[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A Gundam series has not been a 10k average seller since 00
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: sip4.png (167 KB, 306x273) Image search: [Google]
sip4.png
167 KB, 306x273
>A Gundam series has not been a 10k average seller since 00 S2
>That was fucking 2008
>>
Even the nipponese are tired of gendum.
>>
>>14118988
Is it good or bad?
>>
Gundam has been kind of trash for a while.
>>
>>14119051
Unless you only care about the UC OVAs, which aren't TV shows obviously, I don't think it's good.
>>
>>14118988
Good. We need some new mecha shows.
>>
>>14118988
What about Build Fighters?
That must have sold well.
>>
Do younger fans even take to newer gundam? Most posters here are under 30, so likely exposed after the 80's/90's VHS anime trade, more when online videos got big. A vocal majority here are all about UC and the occasional side series, almost all of which came about before the 90's.
>>
>>14119127
Blu-ray BOX版 【全2巻】
巻数 初動 累計 発売日
限定(通常) 限定(通常)
BOX1 3,845(2,483) *,***(4,616) 14.03.26 ※合計 8,461枚
BOX2 4,046(3,802) 4,305(4,046) 14.06.20 ※合計 8,351枚

Close but no cigar
>>
>>14119152
Man anime is a bizzare industry when you realise that around 4000 sales can be considered a success.

>>14119128
Iron Blooded Orphans could have been a great way to get kids and adults into Gundam again

>'gritty' plot, todays kids hate kiddy shit
>Cast is full of kids that are young enough for kids to relate to, but serious enough that adults can also relate to

But, you know what happened to IBO
>>
>>14119119

>Implying "new" mecha shows can sell either

Is there any reliable source for BD/DVD sales statistics out there?

>>14119127

It sold well enough as >>14119152 denoted (for an expensive "kids show" boxset it is rather impressive really), and even Try managed to sold half that amount (purportedly) which is better than a lot of late night anime
>>
>>14119187
>Is there any reliable source for BD/DVD sales statistics out there?
http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/
http://someanithing.com/

ANN releases the top sellers every week too
>>
>>14119185
That's what happens when you price your products at $100 a pop and are relying almost entirely on plastic or other merch to make your paycheck.

Does anybody who knows anything about television industry know how much ratings can factor into dollars? Not more exposure = more customers or guaranteed same timeslot for sequels but if the station or commercials can directly get you cash just for having a popular series. I'm guessing it's a no but I want to be sure. Info on either the Japanese or American industry is fine.
>>
>>14118988
Unicorn sold badly? This is a serious question because I don't know. Or are we not counting OVAs?
>>
>>14119214
>Or are we not counting OVAs?
I was refering to TV series
>>
>>14118988
Gundam's primary source of income are the gunpla
>>
>>14119213
I don't know a ton, but at least with most TV shows here they are produced by the channel and revenue comes from ads.

In Japan I think most anime studios actually have to buy time blocks. I think some studios are subsidized by certain channels to some degree, but most studios rely on inflated disc prices sales to make up that difference.
The channels still run ads, so they still get their shekels, but are dependent in some degree that their is content to fill up their airing blocks.

Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me.
>>
>>14119248
Oh crap, I just realized how poorly it was worded. I know commercials are a huge source of income for the show although I'm not 100% sure how that money is distributed between the channel/station and the program. Stations have to be getting their immense incomes from somewhere and it doesn't seem like the program itself has much profit left to take. I knew the part about time slots and subsidized shows (for example, NHK basically pays to air things for ratings rather than disk sales or merchandise) but I'm at a loss as to where these multi-million dollar productions gain profit. Obviously studios don't go in the red every single time (except Manglobe, RIP) so the other millions in costs have to be made somewhere. And I doubt it can all be from merchandise. Or am I underestimating otaku and secondary products?
>>
>>14119276
>Or am I underestimating otaku and secondary products?
I think so, otherwise it just doesn't make sense economically, at least not to me
>>
File: topsell.jpg (1 MB, 1200x3000) Image search: [Google]
topsell.jpg
1 MB, 1200x3000
It has been a while since we've had a big Mech series, hasn't it?
>>
>>14120196
It's because robots don't appeal to their escapist fantasies

