[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What killed the real robot genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14
File: 1405635836260.gif (1 MB, 336x264) Image search: [Google]
1405635836260.gif
1 MB, 336x264
What killed the real robot genre?
>>
File: 1276484140195.gif (3 MB, 360x283) Image search: [Google]
1276484140195.gif
3 MB, 360x283
>>14111168
Vague definitions and gross misconceptions.
>>
>>14111168
Not being directed by Takahashi
>>
Gundam 0079
>>
>>14111111
>>
>>14111168
You did. The blood of the real robot genre is on your hands.
>>
File: 1432717909618.gif (1000 KB, 192x213) Image search: [Google]
1432717909618.gif
1000 KB, 192x213
Star Trek thread
>>
File: Casshern checks em.jpg (35 KB, 315x431) Image search: [Google]
Casshern checks em.jpg
35 KB, 315x431
>>14111168
GitS
>>
Eva
>>
>>14111168
Changing demographics
>>
>>14111168
Lack of real robot manga authored by a IRL engineer
>>
>>14112153
This
>>
>>14111168
THE ICE AGE
>>
>>14112153
But Eva was a super robot show.
>>
>>14111168
Not enough manga about industrial welding arms at car factories and novelty japanese butlerbots that are actually pretty useless.
>>
>>14113107
>Eva was a...robot show

It had one great episode.
>>
File: Beam up.gif (899 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
Beam up.gif
899 KB, 250x188
>>14111664
>Star Trek thread

Indeed this is now a Star Trek thread.
>>
File: 1414572367457.gif (1 MB, 400x406) Image search: [Google]
1414572367457.gif
1 MB, 400x406
>>14113308
for serious?
>>
>>14113270
What are you talking about?
>>
File: 1433847877114.jpg (24 KB, 400x397) Image search: [Google]
1433847877114.jpg
24 KB, 400x397
>>14114251
He's mad that Eva is blatantly super robot because he thinks super robot is kiddy shit and Eva is DEEP mature audience stuff.
>>
>>14114323
No. It's because NGE only has one episode with "mecha"

>Eva
>deep
Well meme'd
>>
>>14114544
piloted bio-mecha is still mecha
>>
File: le_trashman.jpg (42 KB, 700x479) Image search: [Google]
le_trashman.jpg
42 KB, 700x479
>>14114323
>>Evangelion
>>deep
Opinion discarded
>>
>>14114544
>>14114752
>i didnt understand it and im upset
Fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>14115022
I understood it, and I was unimpressed because I've read more than just PHIL 1301

Stick to Psycho Pass, f*ggot
>>
>>14114544
>>14114752
>>14115022
>>14115088
>DEEP means actual literary depth
Spot the newfags
>>
>>14111168
Killed? Nothing.

Over-stressed the genre? Toy focused merchandising.

To explain, I'm going to define the difference between Real Robot and Super Robot as the difference between the robot(s) being equipment used by the characters and the robot(s) being items that give the characters superpowers.

To give a non-robot but still /m/ example of the difference, it is the difference between power armor in Starship Troopers and power armor in Iron Man. In Starship Troopers power armor is just equipment the Mobile Infantry use. In Iron Man, and various other Marvel properties, power armor is the item that grants Tony Stark and others superpowers.

Its rather easy to create a Real Robot series (create a military, police or even sports series and then add robots), the problem occurs when you try and fund the damned thing. Plain robots do not sell well anymore, forcing gimmicks to be added. The gimmicks then get used as superpowers shifting the series from Real to Super. This stressed the "realness" of the genre as this occurs more and more to sell merchandise.
>>
>>14115272
>To explain, I'm going to define the difference between Real Robot and Super Robot as the difference between the robot(s) being equipment used by the characters and the robot(s) being items that give the characters superpowers.

But that's blatantly wrong. In fact, Tetsujin and Mazinger both heavily focused on the fact that the robots were tools and thus could be controlled by anyone, making it a weaponized tool that could be used for good or evil.

Put the gun to your chin and pull the trigger
>>
>>14115288
>But that's blatantly wrong. In fact, Tetsujin and Mazinger both heavily focused on the fact that the robots were tools and thus could be controlled by anyone, making it a weaponized tool that could be used for good or evil.

