[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post opinions that you fucking respectfully disagree with >the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: what the fuck.png (217 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.png
217 KB, 500x276
Post opinions that you fucking respectfully disagree with

>the plot and characters don't matter, I'm just here for the robot fights. Who cares about the surrounding context
>>
>>14025485
>being a plotfag

It matters, but not nearly as much as everything else.

This is why G-Reco isn't appreciated.
>>
>______ is so bad it's good
>>
>he's a big guy
>>
>Newtypes are a bad concept that detract from serious war stories.

Newtypes are not a bad concept.
Newtypes are a poorly utilized and hastily introduced concept that after subsequent entries has lost the mysticism that made it such a nice idea in the first place.

Give me more acidtrips and peering into the mind of your enemy and less naked skype calls and this could be a very intriguing concept. Explore more of this newtype instant connection bullshit like with Kamille, Four and Rosamia. Well maybe not Rosamia.
We can't just have the miracle at the end of CCA repeating itself several times over and people having essentially having imminent death activated psychic-Skype calls all the time, if they kept it kinda ominous and dreary it'd make for some nice moments.
>>
>>14025485
Sometimes this matters, sometimes it doesn't. I watched 00 because I thought the GN-X and the Brave Commander were fuckin sweet suits, and ended up hating most of the cast for being insufferable homicidal psychopaths willing to backstab each other and kill civilians on a moment's notice.

Still think the GN-X and Brave Commander are the best though.
>>
File: 1451983922872.jpg (235 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
1451983922872.jpg
235 KB, 1280x854
>>14025549
To be fair, Tomino started it. Zeta's super beam sword, ZZ's beam barrier, and basically everything from Victory.
>>
>>14025485
>It was totally natural that Athrun and Cagalli got together in Seed.

Nope.
Before Kira found out that Cagalli was his sister , Athrun met Cagalli twice. Both of those times Cagalli tried to murder him.
Now compare that with Kira, who had like 20 episodes with her.

The only reason why Athrun got with Cagalli was because she couldn't be with Kira.
>>
>>14025540
> for you
>>
>>14025489
This. As long as the show is entertaining to watch I can't give a flying fuck as to how "stupid" the plot is. Naturally, a good plot helps, but a "bad" plot doesn't detract from the experience unless there's not much else going for it.
>>
>>14027087
I feel as though I should add that I don't care if there is an overarching plot or not. It genuinely does not and should not matter for most anime.
>>
>Big Bang Theory is bad and nerd blackface
>>
>>14025485
>people who defend the logic of real robots

I get it, there's this intense desire for realism. I like that too, i'm a big fan of hard scifi. but let's be honest, aside from maybe the very basic premise of the original gundam (construction robots are useful in space, and as with everything people make they end up weaponized) mecha in general is not logical. and that's okay! it's fiction, it's cool, and whether your robots are close to reality or have universe altering space magic powers, it's fine by me.

I do however get into an autistic tizzy whenever i see incorrect space physics in shows that are ostensibly "realistic." so for that reason i prefer super robot shows since they make very little pretense of anything other than space magic being the cause of things
>>
>>14027087
>>14025489
>plotfag

Really this is a word now?

That's fucking dumb just watching a show for the robots, I mean, there's nothing wrong with that but saying a show is good solely for the robots and not caring about anything else isn't really looking at it as an actual opinion. See this is why I don't like Plus. I love the robot fights and music but hate everything else about it
>>
>>14025553
>homicidal psychopaths willing to backstab each other and kill civilians on a moment's notice
There's literally only 3 people in the entire show like that.
>>
>Well the show may have been decent but there's too many girls in it so I won't watch it.
>>
>>14025489
G-Reco is not appreciated because watching some 70 year old autist banging toys together on screen with no coherent plot or purposeful story that goes anywhere is literally toddler entertainment.
>>
>>14025485
>______ is shit. The only reason people like it is because ______ made it.
Also
>my favourite character died so it's shit

Also any declaration of "its shit" with absolutely no reasoning behind the opinion or any acknowledgement that it is just an opinion in the first place
>>
File: gbf-reasons.jpg (216 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
gbf-reasons.jpg
216 KB, 1280x1440
>>
>>14025489
Greco has a story but it's just clunkily told at times making it difficult for some people to follow
>>
>>14027149
Are you saying you disagree with that or you agree with that?
>>
>>14027105
>just watching a show for the robots
By saying I don't care about the plot I don't mean I only watch it for robots. This is something I apply to anything I watch. As long as I have fun watching it for whatever reason I don't care if it suffers in some area. I know this is /m/ but really, I have never watched anything "for the robots". Sometimes the robots might put me off from watching a show, but I'll never watch something just because I like the mecha in it.
>>
>>14027151
I agree.
>>
>>14027138
>autist banging toys together
>literally just toddler entertainment
Where do you think you are anon?
What do you think you do here anon?
Who you think you are anon?
>>
>>14027087
This is the same logic VVVfags used.
>>
File: aida-square2.jpg (83 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
aida-square2.jpg
83 KB, 640x360
>>14027150
Considering the number of people confused by this I worry for our survival as a species.
>>
>>14027175
Oh no! VVVfags!
>>
>>14027150
I didn't find it hard to follow, I found it hard to give a shit about.
>>
>>14027203
So you're retarded
>>
>>14027175
That's a good point. Let me add to the OP topic