But they appeal to mine
>>
>>14120196
You know, It'd be pretty easy to edit Attack on Titan to make it into a mecha show.
>>
>>14120218
But that's Zeta
>>
>>14120218
You do know that SnK is MuvLuv just with shitty shonen tropes added into the mix, right? Isayama is a fan of the franchise.
>>
>>14119214
Unicorn never sold badly. It's the monster hunter of gundam show
>>
>>14120196
>Osomatsu-san
>100,070

That's the second highest Vol.1 sales after Love Live S2.. I'm glad it did so well.
>>
>>14120302
nips are easily fooled because of that first episode where they parodied modern anime. osomatsu was alright, but its sales were disproportionally large for what it is.

shows like osomatsu selling 100k is a pretty good reason why the disc sales = quality is bogus.
>>
>>14120361
>nips are easily fooled because of that first episode where they parodied modern anime.
I don't think a show gets 100k because of just it's first episode
>>
What were the average sales for destiny?
>>
>>14120805
>>
>>14118999
>Even the nipponese are tired of gendum.

Good. Maybe that'll lit a fire under Sunrise's ass to do something out of the ordinary. And no IBO is not it.
>>
>>14119185
I hated mecha, when i got into anime (december 2014) even gurren lagan wasnt that enjoyable.

Then i saw IBO because i was bored and wanted to try one of the new shows. I came in with (what at the time were) low expectations/expecting to hate it and I ended up getting hooked and liking it anyway.

It got me to watch 079, zeta, and i am about to start either ZZ or CCA
>>
>>14118988
00 was made in practically a different era from now

No mecha show will ever get the same numbers Gundam used to have back in the day
>>
>>14120371
This is Japan. Osomatsu is an average comedy that only gets any creds because it had the neat premise of empowering the new generation as the old generation. Most anime remakes look to the past, and not the future.

The comedy is your typical lol random series with plenty of modern references everywhere. It's the kind of self referential meme shit that's popular on the Chans. It's simply dank memes in anime format which is why it caught on.
>>
>>14121185
Most people enjoy that kind of stuff, not just ones on the Chans.
>>
>>14118988
Funny to think that Banrise continues to milk the franchise, making forced stories just to sell merchs and got money even thought they know that mecha genre is dying.
>>
>>14121201

I see the mecha is dying meme still going strong.
>>
>>14121198
>Most people under the age of 25
ftfy
>>
>>14121209
Whatever you say anon.
>>
>>14121208
Nah. Just look at the most high selling merchs around. Maybe I'm wrong, I should have used the word 'Gundam".

Nevertheless people nowadays prefer other genre than mecha because it's too childish and impractical as well.
>>
>>14121208
Mecha is dead
>>
>>14121219
>because it's too childish and impractical as well.
You have just described most of anime in general, pat yourself on the back.

The real reason it isn't doing well probably has something to do with that it doesn't focus on waifus. Waifus sell, man.
>>
>>14121224
No it's not.

>>14121238
It's just not in style at the moment, particularly not with kids. You people act like not getting eighty new /m/ series a season means mecha is dying.
>>
>>14121238
Even IBO tried the concept of Waifus. Hell they'd went straight into hell.
>>
>>14118988
Banrise is the one who kills the Gundam itself.
They are continuously milking the franchise desperate to get the present generation as a market. It is evident in IBO, shitty stoiryline, dumb merchs, simple build design of gunplas.

What Banrise is missing or continuously ignore is the fact that we are getting tired of Gundam. Since 00 we've got a crapload of gundam series and all that failed (except for Unicorn). Compare that to past decades that iot almost took a two years or more before we got a new Gundam series.

