[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what am I in for? I want over the top fights and to jump from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: shin mazinger.jpg (65 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
shin mazinger.jpg
65 KB, 354x500
what am I in for?
I want over the top fights and to jump from the chair screaming ROCKETTO PUNCH
>>
>>14114728

You will get the absolute best incarnation of Mazinger bar none. Still not that good, for obvious reasons, but still better.
>>
>>14114743
>You will get the absolute best incarnation of Mazinger bar none
kek

>I want over the top fights
Don't watch Shin Mazinger because you're not going to get much fights. It's mostly a family drama. Go watch Mazinkaiser, Mazinkaiser vs the Great General of Darkness and Mazinkaiser SKL if you want over the top fights.
>>
>>14114990

It's true, and you can't prove otherwise. The fights are about as over the top as the OVAs anyway.
>>
>>14114743

It's not only the best, it's the only good incarnation. And yeah, there's over the top fights, just not in every episode.
>>
>>14114728
Basquash was better.
>>
>>14115336
Was this the most half-hearted forced meme /m/ has ever produced?
>>
>>14115677

Not by a long shot.
>>
>>14115694
I mean there's ones we've forced way harder, but the whole Basquash VS Shin Mazinger thing felt REALLY phoned in. Like people were forcing it for purely for memes' sake, and they didn't really care outside of that.
>>
>>14115336

Whatever happened to the remake of that? The first episode was great, the next few were interesting and set up a solid team and then the it was all thrown out for idols and while the ending was kind of sweet, it was still not nearly the show I had hoped from the first episode.
>>
>>14115266
...or in most episodes. Or even in 1/3 of the episodes. There's more fights in SKLs three episodes than in Shin's 26.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>14114728
This summarizes what you should expect to see.
>>
>>14116480
The series opens with a fight that lasts from episodes 2-6. Even not counting episode 2, that's still four episodes, you gibbering retard.
>>
>>14114743
>>14115266
>>14116875
The fights in Shin Mazinger are kind of shit, except when Imagawa is actually adapting the source material (Episode 11, 15).

Mazinkaiser was a commercial success. Shin Mazinger was not.

Oh, but keep your shit up about how Shin Mazinger was the only good Mazinger adaptation. It has a terrible reputation in both its home country and spain.

I don't even hate Shin, and I actually like it, but to claim it's the only good one means you fags are over the moon and your opinions are based on some alternate reality.
>>
>>14116927
>and spain
>>
>>14116875
Half of the fight scenes from episode 2- 6 are fucking FILLED TO THE BRIM with needless expository dialogue and CONSTANT flashbacks. There is, at the very fucking least, ONLY two episodes worth of actual action material.

Literally the only good part of the entire series were the last 3 episodes. The rest was typical Imagawa trash that has gotten so overdone and dull that if you've seen all his other shows before this you best just fucking skip it, because you'll get nothing new.
>>
>>14116927

Commercial success and reputation have nothing to do with how good something actually is or not. On top of that, you're implying nostalgiafags have any idea of quality in a work, which they don't. You're the one over the moon in this situation.
>>
>>14114990
Mazinkaiser SKL was total garbage t b q h
>>
I think Shin is fine, but I do think the focus should have been more focused on Kouji.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there was anything wrong with the Kuroganes. But the story is pretty much Dr.Hell's, Tsubasa's, Baron Ashura's, and the Mycenaean's. And while it is cool to see the re-imagining of this side of the story, Kouji, Boss, Sayaka, and the Photon Lab crew are pretty much observers. They don't really feel like the main characters of their own show.

But I enjoy Shin for showing us this side of Mazinger. I think if we could have a mix of some of this show's backstory combined with the structure of Mazinkaiser while still having Kouji and Z be the focus, that would be my dream Mazinger Z story.
>>
>>14118149
>Dr.Hell's, Tsubasa's, Baron Ashura
You're wrong.

Swap out Dr. Hell with Kouji. Dr.Hell wasn't the main character.
>>
>>14118149
Yeah this is my biggest complaint with Shin. It does interesting things with the supporting cast but the core Mazinger characters (apart from Baron Ashura who is basically a dual protagonist along with Kouji) feel like an afterthought. Sayaka barely makes an appearance between the first arc and the last two. Kouji's basically an engine to drive the plot forward with Mazinger Z, he doesn't really serve much of a narrative role outside of that. He's a pawn in the game between Dr. Hell and Tsubasa, a tool of fate who has no control of his own destiny just like the tragic Greek heroes.
>>
>>14118179

So they're just as boring and unimportant as they always have been. Don't know why you Mazingerfags don't love that, considering how much you claim to love classic Mazinger.
>>
>>14118179
>He's a pawn in the game between Dr. Hell and Tsubasa, a tool of fate who has no control of his own destiny just like the tragic Greek heroes.

That's pretty badass actually. And now that I think about it, Kouji even showed Zeus a thing or two, so maybe being a tragic Greek hero isn't so bad for Kouji.
>>
>>14118161
I have a hard time accepting Dr. Hell being just a supporting character. He did a ton in the story.

