[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do Normal Suits work? In most iterations, the normal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
File: TTWKR.jpg (91 KB, 581x1024) Image search: [Google]
TTWKR.jpg
91 KB, 581x1024
How the fuck do Normal Suits work?

In most iterations, the normal suits appear to be skin thin and with no storage for oxygen.
Not to mention the helmets never appear to have a way to secure themselves to the suit. Pilots just slide them on and go.

So basically as they appear. normal suits have no radiation shielding, no insulation, no oxygen, and no way to keep in oxygen (also a bunch of other issues I can't be arsed to mention).
>>
>>14004479
They don't.
>>
>>14004479

MIT have designed a "biosuit" spacesuit that looks like a normal suit (unintentionally on both parties part I'm sure) because skin actually does a good job of regulating pressure and doesn't need help from extra materials. Plus the bulk of traditional spacesuits is shit. And most of the bulk is regulating skin pressure. Radiation shielding is handled by your colony, ship, mobile suit or whatever since you should never be out in space long enough for it to matter. Oxygen is in that little tank on the back I believe.
>>
They're more like flight suits than spacesuits. That doesn't make them make any more sense when used in a vacuum, though.
>>
>>14004479
There's a reason the suits used by non-MS pilots tend to look nore like traditional space suits.
>>
File: 1_461.jpg (62 KB, 461x694) Image search: [Google]
1_461.jpg
62 KB, 461x694
Like this. NASA and MIT designed these to work on Mars. Look it up.
>>
>>14004479
If I recall correctly. Normal Suits in the Original have Oxygen "Generators" attached to them. So they don't work.
>>
>>14004511
>>14004532
OP here. That's really damn cool.
>>
>>14004539
>what is a rebreather
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebreather
>>
>>14004532
I like how it always happens to be a woman wearing that suit in photos.

They know.
>>
File: 1439521670385.jpg (337 KB, 787x1112) Image search: [Google]
1439521670385.jpg
337 KB, 787x1112
>>14004592
Almost know
>>
>>14004599
>Implying Nasa doesn't have the entiery of tomino gundam in their library
>>
>>14004479
>no radiation shielding
How would you even know? There could be a thin layer of paraffin in there and we'd never see it. Presumably Minovsky particles being everywhere also provide a measure of protection, since they seem to block literally everything else over enough distance.
>no insulation
The vacuum of space is a great insulator to begin with.
>no oxygen
We don't know what kind of air mixture they're using. It's more likely closer to normal air than anything you'd find in a dive mix, because high pressures are not a concern in space. The largest factor in size and weight of a dive tank is the material it's made out of, so any material better than steel allows for more air with less mass and space. There is also the possibility of some kind of converter technology or catalyst that is capable of taking an amount of some chemical and turning it into a much greater quantity of breathable gas than could be compressed to the same size as that chemical.
>no way to keep oxygen in
Everyone's already shown off the biosuit, so.

