[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite Metroid game, /m/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15
File: 1376257709780.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1376257709780.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
What is your favorite Metroid game, /m/?
>>
>>14059273
Prime, no contest
>>
>>14059273
Every single one other than Other M and whatever new bullshit they are coming out with.

I have especially fond memories of Zero Mission and Fusion.
>>
>>14059273
I love how Other M is not on the list. Good on OP.
>>
Prime.

In fact, I'm so used to Prime and its suit that I didn't even realize that the Varia suit is supposed to be bright red on the chest and helmet since the Prime Varia suit goes much lighter on the red in those areas.
>>
Tie between Zero Mission and Prime 2.
>>
File: prime.jpg (54 KB, 644x362) Image search: [Google]
prime.jpg
54 KB, 644x362
Metroid Prime.

It's not just my favorite Metroid game, it's my favorite video game period. It's so immersive. Every time I play it, I feel like I'm right there on Tallon IV.
>>
File: 20100214233731!Fusion_Suit_art.jpg (42 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
20100214233731!Fusion_Suit_art.jpg
42 KB, 600x500
>>14059273

Fusion for me. Been playing it for almost 15 years on and off and it never feels less fun.
>>
>>14059273
>super metroid
>1999
I think I'll be boring and go with super for my favorite but i really like fusion and ZM as well. I wish I could get into the prime games but I just can't.
>>
File: hmm_gunbuster.jpg (65 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
hmm_gunbuster.jpg
65 KB, 350x350
>>14059537
>I wish I could get into the prime games but I just can't.

Funny you say that, because I was the opposite. I had Metroid 2 growing up, and never got into it, same with Super when I emulated it back in the day.

But when I gave the franchise another chance with Prime, that's when Metroid clicked for me and I went on to enjoy all the other games.

Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm 26, and was more an N64 kid than an SNES kid, so maybe the transition to 3D resonated more with me than people who grew up on it with the NES/SNES?
>>
>>14059678
I doubt it. I grew up on the PS1 and had no trouble with either the 2D or 3D games, though I'm not fond of Fusion or Other M.

Nice Noriko, btw, it's rare to see her with the superior yellow ribbon
>>
Alien: Isolation.

Ah but seriously, Zero Mission for the mix of accessibility meets crazy sequence breaking nonsense. Super is great but there's a sort of jank to its physics that I'm not the most fond of.
>>
File: 1379104849522.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2003) Image search: [Google]
1379104849522.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2003
>>14059273
Fusion? Zero Mission? Super?
I can't decide.
>>
>>14059273
Prime 1 and Fusion, more for personal nostalgia than anything else. Prime 2 I played a lot as a kid but I never beat it and I have a lot of mixed memories about it.
>>
Prime, somewhat easily.
>>
>>14059273
Prime 1. Still the best game I've ever played hands down period.
>>
>>14060222

That's quite the lofty claim there.
>>
>>14059537
>super metroid
>1999
that's 1994, sempai
>>
>>14060248

It really isn't, since he's not claiming it as best game ever, only the best he's ever played i.e the best he's played in his history and in his opinion. That's a tiny claim, as pretty much anything can be best by opinion without any issue.
>>
>>14060270
>as pretty much anything can be best by opinion without any issue

Now that's just plain wrong.
>>
>>14059273
Tie between Super Metroid and the Prime series.
>>
>>14060248
For me, it's only narrowly behind MGS3 and Okami. Metroid Prime has little in the ways of flaws and is a serious contender for best game ever made.

So tell me, senpai, what's your issue with it?
>>
Cant beat Super Metroid
All those Cozy winter childhood nights of me and my friend at his cabinlike home, isolated as fuck, progressing slowly through the game untol we finally defeated mother brain
shame he died of heroin years later, but thats what happens when you let yourself become a juggalo whoop whoop
>>
File: 1234242483896.jpg (955 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1234242483896.jpg
955 KB, 2560x1600
Super Metroid, no contest.
>>
Corruption
Followed by echoes
Echoes dark light concept really made me happy
>>
>>14060756
This.

Thread over.

