[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys weren't kidding when you said Prince of Darkness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: CRAWLING.jpg (26 KB, 711x425) Image search: [Google]
CRAWLING.jpg
26 KB, 711x425
You guys weren't kidding when you said Prince of Darkness was terrible. It's even more grimderp than Pocketful of Rainbows.

>MC mech cries tears of oil

What the HELL were they thinking?
>>
>>14062387
Also,

>Ruri now wants to bone her stepfather

What the fuck?
>>
>>14062387
Really? All the problems with it, and you specify that one?
>>
>>14062399
My biggest problem, like everyone else's, was that the movie tried too hard to be "dark" and effectively ruined it. As well as all the character assassinations, like turning Akito into an edgier Char.

Sure, the original TV series had some really dark moments too, but it didn't overpower it.
>>
>>14062387

They were probably thinking it was part 1 of a planned trilogy and they'd have time to make what they wanted. Nadesico tv played things straight for a while before subverting them in a lot of cases and was probably planning on doing the same in the second and third film in this case too.
>>
>>14062423
Obligatory mentioning of the saturn game or whatever it was
>>
>>14062423
The problem with that was that the end of the 1st movie already wrapped everything up. Martian Successors were caught, evil eye guy was killed, Yurika was awakened, etc.

The only thing a sequel would have had was for Ruri to hunt down Akito.
>>
>>14062452

So what you're saying is a sequel would have had an over-arching story and the first film wrapped itself up like any good film should? Kay.
>>
>>14062387
>MC mech cries tears of oil

Wouldn't you, if you were stuck in PoD?
>>
PoD is also the reason why games with PoD in it often have Akito join super late.
>>
>>14062457
That statement would be true if the entire conflict of the first movie was wrapped up in a whopping 5 minutes
>>
>>14062473
wasn't, I mean
>>
File: nadesico-16.png (252 KB, 641x434) Image search: [Google]
nadesico-16.png
252 KB, 641x434
>>14062387
To be fair, Akito does get more and more edgy and hardboiled as the TV series goes by, mainly because of all the shit that happens to him and his friends during the war. The movie took it overboard by turning him into Batman, but had the build-up been more subtle and for a less silly reason it would have worked.
>>
>>14062397
She always had the hots for him back in the series, like that Peaceland episode. But she was only 11 at the time, so it would make sense for her to be more serious about him now that she's 16 or so.
>>
>>14062743
Apparently there a video game meant as the direct sequel to the TV series. The movie is a sequel to the game. The build up probably occurs in the game which nobody played.
>>
>>14062783
I know about the game. The reason Akito goes full edge was because the Jovians captured and experimented on him because of his Boson Jump abilities to the point of him going blind and losing his taste buds, and they took his wife away from him as well. But I've never liked that explanation because it would make ANYONE go full edge if they were in Akito's situation.

Something that would have worked more effectively would be if Akatsuki just gave Akito the Black Selena in the middle of the war (because he's the only one who could operate it) and he had to use it to wipe out and kill entire Jovian fleets singlehandedly while the Nadesico was undergoing repairs or something. That's the kind of thing that would push him over the edge into the kind of person he is in the movie, but a lot less contrived.
>>
>>14062825
>I don't like what they did, so let me just make up my own poorly done fanfiction
>>
>>14062839
>poorly done fanfiction

So just like the movie?
>>
>>14062387
I actually liked the oil tears. Akito was forced to become an emotionless edgelord, so his robot has to be the one to shed the tears that he himself can't. It was the one thing that actually fit the tone they were going for.
>>
>>14062883
Official poorly done fanfiction, yeah
>>
>>14062397
They revived the dead admiral who killed Gai, turned one of the named Jovian Gekigengar pilots into Lockon Stratos/Kruz Webber, gave the Jovian guy who killed Tsutomu space martial arts skills out of nowhere, and worst of all, dyed Ryoko's hair black.

Character consistency isn't the movie's strong point.
>>
>>14062931
>dyed Ryoko's hair black.
Actually, Ryoko's green hair is the dyed one. The dark hair is her natural color. You can see it in a flashback in the series as well.
>>
>assuming the TV series had anything over the movie
>>
The problem is the movie couldn't pick a story and tone and follow through with one.

You can do an Akito goes Dark story line, you can but you have to commit to an actual plot. The show was silly but never really shied away from the occasional dark twist or character death so you can make a darker nadesico story.

What happened was we got a seemingly dead yurika, Akito being mecha Frank Castle Batman and instead of getting us an actual story about how that happened and how the characters coped with it we got Ruri on summer vacation drawing manga for like 15 fucking minutes.

Either do a Ruri summer vacation movie or an Akito lost his way movie you can't combine them. Yes I know they wanted a trilogy but Star Wars still told a more or less complete story in the first film. Never bet on sequels you don't have yet.
>>
>>14062931
>They revived the dead admiral who killed Gai

That was actually his father.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJDpJf3BsI
>>
File: ruri_i_am_coming.jpg (71 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
ruri_i_am_coming.jpg
71 KB, 360x360
the black serena was awesome. its true reveal was even awesomer. ruri a shit.
>>
>>14062387
So the same way Nadesico was a parody of Gundam and Yamato, Prince of Darkness was a parody of End of Evangelion?
>>
>>14065110

No. It was just a shitty movie that but off more than it could
>>
>>14065177
Prince of Darkness or End of Eva?
>>
>>14065231

yes
>>
>>14065177

Fitting for the series, at least.
>>
>>14065110
The movie sucked cause it didn't parody anything, unlike the show.
>>
>>14062387
Play the interquel.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.