[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shin Mazinger ZERO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: shin mazinger.jpg (704 KB, 1672x1200) Image search: [Google]
shin mazinger.jpg
704 KB, 1672x1200
So how does /m/ feel about Shin Mazinger ZERO? I just caught up to the current translations and am suffering serious Mazinger withdrawal upon finding out that there's just a bunch of untranslated shit out there.
>>
Worst iteration of Mazinger by far, which is a shame since all the others are decent at worst, but Zero is unbelievably bad.
>>
>>14081735
Mecha being equated to gods or demons is my favorite thing so I like that angle.
>>
>>14081740
How so, Anon?
>>
I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to think of ZERO
It's needlessly grim, but also needlessly lighthearted. It's like if Mazinger Z was written by the Cohen brothers.
I still haven't decided if this is an appropriate way to handle the story of Mazinger Z, but what I do know is that it's a massively entertaining schlockfest either way
I could give a more solid opinion if our scanlator would come back from wherever he's hiding and finish what he started
>>
>>14081761

Too much badly done over the top power level shit, and the plot is a really bad kind of generic. Feels like I'm reading average boring mecha series #14583 instead of something that is distinctively Mazinger.
>>
>>14081773
Yeah, I agree. It was really fun and engaging from page one, even with the immensely grimdark chapters it started off with. Then the tone shifts to what I think is a bit more expected of Mazinger, and the reveals in it are actually reasonably shocking. It was very entertaining to read through. I especially love that for once Sayaka isn't a huge jobber and actually a big help to the fight. As usual, all the characters are immensely fun to watch and even with the casualfagging I was thoroughly entertained. Plus most if not all of ZERO's designs are kind of amazing and get me hard.

Then I noticed it hasn't been updated since sometime last year and I cried myself to sleep last night.
>>
>>14081781
I don't know how far you've read, but all that's been scanned is pretty tame in terms of power levels. The fights all feel pretty normal tier for Mazinger.

And aren't most Mazinger plots pretty simple?
>>
>>14081788
>are kind of amazing and get me hard
They look awful though.
>>14081794
They really don't. They're also really boring, just like the whole damned plot itself. The plot is bad because it's that garbage multiple universes/incarnations that you see far too much, and it's very lazy.
>>
Anyone want to take bets on
>>14081740
>>14081781
>>14081805
being the same poster shitposting in the Getter b-day thread?
>>
>>14081805
I can't really remember the last multiple universe thing I've seen, but the manga isn't really like, dripping with it either. It's not like it's a new reality every chapter or something. I think without counting the sequel there's only one reset you actually see in the manga, at the very beginning, and the rest is just one timeline.
>>
>>14081805
But there's only one reset in the first manga. They don't focus too heavily on the multiple universe stuff for the most part. The design part we'll just have to agree to disagree, since that's pretty subjective.

Though, I can't even remember the last multiple universe/incarnations thing I've seen.
>>
>>14081834
>poster shitposting in the Getter b-day thread
What are you talking about?
>>
>>14081865
>>14081865
Whoops, school net lagged and accidentally posted twice.
>>
>>14081854
You're correct. In the first series, it starts with a bad end timeline before switching to a better timeline that doesn't change for the rest of the manga.
>>
File: mazinkaiser-2213013.jpg (258 KB, 800x1182) Image search: [Google]
mazinkaiser-2213013.jpg
258 KB, 800x1182
>>14081794
>And aren't most Mazinger plots pretty simple?
Go Nagai conspiracies are always the best.
>>
>>14081735
At this point, Happy Scans are the only group left that could do it, and even then it's not guaranteed.

>>14081773
Maybe Yogo and Tabata wanted to overcompensate in terms doing amends, for what they did in the Rape Namek version of Wolf Guy. As some sort of crazy apology letter.
>>
I haven't read it, but I saw the last few chapters posted on /m/ a while back. Apparently Mazinger Z gains the ability to summon all known mecha? Or like their spirits or something? Which I think is kinda neat, seeing as how Z is one of the fathers of the genre.
>>
>>14081976
>At this point, Happy Scans are the only group left that could do it
Happy Scans cannot do it without Dynamic Pro Scans.
>>
File: confused-cat.jpg (32 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
confused-cat.jpg
32 KB, 512x384
>>14082002
Well fuck. That only leaves Mangalism, who somehow stopped bothering to update their own website despite working on Devilman G.
>>
>>14081998
Photon energy creations made by using peoples imagination
> seeing as how Z is one of the fathers of the genre
bit much credit there
>>
>>14082048
>bit much credit there
Sorry, but it's a fact. The mecha genre as we know it would not exist without Mazinger.
>>
>>14081788
>Sayaka isn't a huge jobber and actually a big help to the fight

She constantly saves Koji in the original series though...
>>
>>14082077
What if there was no Mazinger Z? What if most mecha took inspiration from the earlier works of Yokoyama instead? What would Gundam and Eva look like in this timeline?>>14082188
>>
>>14082077
Ha.
>>14082201
Maybe remote controlled, that's about it.
>>
>>14082048
I remeber talking about this in another thread.

