[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Majestic Prince
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: serveimage.jpg (298 KB, 1269x1329) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
298 KB, 1269x1329
Even though it uses heavy CG, it still looks promising.
This shit any good?
>>
>>13999031
I liked it, the battles we pretty good in my opinion. but I am not an expert on /m/ stuff yet.
>>
>>13999031
Pros
- Fairly good fights for CG
- Likeable cast, has their own sense of humour
- Plot is simple and wraps up well
- Overall very solid

Cons
- Plot may be a bit generic
- Cast's humour takes a few episodes to get use to
- Hirai face, if that bothers you
- Overall nothing particularly outstanding
>>
>>13999031
In b4 someone complaining about Skyboxes and spincam. (Why the fuck would any one complain about sky boxes? You might as well complain about matte painings)

It is CGI heavy, but it does it better than most do. The story and characters is standard stuff, but the characters are endearing enough people stick with it. And the action sequences are surprisingly good.
>>
The CG actually turns out to be pretty good, it's high quality in general and there are some really fantastic fights near the end.

Unfortunately the story is a whole load of absolutely nothing, and it's pretty heavy on the Hiraiface.

Not a bad show, just really forgettable and nothing original or new.
>>
>>13999031
Average but the fights look really good and are fluid.
>>
>>13999031
Nothing particularly outstanding, but it's consistently entertaining and the fights are cool.
>>
>>13999060
>implying matte backgrounds look anywhere near as bad and out of place as skyboxes

As expected from a MJPlebe.
>>
File: 1442537068550.jpg (408 KB, 1608x2256) Image search: [Google]
1442537068550.jpg
408 KB, 1608x2256
>>13999031
MJP has some of the best CGI animation out there, the later fight choreography is excellent and the final duel is one of the best animated fights of ANY anime ive ever seen.

the mechs are cool and get constant upgrades, main cast is fun and have great interaction and the world seems to work pretty well, too bad the bad guys are a little generic and forgettable outside of the handful of main enemies.

>dat Black 6 though
>>
>>13999050
>- Plot may be a bit generic
Considering when it was coming out, I don't think this is a con at all
>>
File: Majestic Trash.webm (684 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Majestic Trash.webm
684 KB, 1280x720
>>13999031
It's okay.
The choreography is massively overrated since it's only really good a few times (the battle on the school grounds comes to mind) and heavily relies on darting the camera around, but the CG is good and the characters are fairly fun. It's more of a character comedy first and foremost, really.
>>
>>13999170
>and heavily relies on darting the camera around
It's not just that, they change the character models when they're in motion to give them anime-style blurs which make them look great, while most CG shows before it would just move the models around.
>>
>>13999182
Please, you know the real reason it's praised is because the models are animated as fluid as diarrhea.

Also considering the ages long stigma against CGI I'm sure there's actual evidence that model deformation has existed prior to Orange's formation, buried under the usual shitflinging of FUCK CGI that plagued the 00's.
>>
>>13999212
Yes, and the animations look fluid because they aren't just making the model move, they're actually warping the models.

One of the entire points of using CG is so that you just create one model and animate it for the whole series, but that results in animations being just motion with effects in post, but MJP was one of the first places using CG to actually change the models themselves during the animated parts.
>>
>>13999145
calm down
>>
>>13999146
thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard
>>
>>13999234
Judging from how you typed out that sentence I highly doubt that.
>>
S2 FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>13999244
Will take a bit, they're building up funds through pachinko.

This is not a joke.
>>
>>13999031
MJP is living proof that execution matters more than the idea behind it. The concept is incredibly generic and unoriginal but the likeable characters, little setting touches and fight choreography with real teamwork really make this series.
>>
>>13999240
ya got me.. im often neglectful of thread propriety. you were right to highly doubt
>>
>>13999244
Announcement in a few months.
>>
>>13999228
And I will repeat, model deformation may have been a thing prior to even Orange's formation. There is an entire lost decade when it comes to the issue of anime CGI thanks to the arbitrary standards people evaluated it by.
>>
>>13999258
More like in a few weeks at Anime Japan
>>
>>13999244
AnimeJapan
>>
>>13999253
More that inoffensive fun has more widespread appeal than anything that dares to encroach on your comfort zone.
>>
It needs to be said that even the studio themselves admitted it's meant to be an advertisement before anything.

