[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars is never going to get out of retelling Death Star storyines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 23
File: 1460169442774[1].jpg (470 KB, 1920x807) Image search: [Google]
1460169442774[1].jpg
470 KB, 1920x807
Star Wars is never going to get out of retelling Death Star storyines are they?
>>
File: heavy-object-565c632b197b1[1].jpg (533 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
heavy-object-565c632b197b1[1].jpg
533 KB, 1920x1080
Nope. Sci-Fi series fucking love their super weapons.
>>
>>14099147
The lighting on those Star Destroyers is awful.
>>
>>14099147
The Death Star is the OYW of Star Wars.
>>
This is a board also dedicated to talking about Gundam, and a long running general featuring Kamen Rider.

People might complain about rehashed Death Star shit, but always tend to forget about the tons of rehashed shit in Extended Universe and maybe the entire content of this fucking board. Weird how that works sometimes.
>>
>>14099180
>always tend to forget about the tons of rehashed shit in Extended Universe

What are you talking about?

Extended Universe was HALF REHASHED DEATH STAR SHIT, except the parts that were Super Death Star shit

That is part of what OP would be complaining about
>>
>>14099147

1. They don't know where to go with the series.

2. They don't want to take chances on something new. Death-star storylines worked. They'll repeat it.

3. It takes box office losses to change how studios make stories. If it sells, they'd remake the same movie 30 times. It is only when it under performs that they re-think things.
>>
>>14099147
At least they're just explaining how they got the death star plans in one movie
You don't want to know the sheer clusterfuck, galactic scale game of hot potato it originally was, EVERYONE wanted to be the writer who explained how the Rebellion gained the plans, there must be at least 9 stories relating to it, possibly more. Kyle found the stole the death star plans, no some kid from some british magazine for star wars did, no the rebellion found out about it on Wayland despite them not knowing about that planet til the Thrawn Crisis, no wait the Twi-lak with the cybernetic augment did it
and so on and so on.
>>
>>14099147

I don't see you complaining about how Gundam will never get out of retelling giant robot storylines...
>>
>>14099147
That part can detach?

Looks stupid as fuck.
>>
>>14099244
No they're installing it.
>>
>>14099228
Don't forget this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHQFNdVxYiY
>>
Every starwars story involves the Dark Side force users making super weapons.
>>
>>14099247
The fuck would they install it as a space-station sized satellite dish rather than build it up bolt-by-bolt from within? FFS it's a moon-sized megastructure not a papercraft.
>>
>>14099247
Well it still looks dumb. Why would you install the whole thing at once?

Also they should have put some kind of construction team around, not just a few patrol ships copy-pasted in random directions.
>>
>>14099228
Well, when you consider the old EU that does make sense. Clearly all those people were discovering one or another of the Empire's pseudo-or-super death star plans.

Presumably one of them found the plans for the ANH death star, but who the fuck knows who?
>>
>>14099261
As it turns out, the vast majority of the film going public, really don't give a shit about the logistics of superstructure megaweapon construction.
>>
>>14099277
No, they were all THE death star plans, All of them, you want to know how they resolved this huge issue after years of letting it awkwardly hang there for what must have been a decade plus?
"Uh...they're were...just PIECES of the Death Star plans"
>>
>>14099261
If I were to make a guess behind they're reasoning for this, it could be that the weapon was made elsewhere. Perhaps to cover up what it was, by having the actual laser focuser/weapon part manufactured off-site, and then shipped in later or something.
Could have been a lot of parts were made elsewhere and then brought together and worked on on site, to avoid any one group of people knowing everything about the Death Star.
Or maybe the reason is "just because" and "it looks cool", because it does look pretty cool, who knows.
>>
Some faggot rebels just escaped my clut---*choking noises*
>>
File: Piett Promotions.png (127 KB, 320x375) Image search: [Google]
Piett Promotions.png
127 KB, 320x375
I just got promoted!
>>
>>14099147
Star Wars 8 will cement it.
>>
>>14099261
>>14099268
Type II civilization technology, we ain't gotta explain shit.
t. Disney
>>
>>14099277
That actually kind of makes sense. If you don't factor in that they were all supposed to be THE ANH Death Star plans.

