[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Macross is superior than Gundam.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: 1446089572846.jpg (128 KB, 500x614) Image search: [Google]
1446089572846.jpg
128 KB, 500x614
Macross has a far bigger universe, there are several colonies across the universe.

Gundam is fucking trapped on the Earth Sphere. If anything big happens, it is either the Zabi, the Deikun, the Titan reminiscent. That's it. The same fucking players, oh and Bright Noa too.

To escape this same shit Gundam has alternative universes like Wing, 00, AGE. But they are all crap with shitty designs and story. The only good Gundams I saw were from UC.

That's why Macross is superior.

Kawamori could make a new series that happened before the Frontier Series and there could be a giant epic battle without any retcon.

Also Valkyries designs are far superior than anything Gundam has done.

Also Macross' music is fucking better than anything Gundam has to offer.

Macross >>>>>>>>>>>> Gundam

Macross Delta will RULE!
>>
Macross is fun.

While Gundam keeps beating us over the head with the anti war and child soldier message.
>>
What the hell is Macross?
>>
>>13997596
>While Gundam keeps beating us over the head with the anti war and child soldier message.

I'm hoping IBO is anti-child soldier. I'm hoping that older blonde lady is "right" and Mari Okada isn't really wanting us to be happy that bloodthirsty preteens are witnessing their revenge. Everything tells me she isn't, but they're really pushing it with the upbeat music.

Uh, on-topic, there are a lot of exaggerated claims there. I love Macross, I love Gundam. Apples and oranges. It's actually refreshing that Gundam gives us space opera confined mostly to the Earth. Superluminal galactic civilizations are kind of overdone. I want something small-scale, or a galactic civilization bound by the speed of light.
>>
>>13997581
That pic is why gundam is better. I was thinking about getting into macross then I saw your pic.
>>
>>13997659
Idk I think it's a sequel for seed destiny
>>
File: 1356470355977.jpg (148 KB, 964x720) Image search: [Google]
1356470355977.jpg
148 KB, 964x720
>Macross has a far bigger universe, there are several colonies across the universe.
Theorietically, yes. However, That ultimately isn't true considering Gundam has multiple universes. Also despite your argument which is only accountable based on physical scale, Gundam's Universal Century is far more fleshed out, and ultimately is bigger for a consumer perspective.

>Gundam is fucking trapped on the Earth Sphere. If anything big happens, it is either the Zabi, the Deikun, the Titan reminiscent. That's it. The same fucking players, oh and Bright Noa too
You're using the exact same point again. Also once again AU's exist Like G. You're also completely writing off Late UC.

>To escape this same shit Gundam has alternative universes like Wing, 00, AGE. But they are all crap with shitty designs and story. The only good Gundams I saw were from UC.
First off, The only good gundams I've seen are/ were from the UC.
Next you're just writing off everything here based on your own opinion.

>Kawamori could make a new series that happened before the Frontier Series and there could be a giant epic battle without any retcon.
As I said earlier Macross isn't a fleshed out universe it's easy to not retcon when you have a timeline full of open space.

>Also Valkyries designs are far superior than anything Gundam has done.
I'd agree if we were talking about mechencial designt, but we're talking about mech design. Valkaries are extremely pleasing planes, however, outside of 7, I don't find the appealing mechs.

>Also Macross' music is fucking better than anything Gundam has to offer.
Well damn, a show where music is one of the main points has better music. Is the sky blue anon. SEED Destiny's sound track was better than any macross wing too

>Macross Delta will RULE!
I hope it does
>>
>>13997731
Don't listen to faggot OP and watch Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and then Do You Remember Love.
>>
>>13997722
>small-scale
To be fair, the stuff in Macross are pretty small-scale, they just move to other places occasionally.

