[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Realistic Mecha"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15
File: witing.png (669 KB, 1149x621) Image search: [Google]
witing.png
669 KB, 1149x621
a question gentle/m/en. a lot of /m/ want their mecha shows "realistic", but the real question is, how much "realistic" a mecha show will you watch, set aside the debate of tanks vs mecha etc. etc. etc.

Will you watch a show about soldiers doing endless drills, marching, cleaning their bunk beds, and twiddling their thumbs waiting for a dispatch/mission order? then the general tells them its a no go because peace talks are pursued by their government.

Pic related I guess
>>
File: greco-hamburger.jpg (33 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
greco-hamburger.jpg
33 KB, 854x480
G-Reco level realism.
>>
>>14080898
>Will you watch a show about soldiers doing endless drills, marching, cleaning their bunk beds, and twiddling their thumbs waiting for a dispatch/mission order?

That sounds like the most boring shit possible.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X-0vSNjVTE
>>
>>14080921
>he didn't watch Patlabor
>>
kuso thread
>>
Muv-Luv Alternative. I'm dead serious.
>>
>>14080898
What you just described was Patlabor. Including the "orders to sortie canceled cause it as a false alarm."

That'd make for a great character drama, at any rate. Focus less on flashy over the top CGI battles and more on the characters, interacting with each other, dealing with their situation, etc etc.
>>
>>14080898
>Soldiers dicking around doing boring soldier things for fucking ages
>Suddenly muh grimderp shit just got real
So basically you want MLA?
>>
>>14080941
>>14080898
I mean, one of the scenes in the fucking show is the squad going out to cut grass.

CUT GRASS!
>>
>>14080933
Good, the tv series was boring af
>>
>>14080941
>>14080942
>>14080944
The thought came to mind because of lurking in /m/ for a few years now, it seems that a lot of /m/ want "realistic mecha" or operators operating operationally.

but yeah, if there is a realistic mecha, it will be nothing but have pilots twiddling their thumbs waiting for a mission order

so im asking to what degree of "realism" you want your mecha show
>>
>>14080950
>current year
>unironically being ADHD
>>
File: operators gonna operate.webm (3 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
operators gonna operate.webm
3 MB, 700x394
>>14080958
>operators operating operationally.
>tfw we'll never have a Seal Team Six of /m/ going around and being sneeki breeki tacticool in their 18km tall robutts.
>>
>>14080961
bc not enjoying toilet jokes means I have adhd
>>
Patlabor's Seven Days of Fire is one of my favorite anime episodes, and it focuses solely on the mechanics and on site rules. I really don't care about realism at all, but it was really fun.
>>
>>14080933
>Patlabor
>soldiers
>drills
>twiddling thumbs while nothing happens
>>
>>14081120
>I really don't care about realism at all
It's kinda realistic though.

You don't see soldiers going full nazi but there is always an eternal battle between contraband and the commanders...it can get quite absurd at times.
>>
>>14080941
Full series and film subs when?
>>
>>14081015

You're kinda asking for War in the Pocket, right?
>>
Or how about a mecha series about a soldiers, doing nothing, but drills, simulations, marching, cleaning, and twiddling thumbs waiting for dispatch orders

and the episode always ends with

"General is there an order yet?"

"Its a no go. a kid stumbled in a MS and decimated the enemy forces and now in pursuit, for now, you are in dung duty"
>>
Mechs are strange because they're treated like infantry and high spec war machines like fighter jets at the same time.
>>
>>14081165
Isn't that kind of the point?
>>
Something like Generation Kill with Votoms like mecha would be the best shit ever.
>>
>>14080898

All I really want is death and misery in war. The rest, I can suspend my disbelief. I want Black Hawk Down-level stuff of drama and violence.

The thing where all characters obviously have plot armor rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>14081316
Game of Thrones political intrigue during downtime + BHD violence, death + all suits designed by Katoki.