Also are we going to get a sequel to Rogue One about the rebellion discovering the ROTJ Death Star? I haven't seen ROTJ but I seem to remember they just knew about the thing from the start.
>>
File: ibUFVNe.jpg (280 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
ibUFVNe.jpg
280 KB, 699x1211
>>14099147
You didn't realize that after TFA was literally ANH with the names replaced?
>>
>>14099424
>but I seem to remember they just knew about the thing from the start.
That's because the emperor leaked information about it to draw the rebel fleet into a trap and bring Skywalker to him to turn him into his new apprentice.
>>
>>14099147
I want to hear the Vehicle Backing Up beeeep beeep beeep beeeep over this.
>>
>>14099281
Easier way would've been to say it was a honeypot to root out the various pockets of Alliance members and abettors.

I mean, think about it, the plans themselves are the perfect bait. All you have to do is make sure to collect the plans and any nearby Rebel VIPs before they realize it's a trap. Eventually you'll find someone too important to not warrant a rescue, and then you just plant a tracking device on their escape vessel and follow them back to what surely will be the nucleus of operations.
>>
>>14099540
> Literally ANH
> Fully half that image is talking about the other two movies
> While skipping some pretty big swaths

I mean it's stupidly repetitive of the OG trilogy but it's repeating way more than just ANH.
>>
>>14100415

I'm pretty sure Rey doesn't talk to Son Tekka at any point either, since he dies at the start after his talk to Poe. Which is just them chatting about what the Resistance needs to do and how important the plans Poe already knows about are.
>>
>>14099424
See that's the glaring thing about all this. Death Star II. It was purposely made to look incomplete but it looked like an actual damn building being built up girder by girder.
>>
>>14100432
Wait... I thought both Death Stars were the same size? I figured they just modified the original blueprints to cover mistakes and such.
>>
File: smqx6TA.jpg (119 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
smqx6TA.jpg
119 KB, 1200x1200
>>14100441
They are. But it's like the thing with heights in Evangelion. There's been some pretty wacky notions given credence over the years.
>>
>>14100441
Wookiepedia lists the first Death Star as 120km in diameter and the second as 160km, the increased size allowing for the vastly superior superlaser that takes three minutes to charge instead of a day. This is actually not as ludicrous as it sounds: there are actual cities that approach the size of the first Death Star, and a typical US highway where the drivers are going something like 70 mph could cross from one end of the second Death Star to the other in a little under two hours.
>>
>>14099164
The brightness on them was probably tweaked in that long distance shot so that they register as SDs for a 3 second trailer view, they look great in the closer shot
>>
>>14100497
Mostly though it gives an excuse to have scenes where the Millenium Falcon is flying INSIDE a Death Star.
>>
The Expanded Universe is shit for the most part, authors raping canon to insert their vision of what is Star Wars and failing badly.
>>
>>14100514
Just like Kylo is diet Jacen and Rey is notJaina, amIRight?
>>
>>14100527
Exactly.
>>
>>14099228
Wasn't it the work of Bothan spies according to a line in the movies?
>>
>>14100596
that was for DS II
>>
>>14100605
Oh sorry
>>
>>14099228
I was on Kotaku and they mentioned this. Something about a Tusken Raider also being involved, by way of the fighting game?

The EU is a dark, demonic hole from neither sanity nor taste in literature escapes. In a sense, a trap.
>>
>>14099261
Most ships IRL are modularized to some degree so that more than one factory can work on it at a time. It's much easier to have a few big pieces with obvious "connect A to B" portions, rather than a whole bunch of small pieces you're trying to put together.
>>
>>14100608
Don't worry, the next movie has Bothan spies, and shoehorned human.
>>
>>14100624
>I was on Kotaku
Fuck off.
>>
File: Jerjerrod-hd.jpg (66 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
Jerjerrod-hd.jpg
66 KB, 500x654
>>14100639
You know, I honestly didn't think it would work, but here we are.
>>
>>14100641
Fuck off.
>>
File: 1262030940866.jpg (31 KB, 414x419) Image search: [Google]
1262030940866.jpg
31 KB, 414x419
>>14100642
Nah.
>>
>>14100647
Fuck off.
>>
File: Discount_Superweapons.jpg (194 KB, 383x633) Image search: [Google]
Discount_Superweapons.jpg
194 KB, 383x633
>>14099191

No, there were a dozen idiotic super weapons.