Frontier mostly takes place around the colony fleet. Plus is just that facility testing the prototypes until the end where they rushed to Earth. 7, again, mostly the fleet until near the ending.
>>
>>13997764

Who is this semen demon?!
>>
File: g-boys-26.jpg (268 KB, 1260x860) Image search: [Google]
g-boys-26.jpg
268 KB, 1260x860
>>13997731
I was thinking about getting into Gundam then I saw this pic. I'll stick to Macross.
>>
File: we came to ask permission.png (1 MB, 1197x893) Image search: [Google]
we came to ask permission.png
1 MB, 1197x893
>>13997581
MS Gundam was so bad it was almost cancelled

SDF Macross was so good it got an extension
>>
>>13998348
uh...no.
MSG actually was cancelled and had to have a shortened ending. And the show itself only became popular as a result of reshowings of the MSG film trilogy becoming popular.

And SDFM stole a shitload of pages from MSG's story. It was, in fact, originally conceived and developed as a parody of MSG. Part way through development they decided they had enough material to make a run at a serious show, but you can still see a lot of Gundam in Macross. And everything after SDFM was floating rocks, song energy, fold bugs, ancient demons, etc in a downward spiral of bad ideas.
>>
Alto is cuter than Kamille
fact
>>
File: ShammyMilliome-SDF-NA.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ShammyMilliome-SDF-NA.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
>>13998304
Shammy, one of the original macross bridge bunnies
>>
>>13998372
>muh greety reelsum
Cancer.
>>
File: 1341267609129.png (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1341267609129.png
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>13998304
It is Shammy from the original SDF: Macross. Be careful though, she'll rip your pants off.
>>
>>13997581
Interviewer: So we're planning a page for fans who don't know you (Itano) or the original Macross.

Itano: Macross Ace (the magazine this is in) is a damned bishoujo character magazine isn't it? I call it "retarded", though. Retarded character moe magazine. I think Macross (the original) was popular because of its balance, 1/3 each of cute girls, robots, and songs. But now they say mecha won't sell, robots won't sell, so they turn it into a character-based anime AND they want the fujoshi. I hate the stench of that sort of thing and so actually don't want to be in any magazine articles related to that bullshit, but I said I'd cooperate if they let me badmouth shit and here I am.

Interviewer: I... see... (tears)

Itano: I DID watch all of Macross F. It's not fair to badmouth something without seeing it (chuckle).
So, like, there's one bit where a sniper in space mounts himself on an asteroid, right? But by doing so half his field of vision is gone. And asteroids aren't stationary so his aim is going to be really unstable. And then they use sniper rifles at point blank range? I notice this sort of stuff, you know.
It's well-drawn for a TV show and they were trying, but the relationships were half-assed and the heart of the drama is way too messy. Last time we had Minmei become a human failure, but this time it was the main character (laugh). People who like this rubbish have a totally different sense from me, so I'd really be happier if they didn't know who I was at all (laugh).
>>
>>13997581
>Macross Delta will RULE!
Let's not kid ourselves, SDF Macross was great but Kawamori and Satelight haven't put out a good show in years.
>>
>>13998788
I can feel Itano's asspain from here. Poor guy has a case of severe case of Rectal Ragnorok for not being asked back.
>>
>>13998788
[citation needed]
>>
>>13998793
>symphogear
>frontier
>>
File: Dirty Girl.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Dirty Girl.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>13998846
>>Bodacious Space Pirates
>>
>>13997581
I feel exactly the same way about macross as I do about gundam; there's a core selection of material that is really really good, and a vast amount of extraneous material that is really really bad
>>
... With the years I see in macross less and less /m/ related stories. Which is honestly what made the original macross successful back in the day. But today? Today is no different than Gundam's war is bad message.

