[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
May somebody be kind enough to do a list of recent Super Robot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: This is a pretty good show.png (691 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
This is a pretty good show.png
691 KB, 1280x720
May somebody be kind enough to do a list of recent Super Robot animes that are worth watching? It's for a friend of mine, he isn't into old stuff, sadly, and he already watched TTGL, Diebuster and Gunbuster.

I was thinking of Daimidaler, but I would like to hear /m/ suggestions too.

Thank you.
>>
>>14016333
Firstly, nice triple threes. Secondly, how recently we talking here? Because I consider Gyrozetter fairly recent and it finished getting subs none too long ago.
>>
>>14016355
Well, nice dubs too.

He said around 2005, but he is watching Utena right now, so I don't take that too seriously.
>>
>>14016333
>I was thinking of Daimidaler, but I would like to hear /m/ suggestions too.
Fuck no, it is so lazy in its animations and designs it is repulsive; on top of that the moral is horrifically executed and the protagonists are (mostly) vicious fucks.

Anyway:

-Nobunaga The Fool
-Aquarion Logos
-G-Reco
-Aldnoah Zero
-Gargantia
-Majestic Prince
-Gundam Build Fighters
-Cross Ange
-Nobunagun (not technically mecha, but it counts as power armor so....)
-and Captain Earth (technically mediocre, but the main villain is well done and the mascot is too cute to ignore)

For your own safety avoid Valvrave and Iron Blooded Orphans, Dai Shogun too perhaps but that one isn't as bad just cheap ecchi shit.
>>
>>14016370
Taking that into consideration, things like the Dynamic Pro OVAs like Getter, Mazinkaiser, and Jeeg would probably be some good ideas. Shin Mazinger is a decent option after kaiser and maybe a bit more experience with Nagai, Godannar too since it's close to his cut off date. Also, consider trying to get him to read the Getter Robo manga at some point, though that will likely take some easing into for him.
>>
>>14016370
Tetsujin-28 might fit (albeit barely, since it's 2004). Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu is a decent fallback choice, even if AuraRoad suddenly stopped scrubbing for it.
>>
>>14016398
>the protagonists are (mostly) vicious fucks
That's not inherently a negative thing, though. More importantly than that,
>-Nobunaga The Fool
>-Aldnoah Zero
>-Cross Ange
are all awful. And saying Dai Shogun isn't as bad as cheap ecchi shit when it is that itself (especially the cheap part) is pretty odd.
>>
>>14016433
>are all awful.
Incorrect, CA has issues, but the other two were awesome.
>>
>>14016398
That seems like a laundry list of every hate show meme from the past couple years.
>>
>>14016472
You must have really low standards to consider those shows even remotely decent, let alone awesome.
>>
>>14016509
>replying to valvrager
>>
>>14016398
Man, I liked Daimidaler a whole lot. Sure it's an ecchi show, but it's also a pretty good throwback to old-school hotblooded protagonists. The animation is very often well done, and the designs aside from Daimidaler itself are pretty nice imo. Plus, the humor really worked well, I think. I found myself laughing out loud during multiple episodes.
>>
>>14016546
Fell for it hook, line, and sinker then, I guess.
>>
>>14016546
I am not valvrager
>>
>>14016579
That's what you think.
>>
>>14016579
Wew lad
>>
File: halp.png (33 KB, 654x497) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
33 KB, 654x497
IBO really is trash though, 2chan please stop it.
>>
>>14016594
Is that written in a way as to parody Savior in the Dark?
>>
>>14016333
>Super Robot
>worth watching
?
Go for MJP
>>14016398
>Super Robot
Like a third of that is "real"
>>14016476
Nobunagun was meme'd and hated on?
>>
>>14016611
>insults super robots
>suggests super robot
>>
>>14016602
Yes
>>
>>14016623
>>insults super robots
memes on*
>>
File: garo hates iron blood.png (888 KB, 1007x720) Image search: [Google]
garo hates iron blood.png
888 KB, 1007x720
>>14016602
Here is a hint
>>
File: 1420160588504.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1420160588504.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
Asides from self-refrential stuff like Concrete Revolutio there's a bit of a drought in the release of super robot shows in the last decade, at least compared to the number of real robot shows we've been getting. From 2010 to now all we've had as far as super robots go are

>SRW OG: The Inspector
>Star Driver
>Heroman
>Aquarion EVOL/Logos
>Mazinkaiser SKL
>Pacific Rim
>Daimidaler
>Captain Earth
>Comet Lucifer

And if you really want to pad the numbers you can throw in stuff like Gyrozetter and Danball Senki.

Meanwhile we've had 7 gundam series (8 if you include SD Sangokuden and 9 if you count the TV version of Unicorn that starts next month), let alone the numerous other real robot shows like the MJP/Valvrave/Gargantia threesome of 2013 and others like Argevollen, A:Z, Cross Ange, and Knights of Sidonia. Even Symphogear is more Super Robot in spirit than most modern mecha shows.

Basically we're in another rut of mainly Real Robot shows like in the 80s. There'll be one or two here and there, but it's gonna be mainly real robots for a while until either 1) Dynamic Pro stops milking Robot Girls Z and decides to actually make a new Mazinger/Getter anime 2) Imagawa comes out of hibernation to direct a new series 3) We get a new show that's a huge hit with the masses (Like Gurren Lagann levels of popularity) that spurs others to try and compete.
>>
File: THE BEST.png (551 KB, 1022x1094) Image search: [Google]
THE BEST.png
551 KB, 1022x1094
Logos is the best, 'nuff said
>>
>>14016717
MJP is more super than real, though.
>1) Dynamic Pro stops milking Robot Girls Z and decides to actually make a new Mazinger/Getter anime
Toei is the one responsible for it and gets most all the profits, stupid.
>>
Super Robot shows are a dead genre, it's basically realistic shit now. so good luck
>>
>>14017368
>it's basically realistic shit now.
good meme, but that's not actually true.

the real robot genre was a meme for about a decade before fading obscurity. every show now is a super. supers are what make big bucks. nobody gives a shit about realism in chinese cartoons.
>>
>>14016717
Jinraiger is coming out sometime this year, so there is that.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.