Also, half of them came from the same place.
>>
File: tie.jpg (1 MB, 1660x2160) Image search: [Google]
tie.jpg
1 MB, 1660x2160
>>14100641

>I was on Kotaku

>>/trash/

Also, the EU had some dumb stories, but on the whole, you could take the good and leave the bad.
>>
>>14100650
What dozens you liar? The Sun Crusher was the main one, the World Devestators and Galaxy Gun were designed by the same man in EU who designed the Death Stars and all of them operated differently.

>Retain the original prototype Death Star as a basis for the first and second Death Stars
>World Devastators were used to break up asteroids, planetary surfaces, and other materials into their matter annihilator reactors to spit out droid fighters and capital ships like more Star Destroyers
>Galaxy Gun operated like a more technical version of the Death Star; capable of sniping anything from a small military base to entire planets with its matter destroying warheads that can jump to lightspeed and has the entire galaxy as its operational range
>Eclipse class SSDs were just beefier Dreadnoughts with a weaker superlaser that can break planetary shields and crack the surface of planets
>Sun Crusher that uses resonance torpedoes to make stars go supernovas; extremely limited ammo
>>
>>14100649
Man, we could go at this all day.

>>14100658
Star Wars wouldn't exist today without the EU, to be sure. Still, wading through it is a pretty daunting task (particularly if you read slowly like I do).
>>
girls, girls. Let him enjoy shitaku while he can, they'll file bankruptcy from excessive hulkamania running wild on them soon enough
>>
>>14100658
Honestly if they had just retained anything written by Stover, Zahn, Luceno, Alliston, and a lot of the comics like Republic and its Clone Wars tie in, I'd be happy. Novels like Darth Plagueis, most the Clone Wars era books (fuck Republic Commandos though), and so on.

Yeah there was dumb shit in EU (especially early in the mid and late 90s where a lot of these new writers didn't understand Lucas Arts wanted a cohesive link between them and the movies which gave us a lot of short stories that were dumb or shit like A Crystal Star) but in the backdrop of some of the stuff that Disney and Lucas have given us with the Prequel Trilogy and Sequel Trilogy, they don't seem quite as bad they use to.

>>14100666
Fuck off.
>>
File: DSOTM.jpg (87 KB, 555x720) Image search: [Google]
DSOTM.jpg
87 KB, 555x720
>>14099147
What? It isn't that common to pick up a late-model Death Star to toodle around block in?
>>
>>14100666
Fuck off.
>>
>>14100659

Not just imperial ones, though you forgot the Eye of Palpatine.

KOTOR also had a bunch as well.
>>
File: Clones20121F.jpg (363 KB, 2000x1020) Image search: [Google]
Clones20121F.jpg
363 KB, 2000x1020
>>14100668
>Republic Commandos

Hard Contact is pretty good. It only gets full retard after the second book.
>>
File: 1266006885319.jpg (19 KB, 375x282) Image search: [Google]
1266006885319.jpg
19 KB, 375x282
>>14100671
>>14100668
Continuing my nah. Also don't samefag.
>>
>>14100659
There was the Dark Saber. But it didn't work mind you.

>>14100672
I don't recall a Death Star in Kotor. Just the star forge.
>>
>>14100658
The issue is the fags who bash EU only focus on the negative and never the good. How often do you see these normie casuals talk about Shatterpoint, Cestus Deception, TPM/AoTC/RoTS novelizations, Heir to the Empire trilogy, Rogue/Wraith Squadron series, etc...?

They just like focusing on the bad or extremely dumb shit but hand wave or totally ignore the great stuff. Its the same with the games like with Star Wars Kinect, Force Unleashed, and what not but outside of the late 20/30 something year olds that have played the original Dark Forces games who talks about Tie-Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Empire at War, Shadows of the Empire, etc...

The good far outweights the bad in EU.

>>14100672
Eye of Palpatine didn't even make sense and I don't see what TOR era has to do with the OT era at all here. The guy I'm responding to was talking about the Maw which was Tarkin's brainchild of a bunch of super scientists who made WMDs for the Empire.

