[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid shit that bugs you about mecha designs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: 1451266836348.jpg (230 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1451266836348.jpg
230 KB, 1440x810
>the asymmetric spine column for the average Fafner frame, it's completely out of place and would make more sense rotated 90 degrees as a crooked spine
>>
It's not that I think it's stupid, I just don't get why it's like that
>>
>>14071703
>>14071714
It's like that because Fafners are meant to be weird and make little to no sense proportionally.
>>
>>14071721
Too bad the weird isn't properly conveyed by the rest of the frame. No point in being lumpy and curvaceous yet totally symmetric only to fuck it up at the center.

The spine does not follow from the design, its asymmetry is purely arbitrary.
>>
>>14071734
Yes, that's the entire point.

Fafners were designed as "let's make a giant robot that's really fucking weird, makes no sense and awkward so it's impossible to make toys of it"

And people still crave them.
>>
>>14071817
>so it's impossible to make toys of it"

Well they gave it the old college try, but people found a way
>>
Fafner was a mecha series?
>>
>>14071817
>the entire point
>instead of putting thought into an unusual design let's just shit up a random part, people will eat it up!

Also nothing about them makes it impossible to toyify.
>>
>>14072032
Not him but iirc it took a while for them to get figures that could stand up correctly.
>>
Is no one going to ask why the spines are even like that? is it because of the fafner's cores?Because I do remember that elf's original core was used for sein's when kazuki started piloting sein.
>>
>>14072044
Standing is a totally different issue altogether.
>>
>>14072046

Well the core is a crystal so I'm not sure
>>
>>14072046
Core isn't really asymmetrical, so there's no reason the torso needs to be like that as well. It's just a weird design decision.
>>
>>14071703
Hands.
>>
File: nagano for ants.jpg (18 KB, 185x214) Image search: [Google]
nagano for ants.jpg
18 KB, 185x214
>>14071817
amateurs
>>
>>14072181

Nagano never actually said that. He just hates snap kits because it requires no effort and he thinks it insults the people who got cancer from the fumes of the glue/paints they used in making kits the old fashioned way.

No really.
>>
I liked how in Exodus they gave the mass production UN Fafners normal, symmetrical waists. It was a nice touch that conveys their status as simplified, to-the-point pieces of hardware instead of snowflake custom machines.

As for shit that bugs me, I'd say thrusters that are completely out of line with the mech's gravity center. Physics would make sure such a design would spin and crash face first unto the ground as soon as it used them.
>>
>>14072200
>I liked how in Exodus they gave the mass production UN Fafners normal, symmetrical waists. It was a nice touch that conveys their status as simplified, to-the-point pieces of hardware instead of snowflake custom machines.

Yeah and they're all shit-tier mechs that can barely beat a sphnix-type.
>>
File: gnms-xcvii[1].jpg (58 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
gnms-xcvii[1].jpg
58 KB, 400x393
I always thought this didn't fit with the general 00 aesthetic. It doesn't relate to any other designs and it's almost GM like. It should've had some resemblance to the GN-X.
>>
>>14072204
Actually, some of the models in Exodus aren't THAT bad. They just have a bad tendency to run into giant swarms of Festum and Diablo Types.

Remember, the dick squad ran into one of the fucking Azazel Types and all got out to tell about it.
>>
>>14072197
I know it's April Fools day anon, but you aren't fooling anyone.
>>
>>14072340

I'm serious, look up the quote. He acts all self-righteous because people don't literally suffer in making their models anymore.
>>
>>14072204
Hey don't get me wrong, they're bad but they're surely more than 10(0) times cheaper than a Island Fafner. I think it's a worthy balance, especially for a military that has to be spread thin to protect a lot of places at once.
>>
>>14072423
>Hey don't get me wrong, they're bad but they're surely more than 10(0) times cheaper than a Island Fafner.

