[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Gundam fatigue a real thing? How bad did it get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: thatsashittonofplastic.jpg (164 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
thatsashittonofplastic.jpg
164 KB, 720x960
I dip in and out of anime and decided to dip back into mecha with IBO. Don't really want to make this another thread about IBO so we'll put that aside for the moment. I noticed when I went looking for something else that there is basically a SHITLOAD of Gundam stuff out right now across all TV and manga, then someone else here mentioned Gundam fatigue.

Was it a real thing? How did it come about? How bad did it get? People say G-reco and IBO ratings are at like 2% which sounds pretty fucking terrible (I know nothing about Japanese audience share), were things in the past even worse?
>>
>>14032399
Apparently people got fatigued with Gundam in the 90s. I would be willing to believe that. I mean you had Victory, Wing, G, and X
That's not even getting into all of the OVAs from that time
>>
>>14032399
1979 - First Gundam is badly rated and cut around 7 episodes short

1980 - Opinion changes with the release of the compilation movies, becomes huge hit

1985-91 - They convince Tomino to make more Gundam. Now Gundam going REALLY strong

1991 - Gundam still going strong, but F91 gets 90% of its content cut, possible fatigue of Tomino or the audience

1993 - Tomino does Victory Gundam, which he now sees as a huge failure. He stops directing Gundam for a while.

1993-96 - Gundam is now becoming mediocre compared to previous series, and by the time X comes out, it is cut 11 eps short due to heavy fatigue.

1996-99 - Return to the quality of early 90's Gundam, Tomino does Turn A in 1999, only to stop again until G-reco

2000-present - More innundation of mediocre Gundam with some gems in there. Currently I'd say a heavy heavy fatigue is setting in, and Tomino will most likely never work on Gundam again
>>
>>14032399

I think franchise fatigue is a real thing and the Gundam franchise is not immune to it especially since BN has an insatiable need to push plastic making each new show a glorified toy commercial. This leads to each entry being the same old rehashed plot that we've seen several times already.
>>
>>14032452
>Tomino will most likely never work on Gundam again
already debunked by the G-Reco movie
>>
>>14032399
Best way to refresh yourself of Gundam fatigue is to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. So many similar tropes, but handled so very differently
>>
Consider this. Gundam X aired at the same time with Carranger, the last Sentai before the franchise moved to Sunday mornings. Not to mention, the were airing back-to-back.

Maybe that played a part in the so-called Gundam fatigue? Sentai recovered by switching timeslots, whereas Gundam recovered when it changed stations and snagged an even better timeslot for Gundam SEED.
>>
>>14032466

OP here. I keep meaning to get around to this one since it seems like every forum on the planet says 'watch it' but it seems like such a huge time investment. Summer when exams are over and done seems as good a time as any though.

I'm looking at the BakaBT releases and there's the massive 44GB torrent which i assume is the series. Where do the other movies/OVAs fit into the watch-order?
>>
>>14032487
The time investment is just a mental thing. Just watch the first movie (only 1 hour long, and one of the best sections of the entire franchise)

After that you can just stop, but more likely will want to continue with the huge OVA
>>
>>14032478
Another thing I think might have been a factor was Gundam X airing right after Evangelion ended. You know, the show people were going on about "reinventing/deconstructing" the mecha genre? Gundam X might have been seen as old-fashioned when it came out.

Not to mention Japan had suffered from the Aum Shinrikyo's gas attack just the year before. Maybe it hit a little too close to home?
>>
File: 1430942237245.png (26 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1430942237245.png
26 KB, 1000x1000
>>14032487
You have no time limit. You do not have cancer. There is no deadline. Just watch the fucking anime and be done when you're done.
>>
>>14032531
Also the OVA should be watched in production order with everything else.
>>
>>14032531

He might actually have cancer
>>
Nah, Gundam just need greater memes.
>>
>>14032452
>only to stop again until G-reco

Not entirely true. He just never worked on a new gundam anime series until G-Reco.
>>
I'd say we are pretty close to fatigue again.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another multi year break before anymore got a green light.

Good chance we'll get another full UC series though. Bandai hasn't done one fully since Victory and the Unicorn TV version has to be testing the waters.
>>
>>14032698
That is what I meant. It's a gundam timeline not a tomino timeline. Lots of great non-gundam stuff is in between.

But I did forget to mention Ring of Gundam which Tomino did work on in that period between G-Reco and Turn A
>>
>>14032399
>oh is that the display at gundam front at odaib-
>wait is the the granzon
>laevatein
>loads of non-gundam stuff
>it's some guy's fucking collection
>mfw
>>
>>14032719
Isn't G-Reco technically UC ?
>>
As someone said, every franchise experiences fatigue if it goes on long enough. Nothing can keep its fans' attention forever.
>>
>>14035913

In the far, far future of the Universal Century. It's like how the TV shows Rome and NCIS could be in the same continuity, so much time has passed that they don't really have a chance to connect directly.

Turn A Gundam is in there as well, a few thousand years after the UC but five hundred to a thousand years before G-Reco.
>>
I sometimes wonder if modern Gundam can actually attract new long term fans since most of the works in the 21st century seem to have the goal in mind, whether it would actually succeed is another matter since I feel that only Gunotas are the one that will actually watch and bitch about those shows

>>14032399

>People say G-reco and IBO ratings are at like 2% which sounds pretty fucking terrible (I know nothing about Japanese audience share), were things in the past even worse?

Well, the original Gundam series had an average of 5.3% rating in its original run with subsequent re-runs later on had much higher ratings. As far as modern ratings is concerned, I would assuming having a lot more TV stations accessible, DVR, and other methods of content consumption will probably affect modern TV ratings but I didn't expect Gundam series of the 2010s to have ratings this low by comparison
>>
>>14032457
>the G-Reco movie
Hah
>>
>>14036378

It's not actually bad for G-Reco. For whatever reason, they decided to air that show at 2am on a Tuesday. Late night anime only see ratings above 2% when they're major hits. The show managed a 1.8% average, so it's not like the show flopped by airing so late. And that's not counting the people who streamed or DVRed the show.

IBO, on the other hand, is on Sunday evening. This is one of the biggest timeslots around, and the show IBO inherited it from had ratings between 3-4%. While IBO does have a higher average than G-Reco, the ratings for the second cour have been horrible. One episode got as low as 1.2%.

Basically, they would expect higher ratings for IBO than G-Reco based on timeslot alone. Not to mention how IBO got a lot more promotion, a wider variety of merchandise, a dub announced right when it started. IBO is the one they expect to go places.

Streaming is not as big in Japan, and the show is licensed to only air on TBS and MBS.
>>
>Was Gundam fatigue a real thing?

No

The best selling Gundam of the 90s was the third one and it's one of the most popular period. The only people who talk about Gundam Fatigue are X fans who need an excuse for their series doing bad.
>>
>>14036482
>Wingfags actually believe this
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.