None of that relates to a period in time 3600 years earlier. Hell the Star Forge was literally a copy of the World Devestator concept.
>>
>>14100678
>samefag

>>14100679
>>14100672
Neither of those involve the Empire. Dark Saber was a literal made-in-north-korea chinese rip off that failed spectacularly for Durga the Hutt. And the Star Forge and Sun Razors are the Sith Empire and Infinite Empire in TOR eras.
>>
>>14100684
This thread is confusing. I thought it was just about the "tons of super weapons" comment, not about who owned them.
>>
>>14100675
Even the first two books have issue and show the cracks in the wall with KT's bias against Jedi and Sith characters. Glad she got fired by Lucas Arts all the same though.

>>14100672
Never understood what the Eye of Palpatine did besides indoctrinate people as stormtroopers. That novel was fucking weird. But in terms of the Empire?

>prototype Death Star
>first Death Star
>second Death Star
>World Devestators
>Galaxy Gun
>Sun Crusher

That's it.

>>14100688
The guy said "same place" >>14100650 for "dozens of idiotic" super weapons. He was implying most of the crazy super weapons are for the Empire, its not true.

Also a lot of them made sense:

>orbital nightcloak was a bunch of easily deployed weather satellites that projected a type of energy field that prevented light from entering a populated planet's surface
>the long term effect causes storms, colder conditions and operates as a siege weapon forcing populations into surrendering or they would face new ice ages
>>
File: gfjfj.jpg (95 KB, 332x750) Image search: [Google]
gfjfj.jpg
95 KB, 332x750
>>14100684
>>
File: 1445131940144.png (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445131940144.png
26 KB, 500x500
>>14100775
>>
>>14100692
>Glad she got fired by Lucas Arts all the same though.

Wait, she got canned?
When did that happen and were specifics given?
I know a lot of SW fans weren't onboard with her general biases (and at least a few critics pointed out there was some kind of sketchy messages underlying some of that) but did not know she apparently stepped on some toes within the official Lucasfilm hierarchy.
>>
>>14100876
For KT she was fired around 2008 or 2009. Its hilarious because she has huge double standards when it came to Star Wars. She constantly insulted fans of Jedi and Sith characters, she showed she had little understanding of what separates a Dark Jedi and Sith Lord, invented a nonsensical clone contigency order where the Clones could've turned against the Supreme Chancellor and Senate as they did against the Jedi.

Also she bitched about how Filoni and Lucas returned the Mandalorians closer to their origins in TCW yet butchered Mara Jade, Zahn's character and Luke's wife, in Legacy of the Force novels and her death was terribly pathetic. In fact there's still probably a copy in the internet's own archives of the old Star Wars message board's thread ripping on her Legacy of the Force novels for being so bad and her writing shitty in general.

She was "let go" but everyone knew the signs when she was fired. Then she migrated to Bungie/Microsoft/343 Studios to work on the Halo franchise before again moving to the Gears of War franchise after that. One of the reasons GoW 3 was so bad? KT wrote most of it.
>>
>>14100876
Bunch of reasons for her being fired:

a) she's an extremely hostile and volatile person
b) no matter who or what criticized her Star Wars works and writings; she'd lash out calling them "Talifans" or misogynist
c) she further complicated her standing and reputation by these constant meltdowns at conventions and online like at her blog or on the official Star Wars site forum boards by getting into flame wars
d) she pisses a lot of people off with her extremely minimalist approach to the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic i.e. Clone Army) numbers and size; essentially claiming the Republic in Clone Wars only had 3 million total troops and believing that a galaxy spanning organization like that had less manpower then the modern US
e) she got really pissed off and upset about the retcons to the Mandalorians in TCW with their origins; which under Filoni returned closer to the older EU stuff like Tales of the Jedi and KoTOR/SWTOR
f) after all this she was fired/let go and she went to Halo and Gears of War
>>
File: download (2).jpg (22 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
22 KB, 259x194
>>14100861
Stars, huh?
>>
>>14100957
>Also she bitched about how Filoni and Lucas returned the Mandalorians closer to their origins in TCW yet butchered Mara Jade, Zahn's character and Luke's wife, in Legacy of the Force novels and her death was terribly pathetic. In fact there's still probably a copy in the internet's own archives of the old Star Wars message board's thread ripping on her Legacy of the Force novels for being so bad and her writing shitty in general.