Dr. Hell played a HUGE role in both Tsubasa's and Baron Ashura's character development. He also helped push the narrative along in typical antagonist fashion, arguably moreso than Koji in his protagonist role.
>>
>>14118179
I mean, what the fuck do you expect them to be? How do you suddenly turn Kouji and the gang into deep characters when they haven't been before and there's really no jumping off point to portray them as such?

This is probably why they were able to work Baron Ashura and Kenzo into the plot the best out of all the old characters; there was more potential to explore with them than the rest of the cast.
>>
>>14118467
>He also helped push the narrative along in typical antagonist
Not really. Dr.Hell was just there to be the baddie. There wasn't much character development for him and he didn't drive the plot forward. The past was entirely Tsubasa's story (his grudge against Kenzo), not Dr.Hell's.

Kouji started as a brat, but matured throughout the show to the point of even accepting his new mom and his position against all odds

He had far more character development than any other characters that weren't Ashura and Dr.Hell.

I know what I'm talking about. I watched the show about 30 times already.
>>
>>14118680
Except Kouji got way development than the original.

He learned to play well with his teamates. He accepted the strategies assigned to him (contrary to gundam protags) and followed through. He made amends with his mom.

Only a fool would believe that Kouji wasn't the focus in Shin.
>>
>>14118696
Development is irrelevant if it doesn't have much to do with the plot. In Shin Mazinger, you could remove Kouji entirely and have Mazinger Z be completely AI controlled and little would change.
>>
What's the best release Mazinkaiser vs the Great General of Darkness? I can only find a shit hardsubbed one.
>>
>>14118707
>doesn't have much to do with the plot
All 3 points I said are directly related to the plot.

>you could remove Kouji entirely and have Mazinger Z be completely AI controlled and little would change.
Without Kouji, you cannot have the rescue Sayaka arc because it's directly related to his fuckups as a teamate. You cannot have the Lorelei arc because Tsubasa's meeting with his ex lover would make no sense, since she would have no family. Lorelei would get away scots free. You wouldn't have the post lorelei arc because Kouji wouldn't go to the photon lab if not for his dissatisfaction with his mom, which would cause no meeting with the kedora. I can go on and on about just how important his role is in Shin. The part with his mom is a huge fucking deal. If Tsubasa wasn't Kouji's mom, there would be no point to all the family drama that happened.

You're just being retarded for the sake of it.
>>
>>14115001
>The fights are about as over the top as the OVAs anyway.
Whenever Imagawa had a go at directing fight scenes, he blew it. The only good fights in Shin Mazinger were the ones taken straight from the manga.

The fights in Shin cannot compare to Mazinkaiser and SKL. They're nowhere as good, with the exception of episode 11.
>>
>>14118759
While some of that holds up, note that I didn't say anything about Shiro being gone or Tsubasa not being a mother and whatnot.

What me and a few others are getting at here is that Kouji isn't a major player in the plot because he doesn't intentionally cause anything to happen that moves the plot forward. For the most part, he is used as Tsubasa's main weapon. He deviates from that every now and again out of frustration, which does sometimes have the peripheral effect of causing cast to take detours (which the rescuing Sayaka arc undeniably was, and arguably the Lorelai arc as well since all that came out of that was backstory), but his agency is mostly limited to what his mom wants.
>>
>>14118773

The fights in the manga were pretty shitty. Only Shin Mazinger makes it looks good.
>>
>>14118794
>he doesn't intentionally cause anything to happen that moves the plot forward
Whether it's intentional or not is irrelevant. All of his actions at every key scene in the show moved the plot forward.

>his agency is mostly limited to what his mom wants.
So you missed the entire speech at the beginning. His agency is limited to SAVING THE WORLD ans be on Mazinger's good side. He doesn't get "used" by his mom. It's called a collaboration. The Kurogane 5, Him, Ankokuji, the Photon Labs, Sayaka, the Mazinger army and even Ashura all worked together to take down Dr.Hell.

If that's not enough, then you're clearly off your meds. There was nothing more to Dr.Hell's character than trying to screw over everybody and take the earth for himself. He had different ways to do it in Shin, but he never got any more development.

The 3 main characters of Shin was obviously Kouji, Tsubasa and Ashura. Dr.Hell and the rest are secondary.
>>
>>14118802
>The fights in the manga were pretty shitty
They were the same, panel for panel, you idiot. The entire fight scene in episode 11 was the exact same shit.

When Imagawa tried "fight scenes" like in the early episodes, it sucked so bad. Imagawa can't direct fight scenes for shit, but he did a decent job at adapting Nagai's manga fight scenes.
>>
As proof of Imagawa's lack of talent for giant robot fighting scenes, have a look at G Gundam. Most of these 1 on 1 fights sucked hard. I was so disappointed.
>>
>>14118851
It's not like he could force Sunrise to make them wait after him to do everything to perfection, he had to meet a weekly schedule.