There you go.
>>
>>14080898
>Will you watch a show about soldiers doing endless drills, marching, cleaning their bunk beds, and twiddling their thumbs waiting for a dispatch/mission order? then the general tells them its a no go because peace talks are pursued by their government.

That makes mecha redundant in the story unless setting justifies them why it rusting in the hanger.
But then it would become the show where it would target of arguments "mecha is not the focus ", "didn't matter whether there was any need to insert some robot just for being robot"

I think the problem lies in the fact that most mecha have been military sci fi.
For a "realistic mecha" show you have to make the "mecha" with in the paradigms of hard sci fi.

Otherwise your arguments cancels the need of having mecha in 1s place.
>>
>>14081015
It's a pretty good feeling. Also
>18km
That is quite the egregious size for that kind of robot.
>>
I like a show with (mildly) realistic character interactions
Everything else should be as unrealistic as possible
>>
Going to use Valkyria Chronicles as a good example.

Generally speaking, in a military academy setting make the cadets behave like...cadets. Instead of school clubs it is sneaking in to the opposite dorm to get a quickie with one of the girls who has a crush on him.

Show more signs of general truancy, not just brawling and shit but underage drinking and drug abuse.

On the actual warzone?

Show some real PTSD among some of the pilots and crew. Show what happens when you are in a penal battalion and how the women should feel unsafe. I mean Riela and Imca should have suffered from at one incident of sexual abuse at the hands of the corrupt Gallian Nobility given how they are basically nameless penal battalion soldiers and they would basically have to let the officers have their way with them in bed despite Kirk's protests.

Well that is the gritty side anyway.
>>
>>14081641

Speaking from experience, are we?
>>
>>14081316

Of all the myriad war films you think of for violence, you think of BHD?
>>
File: 1331142397918.jpg (1 MB, 717x1024) Image search: [Google]
1331142397918.jpg
1 MB, 717x1024
Reminder that VOTOMS exist.

Else, let's not be stuck on gritty military warfare like VOTOMS or Gundam.
I'm sure there's a lot of unexplored ideas that have not be approached.

Patlabor was still about enforcer, laws enforcers. But what about Explorer ? There's even a few one shot at miners getting embarked on a heroes journey.

Speaking of journeys, "Waiting for dispatch/mission" isn't the only realistic scenario either. Patlabor showed plenty of that and it had insanely costly robot.

But just take a universe where incredible (but realistic) technology are common as day, murder the director who want to make it a harem boy vs evil martian, and many will watch gleefully sport for 0-G, going to school with a spidermech,

Me I'll watch a show about funny slice-of-life and hijink in realistic Torus space-habitat anytime.
>>
>>14080898
The most "realistic" control scheme I ever seen in a gundam toon is GUNDAM-G(OD FINGER!!!!!!).
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQYz4T7d1V8

With such direct input, you won't need MUH NEWTYPE MUH GARYEST OF STUS pilots to sit in those gundams. It's perfect!
>>
>>14080941
Active Raid was butter because cute grills.
>>
File: WEG GundanBurger.jpg (131 KB, 1100x500) Image search: [Google]
WEG GundanBurger.jpg
131 KB, 1100x500
>>14081147
>War in Burgers
Lol. Muh germans make the best burgers.
>>
I liked that episode of Dai-Guard where they sat around doing nothing the entire time.

You could make a whole series based around that idea and it would be cheap as chips.
>>
File: 1451194320682.jpg (28 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1451194320682.jpg
28 KB, 300x400
>>14081015
>18km tall robutts
>sneaky
>>
>>14083542
>wanting tiny robots
fuck off manlet
>>
>>14081015
>unishit
>even close to sneeki breeki tacticool

