[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amuro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14
File: PTSD.jpg (77 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
PTSD.jpg
77 KB, 960x720
His attitude was reasonable the rest of the crew were trash until Ryu died. I swear Bright was antagonizing him for no reason especially the moment when he forced Amuro to pilot when he got PTSD.
>>
>>14070897
Frau and Sayla pissed me off the most
>>
Yes, that's part of the point.

the slap was supposed to make bright look incompetent.
>>
>>14070897
Amuro was really creepy at times
>>
File: I thought I heard a girls name.jpg (10 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
I thought I heard a girls name.jpg
10 KB, 267x200
>>14070897
>Amuro Latasha Hill

Damn sista, I like your name.
>>
>>14070904
She was great for a woman of her age.
>>
>>14070897
The point is that Bright is under extreme pressure and he has no idea how to deal with everything
>>
>>14070904
I thought Sayla handled everything pretty well, other than that one Gundamjacking.
>>
File: PTSD sandwich.webm (348 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
PTSD sandwich.webm
348 KB, 720x480
>>14070897

PTSD wasn't officially recognized as a real mental disorder until the 1980s, Latasha. Amuro didn't have PTSD, he was just being a whiny little bitch until he got Bright Slapped into a competent pilot.
>>
>>14072078
>Dealing with the emotional side effects of murdering people in war wasn't a thing until the 1980s.
Yeah. I'm sure his trauma was completely unrecognized.
>>
>>14070897
Bright was also an incompetent kid. It's a goddamn miracle the White Base lasted as long as it did without the crew cracking.
>>
>>14072078
>Bright Slapped into a competent pilot.
>still pushing this stale meme

The slap did fuckall. It just ticked Amuro off.

It was Fraw Bow who persuaded him into doing what was right.

Early 0079 Bright's about as good a captain as Murrue Ramius, except he didn't have two other officers rounding him out
>>
>>14072339
>>14072313
>>14072028
>>14070908
These guys get it, people miss the point of the slap fairly often. It showcases that Bright was a kid himself with no idea how to handle the situation. Although to be fair that also shows how many problems there were in the Federal Forces overall since that sort of thing seems to have been standard practice.
>>
>>14072339
Bright pretty much had to learn the hard way unlike Murrue.
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (151 KB, 795x470) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
151 KB, 795x470
>>14072173
>Sheryl misses the point again

The fact is that the world didn't know about psychological trauma incurred during stressful environments until years after the Vietnam War when US troops were returning home. You can bet '70s era Japanese anime writers didn't have a clue that PTSD was a real mental disorder. Before being researched and officially recognized, manifestations of PTSD was seen as mere anxiety or a lack of nerve in a person weak of character and that the person just needed to "sack up and snap out of it" which was quite literally the case with Bright/Amuro interactions at the times. And Amuro did eventually snap out of it which means that Amuro did NOT have PTSD.
>>
File: ep9b.jpg (40 KB, 214x150) Image search: [Google]
ep9b.jpg
40 KB, 214x150
>>14072339
This. Everyone knows the proper way to turn kids into competent soldiers is the Wong Lee corporal punishment.
>>
File: 1436520376545.jpg (56 KB, 597x402) Image search: [Google]
1436520376545.jpg
56 KB, 597x402
>>14072367
>It showcases that Bright was a kid himself with no idea how to handle the situation.

Hardly. This is truly millenial thinking.

Abuse by physical assault of lower-ranking members was not uncommon in military ranks. In the US military it was an acceptable disciplinary action until recent decades. I never served in the military of a foreign country in the mid-20th century, but I think it's safe to assume that it was okay in their military ranks, too. Even in the Gundam-verse, physical assault was the norm when someone gets out of line.

Amuro getting Bright-slapped was not because Bright was losing his cool. It was because Amuro was still acting like a civilian child instead of a member of the Federation forces. Bright hit Amuro because Bright saw that Amuro still lacked a sense of duty and wanted to make Amuro know that that is not acceptable in the simplest way that Bright knew how. Furthermore, Amuro referenced that not even his own father (Tem Ray) hit him which is indicative that Amuro never really had any sense of discipline in his life.
>>
>>14072514
It didn't work though. Which was the point. If Bright had better experience and knew more about Amuro, he'd have done something more effective.
>>
>>14072609