That doesn't stop Tetsujin and Mazinger from being the origin of the hero's superpowers. Hundreds of golden and silver age comicbook stories have done similar things.

>Put the gun to your chin and pull the trigger
Please do so yourself because you completely missed the point.
>>
>>14111168
Crisis of ideas and general infantilisation of anime industry, cut of the funding, TV censorship.
>>
>>14115331
>That doesn't stop Tetsujin and Mazinger from being the origin of the hero's superpowers

So Gundam is Amuro's super power.
>>
I dunno, Muv Luv looks shit enough to kill an entire genre
>>
>>14111168
Giant robots inherently being unrealistic.
>>
>>14115474
You could apply his moronic idea to pretty much every fictional character made, on top of that. Then again, he seems to be a /co/fag, so him not being smart enough to realize that is to be expected.
>>
>>14115546
I can understand the shit characters and etc but how can you hate killing ayylmaos with a mech?
>>
File: Excelsior_class.jpg (406 KB, 1615x622) Image search: [Google]
Excelsior_class.jpg
406 KB, 1615x622
>>14114239
If I have anything to say about it yeah.

Excelsior class a best.
>>
Protagonists becoming untouchable and their special robot shitting all over everything.
>>
>>14111168
>What killed the real robot genre?

Kids growing up and Japanese men not fucking enough Japanese women often enough to replenish the dwindling number of Japanse kids.
>>
>>14111168
Bad anime
>>
>>14117303
Even if they did, that wouldn't help. Giant robots are out of style and are not popular with children at the moment.
>>
>>14115676
At the end of the day, Rico and his Roughnecks were just soldiers, they didn't really do anything special with their gear, they didn't save mankind with a five-man band of misfits and archetypes.

All You Need Is Kill/Tomorrow's Edge is a real robot story with super powers, for example.

Gundam is super robots, it only hits real robot territory at 0080 and 08th MS Team which is really just taking Beowuld and Romeo & Juliet and adding space colonies and robots to the mix. 0079 was something between Journey to the West and Hindu Mythology and while it uses a lot of fabric from RR and is ostensibly an RR setting, it still falls heavily into fantastic tropes and unique idiosyncratic machines further down the timeline.

Anything in gundam with multiple custom prototypes and five man bands is straight super. Which makes me sad, because I heavily enjoyed the RR displays of GW and want to rank it in the halls of RR fame.
>>
>>14118162
don't tell me what is popular, I don't think I want to know
>>
>>14115272
>the difference between Real Robot and Super Robot
no

fuck off
>>
>>14118777
>average "I never saw anything that wasn't what I consider RR in my life but I know it's different from SR" poster
>>
>>14118837
I can identify RR by smeell because I'm a gear-queer

As long as it's close to RR I can actually tolerate watching it, anything that's mostly SR tunes me out real quick

that said, my friend can't get enough of super- we meet in the middle when he isn't sperging about some new toku show or SR game
>>
>>14118788
t. Super robot fanboy
>>
>>14118857
No, you're just an idiot who thinks his ignorant assumptions are fact.
>>
>>14118878
t. "Real" robot fanboy
>>
>>14115474

the gundam didnt make amuro a fucking newtype
>>
>>14111168
It's pretty simple really:
'Super' is basically the 70's Toei aesthetic. Gundam came along and did a lot of the same shit but differed just enough for people to latch onto it as somehow new and unique. And then various companies to emulate it all through the 80's. There's really no good way to categorize it other than a vague 'things that are loud and colorful like the 70's' and 'things that are dark and moody like the 80's'.

Japs -do- seem to hold that there's some difference, though, and that's where it gets played for comedy in shit like Daiguard and Tryon 3, where they explicitly insert a 'super' into an otherwise 'real' setting.
>>
Because of toys. That's what has "killed," borrowing your hyperbole, the real robot genre.

There's nothing wrong with commercially exploiting a story. The problem arises when you start commissioning stories for the sake of selling shit. The story should come first; it should be the focus.
>>
>>14111168
Depends on what you define the "real robot" genre as. If you mean the genre started by Gundam - Nothing has killed it. It's still going. There was just a Gundam show, with it's second season coming soon. And there is currently a macross show.

