
Mecha design in my opinion.
>>
>>14120242
GRAZES, ALL THOSE DELICIOUS GRAZES.

And a couple of good doujin.
>>14120257
WOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOH
>>
>>14120465
BEST ED!
>>
>>14120242
It had a few emotional moments that tugged on my heart strings (just one or two though), it had my favourite male voice actors, and the mobile suits generally looked pretty good, Gusion and Man Rodi aside.
>>
First Opening
First Ending
Main track of the OST
No beam spam
Barbatos's first mace
Few nice chara design (Kudelia,Orga)
The starting settings (the slaves freeing themselves)
>>
>>14120268
This. There's a lot of interesting concepts in it, but the show deals with them in the worst way possible.
>>
File: 1450126437296.png (322 KB, 600x985) Image search: [Google]
1450126437296.png
322 KB, 600x985
>>14120242
Kudellia being beautiful and the second OP, first ED.

Atra meme.
>>
>>14120242
ED1, mech designs.

>>14120257
Not yet.
>>
>>14120242
The OP songs? I guess. Far more exciting than anything the show had to offer.
>>
GRAZE YOUR FLAG
Both of those.
>>
>>14120462
I'm still pissed at how they completely wasted the gusion
Rebake a shit
>>
>>14120242
Seeing Ein kick some ass in ep 24 too bad shit got real in the next episode and probably the next season if they won't replace the goddam director and writer.
>>
>>14120242
Kits... only the kits. Lot of panel lining opportunities. The show still suck some dick tho.
>>
File: Ein fucked up.png (180 KB, 765x269) Image search: [Google]
Ein fucked up.png
180 KB, 765x269
>The OPs and EDs
>Those fucking god tier suit designs
>The OST was much better than G Recos and equal but separate from the first Build Fighter's
>Mika best gundam pilot in years
>Atra was a pretty great supporting character with, well, character. Shame she went Kudelia sugoi after a while.
>Likeable cast of characters overall
>NO BEAM SPAM
>Drinking lots of shitposters' tears after S2 was announced
Hopefully with a new director IBO will become one of the greats
>>
File: 53957614_p0_master1200.jpg (47 KB, 406x528) Image search: [Google]
53957614_p0_master1200.jpg
47 KB, 406x528
I liked the reduced amount of existential crisis bullshit, it felt like IBO broke from the 'spaceboys cracking under pressure' trope that everyone's overfed with. It was more blunt and straightforward than other big Gundams. At times exaggerated and pompous, but that's what you get in series that has characters named after dairy products.

Some other pros: grazes and flag OP as previously mentioned by other anons, best girl Olga, best sidekick girl Atra (also low quality Atra that no one really minds because that's fucking adorable), douchefag Gjallarhorn crew that somehow managed to still win a glimpse of my sympathy in the end, space harem, Kudelia being useless with mundane tasks, land combat, Ein becomes mecha
>>
File: 1457892210268.png (492 KB, 602x566) Image search: [Google]
1457892210268.png
492 KB, 602x566
>>14120841
>>
>>14120259
>RAISE YOUR FLAG
Only tv version though. Full sucked.
>>
>>14120879
>everyone's overfed with
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>14120841
>>Mika best gundam pilot in years
>>Atra was a pretty great supporting character with, well, character. Shame she went Kudelia sugoi after a while.
>>Likeable cast of characters overall
>>NO BEAM SPAM

>>>/AnimeSuki/
>>
File: 1453262055208.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1453262055208.jpg
111 KB, 1280x720
>>14120892
You must be 18 or older to post here faggot.
>>
>>14120242

Dino wrench, Gali Gali, Carts.
>>
Tekkadan's baller coats.
>>
>>14120462
Yeah, this. It had a lot of squandered potential.

When Biscuit died, I thought it was about to turn into MGSV, and for a while the final battle did, but then it was averted.

It was like they were afraid to follow through on their own ideas.
>>
>>14120923
True why doesn't anyone talk about the badass tekkadan jackets? I need one
>>
>>14120242
Mecha design.