Okay, now hoping those are archived, cause this shitshow sounds like the most worthwhile reading attached to her.

I mostly just knew of her fetishizing the Mandalorians and having a contempt for Jedi that gives /m/'s beef with Newtypes a run for its money. This sounds like something else...
>>
>>14101442
There's a sequence in one of the books in the LoTF series where Luke is inexplicitly out of character and speaking mandalorian internally while having an inner thought moment scene and it literally made no sense.

Also according to KT, Jaina Solo going to get "training" under Boba Fett is a more effective means to fight her twin brother, Jacen Solo, whose now a Dark Lord of the Sith known as Darth Caedus, then her uncle, Grand Master Skywalker. Because apparently despite Luke facing and fighting Vader, Sidious, and other Dark Jedi and ancient Sith spirits isn't as good as a guy who fell in a Sarlacc pit.
>>
File: Construction_of_the_Death_Star.png (1 MB, 1377x816) Image search: [Google]
Construction_of_the_Death_Star.png
1 MB, 1377x816
>>14099147
>That pic
Hold on a second...
>>
Except eps 1-3 which all you nerds hate.
>>
File: deathstar.jpg (34 KB, 576x319) Image search: [Google]
deathstar.jpg
34 KB, 576x319
>>14101700
See pic related in which the dish being installed is equivalent to the lightbulb
>>
>>14099258
>Every starwars story involves the Dark Side force users making super weapons.

Not the first one. Vader is just a lackey. It's Tarkin, who is not a Sith at all, in charge of his battle station.

Second film, there's no super weapon.

Jedi is where it all started to go wrong.
>>
>>14102530

Vader's not a lackey. He's Tarkin's pet thug.

Critical difference!
>>
>>14099540
>You didn't realize that after TFA was literally ANH with the names replaced?

I did in fact notice that. That they're doing a retread for the next film is annoying. And then we see the cast of young pretty woman protagonist too.
>>
>>14102530
The Death Star in RotJ was more a bait than a super weapon menacing another planet.
>>
>>14102530
At least its not the focus of the prequel trilogy.
>>
File: DashLeebo-SOTETC.jpg (1 MB, 1011x1357) Image search: [Google]
DashLeebo-SOTETC.jpg
1 MB, 1011x1357
>>14100634
Well, if that shoehorned human is Dash Motherfucking Rendar, then I'll be just peachy.
>>
>>14100650

At least they tried to go with super weapons that aren't just "A bigger Death Star" or "A planet turned Death Star"
>>
Remember when Star Wars was good?

Yeah, neither do I
>>
They realised that anything else they've tried to do has been shit so are just sticking with what works.
>>
>>14102661
New canon has Mon Mothma and Admiral Ackbar shitting themselves from the moment they found the second Death Star's build site. They were certain that the Emperor would target Chandrila and Mon Cala first/second upon completion. It was just bait for the Empire side of it and a full last ditch effort by the Rebellion side.
>>
>>14099157
I'm planning on seeing Heavy Obj

Is it any good?
>>
>>14100647
You should be ashamed for even loading that trash SJW webpage

Go back to fucking tumble, jesus
>>
>>14103666
Yep, just don't go in it for the giant robot fights but for the two guys going around and fucking shit up and having fun times
>>
>>14099147
no, next movie will feature a trans and faggot jedi.
>>
>>14103653
To be fair, I'd shit my pants too. The design if fully completed would have made the Death Star look like a joke in comparison. The real ruse was that it was in fact fully operational by the time the leaked plans made it into Alliance hands.

The Empire learned a lot from the Battle of Yavin. They probably should've trained their pilots better at maneuvering within the internals of the DSII though, spamming TIEs was a smart call but as usual the TIE jockeys just eat shit when it comes to maneuvering in tight spaces. But at least the TIEs got scrambled well in advance, I still stand by my belief that if Tarkin scrambled the TIEs immediately the DS1 would've survived long enough to frag Yavin.
>>
>>14103807

Some day I want a galactitc headquarters situated on a roving Diplomacy Star with several shields and relatively high mobility instead of a planetary laser. Having your HQ move around and be mobile makes it harder to hit and better publicity.
>>
>>14099147
>Star Wars is never going to get out of retelling Death Star storyines are they?