Also the whole singer issue has become a staple of terribad love stories. Kawamori should stick to plating with Lego
>>
>>13998807
here's your reply shitposter-kun :^)
>>
>>13998846
>good
>>
>>13999156
Good enough to get five seasons
>>
Anime isn't real you fucking losers. Save your love for the real world. Stop acting like anime is real or better then real life. You're going to be sad and alone if you do nothing but watch anime. Nothing wrong with being antisocial but damn. Some of you weebs take everything too far. Why're you collecting foreign weapons you don't know how to use? That's red flaggy. Put you on a watch list when your clumsy ass sloppily cuts up your grandma cause she wouldn't buy you your narutos. Life is stressful, life is hard, there are times where everything and everyone sucks and I'm miserable. But I don't want to spend my life trying to escape or avoid my hardships and problems. Cause then I'll end up living an empty life. Never making friends. Never finding love. Never accomplishing anything. So. I don't want other people to let anime consume their lives and distract them from important things in life or from things they really want to do. Having hobbies and something you can use to take your mind off things is good. But don't let it be the only thing you care about.
>>
>>13999640
There are Victims and there are creators. Do you want to live your life as a victim? Bickering on the Internet and whining or lashing out when someone says something you don't like or that disagrees with your fragile point of view? I wouldn't be in this group if I didn't watch anime and manga too. :') The entire point of my post regardless of how rude I was was that people shouldn't take anime so seriously and let it entirely consume their lives. You can balance it. I don't understand why people take it so personally? Unless they think they're that bad. If what I said hits home that much then. Maybe there is a problem. wink emoticon if they take it so personally and identify with it. Did you ever think that maybe doing nothing but trying to escape is unhealthy and will get you nowhere? Don't play the victim. Some hardships and difficulties are unavoidable. But you can take charge. Every situation you come across in life shapes you as a person.
>>
>>13999168
Quantity =/= Quality
>>
>>13998372
>the show itself only became popular as a result of reshowings of the MSG film trilogy becoming popular.
Citation needed
>>
File: 1457704691551.png (374 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1457704691551.png
374 KB, 576x432
>>13997764
>First off, The only good gundams I've seen are/ were from the UC.

Heard you were talkin' shit like we wouldn't hear.
>>
>>13999683
It's a well-known fact, corroborated by various interviews with the staff.
Or just read Gundam Sousei.
>>
>>13999644

Most of us have lives, we just watch robot shows instead of, like, Bones or The Voice. Then we kill some time posting about it on /m/ because it's fun to talk about things you like with other people. Calm down, dude.

Personally I like both series, but as another poster said it's kinds apples and oranges. There hasn't been nearly as much Macross material so you don't get as many wild swings in quality.
>>
>>13999715
Are you seriously responding to blatantly obvious copypasta? How stupid are you?
>>
>>13999696
G is shit so he isn't wrong.
>>
>>13999640
nice copy-pasta normie
>>
>>13998855
>Mouretsu Pirates was 4 years ago
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>13999715

I'm in a weird boat when it comes to Macross vs Gundam.

I used to like both, but the more Gundam I watched, the more I hated Gundam. When I had only watched the original and a couple of AU's, it felt unique and interesting. But the more I watched the Gundam cataloge, the more I was forced to realize that Gundam had two ideas and one plot, and somehow they have stretched that out into a 35 year franchise.

Any individual Gundam show can be good, but taken as a whole Gundam gets so incredibly stale that it retroactively destroys what enjoyment I ever had in it. Where there was once fun, now all I have is bitterness.

Macross, on the other hand, manages to include music, transforming mecha, and a mandatory love triangle in every single show they make and still feel like they are doing different shit every time. They have never fought the same enemy twice (unlike trotting out the Zeon horse for the 10th time) our main characters rarely extend beyond the show they were in, and each show focuses on new themes and frontiers instead of remaining mired in different variations of the same setting.

I think its because Gundam made the mistake of revisiting the same watering hole too much in their first few sequels, and now they are not allowed to escape it. Even in their AU's, it took 30 years before they could so much as toy with the idea of a conflict that wasn't Earthmans vs Spacemans, and people are still salty that Trailblazer had aliens in it because its 'not how Gundam is supposed to work'. Even in an alternate universe that has nothing to do with UC, anything that isn't a copy of the One Year War is bad.
>>
>>14000339

You could make an argument that exploring variations on a theme can show nuance and depth, with each AU revisiting the same basic conflict putting their own spin on it.

I'm not going to do that, though, because the AUs that copied the UC most closely were the worst ones.
>>
>>13999640
>friends and relationships are better than robots
Get a load of this faggot.
>>
>>14000394
>>13999729
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.