[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /m/ quick question about the current Gundam releases. Are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Hey /m/ quick question about the current Gundam releases.

Are the blurays a substantial upgrade from the DVDs or can you barely tell the difference?
>>
>>14036127
>which gundam
>which blu-ray
>>
>>14036148
The 0079 and Zeta DVD and Blurays. The current ones
>>
>>14036127
Short answer: They're all generally better than the DVDs, arguably minus Seed.

>0079, Zeta, ZZ
All pretty good, maybe a tad blurry. It could be argued that the blu-ray lets you see too many film defects in 0079. The colors feel weird in Zeta and ZZ but I might be crazy.

>CCA, F91
I thought they looked good but I see a lot of negative thoughts on them. They both had two separate BD releases, maybe the ones I watched were fixed or something.

>Victory
Pretty good, maybe a bit too sharp. The switch from 35mm to 16mm is noticeable and jarring. EG's rip tries to fix both those problems.

>Stardust Memory
Good quality, but color corrected by a blind man.

>Turn A
Probably the best looking BD out of the old shows. Arguably slightly too sharp again, but EG tried to fix that.

>Seed/Destiny
New footage looks fine, old footage looks like the inside of my asshole.

>Anything else
It's new and digital and will look fine until 4K or higher becomes standard.

I haven't seen Wing.
>>
>>14036127
If you're strictly comparing to Bandai Ent's old DVDs? Yes, absolutely. In 0079's case, the BDs technically come from the same master, and are DNR'd compared to the DVDs, but they still look sharper and more detailed overall.

In Zeta's case, they're completely different masters, as the R1 DVDs are based on the older early 2000s R2 masters, while the US BD is based on the same 2008 master as the JP BD. Of course, the US BD changes the music, but you get the same quality for the most part. As for the encoding, 0079's is acceptable, but it could be better. I haven't seen Zeta's.
>>
>>14036215
Actually Im talking about the new DVDs that use the same cover art as the blurays. I can't find any reviews on them.
>>
>>14036277
Oh.

Well, depending on how many episodes they squeezed on the discs, I wouldn't expect much of them. DVD encoding has really fallen by the way side over the years, as people cram far too many episodes on as few discs as possible.
>>
>>14036284
Zeta collection 1 has 5 discs as opposed to the bluray 3 discs
>>
>>14036304
So five per disc then? That's actually pretty good, and matches the old R1s. Assuming the encoding was solid, they should hold up pretty well, but the BDs *will* be an upgrade. Personally, I find the price difference to be small enough that you should get the BDs anyway.
>>
>>14036127
Both the 0079 and Zeta Blurays are superior to anything Bandai put out in R1 land.

Zeta is split across 6 discs and IMO fairs better. 0079 has more detail, but the flaws of late 70s cheap animation becomes even more apparent.

Zeta also has the corrected subs. So if you hate the dubtitles of the original premium box, then it's a HUGE upgrade. (the dubtitles were painfully bad in some areas)
>>
>>14036127
whens GReco bluray coming state side?
>>
0083 and CCA English blu Rays when???????
>>
Is a blu-ray for 0080?
>>
>>14036502
Is there*
>>
>>14036463
After you kill yourself as a blood offering to Tomino.
>>
>>14036512
No.

That, X and G are all that's left, I think.
>>
>>14036529
Wing had a BD release, I'm betting we'll get it too.

We'll probably also get the remasters of SEED and Destiny
>>
>>14036472
IMO CCA is probably next after they finish putting out ZZ.

I'm expecting it around fall. Maybe F91 as well.
>>
Not OP but are they planning to re-release the Zeta blurays? I hear they use they same sound track for the OP from the DVDs which is pretty strange to me.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.