[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else noticed how this series is pretty much the opposite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
Anyone else noticed how this series is pretty much the opposite of 00 in terms of themes?

In 00 the cycle of revenge ends when characters come to a mutual understanding, while in IBO everyone is apeshit and bloodlusted and nobody wants to stop.

I think 00 would have been better if characters like Louise went full Ein instead of coming back to their sense thanks to magical pixie dust
>>
I'm sure people in IBO would also understand eachother if there was a gundam dispersing magic cocaine.
>>
Okada is a liberal bitch that is why she is showing that men are evil.
>>
>>14035820
instead exposure to IBO's ahab waves causes aggresive autism
>>
>>14035820
How much magic cocaine would it take to calm Ein down?

Also do you think Ein could sympathize with Mika.
>>
>>14035836
So they´re functionally identical to the Aldnoah engines?
>>
>>14035836
So does visiting certain parts of 4chan
>>
>>14035842
No those caused retardation in proximity to eggs.
>>
>>14035800
There's themes in IBO?
>>
File: 70147.jpg (40 KB, 225x330) Image search: [Google]
70147.jpg
40 KB, 225x330
>>14035831
>why she is showing that men are evil

No, Okada thinks everyone is evil.
>>
>>14035839
>How much magic cocaine would it take to calm Ein down?
Giving a beating to the face is all it would take with magic space dust. Just ask Setsuna and Lockon 2.0.

>Also do you think Ein could sympathize with Mika
Nah.
>>
>>14035800
I think 00 would have been better if characters like Louise didn't exist at all.

FTFY
>>
File: m3.jpg (115 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
m3.jpg
115 KB, 300x420
>>14035852
Except when she doesn't.
>>
>>14035849
Family something.
>>
>>14035800
There's nothing like that at all. In IBO there is zero overarching theme so far, in 00's first season you have terrorism being used to unify the world.

There's nothing like that at all with the Tekkadan/Teiwaz vs Celestial Being.

>>14035861
Louise was fine.
>>
>>14035862
I'm pretty sure Junichi Sato was the only person to straight-up hold a tight leash on her.
>>
>>14035869
Louise is shit
>>
>>14035869
>In IBO there is zero overarching theme so far

revenge
>>
>>14035869
>in 00's first season you have terrorism being used to unify the world.
That was the plot.
>>
>>14035886
>Louise is shit

Elaborate. Why don't you like her?
>>
>>14035869
Louise was fuck awful and a bottomless pit of overblown drama.
>>
>>14035900
>>14035886
Fuck off Nenafag
>>
>>14035907
Nena did nothing wrong. She was victim of circumstances and born that way, never had chances to have a normal life
>>
>>14035915
Fuck off Nenafag
>>
>>14035915

So what sufficiently victimized her into blowing up a crowd of civilians for fun?
>>
>>14035907
>Nena
Was barely better.
>>
>>14035889
Also pride and the ends not justifying the means.
>>
>>14035893
She's a psycho bitch, and a druggie.
Nena already filled the psycho bitch quota, plus Nena was cute, unlike Louise.
>>
>>14035869
Revenge/using violent means to escape bad situations is clearly the theme of IBO, anon.
00 in particular, is about how if you could link humanity with esp-bestowing-robot-exaust, they'd understand why others are fighting so hard and not want to fight to the death.
>>
>>14035836
I genuinely think there's something about multiple AV whiskers and mika and guts lack of personality
>>
>>14035956
There was zero understanding thematic in 00 S1.

>>14035927
No she wasn't.
>>
>>14035949
>Nena was cute
No she wasn't. She was an annoying whore who with a mere whim wiped out Louise's extended family and murdered hundreds of people.

She's not remotely sympathetic or cute at all.
>>
>>14035982
I didn't mention S1 in particular and neither did OP. Season 1 didn't have particularly strong themes beyond humanity needing an enemy to join together.
>>
>>14036000
>beyond humanity needing an enemy to join together
The closet approximation to that is Celestial Being organization being specifically created to be a scapegoat and intentional martyr by Aeolia to force the world to come together to destroy them.

But that even that is tenuous.
>>
>>14035993
Let me reiterate, Nena was HOT and she had those cute freckles. I wasn't talking about her personality.
>>
>>14036009
Well, basically.
As much as people here prefer to S1 to S2, the former really isn't much of substance without the latter. It was cool to look at, but that was about it.
>>
>>14035889
Family and what happens when you fuck with people's family, actually. Revenge is just a consequence.
>>
>>14036045
>Family
>any of this is even close to a defensive familial reaction.
Only if you're in the fucking mafia. Which Tekkadan are.
>>
Aren't they trying to show that Tekkadan's ridiculous bloodlust is a bad thing?

