[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gundam F91
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 51Fl8E3vHQL._SX342_.jpg (38 KB, 342x436) Image search: [Google]
51Fl8E3vHQL._SX342_.jpg
38 KB, 342x436
I bought this a few years back and only got around to watching it tonight.

Holy fuck

It was awful.
>>
>>14060982
F91 is cool tough
>>
>>14060982
It was gonna be something bigger but they had to cram it down into a movie instead, obviously it suffered from this.
>>
It's a personal favorite of mine. Plot was average and it had serious pacing issues, but the god tier mobile suit designs and animation salvaged it for me. It was about as good as it could have been given the circumstances of it's creation.
>>
>>14060982
The supplemental reading material is unfortunately crucial to enjoying this movie, or making sense of the plot.
>>
>>14060982
quite like the beginning of the film where chaos starts
>>
>>14060982
OK the plot was a train wreck but that intro with the colony attack was great
>>
>>14061064
This was my thought. Liked the beginning a lot though. I'd like to see F91 remade as an OVA or actual series myself. It looks like it could've been interesting, but should not have been made as a 2 hour movie.
>>
>>14060982
You gotta watch it again, really benefits froma second watch becuase you brain isn't overloaded from the odd pacing. There's some really cool stuff in there, but it does have quite a few flaws. It would benefit a lot from a manga retelling.
>>
>>14060982
If F91 is "awful", then you must be truly spoiled.
Because F91 is a pretty awesome flick despite its flaws.
>>
>>14061120
>The supplemental reading material is unfortunately crucial to enjoying this movie

If you mean Crossbone, gonna have to disagree.
It does prettymuch fuck all to really fill in F-91 anymore. It offers a quick not-quite-handwave away of the entire conflict the movie established, and that more as a patch explanation for why the characters are in the roles Crossbone has them in rather than to provide closure from F-91.
>>
>>14063094
>crossbone
>supplemental
That's the sequel man.
The supplemental ones are F90 and sillhouette formula 91
You know, mars zeon, Deaf Stallion, the blue comet, Job John making a comeback.
>>
>>14064197
I thought you were referring to the Tomino F91 novels. I imagine that'd be an interesting look into what F91 could've been.
>>
>>14061120
I don't recall F90 filling in any details about the Crossbone Vanguard.
>>
File: 8eb67af1gw1e5xusvm9gzj21kw2ag1gy.jpg (313 KB, 1104x1600) Image search: [Google]
8eb67af1gw1e5xusvm9gzj21kw2ag1gy.jpg
313 KB, 1104x1600
>>
File: 6ER8iG6.jpg (332 KB, 1036x1500) Image search: [Google]
6ER8iG6.jpg
332 KB, 1036x1500
>>
What is the deal with on-again, off-again transforming mecha in UC?

Z: everything transforms
ZZ: everything transforms
CCA: nothing transforms*
F91: nothing transforms
V: suddenly, everything transforms again

* unless you count the Re-GZ, which is more a "dock with an external weapon platform" thing than a transformation
>>
>>14060982
It gets really good the 10th time you watch it.
>>
>>14065168

I have always wondered this. I just started Victory Gundam the other day. The transformations are painfully transparent as a selling gimmick (even for Gundam).
>>
>>14065168
>Z: everything transforms

Gotta go fast

>ZZ: everything transforms

MY GUN IS HUGE. RIP AND TEAR
>CCA: nothing transforms*

Zeon isn't really a thing. We're getting back to sanity

>F91: nothing transforms

We've got no money for new suits

>V: suddenly, everything transforms again

GOTTA GO FAST. IT'S OKAY WE HAVE 15 MORE LEGS WHERE THAT CAME FROM.
>>
>>14065387

Did you get to the part where they're using legs as weapons? That was pretty cool.
>>
>>14065387
The cynical part of my brain says this is it. The movies, being movies, didn't need toyetic gimmicks quite as much as the TV series did.

Although wasn't F91 planned as a TV series and then cut down to a movie?

But then F91 did have one transformer--the Guntank thing. Maybe if F91 had been produced as a series it would have ended up with more transforming MS.

>>14065400
Yeah, most of the "transformations" in Victory were one MS splitting into two vehicles. Maybe Zeta had transformers because Macross, and Victory had combiners because... ??? What /m/ shows with combining mecha were big when Victory was being made?
>>
>>14066397
The Brave Series was a newborn into the mecha market at that point (funnily enough, Might Gaine is also quite violent and started one month before Victory, then has a nod to Zeta in the final arc). Also, to a lesser extent, Eldoran's Raijin-Oh and Ganbaruger.
>>
>>14060982
It was way too Tomino. Like, G-Reco was pretty Tomino but F91 was like two or three times greater than that.
>>
>>14066397
Zeta was the 80s. Variable sweep fighters were the hot shit at the time, and it was the best way to increase performance of an MS through mechanical design. Cost went way the fuck up though, and they soon got better and smaller reactors and needed to completely rearm. Enter the GM III and Geara Doga.
>>
>>14066574
No doubt that the Macross Valkyrie was inspired by the F-14, but variable-sweep aircraft were more of a 1970s thing. The F-111, F-14 and MiG-23 all entered service in the 1970s. I guess the F-14 drew pop-culture attention in the early 80s because of the Iran/Iraq war and the Gulf of Sidra incident? Top Gun was released in 1986, which was well after Macross and Zeta...

Interesting sidenote: the F-111 was the original F-35--it was supposed to be One Fighter To Rule Them All that every American service would adopt. But Vietnam proved that big, fast but unmaneuverable missile boats (i.e. the F-4) were not the future of air combat, and the F-111 ended up only being purchased by the Air Force and only as a ground-attack aircraft.
>>
Forgetting the shitty movie pacing, it has some fabulous grunt action and one of the shittiest final fights in all of Gundam.
I don't know how I feel about it as a whole, but it was at least entertaining.
>>
>>14065402

I have yet to get to that part, it sounds amazing though

>>14066927

I completely forgot how underwhelming the final duel in F91 was until I read that... damn
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.