Mazinger Z is the father of the genre, Tetsujin was the grandfather, Getter was the crazy uncle, Gundam was the popular brother, Eva was an angsty teen, and Gurren Lagann was an energetic kid trying to be like his uncle.
>>
>>14082208
>le shitpost

Fuck off back to italian internet
>>
>>14082208
If a lot of the shows we're familiar with had remote controlled mecha instead of piloted mecha, a lot of them would have ended up very, very different
>>
>>14082213
So who was the family MILF? Raideen?
>>
>>14082220
Not really.
>>14082218
Just calm down anon.
>>
>>14082213
Does that make Red Baron the step-father trying to be as loved as his brother, in this analogy? Also, Gatchaman is a distant cousin that's twice-removed that no one says anything much about.
>>
>>14082230
It would. Most shows probably wouldn't be able to find a good way to have character death because if all mecha are controlled remotely, the would never be a reason for anyone to be on the battlefield
>>
>>14082213
Ginguiser is kept in the attic where visiting guests can't see him.
>>
>>14082208
>Maybe remote controlled, that's about it.
They would also lack
>attack calling
>physical and thematic connection between pilot/robot
>combining robots
>transforming robots
>miracle energy format
>science-fortress format
>robot=god themes
>fem giant robots
>comedy relief robot
>women piloting mecha
>mecha-gets-destroyed-and-replaced-by-newer-model-upgrade format
>etc
>>
Mazinger Z completely revolutionized mecha. There's a reason why there was a million and one Mazinger Z clones in not only the 70s, but also the 80s and 90s. You simply cannot make the argument that Mazinger Z wasn't influential, because it's just plain wrong on all accounts. Shit, if you want to argue, just go read Japanese accounts of its influence. The jp wiki ever has a nice little section on it for you.
>>
>>14082257
Most of that might have happened anyway as most of it is not mutually exclusive with remote controlled robots

However there's also stuff there that Mazinger Z didn't play a part in, like transforming or combining mecha
>>
>>14082266
>Most of that might have happened anyway
But we aren't living in an alternate timeline. Mazinger Z did it and it changed mecha forever. Deal with it.
>>
>>14082261
>a million and one
Name twenty that are undeniable so.
>>14082266
>might have
Would have.
>>
File: Mazinger-Z-01-0201.png (228 KB, 829x1300) Image search: [Google]
Mazinger-Z-01-0201.png
228 KB, 829x1300
>>14082266
>like transforming or combining mecha
Mazinger Z had combining mecha before Getter was made.
>>
>>14082266
>implying Mazinger didn't invent combining mecha
Get the fuck out spic
>>
>>14082294
Getter was the one that popularized it and the first to have it be the protagonists robot. Don't you start getting a swollen head now, Mazingerfag.
>>
>>14082303
Actually, I'm a Getterfag. Eat shit, Mario.
>>
>>14082324
No reason to get pissy and false flag, Mazingerfag.
>>
In all honesty, it really doesn't matter how much Mazinger had a hand in the cockpit concept.

What does that matter however, is that Mazinger literally revived the genre.and transformed it forever.

It also helps that it was popular.
>>
>>14082394
>What does that matter however, is that Mazinger literally revived the genre
Not really, mecha hadn't even gotten really popular until Mazinger. Sure, Tetsujin was a huge hit but it didn't really create a whole market of mecha like Mazinger Z did.
>>
>>14082394
>Mazinger literally revived the genre.and transformed it forever
Nice one
>>
>>14082398
>Tetsujin was a huge hit but it didn't really create a whole market
There were other sci fi anime back then, and Tetsujin dominated them all for a long time.
>>
>>14082406
We're talking about giant robots, son.
>>
>>14081735
i really loved the ending that was posted here around november
>>
>>14082240
Tetsujin 28 and Giant Robo required their controllers to be VERY close to the mechs in order to control them, I don't think threat of death would be negated at all.
>>
>>14083666
That's one of the simplest things to change, and it wouldn't make any sense in a more futuristic setting
Hell, a lot of things barely make sense now since some shows have fully AI controlled mecha and piloted mecha coexisting for some odd reason
>>
>>14083739
Make more sense than actually being in robot
>>
File: Giant-Robo-02-060.png (192 KB, 975x1427) Image search: [Google]
Giant-Robo-02-060.png
192 KB, 975x1427
>>14083666
>required their controllers to be VERY close to the mechs in order to control them
False.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.