Hey man Zeon are still with us 40 years after they were fucking defeated in Gundam. So no, the Death Star will never be forgotten. We will have the revival of the Death Star, the uprising of the troops of the Death Star, the neo Death Star War etc... Death Star is synonym with Star Wars. So it's Death Star wankfest till the end of time I'm afraid.
>>
>>14103827
I'd rather an area denial weapon built on the Death Star frame.

Just move it to a chunk of space and fuck up anyone you don't like. A giant hornet's nest that moves, if you will.
>>
>>14099242
Star Wars was more Death Stars.
>>
The Death Star is a giant ball of future technology with a weapon that can destroy anything.
It's the moeblob of /m/.
>>
>>14103837
*than
>>
>>14103807
>They probably should've trained their pilots better at maneuvering within the internals of the DSII though
I find this statement amusing because the training in TIE Fighter was literally barreling down an enclosed tunnel as fast as you could while destroying objects and dodging obstacles.
>>
>>14099247
Where is the concave port for it then?
Stupid fanart.
>>
>>14102530
>Jedi is where it all started to go wrong.
No. The entire point was a gearing toward mobilization and mass production of Death Stars, you know what the original concept and story draft with RoTJ was going to be? The Alliance was going to launch a massive invasion on the then capital called Had Abaddon, which had it orbited by three Death Stars already completed flanked by the entire Imperial fleet that was supposed to number millions of warships.

That's the fucking point. Like the Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers, and Tie Fighters, the Death Stars were weapons of fear and a psychological symbol of the Empire's might. Tarkin's Doctrine of "rule via fear with the fear of force then force itself" was something Palpatine embraced.
>>
>>14100501
We haven't seen the Mark I ISD since 1977...
>>
>>14100634
Rogue Two with Bothawui getting BDZ'd would be hella sweet.
>>
>>14105215
just getting to see a bunch of goddamn Bothans die would be hella sweet
>>
>>14099242
I think the Gundam comparison is more appropriate if you compared the Newtypes to the Jedi for hijacking their respective series' focus.
>>
>>14105301

What focus did it hijack in the case of Star Wars? Cause the Jedi bit was pretty clearly a major focus in A New Hope.
>>
>>14105311

Not really. There's one minor light saber fight that's over quick. Obi Wan is some old Jedi.

Jedi were really popular and kept getting more powerful and more of a focus in all the stories since.
>>
>>14105319

Nice job ignoring all the talking about Jedi and the Force the movie does, about how being a Jedi is Luke's future, the meeting in Ben's hut where Luke gets Anakin's lightsaber, the training on the Millenium Falcon, the Rebellion using the Force as a blessing and so on.
>>
>>14105311
Ack, I forgot to add "EVENTUALY hijack their series". Jedis were fine in the original trilogy the series but doesn't want to expand beyond the Skywalkers and the Empire. With newtypes in Gundam, it felt a little force at the very end of 0079, but was fine in Zeta, but almost all end-game pilots afterwards is a space psychic instead of just being a real good pilot.
>>
>>14105425

People were talking about how Kamille was a newtype from literally the first episode of Zeta and he was having newtype flashes with Char and seeing space through a floor and shit.

On the other hand Uso wasn't much of a newtype and only started late in his show, Domon, Heero, Garrod and Loran weren't newtypes at all. Nor did three of them even have a newtype analogue themselves (I guess Domon did, but so did everyone in his show, so I don't think it counts). Kira didn't get the SEED factor till the half way point of SEED, Setsuna didn't become a true Innovator till season 2 (or a great pilot really) and Mika has had the AV system for years and started practicing piloting without it during the show.

So where the "almost all" from? Because most of them were pilots first and a newtype or analogue second as near as I can tell. That says nothing about their character, piloting skill or the value of their show mind, but they certainly weren't space psychics and not just good pilots.
>>
>>14103836
>>14103827
Hell, bring back the Malevolence ion gun and build it into a Death Star.