Everyone go home.
>>
If there's one good thing Other M gave us, it's the Ferrocrusher. Even more /m/ than Quadraxis (although not as good).
>>
File: Ferrocrusher.jpg (25 KB, 406x360) Image search: [Google]
Ferrocrusher.jpg
25 KB, 406x360
>>14061805
>>
>>14060701
Sounds like /m/anly homolust to me
>>
>>14060368
Not him, but some areas are a bit tedious to backtrack through and the mandatory Relic Hunt is the same. Prime 2 had that part even worse, you had to scour two different worlds with only minimal visual differences and scant clues. 3 was the first one to get that part right by letting you get most of them at any point in the game when you first encountered them. Prime 3 also streamlined backtracking somewhat even if the areas and bosses weren't as good as the first two games. They're Metroid games though, backtracking is just something you put up with.Those are the only flaws that come to mind.
>>
File: tumblr_n604ru4fJI1r6skvso1_1280.jpg (175 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n604ru4fJI1r6skvso1_1280.jpg
175 KB, 618x800
>>14059273
Super Metroid

I bought a SNES just to play it, back in early high school, almost a decade ago just because of the hype surrounding it. I was not disappointed.
>>
File: 1373928755012.jpg (538 KB, 1587x2064) Image search: [Google]
1373928755012.jpg
538 KB, 1587x2064
>>14060756
>>
File: 1375933053945.jpg (198 KB, 900x1748) Image search: [Google]
1375933053945.jpg
198 KB, 900x1748
I wish I could beat the Omega Pirate from Prime 1. I've been trying for 12 years now...
>>
File: metroid fusion.jpg (307 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
metroid fusion.jpg
307 KB, 1280x720
Fusion. No fucking questions asked. It has the atmosphere and pacing ideal for a handheld title to keep me coming back to it time and time again!
>>
Prime, closely followed by Zero Mission.

I do love the shit out of Prime 3, but even I'll admit that it suffers from being overly linear and at times less immersive than some of the other games in the series.
>>
>>14061854
I found 2's backtrack quest to be a lot more tolerable.

Then again I found 2 to be infinitely easier to navigate. The world of Talon IV just fucks with my bearings as long as I keep the hint system disabled, to a point where I honestly feel Prime 1 took the whole "getting lost is part of the adventure" aspect of Metroid to the point it became unfun.

I am fucking sick and tired of listening to Phendrana Drifts as I run back and forth trying to make sense out of the goddamn world map looking for the one place I need to go to progress so I can finally find that god damn piece of shit plasma beam fucking christ just kill me now and release me from this never ending torture.

I get the hint system's there to alleviate this sort of shit but god damn it's just not fun trying to figure it out on your own if you easily forget OH WHEN YOU HAVE THE POWER BOMB FROM THIS END OF THE MAP DON'T FORGET TO GO AAAAAAAAALLLLLL THE WAY BACK TO THE OTHER.

ALSO ENJOY ANY UNDERWATER PART WITH THOSE ELECTRO-SHARK ARROWHEADS.

Maybe it's because Prime 2 actually follows a bit more of a structured pattern (wander the hub, go to the zone, collect the keys, get new ability, fight the boss, leave the zone and repeat) and is thus more intuitive an experience, but I enjoyed that one far more than Prime 1. At least I know I'm going somewhere forward instead of having to double back and figure out what fucking corner of the planet I forgot existed that I need to remember to progress.
>>
>>14061889
If it's any consolation, I feel he's the hardest boss in the game. I love Prime and replay it a lot and he'll still give me trouble from time to time.

The best advice I can give is keep your eyes on those troopers that he sends out. A lot of people will tell you to ignore them and focus on him, but I think those guys can rack up damage a lot quicker than he can. Other than that it's use missiles, missile combos, and weapons effectively and try not to get hit. Also, don't try to shoot him when he has his hand out, he'll just absorb your attacks.
>>
>>14061946
The hint system only tells you in what room something's in, not where in the room it is or how to get it or even how to get to the room if you haven't been there yet

This is part of where I think Prime 1 succeeds over the other 2: it has a lot more actual puzzles. The other games definitely had a few, but in Prime 1 it seems like every room makes you think in some way. And that's why I think using the hint system is still okay; there's plenty to figure out for yourself even with it active. I mean, it's basically a glorified Crazy Taxi arrow
>>
>>14061889
scrub
took me like 10 tries, worst part was having to cross over that phazon ravine over and over again
>>
>>14059296
>>14059459
>>14059537
>>14059712
>>14061897
>>14059769

Fuck you. I tried Zero mission now for 2 hours and it's shit. The controls are nowhere near Super Metroid. Shit, the responsiveness is worse than in Fusion, a game by the same dev on the same platform.
Friendly reminder to never trust /m/s opinion on anything
>>
I love the entire Prime Trilogy, Echoes is perhaps the weakest one but it has MOTHERFUCKING QUADRAXIS, best boss of the trilogy
Corruption felt like a weird, enjoyable alien movie to me
>>
>>14061946
>Maybe it's because Prime 2 actually follows a bit more of a structured pattern (wander the hub, go to the zone, collect the keys, get new ability, fight the boss, leave the zone and repeat) and is thus more intuitive an experience

Huh. I never thought about it like that, but you're right. And Metroid Prime 3 has the same concept, but divides it among planets to help cut back on the monotony.

