[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit, I had no idea there was so much shit in the Starship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10
File: StarshipTroopers(OVA).gif (132 KB, 418x592) Image search: [Google]
StarshipTroopers(OVA).gif
132 KB, 418x592
Holy shit, I had no idea there was so much shit in the Starship Troopers franchise besides the first movie.

Accepting that it's mostly D-grade direct-to-video garbage, is any of it insultingly bad?
>>
Bumping for interest, apparently it is more faithful to the novel than the movie was
>>
>>14062531

There's very little action in the OVA so don't expect anything on the level of the movies. It's more about a coming of age story about a kid who joined the military.
>>
>>14062570
That's pretty much how the book played out, though. I'm just happy there's at least one depiction where the MI have actual powered armor.

Is the CGI cartoon show any good?
>>
>>14062575
It's dated by today's standards, but I recall Roughnecks being really good.
>>
>>14062531
>D-grade direct-to-video garbage

Be careful what you say anon, people tend to like that kind of shit around here.
>>
>>14062575
>Is the CGI cartoon show any good?

I liked it.

And it also fulfills your power armor fetish.
>>
>>14062578

I liked Roughnecks. Too bad they never got to properly finish it.

Supposedly there's recorded audio for the final episodes. I only wish that somebody can license it and animate it for release. Maybe with better design.
>>
>>14062575
>Is the CGI cartoon show any good

It focuses on an angry, edgy federation-hating shitfucker for the first half until he's supplanted by Rico in the second half

It's like Destiny
>>
Woah, the animated series has the Skinnies? Looks perfectly watchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcfpzfPdx-U
>>
File: ptphai.jpg (27 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
ptphai.jpg
27 KB, 320x240
>>14062613
That's Invasion, not Roughnecks.

>>14062684
Colonel T'phai was a total bro.
>>
I've only read the book and watched the movie. Do any of the other adaptations portray Johnnie as being Filipino?
>>
>>14062531
Its not insultingly bad, just a fairly mediocre and dated OVA, but its got some decent power armor action at the end.
>>
File: white flip.png (273 KB, 491x633) Image search: [Google]
white flip.png
273 KB, 491x633
>>14063186
>Do any of the other adaptations portray Johnnie as being Filipino?

To be fair, none of the adaptations imply that Rico isn't Filipino.
>>
File: 1.44mb of feels.gif (3 MB, 287x191) Image search: [Google]
1.44mb of feels.gif
3 MB, 287x191
>next year will be the 20th anniversary of the film
>no new projects for the franchise have been announced
>>
There is a problem of serious financing in Sci-fi anime.
A right holder, i.e., Hayakawa Publishing, is a very small company.
They are also in an era funding was relatively easy, could not only be able to raise OVA production costs.
>>
Worked on this mobile game a few years ago... it's free now, so go to it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starship-troopers-invasion/id554052059?mt=8
>>
File: st104_rico_jenkins_00.jpg (44 KB, 640x473) Image search: [Google]
st104_rico_jenkins_00.jpg
44 KB, 640x473
>>14063186
Roughnecks Rico looked kinda foreign, at least.
>>
File: 1315971673210.jpg (98 KB, 464x498) Image search: [Google]
1315971673210.jpg
98 KB, 464x498
>I had no idea there was so much shit in the Starship Troopers franchise besides the first movie.
Newfags these days I tell you
>>
I've never seem the OVA, but I've always loved the mechanical design.

Roughnecks is good though. The CGI is really stiff, but it's got some really sharp writing and is appropriately grim.

Invasion at least has good-looking animation and mecha design.

The second live-action film is garbage. The third one's at least, uh, fun to watch. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.
>>
>>14066103
Who could hate the pop star Sky Marshall?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_6JWxoC9c
>>
>>14067866

No one does. Al good citizens love his music.
>>
>>14067866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxcFvk3w-s

Hell Yes
>>
>>14067866
What the fuck did I just watch.
>>
>>14067866
Now that's a recruitment ad.
>>
File: Roughnecks[1].jpg (41 KB, 365x500) Image search: [Google]
Roughnecks[1].jpg
41 KB, 365x500
>>14062531
I still to this day love Roughnecks, even if the CGI is a little dated. I can't believe they made such a good cartoon out of such a violent movie.

I also really liked Invasion.
>>
File: civilian.jpg (22 KB, 540x270) Image search: [Google]
civilian.jpg
22 KB, 540x270
>>14062531
>is any of it insultingly bad?

i didn't think so.

It was okay, in my opinion. There's only 6 episodes so total time investment is like two and a half hours so you can watch it in single sitting really wanted to. For reference, if you have sat through BvS in theatres, you can watch all the episodes of the OVA in the same amount of time.

Like the book there isn't a whole lot of big action sequences. There's one in the beginning and then one at the end with a couple smaller less spectacular ones in the middle. If you don't accept it as more of a what it really is (a philosophical/political coming of age story like the book) then you'll probably be bored. Conversely, don't expect an exact adaptation of the book nor should you ever.

In my opinion if you are a fan of the ST franchise I would include it on the must-watch list.
>>
>>14062531
The anime doesn't really cover Heinlein's politics, but it doesn't actively work against them like Verhoeven's movie did either.

It respects the original work, but shifts the focus to being more of a coming of age story for Rico than anything else. There are some nice mechanical designs that come up and the whole thing is presented in a generally soft and pleasing style that's a nice contrast to what you usually get with military science-fiction.

Rather than feeling like >>14067866 it goes for this https://youtu.be/D9KbZ9ZLSes
>>
File: SST.webm (971 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
SST.webm
971 KB, 640x480
I wish this anime had more scenes worth making webms out of.
>>
>>14076199
The suits look very cool in action, but IMO one of the worse aspects of the anime was the alien design. At least the bugs in the movie looked like freaky alien insects, but I can't imagine there are many opponents less intimidating than that pink cotton candy launching energy bolts.

Additionally, I start laughing uncontrollably every time I get to the last episode and that one guy is freaking out over trees and has to be reminded, "we're not environmentalists!"
>>
>>14076736
I love that scene.
>>
>>14076736
I always crack up at the scene where the one guy starts freaking out because he's killing other living things. Then as he reaches out to touch the injured ayy lmao, it allahu ackbars him.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.