that fucking scene was retarded
>>
>>14083550
>wanting super robot dick compensators
>>
>>14083559
It's not a compensator, it's a dick enhancer.
You wouldn't understand since you don't have one
>>
>>14083559
It's a practical thing, not image.
>>
>>14083581
>It's a practical thing
Bullshit.
>>
>>14083542
Size doesn't matter to you realismfags, what actually does is it being colored brown and or green
you just don't know it
>>
File: projecting.jpg (34 KB, 490x333) Image search: [Google]
projecting.jpg
34 KB, 490x333
>>14083589
>Size doesn't matter to you
Yes it does.
>>
>>14083594
Well of course, the bigger, the better.
>>
ITT: realisticucks show that they are one of the worst cancers on this board
>>
File: Not quite my tempo.png (276 KB, 586x634) Image search: [Google]
Not quite my tempo.png
276 KB, 586x634
>>14083602
>implying these faggots are from /m/
>>
File: For-your-ass-pain-97841411163.jpg (45 KB, 1024x423) Image search: [Google]
For-your-ass-pain-97841411163.jpg
45 KB, 1024x423
>>14083600
>>14083602
Epic.
>>
>>14083586
How do you cut a planet with your axe if both the robot and the axe are too small?
>>
>>14083602
That's been obvious for months.
Hell, years if you think about it.
>>
File: 1431357789428.jpg (83 KB, 480x650) Image search: [Google]
1431357789428.jpg
83 KB, 480x650
There is far more bitching about realismfags than there is shitposting from realismfags.
>>
File: faggot.png (115 KB, 613x1047) Image search: [Google]
faggot.png
115 KB, 613x1047
>>14083707
then maybe fuck off to another board where you're welcome
>>
>>14083783
Nice strawman. Upvoted.
>>
File: 13466119.jpg (152 KB, 800x719) Image search: [Google]
13466119.jpg
152 KB, 800x719
>>14082608
>But what about Explorer ?

Armoured Fleet Dairugger XV was technically about a group of space explorers who kept having to defend themselves during their otherwise peaceful mission. Each group was specialized to explore particular environments, and there are many scenes of those guys doing nothing but flying around looking at planets and talking about the geology and shit.
>>
>>14083707
It isn't nearly as much about the shitposting as much as it is about both the lack of content for and the actual bitching which -has- come from realismfags.

Shitposting is a little less common than bitching, namely about what's available not being realistic enough and how so-and-so and such-and-such designs are better than others, or babby's first /m/ thread dissing Gundam or the like without having actually watched anything. Typically realism guys don't really seem to watch a of of anime in general, which means they can't talk about most of the material on the board either.

IRL this translates to most people just never giving giant robots of any kind a chance whatsoever.
>>
>>14083847

That is, of course, not to say it's a realistic show. But it at least has a premise that doesn't revolve around harem shit and magical dickery.
>>
>>14080898
If you want realism Japan is incapable of properly depicting war properly ever.

If you want war go watch Saving Private Ryan, BHD, or Generation Kill.
>>
>>14080898
>Will you watch a show about soldiers doing endless drills, marching, cleaning their bunk beds, and twiddling their thumbs waiting for a dispatch/mission order? then the general tells them its a no go because peace talks are pursued by their government.

No, but I would watch a show about mecha pilots that fuck around the barracks getting Article 15s, buying space cars on 25% interest, pawning their pilot suits every month, sneaking through the motor pool to steal shit from neighboring unit's mobile suits, getting into fights at strip clubs, showing up for staff duty drunk, and fucking barracks girls stupid.

>Mobile Suit Gundam: Friday Afternoon Police Call

>Macross: Super Idol Safety Briefing

>Armoured Trooper Extra Duty
>>
>>14081316
The only good thing about Black Hawk Down was the Stevie Ray Vaughn cover of Voodoo Child
>>
>>14082637
Damn you I fucking cried when Bernie bought the farm. That video at the end he made just made it hurt worse
>>
>>14080898
>a lot of /m/ want their mecha shows "realistic",
As more time has passed and I've consumer more /m/ material I have felt this less and less. It'd be like me wanting water that isn't wet.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.