[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>People will seriously say that IBO had a better 25 ep run
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: 1456986840365.webm (2 MB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
1456986840365.webm
2 MB, 900x506
>People will seriously say that IBO had a better 25 ep run than G reco's run

C'mon guys, IBO is mediocre in literally every regard. At least G reco had competent to good animation.
>>
Crazy old man tried to make more crazy young kids. No thanks.
>>
>>14049778
G no Reconguista made me genki and happy.
IBO made me edgy and angry.

I'll have to rewatch Reco soon.
>>
>>14049814
IBO just put me to sleep mostly, I stopped watching after they joined the space Yakuza and then nothing continued to happen.
>>
>>14049791
found the retard
>>
>>14049778
Even if IBO is mediocre, G-Reco is complete dog shit so its really not hard to see why people would prefer IBO over G-Reco.
>>
>>14049778
WHERES YOUR FUCKING SEASON 2 FAGGOTS?
GET REKT RECTALS
>>
>>14049778
That bitch was crazy
>>
>>14049778
You can dislike IBO all you want but at least makes sense
>>
>>14050681
>but at least makes sense
Top fucking kek
>>
>>14049778
>25 ep run
lol IBO didn't get cancelled, it's going to have a full 50.
>>
>>14049778
Is that Anita Sarkeesian?
>>
>>14050681
>You can dislike IBO all you want but at least it was predictable enough for a toddler

FTFY
>>
>>14049829
It's a good ADD retard filter.
>>
>>14049778

They're both meh for different reasons. If you don't care about animation (and I don't), then the animation being better in G-Reco makes no odds.
>>
>>14049778
Sorry but not. IBO is mediocre but G-Reco is shit. Kuroda is still the only one who is able to write good Gundam stories, 00 S1 and GBF are the only good Gundams in years,
>>
>>14052862
Putting aside any opinions, maybe they can get Kuroda to replace Okada, since she'll be busy working on Kiznaiver.
>>
>>14052841
>Not caring about animation in a medium about animation

You're a special kind of retard
>>
File: gbf-tayang-streaming-gratis.jpg (103 KB, 700x408) Image search: [Google]
gbf-tayang-streaming-gratis.jpg
103 KB, 700x408
>>14052862
>Kuroda is still the only one who is able to write good Gundam stories
Top fucking kek
>>
>>14052994
Kuroda simply wrote in what Nagai asked him to. Even then Nagai didn't have a clear idea what he wanted and gave kuroda a hard time.
>>
>>14052841
>lol who cares about animation in anime
>lol who cares about gameplay in video games
>lol who cares about the language in literature
>lol who cares about the cinematography in cinema
>>
>>14053008
Those things are outdated and pointless. All that matters now is "feels", no matter how contrived the circumstances if you can make an EPIC moment that makes people have "feels" fans will fill in the blanks for your lackluster story and write walls of text on how "subtle the characterization is" or something else entirely nonsensical.
>>
>>14053004
>Kuroda did nuthin wrong
>>
>>14053008
Exactly, it's all about cheap cashgrab appeal now.
>>
>>14053008

Or I simply care more about character, story and setting than the quality of the animation in a cartoon. Same as I care about them more than the quality of effects in tv shows or movies and so on.
>>
>>14053023
>All that matters now is "feels"
Even with this, bad visuals (when it's clearly not a stylistic choice and it's clearly just rushed or cheap) can entirely break the mood. Like if there's a serious scene with McGillis revealing his betrayal to Gaelio and suddenly the Kimaris is all "derped" up and QUALITY; I just can't take it seriously anymore. My thought process went "Oh shit, poor GaliGali... man look at his expressions, he's really getting hit hard- Oh my fucking god are you serious, they couldn't even put in some effort for this?"
>>
>>14053193
>character, story and setting
And IBO was shit in these areas too.
>>
>>14053198