But really, he gives more of a fuck about wuxia than anything. Give him Yokoyama's Romance of the Three Kingdoms and he'd go to town on the fighting scenes.
>>
>>14118869
I started enjoying Getter Robo Armaggeddon's fight scenes when Kawagoe and the other directors joined in.

It's not only G Gundam. Imagawa just has shitty robot fight scenes all over his works. He's better at human fighting, but there is literally no reason for studios to keep giving him mecha shit to do. That's not even where his strength lies.
>>
>>14118818
There wasn't more to Dr. Hell's character, you're correct, but that isn't what we're discussing. Dr. Hell created Baron Ashura, was part of the expedition in the backstory and organized all the villains. That alone gives him more importance than Kouji has.

And sure they were working together, whatever. I'm just saying that Kouji himself does not make many choices that influence anything. He definitely makes a few, but his main role in the story is to be the brute force element in someone else's plan. Which is pretty much exactly how it is in every other Mazinger production, and hell, for MCs of most super robot shows in general. Only difference is that he's following (and occasionally going against) Tsubasa instead of Professor Yumi this time.
>>
>>14118882
>there is literally no reason for studios to keep giving him mecha shit to do.
Unless it involves Tetsujin to an extended capacity, that is. That right there is his childhood. At any rate, the studios don't even give him anything major to do anymore, which admittedly is not how you solve the problem at all. On a side note, did that experimental show with seven Nanas have any fighting at all, or is just comedy?
>Kawagoe
I always considered this guy a poor man's Imagawa, though he does have exciting battles even if he ends up with a scriptwriter that isn't that good.
>>
>>14118886
>Dr. Hell created Baron Ashura, was part of the expedition in the backstory and organized all the villains. That alone gives him more importance than Kouji has.
The point of Shin Mazinger is that it's a character-driven show. He did all of that, and yet he doesn't feel important, because of how the show frames its characters. The plot followed the character's decisions.

We have the narration (Tessho Genda) all over reminding us of Kouji, Tsubasa, Ashura, but pretty much nothing for Hell.

>He definitely makes a few,
The few that he does is crucial, and lead to the arcs I mentioned above.

>but his main role in the story is to be the brute force element in someone else's plan
I don't see that as making him less important. The entire progression for Kouji was for him maturing and collaborating with his teamates, which is pretty much what he was doing at the end. The first time he sortied, Sayaka got captured because of his rash decisions. It wasn't someone else's plan, it was everyone's plan for the entire defense squad against Dr. Hell. The Kurogane House wasn't the only one who contributed to it. You had the Photon labs as well.
>>
SONO NA WO
>>
SONO NA WO
>>
SONO NA WO
>>
>>14118851
>He didn't like the fights in G Gundam
>He didn't even like WITH THE HELP OF KYOJI
>>
>>14118696
To be exact in the original he went from an abusive boyfriend brat to a badass veteran pilot to an alien twink's fuccboi. Toei Kouji had quite the character arc.
>>
>>14118925
Seven of Seven is basically Imagwa doing moe comedy, but since it's Imagawa there's an actual plot and the moe girls have wuxia superpowers.
>>
>>14118851
Yeah, I love G but most of the fights are shit. Imagawa based G off of the Kurumada model of Shonen fights, he's a huge Ring Ni Kakero fan; spam finishing move till it does not work, do something weird to throw opponent off balance, spam finishing move again till dead.
>>
>>14119101
>badass veteran pilot
Is Great Mazinger objectively the best/most interesting of the Toei shows?
>>
What's the reading order to Mazinger? Mazinger Z just ends after volume 5?
>>
>>14119137
No clue because NO SUBS. Most people you'd ask would say it's Grendizer but you'd have to take the word of a load of nostalgia blinded French, Italians and Arabs over the word of a load of nostalgia blinded Spaniards who say it's still Mazinger.
>>
>>14119156
>no subs
Goddamnit.
>>
>>14119166
It has like 20 episodes or so subbed, but it's not likely that it'll be picked back up any time soon. Much like Raideen.
>>
>>14119166
>>14119194
Actually, its chances are looking a little better these days; Discotek are going after Mazinger shows, the show's translator Sasword came back, and an anon (?) got interested in translating the Italian dub.
>>
I still don't understand the ED choices. Other than that I had fun with the show.
>>
>>14119137

He said that of Kouji though, not Tetsuya. Which makes sense, since implying Tetsuya is bad ass would be pretty funny.
>>
>>14119691
He was speaking of the incarnation of Tetsuya in Great Mazinger, I presume.
Tetsuya would be pretty cool if they stopped making him a jobber for Kouji. Its gotten really old at this point.
>>
>>14119736
Incarnation of Kouji.
Dyslexia's a bitch.
>>
>>14119736

He was never cool, even when he wasn't a jobber.
>>
>>14114728
Sorrow because no Great-hen

>>14118940
>>14118968
>>14119058
ENERGER

====
__//_
_//__
//
====
>>
>>14119134
It works for Kurumada because he has a lot of fluff going on during these fight scenes and his paneling is top notch. For Imagawa, it's simply not as good when you transfer it to anime.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.