Lack of beam weapons was refreshing if not always well-executed. Same with most of the concepts, really; it's like someone had a good idea but had no mind for how to actually do it.
>>
File: Plvsodx.jpg (236 KB, 567x549) Image search: [Google]
Plvsodx.jpg
236 KB, 567x549
>>14121240
Because there are better looking jackets.
>>
File: 1460525090381.gif (2 MB, 491x271) Image search: [Google]
1460525090381.gif
2 MB, 491x271
Tekkadan-Turbines fight in episode 7
Ein (until we found out he didn't kill anyone)

Nothing else comes to mind.
>>
File: kooderia ayna barushtein.png (344 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
kooderia ayna barushtein.png
344 KB, 595x842
>>14121240
how about Kudelia's puffed up capris
>>
>>14121240
>why doesn't anyone talk about the badass tekkadan jackets?
They're pretty weaksauce desu
>>
Carta arc. Had people having some serious discussions about the nature of and conduct in war. It's nice when Gundam lives up to its promise and actually has you thinking seriously about what armed conflict really means.
>>
>>14121545
>Carta arc
That was great. You had people arguing over what war constituted and whether or not honor had any part in it. First time in a while Gundam actually promoted legitimate talks about war.
>>
File: cartoon.jpg (558 KB, 1062x752) Image search: [Google]
cartoon.jpg
558 KB, 1062x752
>>14121568
Shame about her character design. Seems like designer just went ayyy lmao and gave her that neony drag skunk look.

Looks okay in fanart, but as for animation, it's plain awkward
>>
>>14121630

Uhhh that's GBF pal
>>
File: 1456688739039.jpg (3 MB, 1280x5040) Image search: [Google]
1456688739039.jpg
3 MB, 1280x5040
IBO had a lot of bad scenes, but it had a few good ones like this.
>>
>>14121632
Yeah, I posted the wrong image, the preview was too tiny for me to see properly because it was too tall. And because of the deletion delay, I couldn't delete it fast enough.
>>
>>14121568
Honestly, i'll take beamspam from any of the gundam shows released in the last 10 years over the utterly pointless shooting in IBO.

I don't know why anyone in this show has guns or bothers with them. Mobile workers are the only ones that can be destroyed that way and action sequences with them were some of the worst things in the show.
>>
>>14121633
this, I liked this
>>
>>14121545
>>14121568

>Had people having some serious discussions about the nature of and conduct in war

No? People were crying over there shitty dead waifu, nothing really substantial even came about other than a few butthurt anons mad that a stupid character died in a war which isn't uncommon in Gundam.
>>
>>14120242
It reminded me of how much better G-Reco was and how shallow /a/ and animesuki really are.
>>
>>14121686
G-Reco had better animation for sure, and the suit design ripped straight from King Gainer could be argued to be better as well. However, you're a shit eating liar if you try to tell me G-Reco had a better story and cast of characters. Tomino himself admits the message and story of G-Reco got lost somewhere early on into production. This is further proven by the end cards which state things like "You won't understand if you don't watch the next episode (and you still wont)" or "Don't hate things you don't get" Like he was trying to cover his ass afterwards.
>>
>>14121711
>Tomino himself admits the message and story of G-Reco got lost somewhere early on into production.
Oh look another retard
>>
>>14121711
>However, you're a shit eating liar if you try to tell me G-Reco had a better story and cast of characters.
It did. The fact that for 6 straight months no one has actually explained why IBO has better characters and story is proof enough.
> Tomino himself admits the message and story of G-Reco got lost somewhere early on into production.
Why do you do this? We have a fucking pastebin that shows you're full of shit, anything G-Reco related gets covered here so you can't lie about what Tomino said about G-Reco here.
>>
>>14121646
Would you prefer shit blowing up left and right like usual? Mechs just going up in fireballs because someone looked at them funny? It gets tiresome because that's what we get all the time. It's nice to have a show where the robots actually feel like giant metal edifices that have to be chipped away at.