>>14105301
Jedi were the focus of Star Wars since the first rough draft.
>>
>>14105519

Jedi were enough of a focus in Star Wars that the two emotional beats of the film both heavily involved them. Those being the death of Obi-Wan and Luke destroying the Death Star.

Jedi were present through all the drafts of Star Wars in various forms and always a focus, operating under different names like the Ashla/Bogan and Dai Nogas. Star Wars was always a story about them, with the other aspects being a setting to put those pieces in. If anything people are looking to hijack a Jedi franchise to have a Stormtrooper one with bounty hunters and starships, not the other way around.
>>
>>14105333
To be fair, most of the jedi stuff in the OT was very personal. Outside of this or that "Force be with you" it was almost all centered on Luke learning to be a jedi and dealing with his family. The EU stuff through the late 80's and 90's blew that wider open and then we get the prequels that just go full retard midichlorians.

There's a progression, it's just not the same kind of progression as Gundam and newtypes unless you're going to count Zeta and ZZ as the clone wars.
>>
>>14105632
But ZZ was literally the clone wars. Clonetroopers and magic out the ass.
>>
>>14105632

It might have been all centered on Luke, but he was the central protagonist in a story that was, from the earliest formats about trying to revive a dead order no-one really knew about. It centered on him, because outside stories, he was the only one involved. Other material could ignore that restriction since they took place in different times or areas.
>>
>>14105576
>If anything people are looking to hijack a Jedi franchise to have a Stormtrooper one with bounty hunters and starships
And that's the one of the biggest problems with the old EU.
>>
>>14105576
>If anything people are looking to hijack a Jedi franchise to have a Stormtrooper one with bounty hunters and starships, not the other way around.

But it's not hijacking, they're side stories, and that's exactly what side stories should do - look at things outside of the main focus.

7-8-9 are still going to be Jedi/Skywalker stuff.
>>
I don't blame Rogue One for this, I think it's more the fault of Force Awakens.

I wanted to see Rogue One and was on board with the idea of it being a more grounded no-Jedi/force users story about stealing the Death Star plans long before finding out there was anther Death Star equivalent in TFA.

I don't even think it's a huge problem. I remember the EU story where the Imperial Remnant brought the unfinished Death Star prototype online, and it was fine because the story itself was fine.

On the other side of the coin you got Darksaber which is... well, Darksaber.
>>
>>14100669
I got this book for Christmas.
>>
>>14101843
Pablo is such douchenozzle.
>>
>>14103666
It's not the worst /m/ thing you could watch. If you go into it with low expectations you should be okay.
>>
>>14099147
>Star Wars is never going to get out of retelling Death Star storyines are they?
Well the problem is, there is no reason NOT to build a death star. It is basically an invincible offensive weapon, even if it isn't that good for defence. Until and unless they invent a shield capable of blocking it, or somehow stops all Death Stars from functioning, it just makes sense to build what works. Death Star kills things more effectively than anything else in the universe.
>>
>>14106150
>It is basically an invincible offensive weapon
>invincible
Fucking no.
>>
At least in this case it's not another one. It's just the first one in the role of this movies McGuffin.
>>
>>14106156

They're virtually unassailable in a conventional sense.

The first one had a fluke weakness, the second one only had a weakness because it wasn't complete.
>>
>>14099261
Considering that's the energy condenser/collimator and not the energy source itself, it makes perfect sense.

I bet that little laser pointer you're fond of playing with is all a single piece right? Not like the collimator end screw on and off, right?
>>
>>14105830
>Imperial Remnant brought the uninfined Death Star prototype online.
Except that wasn't the Imperial Remnant. That was a bunch of ignorant technical and administrative staff left in the Maw who their protector, an Imperial Admiral, left behind as she took her four ISDs on a rampage across Republic space.

And the Empire wasn't yet fractured or weakened yet to be called the Remnant yet. That would be another decade or so.
>>
>>14106156
>Fucking no.
Offensively invincible as a weapon. As long as you attack first, you win. Death Star's problem is it's lack of ability to defend itself, it's offensive capability is still worth it alone.
>>
>>14106704
The completed Death Star is studded with thousands of defensive weapons. It certainly would be able to take care of itself.
>>
>>14105830
Personally I'm all for more derp stars.