Except the only person who thinks so is a woman who's in a fucking space mafia and everyone ignores her except for the old black dude, who agrees with her but says "what can you do, oh well."
>>
>>14036066
Family means different things to different people.

Look at how unhinged Ein is over Crank.
Or how Gaelio took Carta's death.

Looks like the fastest trip off the deep end is to lose someone important to you.
>>
>>14036016
Nena isn't hot. She's just ashes m8.

>>14036021
That's true, but I'm also part of the minority that liked S2.
>>
You can bet that if there is a S2 all the characters will preach UNDERSTANDING like there is no tomorrow
>>
File: 1397284707087.jpg (95 KB, 529x527) Image search: [Google]
1397284707087.jpg
95 KB, 529x527
>>14036016
>Nena was HOT and she had those cute freckles
Diamond.
>>
>>14036101
Neither of those examples are family. You could broaden it to avenging bonds between people, but then I'm not sure why revenge isn't a suitable summary of the themes.
>>14036102
Me too actually. Season 2, while having more BS, had some really fun mech designs and campy Mr.Bushido.
>>
Nena made me more angry at fictional characters than almost anyone else in a Gundam series. No one even comes close.

What a fucking cunt.
>>
>>14036124
I think Nena could've been really, really interested in S2, but where they went with her was so very boring. When I see her, all I feel is numbness.
>>
File: Ydp9rTB.png (131 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Ydp9rTB.png
131 KB, 640x360
>>14036124
>>
>>14036124
She made me hard like no other gundam character before her, and only Sei's mom is hotter than her. And Neil, but that doesn't count. And Laura. And Titeria... Fug
>>
>>14036116
The bonds -are- family.
>>
>>14035831
>Okada is a liberal bitch that is why she is showing that men are evil.

So she's the opposite of V-Gundam Tomino ? Lol.
>>
>>14035800

>implying there won't be understanding if 2nd season manages to become a thing
>>
>>14036152
Regardless, the theme is avenging = revenge, not family. The 'family' serves only as catalyst for the majority of the cast, but almost all of the cast are motivated by revenge at this point.
>>
>>14035852
>>14035862
Actually, it feels like Okada knows people can be shit, but still wants to believe in happy endings anyway. It's why they never seem to fit quite right, because she still hasn't managed to convince herself that they're possible.
>>
>>14035852
>>14035862
>>14036183
>implying Okada thinks anything else other than what producers told her to think
>>
>>14035993
>She was an annoying whore who with a mere whim wiped out Louise's extended family and murdered hundreds of people.
It's a really shoe-horned and hamfisted way to take an otherwise light-hearted character and make them DEEP and DARK and give that limp-wristed wet blanket of a boyfriend of hers a reason to be in the show.

But I guess it's better than having her get raped by Ali for no other reason than to make her DEEP and DARK and give that limp-wristed wet blanket of a boyfriend of hers a reason to be in the show.
>>
>>14036075
You know how they could show that their bloodlust is actually bad? Have Tekkadan pick a fight with someone who can actually fight back and won't get steam-rolled by Mika.
>>
>>14036135
Because she wasn't allowed to fucking do anything until the end when Ribbons manipulated an incredibly unhinged Louise into killing her. Dying was the only thing Nena was allowed to do in S2 and even if she was allowed to do something besides die how would she not be redundant with Ali and the Innovades practically all doing the same thing?
>>
>>14036264

How is that showing their bloodlust is bad and not just giving them a fair fight?
>>
>>14036290
Yeah, I don't know. I just want to see Mika get his ass kicked.
>>
>>14036254
> give that limp-wristed wet blanket of a boyfriend of hers a reason to be in the show.
It was much better when they represented an "ordinary human" point of view. First season's cast wasn't filled with only weapon-wielding demigods, it was great. But whaddaya know, S2 and ordinary people became weapon-wielding demigods too. I HATED it.
>>
>>14036295

Well, it's always sensible to want protagonists to face and overcome challenges.

It's pretty clear that the fiasco with Carta was the scene that was supposed to underscore how their bloodlust and desire for revenge is inherently wrong, but the initiation on Carta's part is so monumentally stupid and the characters themselves waffle so greatly that it loses impact.
>>
>>14036297
I wonder if Andrei had a different partner if he still would have been an utterly insane fucking retard piece of shit.