Are they? How does funding for Alvis even work? It's an isolated island that has no way of trading or doing anything else to raise capital. It feels like they just have the Mir make them
>>
>>14072370
>look up the quote

You mean the one where that anon took Miyazaki's rant on iPads and converted it into a Gunpla rant?

https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/07/13/miyazaki-ipad-users-nothing-but-chronic-masturbators/

Why is /m/ so gullible these days?
>>
>>14072449
I sense a connection.
>>
>>14071817
>And people still crave them

And those people have really bad aesthetic taste.
>>
File: 81fLcfSxhoL._SL1500_.jpg (166 KB, 1500x1217) Image search: [Google]
81fLcfSxhoL._SL1500_.jpg
166 KB, 1500x1217
>>14071734
>>14071817
>the weird isn't properly conveyed by the rest of the frame
Actually it does, it's kinda hard to see in the show but this is what the joints look like in the toy version.
>>
>>14072446
Just an estimation, considering they're custom made, filled with experimental and state of the art tech and that even after getting all the data the UN decided to design low cost units instead of just copying the Island captured models. But, since Fafner performance is highly dependant on the user's compatibility, maybe that's why the Island kids outperform the UN forces so hard.
As I typed that I remembered Maya wrecking the ROE Alpha squad, that shut was insanely hype. Gotta rewatch Fafner soon.
>>
>>14072688
That's also partially because Maya is literally a female Jesus Yamato at this point in terms of being a designer baby.

She had the leading island physician and genetics expert as her mother and her father was the leading "I will do anything to fuck Festums shit up" guy

She probably got the most attention and modification during her development

I mean fuck, she fucking merc'd three fully maintained fully equipped Fafner, in a unit that likely hadn't had proper maintenance for months with only a pistol, knife and wires.
>>
>>14071703
>Stupid shit that bugs you about mecha designs
The ReGZ's everything and anything.
>>
>>14072688

No that's not my question.

I'm asking how are the Alvis models costing anything when their isolation means their currency is pointless? It seems like since their options are "build them or the Japanese become extinct", they're doing it without pay.
>>
>>14073953
They cost resources.

As an independent island nation with no trade, all the resources poured in are the cost, which can leave other areas waning.

I mean, the ultimate use of resources would be converting an Alvis into an Macross style Fafner
>>
File: MetatronSH.jpg (2 MB, 1228x1520) Image search: [Google]
MetatronSH.jpg
2 MB, 1228x1520
>>14072240
I think its one of the best designs in 00, but thats because it reminds me of SMT Metatron.

Also fits Alejandros character.
>>
>>14072949
The hate for the ReGZ has more to do with CCA's artwork than the design. The ReGZ itself is a nice design and looka great rendered properly and the only thing I hate about the ReGZ Custom is the full retard AK-47 beam rifle.
>>
>>14074079
That would be the stupidest thing they could ever possibly do with Fafner.

I kinda want to see it.
>>
>>14074079
Considering that the size of the island shows there isn't really enough resources to make as many fafners as they did, I think the Mir really DOES make them for them/
>>
>>14074137
Nope, the ReGZ is not a good design. It has some decent elements, but considered holistically, it's a miserable thing.
>>
File: 6276563f.jpg (70 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
6276563f.jpg
70 KB, 650x1000
The one thing preventing me from loving the Palace Athene like I should are those stupid shoulders. They look like olives with antlers sticking out of them, it's completely ridiculous!
>>
>>14074166
>ISN'T THIS PROPER FORM

>IT'S PROPER FORM, I STUDIED YOUR STRUCTURE OF THE HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY LABELED "SOLDIER"

>...OH WAIT IT WAS "SCOLIOSIS," MY BAD
>>
>>14072503
I still can't believe that this model exists
>>
>>14073953
Well then, it is stated several times in the show that the Mir gives them the resources needed to sustain themselves, but it doesn't give them the finished components probably. So I guess the Mir gives them the raw materials and they use them? I don't have a lot of trust on a Mir being able to create a capacitor from scratch.
>>
>>14073953
They mine the ocean floor for minerals, each island was made to be completely self suficient
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.