I will agree that their inconsistency undercuts it though. Graze machineguns don't seem to really harm other MS, and a Graze takes a shell from Gusion's cannon but is mostly fine. But then you have Grimgerde blow away two Grazes in a row with basically the same kind of rifle as usual.
>>
>>14120242
Raise Your Flag is one the best Gundam OPs out there
>>
>>14121735
I love how this retard doesn't even prove a point.
>>
>>14121745
Not even close
>>
>>14121747
Its called not having a strong opinion.
>>
>>14121735
>Would you prefer shit blowing up left and right like usual? Mechs just going up in fireballs because someone looked at them funny?
But that didn't change for melee though. All they did was make one aspect of combat useless and thus when anyone was using a gun it was boring as we knew no one but at best 2 random suits (and even then guns didn't always kill Grazes) might die. It is piratically the opposite problem of beam spam and at least beams look good.

>chipped away at.
This would be great, if it happened more than twice. Instead we either get completely ineffective hits from glorious space nippon steel or one hit kos like normal.

I feel like half the stuff people praise about IBO is completely fabricated from the initial concepts, and exaggerating the issues it was "fixing"
>>
>>14121486
I completely forgot why they were fighting
>>
>>14121299

Lack of beam weapons was a solid plus. After decades of beams errywhere, they get boring. If beams are meant to be so powerful in comparison to other weapons, they should be rare, in order to emphasize that power.
>>
>>14121900
>they should be rare, in order to emphasize that power.
Why?
>>
>>14121896
Because the ex-tekkadan director used to work with teiwaz and asked for a favor.
>>
>>14120242
Likable supporting cast, good soundtrack, most competent masked rival in Gundam history, battles won by the skill of the pilot instead of overwhelming tech advantage, no "special attack of the week" upgrades, MS actually backed up by non-MS combat troops and tactics, and complete lack of whining from the MC.

Mikazuki reminds me of that George Carlin routine about praying to Joe Pesci instead of god. I'm going to start praying to MIkazuki from now on, because Mikazuki GETS SHIT DONE. No sobbing and crying, no giving up and running away, no screaming about how the enemy is unfairly forcing them to fight, no preaching about how twisted the world is or how horrible the other guy's motivations are, just professional efficiency.
>>
>>14121735
The problem is that armor will never be able to withstand weapons in the same time period. Even with Gjallerhorn purposely stagnating weapons development, they should still remember what they used 300 years ago to end the Calamity War.

Oh, they just used Gundams? Okay. I'll believe that the most efficient way to take out a fast-moving mobile suit is not to improve my weaponry (reminder that Guison Rebake had an instakill railgun that was never mass-produced for some reason), but to focus only on the reaction time of my pilots. And only make 72 super-soldiers to stop the war.
>>
>>14120242
I enjoy all the kinetic weapons.
>>
File: quality char.png (95 KB, 264x177) Image search: [Google]
quality char.png
95 KB, 264x177
>>14121911
>most competent masked rival in Gundam history
no, just no. His main goals seem to be tackle corruption, get more power and deal with daddy issues

From when we first meet him to before dort he does fucking nothing apart from barely being able to fight off one kid who had never been in space before. After that he was Mr Exposition man and LOL PEDOFILE cause ibo is so original. At dort he gets Kudelia handed over to him so he can use her, and then just lets her run off and nearly get assassinated which is against his plan. Then he turns up for a battle for like 20 seconds, he might hit one guy and does that back to back pose. For the remainder he just walks around being palpatine levels of subtle about the robot stuff. He then has robo Ein made who accomplishes nothing, and then kills his best friend who was on board with whatever was thrown at him.

So in 25 episodes he managed to be more corrupt than another other ghorn person we saw. Weakened their position which usually leads to more corruption in organisations. Now if he can take over (which seeing as all the people in charge are still there will still take a lot of doing) he will now have a bit more power than he would have but no one under him he can trust and if anything created a power vaccum there which would mean more corruption. No clear plan how from this position he would actually stop corruption. In fact from that position he could do fuck all about it as he would have so many other responsibilities and couldn't see what was happening everywhere. So he didn't tackle corruption but cause more, he now has access to gain more power (but also has no route to get the power he would have by controlling carta who would do anything he said) and his dad is fine.