If you think about it, Prime 2 & 3 are set up pretty similarly to how Metroid II was.
>>
Super Metroid but I'm an old fag with a nostalgia boner
>>
>>14062226
Interesting. Because I recall trying the demo for Super Metroid and abandoning it because of how clunky it seemed to handle.
>>
>>14062540
>trying the demo for Super Metroid
There's your problem right there! You didn't try the real game. Try it, even on an emulator you can feel the smooth moves. It is perfect, and handles even better
>>
>>14062589
>You didn't try the real game. Try it, even on an emulator

YOU CAN'T FOOL ME RIDLEY
>>
>>14062226

You really have to suck shit to be bad at Zero Mission.
>>
>>14062880
No, it's the game that sucks. I'm quite gud at Super(smooth) Metroid and Fusion. And as I have said, both games are more responsive to the controls and more fluid than ZM.
>>
>>14062898

Just because you somehow suck at a very simple game doesn't mean it sucks anon.
>>
>>14062911
I don't suck at it, I'm just saying that it's inferior to Fusion and Super. I've played most metroidvania games (and some, like, SotN, Super metroid are among the best games I've ever played, they are quirky and immersive, a qualit that ZM lacs for me, for now) dunno how I missed Zero Mission til now, and because I hold those games in high regard, of course if the jump is a couple of frames later, it's gonna suck. And now I'm ranting and raving like a lunatic, I don't even know what I was trying to say.
>>
>>14062939
>SOUL STEAL of the Night
>not jank

Super also moves like chuggy molasses. Needs a turbo rerelease.
>>
>>14062951
Super is responsive, fluid, and is perfect. Or maybe it's just me who has reached that level of UNDERSTANDING and move with an autopilot of sorts, something I lack with ZM. Thanks for the idea
>>
>>14062978
Nah man, Super is really sluggish.
It needs the Turbo Remix treatment.
>>
>>14062981
It doesn't feel sluggish at all to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I play it on a keyboard on ZSNES.
>>
>>14059273
Fusion, because I never had nintendo consoles as a kid and when I finally got a BGA and bought Fusion (It looked cool) I was blown away by it.

Played all the other metroids afterwards, but that game will always be the one that started it for me.

It helps that it was really good and that the atmosphere was intense. (encountering the SA-X with that frantic music as you run away.... damn)
>>
>>14062981
As a huge fan of both SM and MZM, i will say this:
Zero mission was incredibly tight. I felt like i was in TOTAL control of Samus and her fine movements. Add to that the really awesome power grip feature, and you were more mobile than ever.

Super is benefitted by having more buttons to work with, and i felt that wall jumps were a bit easier as well. It doesn't feel bad at all.
However, super is certainly a bit sluggish compared to MZM, that to me seems tough to deny, and the platforming is FAR more floaty.

That being said, they were both awesome games, each with different strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>14063018
I found wall jumps easiest in ZM due to how fast the game was. Even if you flub up once you can usually regain footing and scale walls jumping off of them repeatedly.

The only thing that peeved me off about ZM was, and it may sound weird to hear this, ballsparking. See, it turns out that while shinesparks are fucking amazing, the inevitable puzzle built around shinesparking is kinda frustrating esoteric bullshit, and ballsparks just serve to add to that fringe "you're never going to actually figure this out without a guide or some shinespark wunderkind with bushy sideburns" nonsense that cockblocks you from 100%.

This then turns to what I love most about ZM: the low percentage run. Who needs 100% when you can be a showoff and skip a bunch of things that you'd think are necessary at first glance? It's impressive the amount of stuff you can skip, I think 9% is the absolute minimum collection rate possible.
>>
File: vs-metroids-1280x720.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vs-metroids-1280x720.png
1 MB, 1280x720
What does /m/ think of AM2R?
>>
>>14062226
Zero Mission has the most responsive controls of any Metroid game to date, anon. I know it feels weird to play something less clunky than Super and less limited than Fusion, but that's a problem on your end, not an issue with the game.
>>
>>14063058
Yeah, 9% is the minimum. Morph ball, bombs power grip, ice beam, varia suit, the three "unknown" items (plasma beam, gravity suit, space jump), and one missile tank.
>>
File: 1373929230409.jpg (112 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1373929230409.jpg
112 KB, 1280x800
>>14062123
See, you're not telling me anything new. I've tried a handful of different approaches, and I just cannot seem to take down the Omega Pirate. I've taken out 50% of his health at most, that that's the best I can do.