>This opinion reminds me of [insert anime I hate] (read: Valvrave) so it sucks and all the fans of it suck
>>
>>14027218
Like clockwork.
>>
>>14027203
That's fine. Once you realize the plot is only the vehicle taking us from one moment of cinematographic expression to the next, you'll be able to appreciate many more works on an even deeper level.
>>
>>14027105
>saying a show is good solely for the robots and not caring about anything else
>"[Plot] matters, but not nearly as much as everything else"
>>
>>14027175
Kafka trap deployed!
>>
>>14025485
>mediocrity is preferable to trying and failing
>a show's only worth is in being entertaining and if you try to derive any other sort of value from it you're an idiot
>CGI is always bad / traditional is always good
>If I don't understand something, it's the staff's fault, not mine / it's the show's fault I'm not enjoying things

>Japan has shit taste except for when they like what I like
>sales are always underwhelming for things I hate / acceptable for things I like

Really, you can umbrella all of it under the banner of
>everything I say is right / everything you say is wrong
because fuck people who play this schoolyard discourse game of needing to be right and always have the last word.
>>
>>14027309
A lot of those are opinions that crop up because the majority of the time they're correctly applied to specific examples. But I agree, people complain about, say, CGshit when it looks decent, just by virtue of it bring CGI.
>>
>>14027178
You Grecofags constantly give completely different interpretations of that line, all the while saying "It's so obvious, duh!"
>>
>>14027352
Not really. Without even pointing out that opinions are opinions and everyone's entitled to their own (which is where "trying and failing" becomes suspect because what fails for one doesn't necessarily fail for all regardless of the case), I hold the whole "not trying is better than trying and failing" notion as absolutely fucked up.

It's a bit hypocritical for me to say it because I'm guilty of risk minimization to the point of inaction, but failure always presents an opportunity to learn from something. Always try something, even if you're unsure about it working. Doom and gloom all you want about what happens if it fails, just imagine what happens if it actually works.

Someone's probably said it before, but life rewards those who take action. Striving for mediocrity is like trying to keep a sinking boat afloat; you've conceded to a losing proposition, and instead of seeking to fulfill a win condition, you've switched to a defeatist strategy of "how do I not lose."

That said, the entertainment industry being what it is means that the risk-minimization approach tends to be supported more often than not. But what can you do, a person may be smart but people can be profoundly boneheaded.
>>
>>14027110
>Ali Al-Saachez
>Nena Trinity
>Michael Trinity
>Wang Liu Mei
>Ribbons Almarck
>Regene Regetta
>Andrei Smirnov
>Alexandro Corner
>All of fucking A-LAWS
>All of Team Innovators

Hardly only 3 people. And these are just the ones that I remember off the top of my head.
>>
>>14025485
>Western
>Good

So clever, original, and hilarious every time I see it posted. I know you guys like Megas, even if you won't admit it.
>>
>>14025485
Well, for shows like 0083 and Unicorn, that's the only good thing about them.
>>
>escaflowne isn't shit
>>
>>14025600
>Athrun met Cagalli twice. Both of those times Cagalli tried to murder him.

In all fairness, the first of those was the old 'stranded on an island together' routine which is writing shorthand for getting two characters to look past their factional rivalries and see one another as individuals with the idea of friendship and/or romance ensuing.

Certainly not like this was the first time a Gundam title had played that card either.
>>
>>14028743
That's not true. There's also the music.
>>
File: ninjin.jpg (49 KB, 800x720) Image search: [Google]
ninjin.jpg
49 KB, 800x720
>>14028775
And dank memes
>>
>IBO is bad

It's my favorite post-2000 Gundam series so far.
>>
>>14028738
People who deny the quality of Megas XLR don't belong on 4chan anyway.
>>
>>14025553
My opinion is that you're opinion is shit and you're a dunkass.
>>
>If a character is dislikable, they're a bad character

I tend to take a lot of issue with the whole school of 'what I like > what you like' comments like this, but this one in particular just rubs me the wrong way. Not every character is meant to be lovable.

>gritty is realistic
Been seeing some versions of this around because of Thunderbolt. The problem with this school of thought is, often what looks more realistic is often just as unrealistic/stupid in different ways.
It gives the impression that the person is less interested in actually having a more 'hard' series, and more just one that puts on the airs of being 'hard', regardless of if it actually has any weight or if it's just putting up a front.
>>
>>14028803
But the opposite is also true, a character being a totally impenetrable fucking sperg mess doesn't automatically make them interesting or compelling.
>>
>>14028784
You are a sad little man
>>
>>14028947
No argument there, but you don't tend to see that argument used quite as much as you do the 'The cast is unlikable, therefore they're shit' line.
At least on here.
>>
>>14025509
>implying Mars of Desturction isn't a masterpiece
>>
>>14028803
One of the saddest things about animation, as a medium, is that you never have those moments where the "but muh realism!" crowd cries foul about something only to find out that it was actually done on set without special effects. They very rarely know as much about reality as they think they do.
>>
>>14028005

Those are literally all the bad guys though. What did you expect?
>>
>>14028803
>Not every character is meant to be lovable.

This is true. However at the same time a character that causes you extreme irritation while on screen doesn't give you much motivation to watch the show. It doesn't matter how realistic their asshatry is, as people won't sit through something they aren't liking just because it's "realistic"

Entertaining is the key thing.

A character can be a complete scumbag asshole and still be entertaining. And a character can be not remotely compelling or unique in any way, and still be entertaining.
>>
>>14029404
"Entertaining," by itself, is just rhetoric used by people who want to further their trainwreck agenda.

The true key is "compelling."
>>
>>14028797

Oh yeah, Megas has "quality" alright.
>>
File: 1422147217427.jpg (397 KB, 1368x999) Image search: [Google]
1422147217427.jpg
397 KB, 1368x999
>>14025485
>The Gundam Wing Zero Custom EW is a terrible mecha design

I love it but I exactly understand why people hate it.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.