I didn't say it wasn't. Only that I thought both shows were meh, not just IBO, and that good animation didn't make that not the case for G-Reco.
>>
File: 1392922592127.jpg (99 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1392922592127.jpg
99 KB, 960x720
>>14052862
>>00 S1 and GBF are the only good Gundams in years,
>>
>>14052994
>>14053004
>>14053114
Guy's cursed. He hasn't yet gotten to work on a Gundam S2 that hasn't been messed by the execs in some fashion. At this point he may as well not bother and just go back to adapting romantic comedies and harems.
>>
>>14052733
> Sexy, check
> Sultry, check
> Peoples champion for social reform, check
So yes, yes she is.
>>
>>14049778
I just want to forget both as fast as possible.
>>
>>14054772
this

Shame we have to sit though a S2 of IBO. We know how those always go.
>>
>>14054300
I liked age a lot more than 00.
>>
>>14059605
>tf if S2 somehow manages to be even worse
Wouldn't hurt to pre-emptively abandon ship, if the need arises.
>>
>>14059974
>>14059605
Since sales were SO mediocre (I mean, barely presentable), even if S2 is technically planned and allotted in the budget, it will probably have horrible hits to its production values if Bandai/Sunrise's execs try to recoup some perceived losses.
>>
>>14060021

It's already outselling AGE along with Build Fighters and Try together. It could outsell G-Reco too, though that'll depend on future sales. Either way, it's doing better than most of their last few series. So the sales aren't that bad comparatively, and could be worse. I'm not sure the show can have more budget taken anyways given the level of animation it already has. It probably already has a smaller budget regardless, because second seasons always do.
>>
>>14060141
>outselling AGE
That's not exactly an accomplishment.

How have the kit sales been doing? I assume the Grazes are popular at least since there's a billion fucking variants of them already.
>>
>>14060141
>Either way, it's doing better than most of their last few series.

As people have pointed out, that's all relative.
It's doing better than those shows, but those shows also didn't have anywhere near the same level of expectations pinned on them that they apparently have in mind for IBO.

Hence why, despite not selling gangbusters, GBF and G-Reco are still considered successes.
>>
>>14060217

Except one of them was AGE, which had the roughly the same level of expectation and far worse sales. They barely messed with AGE despite flagging sakes though, despite having the chance (cutting Gen 2 short is the only one we know of), so they're unlikely to pull much budget from IBO.
>>
>>14060220
AGE actually had much higher expectations. Their losses seriously damaged Bandai and forced them to restructure a few things.
>>
>>14060021
>it will probably have horrible hits to its production values
>production values
They really don't have much lower they could go on that without reaching original Macross territory.
>>
File: age gunpla sales projection.jpg (215 KB, 1037x775) Image search: [Google]
age gunpla sales projection.jpg
215 KB, 1037x775
>>14060226
I know expectations were high, but what damages were there and what did they have to change?
>>
>>14060228
How was IBO so quality heavy? Aren't Gundam series supposed to be relatively high budget?
>>
>>14060247
no, we can pick out horribly drawn scenes from most of them
>>
>>14060247
>Gundam
>High budget
Nope. IBO's animation is oddly stiff despite not even having to animate a fight every episode though, plus some assorted quality.
>>
>>14060231
I forget, honestly. I think it was just the "wait 2 years => pump out 52 episodes with higher expectations than the last" formula but don't quote me because I'm pulling that out of my ass. It was not major but it did change something about how they went about their next projects. In any case their profits are now back above AGE levels so they could have totally reverted those changes.
>>
>>14060255
Relaxed/Not autist enough animation director.
G-Reco had almost the same budget per episode but due to having seasoned directors looked much much better, plus Tomino breathing down their neck like ye olde angry directors, probably yelling at any little mistake.
>>
>>14060261
Oh, and damage was purely financial. The Advanced Grade line and accompanying video game(s?) flopped harder than the show to top it all off. High risk/high reward ventures end up as failures sometimes, but it shows much more when the company completely relies on those plastic sales.
>>
>>14060273
The HG AGE models are pretty nice though.
>>
>>14053023
You... do realize that said "feels" are the end product of all the elements that go into making a multimedia project, right? The more cohesively and effectively elements work together to express a feeling determines how well it is felt by it's audience. Saying that "feels" can be produced without correct use animation, soundtrack, voice work, visual design, etc. is like saying that your shit can be produced without a digestive system.
>>
I think we're missing the point of this thread.