If Banrise is determined to keep the franchise alive, then they should let it take a break.
>>
>>14121185
>Osomatsu is an average comedy that only gets any creds because
>typical lol random
>self referential meme shit
>dank memes in anime format which is why it caught on

You genuinely sound upset that it's popular
>>
>>14118988
The 00s was an era of impulsive buyers since anime caught on to a new generation thanks in part to mainstream success like SEED and the first FMA TV series also there was not nearly as many anime being made back then so there was very little competition. The season in which 00 premiered in what exactly could compete against it?
>>
>>14121355
Just remember that Banrise is a lot bigger and can afford to put out shows faster than they used to, especially since they aren't working on Unicorn anymore. The problem is the content, which is being sold quick and dirty. GBF might have done just average for its initial run but the effects on the marketing are still visible because it has performed wonderfully over time. Meanwhile you have Try which sold well enough even if it was just a fad, G-Reco which was a more modest cult hit (although I suspect much more went into production too so profits would be significantly smaller), and IBO which is probably doing well enough with character merchandise to be offset the lackluster ratings. Of these, only Try could be considered a failure (and only because it had no lasting popularity). IBO, despite people claiming hit or flop, is edging by on BDs enough to be considered average.

Are they wasting a generation by putting instant sales over the need to get kids hooked with a well-planned, higher risk series? I think so. Although G-Reco did not flop in a financial sense, I think it failed in Tomino's intent to reach kids.

So we have the 0079-ZZ generation of fans, the smallest, more casual Wing/G generation of fans, the character-focused SEED generation of fans, and the 00 generation of fans. What does Sunrise expect their next generation to be? IBO fans? Do they think you can capture the hearts of a generation with this? It's less original than 00 Season 1, less ambitious than Wing or G, flatter characters than SEED, and doesn't capture the magic of Early UC.

What is Banrise's plan?
>>
>>14121146
>>00 was made in practically a different era from now
>No mecha show will ever get the same numbers Gundam used to have back in the day

Gundam 00 did like 36k average between both seasons. I'm not asking for something that high. I'm just saying it's not hard to get an anime to sell 10k average as long as you appeal well.
>>
>>14121443
>What is Banrise's plan?

They don't have one. Just sailing by sight, if an iceberg hits them too bad.
>>
>>14121562
You mean an AGEberg. We're already on the life rafts, surviving day to day without thinking about the future. Banrise just hasn't realized that we made it to shore.
>>
>>14121552
>Gundam 00 did like 36k average between both seasons. I'm not asking for something that high. I'm just saying it's not hard to get an anime to sell 10k average as long as you appeal well.

You need good writers and let the toyetic aspects take a back seat to the story. This is not Banrise's strategy anymore. They're putting the toyetic aspects in the foreground and paying lip service to the writers and everything else that could contribute to the story. The end result is always a shitty series that is really not worth watching. Just buy the gunpla directly if that's what you favour. The Gundam franchise is literally being devoured from the inside out.
>>
>>14121443
>What is Banrise's plan?
Crashing this mech...
>>
File: Dr Merribit I'm IBO.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dr Merribit I'm IBO.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>14121803
... with no SUBAIBA!
>>
>>14119152
Actually, despite not getting 10k, Build Fighters is the highest average Gundam TV show since 00 with G-Reco just a little bit behind

Title Avg. Sales
Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE 2,270
Gundam Build Fighters 9,351
Gundam Build Fighters Try 4,441
Gundam G no Reconquista 9,012

IBO isn't complete with it's releases so no accurate average there yet.
>>
>>14121185
Only the first epjsode really relied on the dank meme shit.
The rest of it is just well done character driven comedy.
Like the part where they're trying to convince their mum to let them stay as neets, and one of them activates her motherly instincts by being as pathetic and helpless as possible.
Keep in mind that a lot of "memes" have their basis in reality. There's a big difference between making fun of reality, and just memeing.
>>
Mecha fans spend money on plastic rather than DVDs that's why
>>
>>14119185
Well selling 4000 units isn't so bad if each boxset costs at least 30000JPY.

I remember near the end of DVDs that stores were practically giving movies away. Even the latest Hollywood movies could be bought for 4,99.
>>
>>14121146
00 was also good, which helped. Nobody wants to have AGE or IBO on their shelf.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.