In interviews Orange were cited as trying to advertise their CGi animation outsourcing services and MJP effectively served as one huge demo reel where they could just try out stuff.
>>
>>13999292
No. There are shows that are ambitious and well-made. There are also shows that are unambitious and shitty.

But I'd rather take unambitious and well made over ambitious but shitty. Especially because even for its generic premise, MJP does a few things you very rarely see in other mecha shows.
>>
>>13999031
It's alright.
>>
>>13999306
Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say any of that.
>>
>>13999300
And judging by the amount of work they got, the strategy was successful.
>>
>>13999259
I believe Rinne No Lagrange used model deformation, and I know it used rotoscoping for some of it's action scenes.

That said I will agree with anon that MJP's cgi tried to make use of technique normally associated with traditional animation.
>>
>>13999300
They went a little too far with the "trying out new stuff" in MJP. I love most of Orange's work, but the show went overboard with the close-up shakycam effects. While it's nice to have the kind of dynamic camera work that CGI makes possible, it's also important to give the audience a clear view of what's happening.

Compare MJP's camera issues to what Orange has done in their other works (Fafner and Akito come to mind). The camera still moves all over the place, but it's a lot less jerky, and generally stays far enough away from the action to give a proper view.

MJP had very well done CGI for the most part, but it's clear that the show served as something of a learning experience for Orange. Their more recent shows look noticeably better as a result of the things they learned while making MJP.
>>
>>13999318
But your mouth looks so sexy
>>
File: Mock battle.webm (3 MB, 540x302) Image search: [Google]
Mock battle.webm
3 MB, 540x302
>>13999337
> the show went overboard with the close-up shakycam effects
Yeah, it's really aggravating in MJP.
>Compare MJP's camera issues to what Orange has done in their other works
I'd say that Akito has more spincam than MJP, but I'd prefer it in MJP where it's less metronomic than Akito...IF the camera was just a tad further away.
>>
WHERE IS KEIFAG?
>>
>>13999337
>The camera still moves all over the place, but it's a lot less jerky, and generally stays far enough away from the action to give a proper view.

Exodus did still have some issues I think with one or two scenes where the robots would move/turn way too fast, mostly thinking of some throwaway scenes with Mark Sieben. That is something I think they can stand to work on slowing down the action sometimes because they manage to give 'weight' to their animation sometimes than forget about it.

Like the intro fight of the Guardian in Comet Lucifer as awful as that show was had some really nice animation where it really felt like a giant stomping robot that would shake the ground as it lept around.

For the most part the Orange positiveness is they seem to be trying to improve, push and develop 3DCGi as an aid instead of a replacement with each effort they make. But they do also seem to realize you need to be able to switch between traditional 2D drawings for some scenes or draw details to make it more natural.

Dimension W's OP is actually a pretty good example of it as you have points you can't really tell if it's drawn or CGi without stopping the scene and looking carefully. Then some bits which seem purely CGi like the car bit is actually a blend.

https://youtu.be/FuRFMLDRKrY

BBK/BRNK and Sanzigen seems to be going in a different direction more akin to say GG Xrd in trying to push 3D CGi to just straight up replace everything and trying to imitate drawn techniques.

https://youtu.be/FQAXr29Qlq0
>>
>>13999629
>But they do also seem to realize you need to be able to switch between traditional 2D drawings for some scenes or draw details to make it more natural.

If you have to resort to drawings to portray something that otherwise is a CGI model, then I would argue somewhere along the lines you have fucked up.

It comes off as an admission of incompetence, that you weren't capable of animating the whole thing traditionally, yet couldn't make the CGI prop work in a given scene necessitating that you use the 2D drawing stunt double in its place.

I mean if you want to somehow composite things together such that an object has both hand drawn and computer modeled stuff, that's one thing, but stunt doubling is like the most obnoxious thing in animation. The only way it really works is if you decide to take a scene in an intentionally hyper-stylized form wherein as part of the visual continuum it makes sense that things are abruptly in a different style.
>>
>>13999685
I disagree with the other anon's premise. They don't HAVE to incorporate 2d, they just do as a stylistic flair. Ultimately it's up to a series' director, not actually Orange. You'll notice that not every Orange show does this. See Arise.
>>
>>13999031
fights are good. the characters simple but likeable, plot is nothing special even generic anc cliche though.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.