Was G reco truly THAT bad? I know it's not rated very highly around here or much anywhere else, but can we at least agree that it had some ambition, which is something we haven't seen in a TV gundam since 00.
>>
>>14060302
G Reco was a victim of a concentrated effort to create a nonstop tornado of shitposting.

It had pacing issues but otherwise I liked it.
>>
>>14049778
That is so fucking dumb

That, and Cumpa's death and Klim's patricide and Mask's ranting and Manny's betrayal
>>
>>14060302
I think G. Reco gets a bad rap. Was it an effective television show? No. Was it a good series? I'd say so. I didn't get it at all the first time I watched, but I went back and watched again, and with the extra comprehension that provided, I understood it a lot better and really enjoyed the narrative. But, it's breakneck pacing and compressed story definitely didn't do it any favors for the average viewer.
>>
>>14060279
As long as the designs themselves are decent, yes. Too bad AGE did poorly enough to scare Bandai into never reprinting them or something because I can't get my hands on a few of them for the life of me.
>>
>>14060310
This, /m/ mostly enjoyed G-Reco. Incredible levels of shitposting drowned out any actual complaints people could have and polarized the board into highly defensive or fervently attacking posters. If you weren't there then it's kind of hard to explain.

Still, it's far, far from the worst this board has dealt with.
>>
>>14060021
The DVD/BD numbers are still good by the standards of most anime. What a lot of people forget was that SEED, 00 and Code Geass were mega-hits and not the average for what the franchise sells. IBO's numbers in those regard are average and still beating out the likes of AZ, Cross Ange, Fafner, etc.

Ratings though are absolute dogshit.

But this is Gundam, where most of the money comes from model kit sales. While the IBO line does have some stinkers that have received discounts, they also have kits that sell pretty damn well like Barbatos, Graze and Graze Ritter. It's hard to say exactly how well the line is doing though, or what it's expectations were.

I'm going to guess that overall, the reception to IBO in Japan is much more lukewarm than Banrise were initially hoping. After all, this is the show they announced a dub for before the second episode. Good is not good enough given the amount of promotion it's getting, and the execs are no doubt trying to retool the show as we speak so it will do better domestically. After all, they're changing animation directors for the upcoming season.
>>
>>14060302

> ambition

That's a very vague term, and can pretty much be applied to any show if you want. It's like saying something had 'heart'. You might as well just say you liked it really.

AGE wanted to tell a 100 year story of 3 Generations in one show. It wanted to launch a multimedia empire with games, manga, anime, a new gunpla line, arcade machines etc within the Gundam franchise. It had huge sales projections. Ambition was not something it lacked.
>>
>>14053203
To be honest I enjoyed G Reco beam spam tho so no. G Reco > IBO
>>
>>14060261
If only they've included AGE in GBF...
>>
>>14060302
G Reco is a general clusterfuck.
>>
I only saw 2 episodes of G-reco and was soundly disappointed. It was confusing to follow and I had to watch those 2 episodes 2-3 times each to get whats going on.

It feels like 50 episode show that got cut in half and is missing a bunch of scenes.

IBO while mediocre is never confusing or shoves you out of your immersion state with weird directing choices.
>>
>>14060141
G-Reco and Build Fighters Try had terrible model kit sales because they were canabalizing each other being around at the exact same time.
>>
>>14053008
Found the graphics whore. Animation is to anime what graphics are to vidya. Story, characters, gameplay and well, the excitement of watching a story, are the real important things. Now fuck off back to /v/ you dumb shit
>>
>>14060719
Try had the endboss MA in it, apparently solely to get rekt.
>>
>>14060949
Not that anon, but what is the point of an anime without animation? Anime is a visual medium that exist to tell a story or convey an idea visually. Why do you think artists are more required in such field rather than writers? If people are in it simply for the story, why not read a goddamn book? Of course it needs a story to make it interesting, but the visuals are there for the audience to experience those moments in motion. The name itself says it all, Animation.

This ain't vidya game man, it's a toy commercial. You expect them to sell toys with a wall of text instead of showing robots fighting beating the shit out of each other or something?
>>
>>14061231
Ignore his retarded false equivalency, he is an idiot
>>
File: 1317762184458.jpg (132 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1317762184458.jpg
132 KB, 640x480
>>14049778
Who /liked both/ here
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.