If you mean shows like Dougram, Layzner, and Votoms, those were 'killed' by Takahashi not having much work lately, and by his own admission he didn't really like mecha much, it's just what the production companies would fun.

If by 'real robot genre' you mean a genre of tactical mecha that plays strictly by real world rules, pays close attention to real world politics, focuses on squad tactics, careful use of munitions, doesn't have hero main characters running around getting easy victories, and is devoted to getting every /k/ thing right... then nothing killed that genre, because that genre never existed in the first place. Even Takahashi had spiritual or mystic elements, plot armor, etc. Full metal panic had lambada driver, etc.
>>
>>14115272
Most supers like Getter and Giant Robo don't even have equipment upgrades though
>>
>>14120107
No but it made him a legendary battlefield hero with a near invincible machine.
>>
File: Giant-Robo-02-175.png (242 KB, 975x1427) Image search: [Google]
Giant-Robo-02-175.png
242 KB, 975x1427
>>14120945
Are you kidding me?
>>
Abortion.
>>
My brother wanted to watch the first Gundam movie last night in preparation for playing Mekton Zeta. It put him to sleep, granted, he was at college all day. It was great talking to him about the toy commercial aspect, though.

What's the most stimulating, accessible classic /m/ I can show him? He's seen G Gundam, Evangelion, and watched both Ideon movies.

I was thinking Macross: Do You Remember Love.

On topic: I'd guess it would be because that style of robot toy isn't popular with kids anymore.
>>
>>14120941
Fuck off then, it's obvious you've never seen FLAG or Argevollen.
>>
>>14121116
>Argevollen

Which involves another dumb grunt landing themselves in a super prototype and being responsible for almost every victory his side has, yes.
>>
>>14121116
Neither one of those fit the criteria I describe. (Granted FLAG comes close). There is never going to be a /k/ mecha anime. Accept it. And even if there was, /k/ would hate it for the mechs not dying to tanks within seconds.

Slavish realism doesn't make for good entertainment. Some compromises need to be made for mediums.
>>
File: david-kun-2[1].jpg (35 KB, 469x355) Image search: [Google]
david-kun-2[1].jpg
35 KB, 469x355
>>14111168
People like this guy. Fucking fat weebs who know nothing but maids and echhi hentai loli animes.
>>
File: 1382065181069.jpg (432 KB, 2097x915) Image search: [Google]
1382065181069.jpg
432 KB, 2097x915
OP is retarded and so is everyone who agrees with him.

Real robot was never genre. And it could never die because it never existed.

There has only ever been mecha. Mazinger called itself a super robot to market itself differently from Tetsujin. Gundam used this same strategy during the Mazinger copy-cat series age to distinguish itself.

If you think there are two genres of mecha (real and super) you are beyond fucking retarded and are not qualified to talk about this. You disagree? Define real/super and back it up with valid examples. Thousands of posters on this board have tried before you and they have all failed because it doesn't exist.

You know what the common thread is for morons who argue real robot is an actual genre/thing? They are all newfag casuals who consider themselves to only watch real robot series. Wow what a coincidence.

Also you faggots who try to say real/super is a spectrum are just as stupid and can't make a valid argument to save your lives. Kill yourselves.
>>
>>14121302
I agree with this guy.
>>
>>14121302
They're bullshit concepts, but they're recognized bullshit concepts. That's the main issue - they're such nebulous marketing concepts and yet they keep popping up. As mentioned above, GBFT had Tryon 3 show up and the whole audience be dumbfounded. Even one person say 'but isn't it a super?'

Why exactly? What did it do different from normal ZZ in that moment? It was still three machines that combined. It still looked like ZZ. But its machines were animal-based, the combination sequence was more elaborate (and pretty much ripped from SRX), and then it posed in front of the Earth and put up SAIKYO KIDO TRYON 3 in a big logo. It wasn't the mechanics or the attacks or the setting, it was entirely the presentation being similar to something else.