Harry Ord is still king of chars
>>
>>14121944
>falling for the bait
>>
>>14121911
Mikazuki doesn't have any sort of emotional pathos or reason to care about him.
>>
>>14121944
>His main goals seem to be
>seem to be
We're only halfway through, anon. We have no idea why he's trying to bring down Gjallarhorn. He talked to Gaeleo about corruption, but he himself was the traitor who caused Gjallarhorn to lose satellite tracking of Tekkadan.
My bet is that it's going to be about who his real father was and the likely event that Gjallarhorn is the reason he's an orphan (he was adopted into the Fareed family, remember?).
>>14121982
>bait
Just because I have a higher opinion of the show than you do doesn't make me a liar, anon. Sorry to hear that you can't process the idea of someone really liking something and not just pretending to like it so you'll make "clever" replies.
>>
>>14122032
>We're only halfway through
So? You said most competent but are now trying to argue his goal is some vague thing we have no idea if he has come any closer to accomplishing. So at best you could argue you have no idea if he is competent, what we do know is he spent most of the show doing nothing but give exposition and having tea with a loli off screen
>>
>>14122032
I can't mentally process somebody writing all the things you put in your first post without busting out laughing in the middle of typing it, that's all. Especially since some of them are outright lies.
>>
>>14122046
>So at best you could argue you have no idea if he is competent
Not if you actually watched the last two episodes, no. Everything is going exactly according to McGillis's plan. We don't know exactly *why* he's doing what he's doing, but he's still doing it flawlessly.
He's maneuvered Carta into throwing herself at Tekkadan until she got herself killed, caused a political upheaval that resulted in his father's exile, and murdered the older brother of his fiance which now makes him the heir of *two* of the 7 Stars.
>>
>>14122103
>We don't know exactly *why* he's doing what he's doing, but he's still doing it flawlessly.
yes you do as you have no idea if what he is doing is right otherwise.

He may have "flawlessly" killed notgarma but if we actually know his plan we could go hey that was a dumb move cause X, which as I pointed out early could be he has no trusted right hand man with certain connections. Same sort of deal with Carta.
>>
>>14120885

That's almost always the case in anime.
>>
>>14121901

Its the great equalizer in this universe. Laughing at nano laminate armor and melee heavy mechs. Even a single shot long reload weapon will melt the mech and leave nothing more than a clean burn mark where the cockpit was
>>
>>14122121
>you have no idea if what he is doing is right otherwise.
Are you just unable to process the fact that he laid out to Gaeleo that his plan went perfectly? This isn't something I'm making up here, not even "connecting the dots", he flat out told Gaeleo that Carta's death, the scandal over Ein, and Gaeleo's death would leave him the head of both families.

You're either trolling or very, very stupid.
>>
This topic could serve as a place to come up with legit criticisms against IBO the sheeple are too blind to see.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-15-21-30-24.png (534 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-15-21-30-24.png
534 KB, 768x1280
>>14121240
Closest I've seen is this, not sure how I feel about it
>>
>>14121680
>No? People were crying over there shitty dead waifu, nothing really substantial even came about other than a few butthurt anons mad that a stupid character died in a war which isn't uncommon in Gundam.
Found the grektfag.
>>
>>14120259
I liked Survivor. I'm at a point in my life where I relate to the lyrics a lot.
>>
The closest we'll ever get to a good battletech show.
>>
>>14122178
>>14122103
>>14122032
>>14121911
Its hilarious how killing two retards makes you the most competent Char clone in the franchise especially when you've done nothing of significance otherwise up till this point. I guess we were wrong about Chronicle, Rau, Neo and Zeheart.
>>
>>14122948
We really were

Especially about Neo fuck that guy
>>
>>14121888
>I feel like half the stuff people praise about IBO is completely fabricated from the initial concepts, and exaggerating the issues it was "fixing"