Everything is improved with one of those fuckers.
>>
>>14106782
>The completed Death Star is studded with thousands of defensive weapons. It certainly would be able to take care of itself.
It can try to defend itself, but its construction costs is such that the enemy would always use enough attacking forces to destroy it, and the losses incurred to do so would always be worth it. I am not saying it is defenceless, I am saying it is such a high value target that the attacking force is willing to zerg rush the place, and the attacker tends to come out on top because no matter how many men they lose in the process, a victory would set back the deathstar owner more than the attackers.

The Death Star is not a defensive installation, it is an offensive one. It's capability lies in causing harm to the enemy, not holding territory. If they had diverted the powerplant that fuelled the death star beam into forcefield shielding instead, that fortress would likely have been truly impregnable.
>>
>>14106167
I always assume that only galactic empire themselves had the resources to take on a death star in a frontal attack.

I would actually be interested in a space battle where the good guy have to brute force the death star.
>>
>>14106982
>I always assume that only galactic empire themselves had the resources to take on a death star in a frontal attack.
The interesting thing is what happens if two sides are equal in strength, but one side decide to build a death star; if the death star is completed then the other side would have their planets wiped out, but it is nearly impossible to build something like that fast enough to not get found out. And in the case of both sides being equal, the side without a death star would have a better attacking force to take out the fortress just due to allocation of resources.
>>
>>14100982
>after all this she was fired/let go and she went to Halo and Gears of War
Why would they hire her?
>>
does anyone have the captains log of the SS Phalic nightmare.
that gigantic scaled up super star destroyer thing. with countries and tribes forming inside of it.
>>
>>14106971
>It's capability lies in causing harm to the enemy
This. I have no clue why you'd want a planet nuker when fighting against guerilla rebels.
>>
File: 1423523729524.jpg (768 KB, 2240x1320) Image search: [Google]
1423523729524.jpg
768 KB, 2240x1320
>>14108341
This?
>>
File: multiverse obliterator.jpg (213 KB, 1400x575) Image search: [Google]
multiverse obliterator.jpg
213 KB, 1400x575
>>
>>14108368

God damn that's funny.

Eclipse and Sovereign look fucking dumb, the Executor was already perfect. I assume they're Extended Universe creations, created by a work-for-hire author who just thought "let's take something people loved and make it BIGGER" to give his post-post-post-Empire fleet a shiny new flagship?
>>
File: Eclipse1.jpg (169 KB, 1216x728) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse1.jpg
169 KB, 1216x728
>>14108493

Yeah, Eclipse and Sovereign were from those early EU comic books where Sheev came back to life and Luke turned to the Dark Side

It's also visually not nearly as big as how they describe it in text
>>
>>14108684
Because its a joke image. Are you German by any chance?
>>
>>14101700
So how long is he supposed to have been secretly having the Death Star made before the Republic became the Empire?
>>
>>14108780
We saw the Death Star prototype blueprints in AoTC. AoTC is set 3.5 years before RoTS. We see the prototype under construction by the end of RoTS.

So Sidious had the plans as early as 22-23 years before the OT.
>>
>>14108807
>prototype
Why did they go down the prototype path with the EU stuff?
>>
>>14108780
>>14108807
The thing is, we aren't given a time period for when the scene at the end of ROTS happens. With the flow of the events we are meant to believe it's days after the formation of the Empire, but some people have said that it could have been months.
>>
>>14108831
Say what you will about RotS but I did like the feeling that the last hour or so had. It was terribly handled but they still managed to give a real sense of gravity to what was happening. Pottery and whatnot.
>>
>>14100501
am i the only one that get a " studio grade model " vibe? or has cgi gotten that good for still starship shots
>>
>>14099147
Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs3sVrm_W4o
>>
>>14108718

I know the thing in that image is an incredibly dumb fanfic ship, I'm just saying the next largest things in it aren't, but they've got fucked up sizes anyway because they come from some comic that says they're 4-5x the size of the Executor, but in the art are just about that much bigger than a regular Star Destroyer.
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.