That's why it's bullshit to really call super or real 'genres'. No solid definition will ever hold up to scrutiny because different shows are all over the place. But it'd also be bullshit to say the concepts don't exist, because they're caricatured all the time.
>>
>>14121437
The concepts obviously exist because we're talking about them. However, they are completely invalid.

>and then it posed in front of the Earth and put up SAIKYO KIDO TRYON 3 in a big logo.
>it was entirely the presentation being similar to something else.
So the original Gundam is super robot because its presentation was exactly the same as every other mecha in the 70s.
>>
Reality.
>>
File: season 3.jpg (27 KB, 304x400) Image search: [Google]
season 3.jpg
27 KB, 304x400
>>14111664
Why did season 3 Kirk grow out his sideburns so long bros?
>>
Real and Super are meaningless arbitrary distinctions, like high and low art or crows and ravens.
>>
>>14121485
It is, but you're missing the point. Super/Real is a bullshit binary - any given show is one, the other, both, or neither. But it's a whole other thing to say that somehow the idea/concept/stereotype/whatever doesn't exist when it keeps being explicitly referenced.
>>
>>14121798
>But it's a whole other thing to say
What you're claiming was never said. Stop being absolutely retarded. You claim others are missing the point but you seem to be missing your brain.
>>
>>14121720
>or crows and ravens.
Those are completely different animals.
>>
>>14122119
Nope.
>>
>>14122342
Shut the fuck up. They are two wholly separate species entirely. Fucking look it up.
>>
>>14122342
Not him, but ravens are huge (supers) and crows are not (real). They're both of the genus Corvus, but have different species; all dogs are Canis l. f., which makes their breeds closer by comparison (even if taxonomy is largely arbitrary). Is there no distinction between a chihuahua and a St. Bernard?
>>
>>14122365
NUH-UH
>>
>>14121720
They are, but we've yet to come up with better terms. Everyone on the board generally knows what concepts are associated with these two words, so they're useful terms as shorthand even if they don't hold up under scrutiny.

>>14111168
I think the main problem is that "real" is mostly an arbitrary limitation on the direction a show can take and that writers have recognized that it's silly to have such a limitation. It is for this reason that I don't generally watch shows that get stuck with the "real robot" label. Most of them seem terribly similar in concept (almost always being some kind of war drama, usually, though not always, with one monocultural group being oppressed or discriminated against by another monocultural group). While this is not to say that shows that are labelled as "super robot" are not sometimes samey, I see a lot more clear distinctions between shows under that umbrella than "real robot". For example, it's difficult to find any common ground between, say, Diebuster and Dancouga, and I have yet to see any two "real robot" shows have that degree of difference between them.
>>
>>14122365
St. Bernard and Chi-dogs are named based on the traits societies breed them for. In this modern age, dogs are allowed to breed with each other freely so their are many which are hard to describe other than "mutt".
>>
File: 1458233915375.jpg (177 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
1458233915375.jpg
177 KB, 600x720
>>14111168
Obligatory.

>>14117303
Judging from the number of jav made every year, I don't think fucking's the problem.
>>
>>14122472
They don't impregnate them.
>>
>>14122403

Shame that "hero robot" and "combat robot" never caught on instead.
>>
>>14122403
>they're useful terms as shorthand
They aren't useful terms. They're a hindrance. It only creates disastrous assumptions born from ignorance and general stupidity. I've seen posters on this board claim Mazinger was a robot powered by will and got stronger with Mazin power when Kouji because it's a super robot anime. Also, obviously Mazinger magically heals because it's a super robot, right? You get this kind of crap when honestly using the terms super and real.

>Everyone on the board generally knows what concepts are
Everyone has their own ideas on what those terms imply. All it does it lead to contention over what it means
>Gundam is super only Votoms is real etc
and as stated before, it also leads to ridiculous conceptions.

>but we've yet to come up with better terms
Wrong. Better terms were invented long, long ago. Use actual genres. Gundam is sci-fi war drama. Mazinger is action comedy. Escaflowne is Fantasy Adventure. These are terms that actually help to describe a show shorthand, like you are claiming that real/super is used for. It's not difficult and it's far superior to trash terms like super and real.
>>
>>14122492
Probably because they're just as vague and arbitrary as super and real
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.