This is pretty much it. But what can you expect from an audience that doesn't care about animation and aren't able to absorb visual information? It makes no sense considering the execution has done nothing to emphasize the concept as something new i.e. >no one hit KO weapons like beam spam. In reality most of the battles is Mika one hit KO everyone and it's the same as any Gundam show minus beam effects and explosion. In fact it's worse than beam spam because of no good sakuga to show especially during fights.
>>
>>14120242
Good beginning
Good end

As shitty as it was, the first few episodes and last one were pretty good. I'd go as far to say that while it's the worst gundam, it has an above average final episode for the series.
>>
File: IkPDh (1).jpg (136 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
IkPDh (1).jpg
136 KB, 500x383
>>14121944
this
>>
>>14123409
>Good beginning
>Good end
Nice meme
>>
>>14123462
Not him but the beginning showed a lot of promise (from me reading into it and expecting potential) and was HYPE as fuck but the show climaxed an episode early. Final episode was a little weaker because they couldn't pull off clichés like Orga giving the speech or Mika haxxing his way to victory correctly. It felt kind of empty so I'd give the last two episodes a combined 4/10 in a 2.5/10 series. Too bad it started at around a 7/10. I was Hoping it would maintain an average of 5ish but instead we for shit.

>>14122908
fag
>>
Robots were good. Mikazuki was an interesting take on Gundam's protagonist. First OP was great and first ED is awesome.
That's it.
>>
Maybe it's because I haven't seen the "beamspam" Gundams like SEED, but I didn't really like the lack of beam weapons. I guess laser guns just feel like an essential part of giant robots to me.
>>
File: crumbled_biscuit.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
crumbled_biscuit.jpg
152 KB, 1280x720
I know I'm in the minority here but I really liked IBO. It had passing shades of Hideo-san's Wild Ride aka Metal Gear Solid which endeared it to me.
>>
>>14123479
You'll get here someday, anon, where the future seems to meet the present and you're not sure where you're going, but you're glad to have made it this far and you want to hold on to the bit of happiness that you've snatched out of reality's fist.

Not saying it's better than RAISE YOUR FLAG, I just liked it too.
>>
File: 1452775200299.jpg (69 KB, 540x512) Image search: [Google]
1452775200299.jpg
69 KB, 540x512
all i can say, watching thunderbolt after IBO makes it so clear that IBO wanted to be a grimdark mature show, but didn't quite have the balls to go all the way after the first few episodes, not to mention gotta focus on Relena clone number 4.
>>
>>14124469

What are the chances that the controversy around episode 3 made them tone down the show?
>>
>>14124970
What controversy?
>>
>>14124970
Kinda big I guess, the rebellion in Dort 3 also stirred up some controvesy. Guess people don't want to see alot of bloodshed on Prime time JP television
>>
>>14120242
Lafter? I thought she was sexy.
Other than that, nothing really.
>>
>>14125044

Apparently some organisation wrote to Japanese broadcasting networks and complained that the violence displayed in IBO - mostly citing Mika executing those adult CGS members - was too excessive.

Disregarding, of course, the fact that the animating is done weeks if not months in advance. There was no on-the-fly decision-making here.
>>
>>14125054
Oh, God, that's dumb as hell. Japan is so sheltered in some ways. I thought it was obvious that they were referencing the real life labor protests that turned bloody. The shit was literally happening this decade in South Africa.
>>
File: Monologue-ing.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Monologue-ing.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>14121633
I laughed so hard at that scene.
>>
>>14125095
And the follow up.

>>What are we going to do in the snow?
>>pompf =3
>>
File: Dueling.webm (1 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Dueling.webm
1 MB, 800x450
>>14125098
It might help if I attached the damn file.
>>
>>14125095
>>14125103

Wufei would probably have killed these guys in their sleep.
>>
>>14125120
Considering he bombed barracks where soldiers were sleeping, yeah, yeah I guess you could say that he would.
>>
>>14125063
>Apparently some organisation

It was some PTA. They used to be big shit back when politicians backed them up with bubble money.
>>
>>14121568
>characters in life and death situations not waiting for the villains monologue to finish.
my favorite part at lest. Honor is the dead and those about to die.
>>
anybody got images for displaying QUALITY?
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.