I much prefer 2D Metroid anyway...
>>
File: 1379093992523.jpg (495 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1379093992523.jpg
495 KB, 1024x1024
>>14062226
Zero Mission has the most ideal controls of any 2D Metroid to date. It's a perfect balance of what worked well from Super and Fusion.

Pleb.
>>
>>14063801
why does it give you so much trouble? the worst part of the fight are the random elemental troopers that you must dispatch, that can get easily done after a few phases with a power bomb
the omega pirate itself can hit hard due to its cannons and can confuse you due to the visor switch, but that is all
furthermore, by the time you fight him you could have collected like 97% of the upgrades
>>
>>14063817
I have collected most of the upgrades. The controls for Prime are very hard for me to master. I never feel like I'm truly in control of Samus. I think if it had a mouse and keyboard like every FPS I've ever played, it would be significantly easier.
>>
>>14063864
You'd probably have an easier time with Prime 3, the Wii remote controls were not actually a hindrance for that one. Prime 1 and 2 are all about abusing the fuck out of the lock on, scanning enemies so you can get a better lock on, and you only go into free aim for missile lock or to fix Samus in place with the target lock so you can strafe.
>>
File: 1402934398292.jpg (213 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1402934398292.jpg
213 KB, 600x800
>>14059273
Super.
>>
>>14063864
Like >>14063886 said, you might be better off with the Wii controls.

Metroid Prime Trilogy updates the first two games with pointer controls, which actually is quite an improvement. I'd give that a try sometime and see if it doesn't feel more natural.
>>
I just beat Super Metroid, it was fun. I got the middle ending and 84% completion.

I just wish the controls were a bit less clunky, Space Jump and walljumping were finnicky as hell. I had to bind RT as Down+Right so I could actually do Shine Sparks reliably too, but that's probably because I played with a 360 controller and the D-Pad on that is garbage.
>>
>>14059273
Super and Prime 2

Super for just the overall flow of things, I often find myself just going back to it "just for a bit" and then dumping 3 hours into it only catching myself 3/4ths of the way through the game.

Prime 2 for having the best bosses in the franchise and being creative with power ups, I really liked how it wasn't just the same Chozo power-ups again. And yes while the Luminoth tech was different and uses ammo and was more or less reskins there was enough new stuff there to make it feel alien enough. Also Sanctuary Fortress is one of the favorite locations in the whole series.
>>
>>14065061
I actually think the ammo contributed towards a survival horror aspect that might also be a core reason for why I like Prime 2 the most.

Really there's a lot of cool shit about P2. It even took a crack at multiplayer and it's very interesting to see how it works in traditional Prime controls versus the dedicated arena shooter format that Hunters utilized.

On a side note I really wish they'd port Prime to 3ds/New3ds. Federation Force is cute in a jank looking way but I'm sure you could cram P1 or P2 onto at worst the New and people would throw money at it even with texture downgrades and all.

IMAGINE STEAM FILLED CORRIDORS IN STEREOSCOPIC 3D.
>>
>>14059273
Super Metroid > Prime and ZM > Prime 2 and Fusion > rest

Tried Prime 3 once but was quickly turned off by shitty cutscenes and motion gimmicks.
>>
Scanning the thread, it seems that we're getting to the point where boards aren't all the same age group anymore. So it turns into my nostalgia vs. yours by people with 10-15 years age difference between each other. So people who grew up with later Metroids vs. ones who grew up with the younger ones.
>>
>>14059273
>>14065061
Prime 2 is a yes for me as well. It's one of my favorite settings in the franchise, and...well, a bunch of anons already expounded on the other reasons I like it.
>>
>>14065632
While you are not wrong, I do think a lot of Metroid fans enjoy both 2D and Prime style of games. So if anything it's less "nostalgia vs. nostalgia" and more "2D gameplay vs. Prime gameplay".

I love the Prime series and my nostalgia for them is stronger than Super as I didn't have an SNES growing up, but I can see why people wouldn't like the Prime games. However, I do not see how anyone could hate the 2D Metroid games, specifically Super or Zero Mission. Those games are just really good games.

Basically if you don't like Prime, I understand. If you don't like Super or ZM, you just have shit taste.
>>
Okay, after playing ZM for another two hours, I still don't see it. Zebes still doesn' feel as good as in Super. And the controls still suck. Kraid (the boss) was laughable, while Kraid (the area) gave me a headache because I didn't realize on time that I had to go down in that one area, instead of going right... I just got the Vajra suit, btw.
Super still is better.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.