It was a culmination of things that finally got Amuro back in the Gundam (namely Bright mentioning Char). Either way, Bright's accosting Amuro and calling him a coward let him know that Amuro is no longer a child and he that he has real responsibilities now.
>>
>>14072609
Bright doesn't even have the gall to look Amuro in the face when he berates him after the slap
>>
>>14072418
Does anyone in Gundam actually have PTSD or at least trauma from wars?
>>
>>14073000
Picrelated, plus I'm pretty sure Amuro is afraid to go into space in Zeta.
>>
>>14072514
It didn't make Amuro more disciplined though. Yeah he got back in the Gundam but as >>14072661 said, he also wanted to fight Char as well as other factors. Bright's behavior slowly started to build up resentment in Amuro. Because Bright kept treating him like shit he stole the Gundam and almost screwed the White Base over completely. Not to say that Amuro was justified, stealing the Gundam was highly immature and proved that he was still just a child, but Bright could have handled a lot of things better.
>>
>>14070897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_4tUA1QltQ
>>
>>14072078
>PTSD wasn't officially recognized as a real mental disorder until the 1980s
Yeah but the military had words for it since WW1.

WW1: Shell Shock
WW2: Battle Fatigue
Korean War: Operational Exhaustion
Vietnam: PTSD

But the more damning thing is Japan doesn't really understand mental illness at all. So I wouldn't call it PTSD because quite frankly so little of the country knowing anything about such things. I know that's the case in a lot of the world, but in Japan's case it's particularly damning for a first world country.
>>
>>14072514
Tomino literally stated bright hit Amuro because bright was an idiot 17 year old that didn't have any clue how to command effectively. Keep posting fanfiction though.
>>
>>14072339
>Early 0079 Bright's about as good a captain as Murrue Ramius, except he didn't have two other officers rounding him out

Plus she had the excuse that she wasn't a soldier, she was an engineer. Bright was as low in position as an ensign, but at least an ensign is taught about being in a battle situation.
>>
>>14072514
>I never served in the military of a foreign country in the mid-20th century, but I think it's safe to assume that it was okay in their military ranks, too

Imperial Japan was all about beating the shit out of lower rank soldiers
>>
>>14073911
>Bright was as low in position as an ensign, but at least an ensign is taught about being in a battle situation.
Eh, given the immediate and crushing loss of personnel that the EFSF faced in the OYW, they might have skimped on the training a bit after they recruited every last person between the ages of 18 and 45.

As for Murrue, even as an engineer, she probably had some degree of combat training since she's 25 in SEED and that probably means she has years of experience in the military. At the very least, we can assume that both went through basic.
>>
>>14073883

Well, Japan 'knows' about it, but they have an incredibly jarring way of addressing it, which is basically that they don't address it at all because societal conformity is enforced to a tee and if you visit a psychiatrist you're basically admitting to others that you have a problem and they don't want that. Everyone must be a functional member of society for the greater good, and if you're mentally ill, you need extra help, and if you need extra help, you are stigmatized because you are not functional and cannot contribute without that help. They also believe that mental illnesses derive not from anything genetic or biological, but from personality traits, so essentially if you have schizophrenia, depression or autism, it's your fault because you're a terrible person.

Also helps that, in a study conducted little under three years ago, five percent of Japanese people involved in it believed that mentally ill individuals could recover from their illness regardless of what it is, only 20 percent of interviewed professionals believed that mentally ill people should live in a community without being hospitalized, and 75 percent of participants agreed with the idea of not renting a room to someone because they have a mental illness.

It's fucked up.
>>
>>14073948

Shit, no wonder the suicide and hikkikomori rate of japan is so high
>>
>>14073903
>Tomino literally stated bright hit Amuro because bright was an idiot 17 year old that didn't have any clue how to command effectively.

Citation needed because Bright wasn't 17 in 0079.

Seems like you are the one posting fanfic now.
>>
>>14073967
Just imagine what would happen if Japan gets hit with a particularly big catastrophe. Whole thing would fall like a house of cards.
>>
>>14073911
>she was an engineer.
Which is the shame that I don't think they ever did anything with that. They could have had her design a trap based on structure and terrain, and when they ask how she did that she could say "well I am an engineer"
>>
>>14073990
Watch her be a fucking civil engineer that's responsible for designing services on base and shit.

Seriously, being an engineer doesn't mean shit until you add the adjective.
>>
>>14073948

More importantly if you seek psychiatric help it doesn't speak badly of you as it does your parents. Since it says to them that you were raised badly. Oddly in Welcome to the NHK Satou's dad did try to get him therapy, basically for the reason of "you're my son".

But yeah, watch some videos of interviews with Japanese volunteers for suicide prevention services and such. They always talk about how hard it is to get through to people.

>>14074004

Considering she was working on the Gundam when the colony was attacked, I think she was an electrical engineer. She was going to pilot the Gundam but she got injured, and then she couldn't understand the OS the programmer put in it (though neither could Kira, which is why he rewrote it).
>>
>>14073883
>Yeah but the military had words for it since WW1.