I'm sure his unnecessary and unrequited crush on Louise wasn't helping his brain-soup much.
>>
>>14036308
>Andrei
Don't even remind me.
>>
>>14035800
>nobody wants to stop.
There still an entire episode left for Kudelia to go full SUGOI.
>>
>>14036254
>shoe-horned
Not seeing how it was shoe-horned that a traumatized teenaged girl has her life drastically changed from a crazy bitch blowing up her entire family and taking her hand over the time skip.
>hamfisted
You're miss using this term.
>light-hearted character
Louise and Saji were light-hearted characters until personal tragedy hit them.
>DEEP and DARK
You are simplifying things grossly to make a mile out of an inch with exaggeration and hyperbole.
>Saji
>a reason to be in the show
I don't think you paid attention at all to season 1 in the first place.
>>
>>14036318
Season 2 is real. No amount of SUGOI will be enough to wrap up this mess.
>>
>>14036297

I like that they gave the show an unaffiliated civilian perspective, at their worst they ate up screentime being filler at their best they gave that relatable, human view. At least in S1, S2 no thanks.
>>
File: tumblr_nc9tzm3mMT1rjoh3qo1_500.png (163 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nc9tzm3mMT1rjoh3qo1_500.png
163 KB, 500x282
>>14036315
>>
>>14035800
That shit looks like Raven from Front Mission does it not? I mean, the art and the story of Ein/Driscool
>>
File: 1446395937291.png (570 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446395937291.png
570 KB, 1280x720
>>14036137
Eh, the biggest asshole in IBO is Chocolate Man, but everyone seems to love that backstabbing son of a gun.
>>
>>14036116
On retrospect on thinking about it, I really like how the revenge theme was kept consistent through him, and Setsuna only realized this once he defeated him and Graham was screaming at him to take his kill. One by one, almost all of Graham's friends and mentors were killed by people flying under the Celestial Being banner for simply doing their duty as pilots/scientists, leaving only Graham and his hatred left.

By the time of season 2 all he cared about was defeating Setsuna at his prime to avenge his friends, or dying in battle against him. Setsuna challenging him to live instead after going through UNDERSTANDING was one of my favorite moments.
>>
Yeah. 00's theme was being fun while IBO's theme was being boring and shitty.
>>
>>14037219
IBO makes it easy to like characters that you wouldn't like in other (better) shows because, even if they're one dimentional and a just a show gimmick like Carta, if they have personality and flare, they stand out from the grey amalgam of boring shite that consitutes the rest of the cast. McGillis has a plan that we don't know and is willing to be a monster to see it through, Gaelio has seen things go to shit all around him, Ein is a crazy fucking robocop, and Carta was a female character who, despite being a naive idiot in combat, wasn't a dormouse and was pretty fun to have on screen until she suffered death by female character in mobile suit syndrome. Hell fucking Orlis Stenja had more personality than most of Tekkedan.
>>
>>14036101
unrequited love is family?
>>
>>14036254

My main problem with Saiji and Louise is that there was no reason for them to be in the show or even to be important. Nothing would have been lost if they didn't show up. You could drop all plot points related to them, and nothing about the script would change significantly.

Like, does anyone really care about Louise and Saiji? I know I didn't.
>>
>>14038221

Increasingly, I kind of want Gundam to have endings where everyone is scarred forever by the horrors of war, or is just generally beat down and fucked up.

A lot of the time, you don't get any deaths amongst the important characters. Here, I'm kind of glad a lot of the kids died.
>>
>>14038824

'A lot' died and it's still people we don't know or care about.

Hell, they're probably fine with it as long as their deaths allow their buddies to get somewhere.
>>
>>14038822
Amen. Saji's sister was kinda important in s1, discovering about the Aeolia plan, even if it was just scratching the surface, and Laguna/Ragna/whatever connection. She was one of only two people in the whole world who got it together
>>
>>14038830

Yeah, but she died without accomplishing anything. That should have been the end of it, because Saiji and Louise no longer have any link to the story.

It's like a victim of a terrorist bombing gets recruited to join Seal Team Six, in the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. That's stretching it.
>>
>>14035915

Literally SJW logic. She a good girl who dindu nothing, right?
>>
>>14038822
Saji's purpose was to demonstrate the civilian side of the war, as well as the hypocrisy of the unaffiliated masses who thinks "it's not my problem, why should I care". It's people like him who allow their government to commit atrocities.
His character and Louise fulfilled a very important role in the commentary on war.

All your statement amounts to, is that you didn't want them involved because you say so.

S2 Saji would vote for Hillary
>>
>>14039273
whoops, meant S1 Saji.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.