What you should be asking yourself is how Amuro ever managed to fit into his space-tights or why they leave the cockpits of Gundams full of air when pilots just open the door in the middle of space 12 times a fight to yell at each other psychically.
>>
>>14004645
>yfw it's some mutated super algae that can recycle your breath into breathable air at no loss
>>
>>14004479
The ones in Zeta and ZZ are bulky enough to make plenty of sense, and in Zeta they go over the point that the helmets do have to be secured to the collar to make a seal and to keep it a tight fit.
>>
Is no one going to point out that OP posted an image that didn't have a single normal suit?
>>
>>14004511
> skin actually does a good job of regulating pressure
Not quite. Skin is airtight, but when exposed to vacuum you will actually swell up from the pressure difference. You don't explode, but you'll probably die of the bends as the pressure inside you drops. Skintight suits like the MIT Biosuit (And the Earlier NASA Space Activity Suit) work by providing counter pressure to keep you from swelling, thus keeping the interior of your body at the proper pressure.
>>
File: Normal suit.jpg (16 KB, 342x464) Image search: [Google]
Normal suit.jpg
16 KB, 342x464
>>14004479
>>14004728
>>
>>14004479
The suits are made of Gundanium.
>>
File: 1401050993617.jpg (63 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1401050993617.jpg
63 KB, 600x600
>>14004599
>>
>>14004479
It just werks
>>
File: 1447954772058.jpg (406 KB, 581x1296) Image search: [Google]
1447954772058.jpg
406 KB, 581x1296
>>14004479
updated
>>
>>14004963
> Shiro isn't on there
> Sven isn't on there
> Destiny has Kira AND Shinn on there
I really don't follow the logic of this.
>>
File: Ecole du Ciel 06 P001.jpg (266 KB, 840x1200) Image search: [Google]
Ecole du Ciel 06 P001.jpg
266 KB, 840x1200
>>14005015
If you're gonna be picky, you might as well complain about the fact that the picture includes Hathaway and Tobia but no other protagonists from manga or novels such as Asuna, Fon Spaak, Shuuji Kurosu and others.
>>
>>14005015
They have Domon on there and that's not really a normal suit as much as it is magic tights that let him pilot his magic robot as if it was his own body so I don't think the creator thought too hard when making it.
>>
>>14004617
>the reason nasa funding is so low is because they are planning a colony drop
>>
I always assumed the "thinner" suits were exclusively pilot suits. Like, they're not meant to be outside of their vehicle for long periods of time, and having too bulky a suit would impede the pilot at the controls.

In a lot of gundam series, there's "bulkier" suits as well that seem like they're more the norm for non-pilots, or if someone needs to go out into space for long periods of time.
>>
>>14004532
The Gemini and Mercury era spacesuits aren't that bulky, either. Hell, between that and how shiny they are people would cry fake if they were used in a movie today. The bulky spacesuits only really started with the Apollo program.
>>
File: .jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
>>14005427
yeah
>>
>>14005045
>>14005220
Both good points as well. Also why Tobia AND Kincade? For main Crossbone and then Steel 7 or something? It just kind of baffles me what the thought process was.
>>
>>14004479
There are prototype space suits in real life that are skin tight and just short of functional. The reason they don't work is because the engineers couldn't solve the problem of micro leaks in the fabric in areas around joints.
>>
File: Cui_Space_Type.jpg (498 KB, 1600x1236) Image search: [Google]
Cui_Space_Type.jpg
498 KB, 1600x1236
>>14005427
Pretty much. Any time they show people needing to go outside for any duration it's a more traditional extravehicular suit. But anyone that's supposed to be an active combatant and has a home vehicle nearby gets a flight suit.
>>
>>14005443
because Crossbone suits are best suits
>>
>>14005435

Weren't the bulky ones solely for EVA missions while the more slim ones were for flight and atmospheric (even if only in the thin atmosphere of the Moon) missions?
>>
>>14004582
That only extends how long your oxygen lasts. It doesn't make new oxygen.
>>
>>14005015
>Shiro has the same space suit design as Amuro.
>Sven has the same design as Kira's first suit.
>Kira and Shinn are from different factions, they have different designs.

Use your brain a little bit.
>>
>>14004479
>not remembering that the first time we see a normal suit being put on we are told that the helmet is triple-sealed
>>
>>14004479
>Radiation shielding

I'll give you that. Mostly, it's assumed that the mobile suit handles the rad shielding.

>Insulation

Not really an issue if you keep the pressure stable. Most of the "freezing" is due to the water boiling off and cooling the corpse. Chemistry goes all weird when you don't have pressure but space is actually a good insulator.

>Oxygen
Advanced rebreather tech.
>>
>>14004479
>>14005427

Is right, those are all the pilot suits. If you're a pilot, you don't want a bulky spacesuit getting in the way of controls. And your MS is more likely to just explode and kill you if it's damaged in battle. If you're able to eject, that's what Core Fighters are for.
>>
>>14004592

If I'm not mistaken, the woman in the photo was actually one of theead scientists on the project.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.