That's not the same as understanding PTSD as a real mental disorder and how to approach treatment. Before PTSD was identified, the mode of thought was that soldiers were just suffering from acute anxiety attacks and that they just needed to get over it. The ones that were able to pull themselves together after an episode doesn't equate to having their problems solved and were prone to multiple relapses.
>>
File: 17-monsha.jpg (13 KB, 301x227) Image search: [Google]
17-monsha.jpg
13 KB, 301x227
>>14072078
>>14073883
>>14073948
>>14074068

There's only one cure for PTSD faggots. And that's to put them out of their misery.
>>
File: giggling dummies.png (292 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
giggling dummies.png
292 KB, 500x370
>Amuro gets slapped once
>hasn't even watched a good friend die right in front of him

that's cute.
>>
>>14074068

You can say that about any psychological disorder before the advent of neuroscience.
>>
>>14073000
Amuro clearly has some shit to deal with in zeta still, I'd say he suffers from PTSD

Also with all this talk about bright slapping people demonstrating his ineffectiveness as a captian, how come it works slapping the shit out of Kamille? The "corrections" are a running joke in zeta
>>
>>14074198

I think it's more that he was fighting without end for like 3 days in a row. I mean the original cases of shell shock didn't come from seeing death, all wars had that. It came from people snapping due to the relentless, unending exploding of shells overhead. Hence the term shel shock
>>
>>14072514

this gives a little bit of insight
>>
>>14074253

Because Kamille doesn't have any issues other than autism. They're just slapping him because he's being a little shit.
>>
>>14073948
I dunno. that last part sounds reasonable to me.
>>
File: noble-deaths-pr.jpg (19 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
noble-deaths-pr.jpg
19 KB, 300x168
>>14073917
>>
>>14074262
Kamille is not autistic
>>
>>14074226

True.

The point being that the science wasn't in yet so there was limited understanding about such disorders and so they weren't seen as something that needed professional medical treatment just like any other disease.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 500x270
>>14074262

It's not different than when Amuro was getting Bright-Slapped. In both scenarios it's to establish the fact that if you are a serving under military you are going to know if you are behavior is unacceptable. If you act like bitch, you gon' get treated like a bitch. It's as simple as that.

Why are you people even debating this?
>>
>>14072339
>persuaded

More like shamed, really.
Amuro's pride arguably did more to get him back into that cockpit for that sortie than his sense of ethics or morality.
>>
>>14074253
He only really gets 'correction' hits on three occasions:

-The one with Wong is a scene that's meant to be more a commentary on Wong than it is on Kamille - while Wong's reasoning isn't technically wrong, his lapsing to violence is a huge overreaction that is only really allowed because he's signing the AEUG's checks, and it's behavior we see him using around others with largely no pushback (barring when Bright gets fed up with his armchair captaining and tells him to either sit down and shut up or get off the bridge.)
-Emma smacks him in the wake of that scene because...well...Kamille was being irritatingly stubborn. The infamous 'I'm just an autistic kid' scene is basically him deciding to own the child labels to a huge degree to feel sorry for himself. Emma sees right through it and the slap is less a correction, more a 'well, if this is what it takes to get you to listen' move.
-The one time Bright hits him, it's to break up a fight on the bridge. Given at that point the fight is already rolling pretty hard...I'm willing to let Bright have this one. He's only one man and no one else was exactly running into to break things up.
>>
>>14074559
>The one with Wong is a scene that's meant to be more a commentary on Wong than it is on Kamille - while Wong's reasoning isn't technically wrong, his lapsing to violence is a huge overreaction that is only really allowed because he's signing the AEUG's checks, and it's behavior we see him using around others with largely no pushback (barring when Bright gets fed up with his armchair captaining and tells him to either sit down and shut up or get off the bridge.)

So would say it was the wong thing to do?
>>
Don't just blame Bright everyone else except Mirai were assholes to Amuro. Do any of you remember the refugees?
>>
>>14072514
How is a conscript, especially a forced, underage conscript at that, supposed to feel a sense of duty?
>>
>>14074866
Yep. I remember. Mistreating the only thing standing between you and certain death? It's a wonder he didn't try to leave before episode 16.
>>
File: 87565464754436656.gif (495 KB, 500x317) Image search: [Google]
87565464754436656.gif
495 KB, 500x317
>>14079661
>How is a conscript, especially a forced, underage conscript at that, supposed to feel a sense of duty?

Same way they've done it for literally thousands of years.
>>
File: autistic.png (2 MB, 1467x1078) Image search: [Google]
autistic.png
2 MB, 1467x1078
>>14074290
>>
>>14084366
>being unable to understand context
no anon you are the autist
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.